Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1377 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M
33. Re: Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M Feb 4, 2014, 11:12 ViRGE

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 07:31:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 06:51:
Mind you, 2013 was sort of a down year for movies. Only one movie grossed more than a billion dollars.
Uh, only 17 ever have. http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/records/
Yes, and most of those were in the last decade. 2012 had 4 movies over $1B, so only having 1 in 2013 is a down year.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M
25. Re: Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M Feb 4, 2014, 06:51 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 01:27:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 22:48:
Iron Man 3 Box Office 1.2 beeleeon in sales

Seriously? That piece of shit made 1+ billion?

Sigh
$400M domestic and another $800M foreign. It nearly doubled Iron Man 2's take, and was only $300M below The Avengers. As such it was the biggest movie of 2013 and made RDJ absurdly wealthy.

BOM Domestic

BOM Worldwide

Mind you, 2013 was sort of a down year for movies. Only one movie grossed more than a billion dollars.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 2, 2014, 23:25 ViRGE

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:37:
Yay, MK8! Probably one of the last (and my 5th) games I'm getting for the wiiU. Not gonna defend it, it's on a downward spiral. But I'll still have Mario Kart in HD.

Altho one could successfully argue that the recent Sonic racing game already IS MKHD. It's surprisingly great. Played it during a free weekend/$5 steam sale, picked it up after a couple hours of it. Aside from weirdly not seeing my gamepad until I've pressed Enter (reverse porting issue!), it runs flawlessly, no crashing or noticeable bugs.
I'm in the same boat. I'll probably pick up MK8, but I'm honestly not sure how it's going to top SASRT. SASRT did everything right, from gameplay to track design, so it's difficult to envision a better game given what we know about MK8 so far.

News Comments > PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales
23. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 21:14 ViRGE

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:08:
Just goes to show that graphics over gameplay is not a sure thing when it comes to selling games. Like so many other indie games over the past few years... graphically they look like throwbacks to the '90s but their gameplay is what makes them huge sellers.
To be fair this is the exception to the rule. This is Myst, this is The Sims, this is Starcraft, etc. No other game that goes this route will be anywhere as successful.

Minecraft is the template for the genre and it is the first. A hundred other games will attempt to copy it in some manner and all fail. Having good gameplay won't guarantee a game will sell well any more than good graphics does.

I'd like to know the numbers for all platforms combined. I know I bought it for the X-Box 360 and the Android. Though the PC was my favorite place to play.
At least 40.3 million as of January 20th. 16.5M for the various mobile editions, and 10M for the 360 edition. And this doesn't include the PS3 edition, which is at least 1M.

https://twitter.com/martinlindell/status/425389087168544768

News Comments > Report: Ghost Games Layoffs Halt New NFS
7. Re: Report: Ghost Games Layoffs Halt New NFS Feb 2, 2014, 09:46 ViRGE

siapnar wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 12:15:
I wish they'd just remake Need for Speed 3, with the same cars/tracks/mechanics/etc just with up to date visuals and some new (wanted) features.

That or another company could make a similar racing game in the same spirit
Hear hear! NFS3 has a great selection of cars, gameplay mechanics, and tracks. Oh, and a fantastic soundtrack.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2014 in July
11. Re: QuakeCon 2014 in July Jan 31, 2014, 09:35 ViRGE

Ledge wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 07:00:
announcements? wonder if ID will have any.
Something about Doom 4, one would hope.

News Comments > John Carmack Offers QuakeCon Talk
1. Re: John Carmack Offers QuakeCon Talk Jan 31, 2014, 09:30 ViRGE

I certainly hope Carmack gets to talk. I admittedly don't attend QuakeCon (Texas, summer, ugh), but I have always enjoyed his talks. His perception on the state of game tech and ability to articulate those perceptions is unrivaled.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jan 29, 2014, 01:19 ViRGE

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 13:46:
No idiot pays $5000 dollars for a ship in eve, ever.
Generally true. But it offers a good benchmark for the value of the assets, since non-players will not understand the time required to construct them.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 29, 2014, 01:17 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 17:05:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 16:52:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 15:02:
EDIT oh and lol at the 13gig patch for DR3 that didn't fix the lag issues... was kinda pissed it went XB1 exclusive but not so much anymore, they deserve each other.

What else did that patch bring besides the same performance?

DLC, and I'm assuming compatibility with it (so that those that don't own it can still be compatible with folks that do).
Correct. Digital Foundry looked at the patch and the performance was essentially unchanged. So other than the possibility of some bug fixes, it really is a DLC distribution patch.

News Comments > Leaked Source 2 Screenshot?
16. Re: Leaked Source 2 Screenshot? Jan 28, 2014, 01:09 ViRGE

DangerDog wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 00:12:
Frijoles wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 22:08:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 19:56:
Update to Source engine is way overdue.

Haven't they been continually updating it over the years, adding new bits of technology to it? Get rid of the damn loading screens and I'll be happy with it.

The last major upgrade that I can think of was the "Lost Coast" level for HL2. Left for Dead 2 seemed pretty rough around the edges in terms of detail.
Portal 2 introduced some new functionality that they put to good use. Still, I would agree that it hasn't really been heavily upgraded since HL2:LC.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jan 27, 2014, 20:49 ViRGE

Verno wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 11:26:
Namco Bandai is now Bandai Namco.

Hahah oh Japan, never change.
No one knows who Namco is outside of Japan. Whereas Bandai is massive, mostly for its toy holdings. They should have been Bandai Namco from the start.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 27, 2014, 20:47 ViRGE

I would like to propose a new law for all Nintendo discussions: Miyamoto's Law.

Miyamoto's Law: If anyone says Nintendo should kill the Wii U in 2014, they automatically lose the argument.

The console dev cycle is over 2 years. Even if Nintendo started last year, it would likely be 2016 to get a new console out. So saying that Nintendo should immediately kill the Wii U is a frightfully stupid suggestion, since it means they'll go years without a console.

News Comments > MS Buys Gears of War, Hires Rod Fergusson
36. Re: MS Buys Gears of War, Hires Rod Fergusson Jan 27, 2014, 20:39 ViRGE

Shineyguy wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 12:12:
Topevoli wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 12:04:
Well that's a shame..

I don't think it is. I'd love to see Epic able to actually work on something other than Gears.
Agreed. This is a win-win all around. MS can get more Gears of War games without saddling Epic with the task, and Epic can go work on something else.

Gears was already an exclusive franchise, so tying down a top-tier multiplatform developer like Epic was a waste on both ends. Someone else could do it for less than Epic, and Epic's skills are better put to use elsewhere.
Creston wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 19:10:
Rigs wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 15:56:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 27, 2014, 14:55:
Gears - The series with a plot so forgettable that Bulletstorm actually surpassed it.

Bulletstorm was fucking awesome, btw. One of the very few games I've ever managed to actually finish all the way. Excellent story and interesting characters. Not a 'deep' story, but not everything has to be to be fun. Will always love that game...

=-Rigs-=

I actually quite enjoyed it, but not for the characters. Dear God...
Besides the damn characters, the lack of jumping and the weapon limits were a major drag. It encouraged very conservative gameplay, since you never knew when you'd need the best guns to take down a mini-boss or such.

News Comments > SOE Closing Four MMOGs
12. Re: SOE Closing Four MMOGs Jan 24, 2014, 22:23 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 18:42:
I had no idea here even was a Clone Wars MMO...

It's web based and really stretches the definition of MMO.

News Comments > Resident Evil 4 SD & HD Comparison
3. Re: Resident Evil 4 SD & HD Comparison Jan 24, 2014, 10:28 ViRGE

MajorD wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 10:24:
LOL! HD version....yeah right; it looks like they all they did was just used a SweetFX Injector.

Eh, a couple of the textures are clearly different. They are probably using the original art for the grenade, and it looks like they replaced the wood texture entirely. Otherwise for the rest of the textures you're right, it does look like they just processed them to increase the sharpness.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 24, 2014, 02:21 ViRGE

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 13:07:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2014, 12:50:
Minecraft - Avengers DLC Trailer.

Is this for real? Or is it a joke?

Have you not seen the ridiculous amount of DLC skin packs for Minecraft? It's real. Unfortunately.
Just for the console versions, though. There's none of that on the PC version since you can just upload your own skin.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast
22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Voice Cast Jan 24, 2014, 02:10 ViRGE

Longswd wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 01:01:
I too would like to see better variety as opposed to a (perceived) better quality.

Do they not have colleges near their recording studio? Do those colleges not have drama courses? A few flyers and local ads could go a long ways here. This would also have the added good karma of sending some money the way of people who actually need it as well.

You don't even have to stoop that low. There's no shortage of professional VAs in Hollywood and Vancouver, BC.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 22, 2014, 22:05 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Jan 22, 2014, 18:42:
Damn that's a ton of work to get laid. He shoulda just got some hookers.

And Google's new motto, "Be as evil as fucking possible!"
He's a grad student in the UC system. There's no way he'd be able to afford a hooker.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 20, 2014, 23:52 ViRGE

Sepharo wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 21:41:
The Broadcast Fee already hit here... I guess it's been on a for a few months but I didn't notice until the NFL playoffs hit. They encrypted the network channels that they previously were required by law to provide over the coax, so now my QAM tuner doesn't cut it. I have to get this little DTA or something like that, costs $10 a month... But http://www.Aereo.com is much better and only costs $8 a month, easy choice Comcast, thanks.
I'm not sure why you think it was Comcast's choice. Almost none of the nationals operates as a Must Carry anymore. Comcast has to pay all of them for carriage, just as they do traditional cable networks.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 20, 2014, 23:49 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jan 20, 2014, 18:54:
When will they ever learn?
ABC makes almost nothing off of Internet video ads, so despite the uptick in piracy this may not be a bad thing. Even a small number of viewers shifting their habits towards watching it on ABC proper would more than offset the loss.

Freeloaders that won't pay and won't watch ads are not ABC's customers, so what they do doesn't necessarily matter.

1377 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo