Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1343 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details
9. Re: Steam 2013 Growth and Sales Details Jan 15, 2014, 18:11 ViRGE

Graham wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:18:
Dota 2 released in 2013.

Largest growth for Steam in 2013: Brazil and Russia.

Yeah.
Indeed. Removing all of the accounts that only have F2P games would probably return a more useful metric.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Swarm/Nitrous Engine Trailer
5. Re: Star Swarm/Nitrous Engine Trailer Jan 15, 2014, 18:08 ViRGE

Blue, this is the Concursion trailer, not the Star Swarm trailer.  

News Comments > Steam Greenlight Ending
8. Re: Steam Greenlight Ending Jan 15, 2014, 17:48 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:18:
Panickd wrote on Jan 15, 2014, 16:14:
His theory is that any developer will eventually be able to put their games on Steam.

And won't that make Steam so wonderful to attempt to buy things from...

It'll basically turn it into any app store. Where there's a few good things buried amidst millions of pieces of crap.
It's not as if Steam doesn't already sell crap games. That titles like A:CM and Ride to Hell are sold on the service means that it's clearly not functioning as a quality filter in the first place.

If Greenlight goes away, this would mean the ratio of indie titles relative to big publisher titles will vastly inflate - for all the problems and benefits that brings. But we're already dealing with crap today, so I'm not sure it's fair to lock out indies (since not being on Steam can break a game's revenue) while big publishers are free to release their own crap.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2014, 10:25 ViRGE

ACL was a pretty mediocre title on the Vita, both from a tech perspective and a gameplay perspective. I'm going to be surprised if it sells well on the consoles.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jan 15, 2014, 10:23 ViRGE

Gamestop: Die! Die die die!  

News Comments > DayZ Sells 1M in One Month
38. Re: DayZ Sells 1M in One Month Jan 15, 2014, 10:13 ViRGE

Whiskers wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 13:58:
Hopefully the one million alpha testers will help make the game have no bugs and run really smoothly across a variety of hardware by the time it's officially finished in 2015.

I don't mind early access as long as the devs use it to their advantage in having a nice testing base to identify and fix things and don't just look at it as a way to get cash money.
Actually this brings up an interesting point. If everyone is buying and playing it now, will there be anyone left to play it when it's done? Or are we looking at a new world where the apex of the player count occurs before the game is even out of beta?

News Comments > How to Try the SteamVR Beta
4. Re: How to Try the SteamVR Beta Jan 14, 2014, 18:07 ViRGE

Frijoles wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 09:59:
Valve is really going all in on VR.
I'm really not sure I'd call this all-in. "Experimental" is a pretty good description, I'd say.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 14, 2014, 04:26 ViRGE

Jivaro wrote on Jan 13, 2014, 22:22:
My first response would be the same Virge. I would however be more flexible about it if the memory prices came down significantly. Right now you effectively pay twice as much as the retail cost for a digital game because the memory prices are so ridiculous.
That's a very good point. Memory card prices are still around $2/GB, which isn't cheap. A bigger game like Killzone is going to be around $10 in flash memory, which is rather striking.

That said Sony has already introduced the 64GB card over in Japan, and in the meantime it looks like most major US retailers are out of stock of all the big cards. Sony may be about to introduce the 64GB card here, hopefully (though unlikely) with a price cut.

PropheT wrote on Jan 14, 2014, 02:51:
I think their problem is that nobody is stocking them in a way that you can go in and buy them easily anyway. Ordering the games online is easy enough, but Gamestop or department stores have never really put any space into Vita games or maintaining a display to sell them. I can't imagine they have a decent choice because of the way retailers have handled the system, they're sort of damned if they do and damned if they don't.
While I admittedly get most of my cartridges via Amazon, both the local Gamestop and Best Buy have had respectable selections.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2014, 04:36.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 13, 2014, 21:03 ViRGE

Vita could move away from physical games, Sony admits.
I really hope not. While I appreciate the Vita having a vibrant digital marketplace where everything available on a cartridge is also available digitally - unlike the relatively bare PSP store - I still like being able to get games on cartridges at times. Especially for the really large games, games that Sony won't put on sale, or games that later get discontinued (MvC3, etc).

A Vita without new games coming out on cartridges is a Vita that's not as useful to me.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Jan 10, 2014, 23:06 ViRGE

And this is why Nintendo isn't going anywhere. Nor for that matter why the iPhone isn't a significant threat to the 3DS.  

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE Standalone Client Released; Linux and OS X Support Ends
4. Re: QUAKE LIVE Standalone Client Released; Linux and OS X Support Ends Jan 10, 2014, 17:43 ViRGE

So how again is this different from Quake 3 Arena?  

News Comments > Double Dragon Neon for Steam Nears
2. Re: Double Dragon Neon for Steam Nears Jan 9, 2014, 10:16 ViRGE

They're about a year and a half late on this one, especially since it garnered such mediocre reviews in its console releases.  

News Comments > Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum
25. Re: Respawn: 6-vs-6 Multiplayer Maximum Jan 8, 2014, 18:37 ViRGE

garrywong wrote on Jan 8, 2014, 12:38:
Uh, what kind of game is Respawn? I thought Respawn Entertainment was the name of the studio, and they were making a game called Titanfall?
Ditto. I feel like I'm missing something here.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 7, 2014, 23:01 ViRGE

edaciousx wrote on Jan 7, 2014, 21:39:
The reason why i'm excited for steambox is because I believe it will bridge the gap between hardcore console/living room players and pc players. It will make communities larger and hopefully bring back modding.
But none of that requires a Steambox. You could do that today with a PC and Windows; Big Picture Mode already takes care of the UI needs. So the Steambox initiative doesn't really do anything that a PC doesn't already do, and it's too unfocused to take advantage of the benefits offered by console-like hardware homogeneity.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2014, 22:55 ViRGE

Is anyone on the consoles really desiring to play Far Cry 1. Or even Far Cry 2 for that matter?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 7, 2014, 11:42 ViRGE

No baseball games on the XB1 or WiiU? Well, that sucks.  

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
8. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 6, 2014, 22:33 ViRGE

siapnar wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:24:
Would be cool destructive if some developers made the full switch to Steam OS and left Windows in the dust, for their upcoming games
Fixed that for you.

There's nothing to gain from PC fragmentation. We're already a minority.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2014, 05:24 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 01:07:
PropheT wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 18:05:
Creston wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 15:17:
I'm amazed Polygon, of all places, has the actual courage to call EA out on this bullshit.

It's Ben Kuchera's first article there, isn't it?

Maybe they hired him to do this kind of thing and garner more credibility, and maybe they just need to get page views and generate buzz around his first article there or something. Kotaku does it every now and then to generate page views but it never really goes anywhere.

Oh, I didn't even realize Ben had written that. Good to see he found himself a new gig.
Agreed. It's good to see him back on the horse so soon.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 5, 2014, 05:00 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 4, 2014, 19:39:
Screw some rating, look at the IRS tax forms yourself on GuideStar.org.

I see in 2012 they brought in $4.44 million, disbursed $1.17 million as gifts to hospitals, and incurred $343k of expenses (including $110k to anonymous organizations in Asia and the Middle East). Another curious tidbit is the fact their fundraiser(s) lost them $33k, despite $290k in resulting contributions. The president, secretary, and treasurer (I guess the founders, only principals listed) take no salary, though. I'm just wondering what they do with the other two-thirds of the money they had. Could be interesting to look at the 2013 form when it's posted.
Do the non-monetary donations count as gifts? A lot of people are buying things off of the hospital wishlists for those specific hospitals. I would assume CP counts those, even if they never hold the money or the gift.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2014, 16:43 ViRGE

Ooh, thanks Mashiki. I had been looking for a sale on Lego Marvel.  

1343 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo