Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1378 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 7, 2013, 06:23 ViRGE

xXBatmanXx wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 21:26:
Why Spike is hitting the reset button on its video game awards.

Cause it sucks - cash for awards system is dumb.
Yeah, but it's still going to be a cash for awards system. That won't go away until they get rid of the screwball sponsored awards and move to an Academy-like system that puts award selection in the hands of elite creatives instead of the beancounters.

Plus this doesn't change the fact that the show is still one giant ad vehicle for new games, as opposed to a celebration of the past year. If it's meant to be a serious awards show, then there shouldn't even be things like game premieres and awards for the most coveted game.

Though I will give them credit for finally realizing that video games are by and large not a performance art, and awards shows should not be presented as such.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Free Weekend
4. Re: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Free Weekend Dec 6, 2013, 06:59 ViRGE

rocketpcguy wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 00:39:
the trailer makes it look like the entire game was made by a single guy who learned 3D programming a few years ago.
Eh? What makes you say that?

News Comments > Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Free Weekend
1. Re: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Free Weekend Dec 5, 2013, 21:39 ViRGE

This is a fantastic game. Everyone here should at least try it out, if not purchase it outright.  

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 5, 2013, 16:39 ViRGE

Denthor wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 16:23:
I think the comparison to sponsor ship is pretty accurate - they are getting paid to endorse riots product not competitors. The onus is on the player signing the contract whether they think it's fair to them financially, if not they don't have to sign it.
Indeed. To be sure it's rough, but that's consistent with how professional sports already operate (and after all, this is eSports). If you're going to pay someone to promote your product, you want to be damn sure they aren't also promoting your competitor.

News Comments > More Battlefield 4 Issues
7. Re: More Battlefield 4 Issues Dec 4, 2013, 11:09 ViRGE

Verno wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 09:55:
It really annoys me that they're not only shipping DLC before fixing some pretty glaring problems in the game but also introducing even more bugs into the equation.
Keep in mind that DLC development primarily involves art and scripting, whereas the bulk of the bugs are in the engine. It looks better to fix the bugs first, but having the content teams twiddling their thumbs is not very productive.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced
16. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance Announced Dec 2, 2013, 15:40 ViRGE

BitWraith wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 15:30:
Orogogus wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 13:08:
Nurgel wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 12:48:
The Dawn of War series doesn't portray them as near as strong as they are in the novels and what not.

To be fair, neither does the tabletop game. Their stat line is about equal to an Ork, and there are a gazillion Orks in the universe.

Technically this is not true. The armor saves space marines get means that a squad of 10 of them can really wreak some havoc on a much larger squad of orks.
If the dice are on your side.

News Comments > PC Battlefield 4 Patch This Week
6. Re: PC Battlefield 4 Patch This Week Dec 1, 2013, 15:08 ViRGE

Simon Says wrote on Dec 1, 2013, 14:43:
Still no word on the Mantle patch that was supposed to be out by november?
Out by December. And late December at that.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 30, 2013, 14:35 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Nov 30, 2013, 13:38:
In the NE, they're still pretty rife. I can't remember a house I lived in or visited that didn't have a radiator system, whether it was the old fashioned tall ones that were typically placed right in front of a window, or the baseboard ones.
It's all about the age of the house. Out here in the West everything except the older of houses - anything built immediately post-WW2 or older - has forced air of some kind. And I'm thankful for it; forced air plus dirt cheap natural gas has been a very good combination.

News Comments > Black Friday Mobilization
1. Re: Black Friday Mobilization Nov 30, 2013, 14:15 ViRGE

They show you everything you can do with a Vita except play Vita games...  

News Comments > Thanksgiving Consolidation
2. Re: Thanksgiving Consolidation Nov 28, 2013, 14:03 ViRGE

NeOCidE wrote on Nov 28, 2013, 13:12:
Right on MS!!!!! Gears of War for free!!!!!!
Are you being serious, or is that sarcasm failing to translate through the Internet? Because I'm not sure anyone should be particularly excited about getting a 7 year old game for free.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 28, 2013, 03:01 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 14:03:
nin wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 09:15:
7 items most prized by computer collectors.

#8, a voodoo card.

Only if it's a Canopus.
Pft. It was all about the Quantum3D cards. Especially the Obsidian 2 X-24.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 25, 2013, 18:15 ViRGE

Panickd wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 16:32:
But then the XBox 360 version of UNO is known to be rife with amateur nudity these days too so what the hell do I know.
I know I'm going to regret asking this, but huh? Does the 360 version of Uno have cam capabilities or something?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 25, 2013, 17:14 ViRGE

Verno wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 13:00:
It may well turn out that the current market can only support one handheld but people said the same thing about the DS and PSP. The PSP platform turned out pretty well despite major problems in its first few years. I don't see a valid reason for Sony to cut and run yet.
The PSP was never this far behind the DS though. The PSP was the most successful non-Nintendo handheld ever, selling 80M units to the DS's 155M, or a ratio of about 1:2. But for the Vita/3DS that ratio is currently 1:7, and worse, Vita sales have been slowing down. At this point even an absurdly optimistic outcome for the Vita will have it come in well behind the 3DS and the PSP. It still has to nearly double its sales just to match the Game Gear.

Jivaro wrote on Nov 25, 2013, 13:09:
The last year, and in particular the last 6 months, has been pretty good though. More then enough games coming in regular intervals, and PS+ actually got more generous. Being able to use it with the PS4 (and in some ways with the PS3) is pretty damn cool as well. Sony screwed the launch up, but I have to give them credit for sticking with it. It's an awesome bit of hardware, so I am glad they didn't just walk away from it. Now if only they would bring the memory prices down to something even close to reasonable.
Have you seen the launch schedule for 2014 though? There's absolutely jack-all for new AAA games from non-Japanese developers. The only things that are confirmed are MLB14 and the Lego Movie Game. Everything else is either a hand-me down such as FFX or BL2, or an import. There's a distinct lack of new AAA games being commissioned at this point, which spells trouble for the Vita (and I say this dejectedly as a Vita owner).

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2013, 17:19.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - GOTY Nov 25, 2013, 06:01 ViRGE

Dirwulf wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 14:52:
How can you add "Game Of The Year" to your game title when it was no such thing?
I swear we've had this discussion before. These days GOTY means it's a re-release with the post-launch content packed in. Nothing more.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Nov 24, 2013, 14:59 ViRGE

Redmask wrote on Nov 24, 2013, 13:30:
this is genuinely starting to affect design as developers are forced to make design concessions for revenue tools in games. Ignoring it and hoping for the best isn't working, there are enough children with their parents credit card who impulse purchase everything they can for achievements and other knickknacks that companies throw at them.
And that's what this is really all about. If microtransactions were happening off in their own little universe, we'd probably complain some, but at the end of the day we'd laugh at the misfortune of others and not care.

But that's not what's happening. Even PC games are being designed to suck your wallet dry; whole genres of games are being abandoned (or radically altered) to make room for microtransactions. Just look at BF3/BF4 and their unlock packs, for a start.

And the worst part about all of this? It works. People are paying for these elements, and in large enough numbers that despite our pleas for what this is doing to gaming, the business side of the equation shows that this highly effective way to increase profits. It's not enough to merely be opposed to microtransactions, and it's becoming increasingly clear that we're going to have to kill their whales (figuratively speaking) if we want this problem to stop.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2013, 21:53 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:40:
ViRGE wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:36:
Because if there's a payout, it encourages other criminals to setup the same racket. The only way to keep that kind of crime at bay is to make sure it doesn't pay.

As if you paid it off they stop going after the bad guy? No it isn't over by a long shot.
The bad guy is in Russia. Or China. Or Nigeria. They're untouchable.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2013, 21:36 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 21:24:
Why is it a poor example? I've never understood this pig-headed no-negotiation bullshit. If I'm ever taken captive your fuckin' A I want my government to negotiate. Want to gamble with someone elses life that's their business. Just don't do it with mine.
Because if there's a payout, it encourages other criminals to setup the same racket. The only way to keep that kind of crime at bay is to make sure it doesn't pay.

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 19, 2013, 02:07 ViRGE

Blue, I think you misspelled "sponsors" there on the VGX article...  

News Comments > Need for Speed Rivals PC Capped at 30 FPS?
20. Re: Need for Speed Rivals PC Capped at 30 FPS? Nov 18, 2013, 00:56 ViRGE

ForgedReality wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 14:02:
EA: NOBODY WANTS AN ARCADE RACER, ESPECIALLY PC GAMERS.
Says you! I love arcade racers. Give me one of those and a PC version of Wipeout for when I get tired of the former.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 17, 2013, 13:25 ViRGE

PropheT wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 12:43:
My impression so far is that the reports of failures are really overblown by an extremely vocal and connected gaming community, but that said...it's probably still not a bad idea if you can afford it. I've been considering getting the extra warranty myself.
Ditto. There are absolutely malfunctioning/damaged consoles out there and people unfortunate enough to have one. But like most issues of this nature, the ratio of reported broken consoles to working consoles is going to be out of whack as the people with working consoles are going to be too busy playing on them to say anything.

1378 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo