Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1223 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 24, 2013, 17:45 ViRGE

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 24, 2013, 15:34:
The only problem with the last controller was the directional pad was crap.
Which the new one apparently fixes, which would make it just about the best controller ever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 24, 2013, 07:42 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Aug 23, 2013, 12:34:
Wait, are they capping the FPS at 30 for the PC version of NFS: Rivals too? Because that would be really, really dumb.
I imagine we won't know for sure until it launches on the PC. But they'd hardly be the first game to cap the PC version at the same framerate as the consoles.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 23, 2013, 23:07 ViRGE

Panickd wrote on Aug 22, 2013, 21:07:
On the Vita/PS3/XBLA people expect to pay more so they do. iOS developers went in "race to the bottom" mode and now they've ruined that market for anyone who actually wants to make any money for their work.
Exactly. While the hardware itself is another issue entirely, in terms of the marketplace the gaming market for iOS/Android is incredibly unhealthy. The barrier to entry is so low that it's practically non-existant, leading to far too many games of questionable quality. The end result is as you've noted: a race to the bottom, which has seen a handful of people become winners, and a vastly larger number of people become losers.

The worst part is that the "winners" are generally companies who are more manipulative/exploitative of customers, rather than companies who make great games. The free + IAP business model forces gameplay to come second so that monetization can come first. This results in terrible games that have more in common with heroin than Half-Life (hey, I needed an H). Sure, you have lots of free games on phones, they're just generally awful, even the popular ones.

As Roach noted, on the Vita you don't have this. Although the mechanisms are there for free + IAP, that's not the direction developers have gone. In fact the games that try to go this DLC/IAP heavy route get slammed and ignored; Ridge Racer for the Vita being a great example of how Vita buyers will write you off if you try to nickle and dime them. Consequently the Vita marketplace is a lot healthier (in so far as these smaller games are concerned). Buyers are willing to pay for a good game upfront, and are rewarded with games that focus on gameplay first as the developers are freed from having to be concerned with monetization.

You won't be the next Rovio on the Vita, but as long as your game is good you also won't end up being a starving developer as so many iOS/Android developers end up becoming.

News Comments > Rayman Legends Demo
4. Re: Rayman Legends Demo Aug 22, 2013, 19:44 ViRGE

I for one am definitely looking forward to the full version of Rayman Legends. Origins was an absolutely fantastic game - the best 2D platformer in at least a decade - so I'm excited to see what they have learned from Origins and if they can further tighten things up. The new kids need to be reminded as to why 2D platformers are so awesome.

NotOneOfUs wrote on Aug 21, 2013, 14:43:
A game that's a multiplatform sequel getting a demo on the PC a week before release? What is this, the 90s?
Ubisoft has handled Rayman very differently from their usual AAA titles. The PC version of Origins, though not concurrent with the console release, was released completely without DRM. I'm still waiting to see if they do the same thing on Legends.

If there's no Uplay I may have to adjust my Hate Meter for Ubisoft. Weird.
Funny enough this demo was already on Uplay last week. However it wasn't listed on their website, so if you didn't know where to look you would never find it.

News Comments > BF4 Open Beta in October; BF4 Premium & Battlepacks Detailed
30. Re: BF4 Open Beta in October; BF4 Premium & Battlepacks Detailed Aug 20, 2013, 22:13 ViRGE

ColoradoHoudini wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 19:14:
I'm still waiting for the next "must have" PC FPS...with the following:

1. User made maps
2. User made mods
3. User-owned and run servers
4. A dev that remembers who got them to the dance, and also remembers how to treat that gamer

If we all could just convince the masses how it could/should be..if only

5. No stats progression and no itemization. Everything for everyone all at once. It's a FPS, not an RPG. Let player skill (and only player skill) dictate the outcome.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 20, 2013, 22:08 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Aug 20, 2013, 21:51:
To each their own obviously, but this reeks a bit of exaggeration theatre to me. You can't stay online without using your "humanness?" What?
Growlaw has always been a bit of a drama queen site. Some of the work they did was very good, but at other times they took the least pragmatic route.

News Comments > WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay
14. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 20, 2013, 12:06 ViRGE

I don't know why everyone is being so down on this being a subscription game. We need more subscription games. Right now the feedback developers are getting from fickle gamers is that they need to create more P2W games, which leads to gameplay coming second so that nickle & diming can come first.  

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 19, 2013, 23:55 ViRGE

Kitkoan wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 22:13:
Since you missed it the first time, I'll make sure to repeat it. In bold so you might see it now.

EMULATORS ON THE N7. Everyone I know always takes full interest in my phone and tablet when they find out they can play things from Mario Cart on the Snes to the newest Pokemon Black/White 2. And many are aware of these and more keep learning. Suddenly, it's not just crappy little games, but an entire library of loved games people played and want to play again.
FWIW, I've always considered emulators to be a specious argument. Why are you buying new hardware just to play old games poorly? You've been able to play old games for years on other, better pieces of hardware with proper controllers. A tablet meanwhile is poor for both new games and old games alike.

News Comments > No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year?
4. Re: No GFWL for Batman: Arkham Origins - GFWL & AOE Online Ending Next Year? Aug 19, 2013, 21:15 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:49:
So what happens to the games that require GFWL?
It would be equivalent to playing them offline, I'd assume.

News Comments > WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay
2. Re: WildStar Announces Subscriptions or Play to Pay Aug 19, 2013, 21:06 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 20:51:
The have balls coming out with a pay to play game.
They have balls to copy EVE-Online's PLEX model, too. It works very well for EVE, but it's a big gamble on something that isn't a niche game. So it will be interesting to see how their CREDD system pans out.

News Comments > Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator Version 2.0
1. Re: Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator Version 2.0 Aug 19, 2013, 21:05 ViRGE

I love the concept of Artemis. The problem is that it's hard to find enough people as nerdy as me to play it locally.  

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 19, 2013, 20:25 ViRGE

Julio wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:59:
Vita definitely needs more decent games. Technically I'd love one, but there's really not much point with nothing to play.
It gets a little better each month. Dragon's Crown on the Vita is quite good, and Rayman Legends will be the September blockbuster. Unfortunately those games are ports, so while they're good games they're not games you have to buy a Vita for. It still lacks good exclusives.
Kitkoan wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 17:16:
The ps vita is still going to be a hard sell at that price. For just $30 more, you could buy the new Nexus 7 with 16 gigs, and has a lot more games for a lot less (and this doesn't consider emulators, including that new DS emulator that works pretty much perfectly). And the Nexus 7 does a hell of a lot more too.
The N7 definitely does more. But are we seriously going to argue that the Android game catalog is anything but trash? The entire Android gaming environment is based on crappy little games that can be played on a touchscreen in 2 minutes, the whole time trying to nickle & dime the user. You simply don't see games comparable to traditional full price titles on Android; the prevailing consumer environment is all wrong for it.

News Comments > 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned
18. Re: 0x10c in Carbonite; Community Version Planned Aug 19, 2013, 20:24 ViRGE

ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2013, 09:51:
That sucks, I was looking forward to it. What does he mean by "small games"?
Something he can develop on his own in the span of a couple of months. Longer than his recent 7 day game dev stint, but not nearly as long as it would take to develop something like Minecraft or 0x10c.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Steam Preloads
13. Re: Saints Row IV Steam Preloads Aug 17, 2013, 06:50 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 04:56:
entr0py wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 03:58:
ViRGE wrote on Aug 17, 2013, 00:24:
I have to say I'm pleased with how Volition/Deep Silver has handled the launch of SR4. They've put out a ton of gameplay videos before hand, let the press evaluate the game and publish reviews ahead of time (letting buyers see reviews and still get in on the pre-order bonus), and they even offered a discount to SR3 owners. This is such a vast departure from the bait & switch launch tactics of most publishers that it's quite refreshing.

That said, the fact that Enter the Dominatrix was used as the base of SR4 rather than released as a separate SR3 DLC remains a disappointment, but all things considered I feel like they've more than made up for it.

I don't know, as a consumer I distrust early reviews and have the feeling they're granted in return for favors. It's just an anecdote but I think the first exclusive early review of Dragon Age II was %100. Assuming publishers have full discretion over who gets copies, it's a good way of keeping the gaming press in line.

When a single publication is given a world exclusive first review, then what you say is true. But there's a big difference between that and lifting an embargo on all reviews. A world-exclusive review will always be very positive, as that's the only reason why a publisher would allow it to break embargo. On the other hand, when an embargo is lifted on all reviews, the publisher is allowing reviewers to give whatever score they want.
A very good point. If the only early SR4 review was a single review it would definitely be reason to be weary. But in this case there's (at least) 29 different reviews of the PC version from the usual suspects, so I don't expect there to be a need to be concerned about any funny business.

News Comments > Saints Row IV Steam Preloads
7. Re: Saints Row IV Steam Preloads Aug 17, 2013, 00:24 ViRGE

I have to say I'm pleased with how Volition/Deep Silver has handled the launch of SR4. They've put out a ton of gameplay videos before hand, let the press evaluate the game and publish reviews ahead of time (letting buyers see reviews and still get in on the pre-order bonus), and they even offered a discount to SR3 owners. This is such a vast departure from the bait & switch launch tactics of most publishers that it's quite refreshing.

That said, the fact that Enter the Dominatrix was used as the base of SR4 rather than released as a separate SR3 DLC remains a disappointment, but all things considered I feel like they've more than made up for it.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 16, 2013, 20:33 ViRGE

Tom wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 17:59:
Paywalls are stupid. Whenever I hit one, I just go to Google News and it's absolutely trivial to find hundreds of alternative sources for the same story. Paying a subscription fee for news is obsolete.
And yet it still costs money to collect news. So if not subscriptions and not advertising (since advertising doesn't work), how does one pay for a news service?

News Comments > Games for Windows Live Marketplace Closes Next Week
13. Re: Games for Windows Live Marketplace Closes Next Week Aug 16, 2013, 01:24 ViRGE

nin wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 20:43:
Keep in mind, it's only the store. So what does that mean for people (schmucks) who bought DLC through it?

Nothing changes there. They will still be able to access their purchases and DLC. MS just isn't selling games anymore.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2013, 04:45 ViRGE

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 00:09:
Stupid sensationalist headline. Or put differently, Click Bait. (I sadly clicked)
I genuinely feel dumber for having read that article. Calling it "bad" would be a gross understatement.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Arms Deal Update
1. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Arms Deal Update Aug 15, 2013, 04:33 ViRGE

I can't say I care for CS, but all the same my condolences to the CS players. Microtransactions have claimed the corpse of yet another game.

As for the keys, it seems to me that Valve has mastered the gaming equivalent of pinkwashing. Go ahead, spend money on microtransactions; (a very small part of) it is for a good cause.

News Comments > World Zombination Announced
17. Re: World Zombination Announced Aug 14, 2013, 21:29 ViRGE

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 14, 2013, 10:34:
These guys are suffering from serious lack of imagination.
It's an iOS game; I think the expectations are rather low from the start. But we'll see how things look at PAX Prime.

1223 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo