Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1439 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 23:52 ViRGE

Sepharo wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 21:41:
The Broadcast Fee already hit here... I guess it's been on a for a few months but I didn't notice until the NFL playoffs hit. They encrypted the network channels that they previously were required by law to provide over the coax, so now my QAM tuner doesn't cut it. I have to get this little DTA or something like that, costs $10 a month... But http://www.Aereo.com is much better and only costs $8 a month, easy choice Comcast, thanks.
I'm not sure why you think it was Comcast's choice. Almost none of the nationals operates as a Must Carry anymore. Comcast has to pay all of them for carriage, just as they do traditional cable networks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2014, 23:49 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 18:54:
When will they ever learn?
ABC makes almost nothing off of Internet video ads, so despite the uptick in piracy this may not be a bad thing. Even a small number of viewers shifting their habits towards watching it on ABC proper would more than offset the loss.

Freeloaders that won't pay and won't watch ads are not ABC's customers, so what they do doesn't necessarily matter.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 20, 2014, 20:49 ViRGE

saluk wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 19:49:
Everyone I know who has a wii u really likes it. But the large portion of casuals who would buy in think it's some weird wii upgrade and they already have a wii.
Does anyone know someone who actually thinks this? Every person I know is aware that the Wii U is the new Wii. I see this rationale thrown around a lot, but it seems unfounded.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Stealth marketing: Microsoft paying YouTubers for Xbox One mentions. Jan 20, 2014, 19:16 ViRGE

Microsoft agreed to pay only for the first 1.25 million views in the promotion, putting the budget paid to video creators at a mere $3,750

Youtube talking heads are cheap whores. Who knew?

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 20, 2014, 19:12 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 18:25:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 18:16:
Data cap or not, 13GB for a patch is horrifyingly mind-blowing, even more-so when you factor in the day one patch which was 3GB. 16GB of patching in total for a game that has a clean install of ~20GB.

Is it being lazy with compression or a case of Capcom incompetence which seems to be their thing lately?

Maybe it's something like the vast majority of the game is encrypted to protect piracy and they can't patch it piecemeal or it screws up the hash?
While it's a good theory - signed archives definitely screw up delta patching - that's not the reason.

The article clearly points out that it's the upcoming DLC. They're distributing the DLC assets in the patch, which means everyone downloads the DLC whether they buy it or not. This being the problem with big DLC in multiplayer games, since to avoid completely fracturing the user base, you have to give everyone the DLC assets so that they can play with the players who have purchased the DLC.

Something has to be done about this, be it toning down the DLC, or at least making it a separate content pack that you only download if you play MP. You can't force everyone to download every bit of DLC like this just to play the base game. Bandwidth caps won't allow it.

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2014, 19:20.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 20, 2014, 19:06 ViRGE

SpectralMeat wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 11:57:
LOL!
How about a headset that detects your rage shuts the console off for you and walk you the fook outside to get some fresh air!

In other news Microsoft paying YouTubers for Xbox One mentions
Edit: I see we have a dedicated news item for this now: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/148350/evening-consolidation

This comment was edited on Jan 20, 2014, 19:14.

News Comments > Metacritic Analysis
16. Re: Metacritic Analysis Jan 20, 2014, 19:02 ViRGE

robdot wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 11:06:
I dont know how anyone could put any weight on the user scores at metacritic.
Ditto. The user reviews are primarily fanboys who will love a game no matter what (9/10), or disgruntled players who feel that any imperfection (or change they don't like) deserves a 1.

Most people are merely content or discontent with their games. Which doesn't offer a lot of motivation to write a review. It's a very strict case of the silent majority.

News Comments > 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games
52. Re: 2013's Top Free-to-Play Games Jan 20, 2014, 18:57 ViRGE

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 10:09:
God damn people are stupid. All the tech illiterate kids world wide feeding.
Truth. Dumb people/rich kids are going to be the death of this industry since they're easier to wrangle money from.

InBlack wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 10:15:
Yeah I guess I was under the same rock, never heard of No1. Suprised that TF2 is that low on the list, but then again its been around for ages...
On the contrary. I'm surprised TF2 is that high in the list. If you're paying for TF2, you're doing it wrong.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jan 20, 2014, 18:13 ViRGE

Aww.

Though the fact that they try to spin it as a positive thing is... odd. It would have been more meaningful to say it costs to too much and that they're cutting it for that reason. The idea that getting rid of it will improve editorials is preposterous.

News Comments > IGF Finalists Offered Steam Greenlights
1. Re: IGF Finalists Offered Steam Greenlights Jan 20, 2014, 18:11 ViRGE

At what point does Valve cease being a distributor and become a publisher?  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Free Weekend
17. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 08:46 ViRGE

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 08:00:
yuastnav wrote on Jan 17, 2014, 02:46:
Meh, didn't like Saints Row IV. The superpowers got boring after about 10 hours and the game is way longer than that, although I rage quit after the game crashed halfway through the last mission. Didn't feel like doing it again.

And because you had superpowers there was almost no point in driving/flying the vehicles, which was a shame.

Oh well, the second Saints Row is still the best. Good mix of ridiculouseness and "modern drama".

Nailed it right on the head. SR2 is still the best game out of the series.
Perhaps if we're talking about the consoles. But the PC port is not fit for human consumption.

News Comments > Octodad This Month
8. Re: Octodad This Month Jan 17, 2014, 05:36 ViRGE

Blue, the embedded trailer is broken. It looks like the URL is malformed.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Free Weekend
15. Re: Saints Row IV Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 05:15 ViRGE

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 21:44:
Suppa7 wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 21:38:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 16, 2014, 19:24:
The bad thing is once you get superpowers less than 1 hour into the campaign you never have to drive again.

That was kind of the point, the driving in SR3 was only an aside anyway used to ferry you from mini-game to minigame.

They'd really have to basically change the characteristics of the vehicles into extreme futuristic/fantasy to match the speed/crazyness of the superpowers they put into the game and tthat wouldn't have been a bad idea.

That would have been great. There's already some of it with the funky Zin cop cars and hover bike things.
My thought exactly. The cars aren't very useful, but the VTOL bikes can still get you around faster than your superpowers can, especially if you have to cross water or go through downtown.

News Comments > Company of Heroes 2 Free Weekend
1. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Free Weekend Jan 17, 2014, 05:10 ViRGE

Fun game. Definitely worth picking up, even more so at $14.  

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ending
18. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 19:26 ViRGE

harlock wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 19:01:
theres no way they will just let anything and everything get through.. bandwidth is not an unlimited resource, and they have to host and deliver this content too, as well as updates

they got to have some system for keeping it tight
Well Valve does get their cut from every sale. So maybe limit F2P options to developers with a track record, and perhaps clamp down on the ability to generate unlimited Steam keys for free (to keep devs from selling everything outside of Steam while shifting delivery to Steam).

13. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 18:15 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 18:05:
ViRGE wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 17:48:
But we're already dealing with crap today, so I'm not sure it's fair to lock out indies (since not being on Steam can break a game's revenue) while big publishers are free to release their own crap.

Just being on Steam doesn't equate to revenue. You need to be on Steam AND get mentioned in order to sell. There are plenty of excellent apps on the itunes store that hardly sell any copies because they never get mentioned on the front page. Steam is going to have the exact same issue.
Just so we're clear I completely agree. Steam alone isn't your meal ticket; you still need to provide something consumers want, and inform them about the product. But Steam is the gateway to PC gaming; if your game isn't on Steam, it's not available to a lot of buyers, as they won't buy a game that's not on Steam (or 1st party titles on UPlay/Origin). So to have a shot as a developer, you need to be able to sell on Steam.

News Comments > Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details
9. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 18:11 ViRGE

Graham wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:18:
Dota 2 released in 2013.

Largest growth for Steam in 2013: Brazil and Russia.

Yeah.
Indeed. Removing all of the accounts that only have F2P games would probably return a more useful metric.

News Comments > Star Swarm/Nitrous Engine Trailer
5. Re: Star Swarm/Nitrous Engine Trailer Jan 15, 2014, 18:08 ViRGE

Blue, this is the Concursion trailer, not the Star Swarm trailer.  

8. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 17:48 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:18:
Panickd wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:14:
His theory is that any developer will eventually be able to put their games on Steam.

And won't that make Steam so wonderful to attempt to buy things from...

It'll basically turn it into any app store. Where there's a few good things buried amidst millions of pieces of crap.
It's not as if Steam doesn't already sell crap games. That titles like A:CM and Ride to Hell are sold on the service means that it's clearly not functioning as a quality filter in the first place.

If Greenlight goes away, this would mean the ratio of indie titles relative to big publisher titles will vastly inflate - for all the problems and benefits that brings. But we're already dealing with crap today, so I'm not sure it's fair to lock out indies (since not being on Steam can break a game's revenue) while big publishers are free to release their own crap.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2014, 10:25 ViRGE

ACL was a pretty mediocre title on the Vita, both from a tech perspective and a gameplay perspective. I'm going to be surprised if it sells well on the consoles.  

1439 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo