Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1436 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed
33. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 21:42 ViRGE

Well I for one will be keeping an eye on this one. I did like BL2, and while that doesn't make such a daftly named sequel a sure-thing for me, it does at least warrant further examination once it's near completion.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 9, 2014, 20:21 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 19:27:
"Microsoft ended support of Windows XP on Tuesday, leaving the many still clinging to the outdated software exposed to cyberattacks."

LIKE IT HASNT BEEN ALL ALONG!

What kind of scam we trying to pull here?

Year after year, month after month a new security patch, they obviously cannot just close any of their O/S's up and be NOT EXPOSED TO CYBERATTACKS.

So stop with the "Exposed to Cyberattacks" it always has been with MS support or not.
This is all very true. But at the end of the day there is still a huge difference between holes that are fixed and holes that are left open. The later are far more dangerous since it means they are going to be widely exploited.

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
53. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 15:18 ViRGE

Scott Kevill wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 05:48:
As far as I know, no one has any tears for the GameSpy tech itself. It's more that the tech was forced as the only way to play some of these games online. It's the loss of multiplayer for these games that is being mourned.
I have tears for it. The master server system was simple but effective, which is why they had been able to run it for so many years for games that have all but died.

34. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 00:40 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:02:
ViRGE wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:45:
This leaves Steamworks as the only common backend still running.

Origin?

*ducks*
Good point. Does Origin offer a multiplayer backend like Gamespy did? My understanding is that they're just a storefront providing sales and activation/DRM, but I could very well be wrong about that.

Ant wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 20:55:
So, will ANY companies open up their games' GamesSpy stuff so people can play online?
I think it'll depend in part on what needs to be replaced. The master server/server browser functionality should be easy to replicate if it hasn't been done already. CD keys and NAT traversal would be a much bigger problem.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
29. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 4, 2014, 00:05 ViRGE

Darks wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:15:
ViRGE wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:37:
Am I the only person who has essentially completely forgotten about this game?

Seriously dude, give it a rest already. if you don't like the game please don't come in here spouting shit like that. No one cares about your lame opinion. The game happens to pretty damn good. But someone like you who most likely never played one second of the game has a negative opinion about the game.

I'm fine with people like you not liking the game, but why is it you all need to reiterate that fact in the forums a hundred times over?
Woah hoss, easy. I don't think I've ever commented on any of the ESO threads, so I don't have a horse in this race or any real opinion on the game.

It just seemed to me that this game hasn't attracted a lot of attention. Not like some of the other major MMO launches of the past few years. So to find out that it was coming out tomorrow has taken me by surprise.

3. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 3, 2014, 18:45 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:32:
End of an era.
Indeed.

Pour a drink to fallen friends (and in this case services).

This does come at an interesting time though. So very close to the shutdown of Games For Windows Live. This leaves Steamworks as the only common backend still running.

Now does anyone have a list of games that are using GameSpy?

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
1. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 3, 2014, 18:37 ViRGE

Am I the only person who has essentially completely forgotten about this game?  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 31, 2014, 21:15 ViRGE

bigspender wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 20:01:
Cutter wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 19:46:
I'm surprised this was implemented long ago. Better still, seeing as phones are supposedly so trackable why can't the cops just find those douchebag thieves to begin with?

Like others have said, a kill switch only means that thieves are going to wrap some aluminum foil around phone and sell it someone who can disable the kill switch.

Making it a law just seems stupid.

I'd rather see steps taken to stop the need to steal stuff in the first place. (yeah its a long road, but normal people don't steal).
Well you're assuming that the phone can't lock itself down on its own. If you use the iOS example, the iOS lockdown feature means that if you wipe the phone - either manually or if you don't get the password right - then it will not reactivate itself without the owner's credentials. So long as your phone is password protected and uses a non-trivial password, you don't need to be able to remotely wipe it. Though it certainly helps.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans
25. Re: Star Citizen Hits $41M - Procedural Generation Plans Mar 31, 2014, 21:07 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 19:36:
Kosumo wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 19:16:
"Iím incredibly happy to hit this goal as it green-lights a very important research project aimed at improving Star Citizenís long term future."

So it makes the hangar bigger so you can buy more ships?

He's dreaming - if it only cost 1 million dollars to get a R&D team that can make that happen then why have no big publishers done it? They have lots of millions already.

No Man's Sky = 5 person team and very small budget. And unlike SC they actually have something to show for it so far.
Just to add to that, stretch goals do not equal the cost of delivering the good. The goods for a stretch goal are usually cheaper than $1M (new pistols, planets, etc), however there's no reason the cost can't also be more expensive. When you know you're going to hit $41M (at a rate of $50K/day), you can easily roll the project into your long term budget, in which case the $41M mark is largely ceremonial (which is exactly what stretch goals should be at this point in time).

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Mar 31, 2014, 18:19 ViRGE

NegaDeath wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 12:50:
Nintendo is innovative. The problem is they do it inside of existing IP's. Someone will come up with a gameplay idea and a higher up will want to plug it into the next Mario, or Zelda, etc instead of making something new with it. They're so cautious they won't let their people do anything completely new out of fear it won't sell. In the meantime most of the existing IP's are dead tired and drown out any changes. In my personal (non)expert opinion they should take the reins off of some of their younger staff and just see what they can create. Make it digital only so there's no physical distribution costs.
And that's a very good point. Super Mario Galaxy and even Super Mario 3D World are chock-full of innovation - every level is a chance to do something different, and both games have a number of levels where their gameplay elements are never reused. Compared to the yearly CoD slog, Nintendo does more in one game that CoD has done since the Modern Warfare era started. But as you note, all of that is within the confines of Mario.

Nintendo strongly uses their IPs as brands and vague descriptions of genres, so two Super Mario games can be vastly different besides both being platformers. But to the outside world, it looks like Nintendo is just pumping out Mario games like Activision does CoD games. Conceptually it's probably a better fit to treat Nintendo's brands as publishers in and of themselves.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 31, 2014, 18:01 ViRGE

Simon Says wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 16:09:
Want to ged rid of POTS? No problem, fiber for everyone. Huh? What you saying? Not profitable enough compared to wireless? Everyone will get wireless with ridiculous data caps at 10 to 100 times the price on monthly bandwidth we have now and shoddy connection stability?

Fiber, POTS or GTFO!
Cynicism aside, the telcos aren't wrong. POTS usage is rapidly declining - we're already at the point where 30% of homes don't even have POTS - and the remaining customers aren't making heavy use of it as they once did. Which means the cost of infrastructure as a percentage of total revenue increases year after year, which definitely does impact profitability. POTS and its reliability is very expensive to deliver, which was fine when it was heavily utilized but is a problem when it no longer is.

Ultimately it's going to end up in a tailspin where rates have to go up to pay for the infrastructure, causing more people to leave, rise & repeat. Understandably, the telcos don't want to be operating these networks at a loss. And they especially don't want to be building out POTS (e.g. laying down new lines in Sandy-damaged communities), as the odds are they will never recover the costs of the infrastructure build out.

FiOS isn't much better, sadly. Verizon still hasn't made back their investment on that. FiOS is as similarly expensive as POTS (if not more so depending on how we're doing the accounting) and has the advantage of being a more capable transport, making it possible to sell more services over it. However the subscription rate for FiOS is too low, which is why Verizon stopped that build out. Not enough customers were willing to pay to switch to it.

At the moment most consumers are happy with CATV + cellular. CATV is already in the ground (and already hooked up in many cases), which means consumers don't have to pay for infrastructure and CableCos in turn aren't facing a huge build out to finance. And in between points of cable, consumers' buying habits show that they're satisfied with cellular for voice and light data usage. Meanwhile since Telcos can't justify building new infrastructure, they have to double-down on the one thing they do have, which is cellular.

Cellular is not a very good solution, and I complete agree the current situation sucks for people who do want bandwidth. But cellular does well enough by consumer standards that consumers will never use POTS in volume again, so POTS' days are numbered. Once the copper degrades, that's going to be it. And in the meantime no one is going to build out fiber until someone comes up with a service that can't be provided over CATV coax, as consumers seem unwilling to pay for the cost despite the current benefits.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 31, 2014, 17:47 ViRGE

1000 developers, and none of them are the AAA western developers that western Vita owners want.

The Vita needs more than the same indies most other consoles get, and imports of Japanese RPGs.

News Comments > Origins Ditches Discs
39. Re: Origins Ditches Discs Mar 31, 2014, 17:45 ViRGE

entr0py wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 15:51:
Yeah, it would be a bit retarded to go to an online game store to buy a game disk. I'm pretty sure steam won't mail you disks either. It was a bit weird that Origin ever had that option to begin with.
EA ran their own store for years, well before Origin came into being. At the time it was a way to sell back-catalog games that retailers may not offer, and otherwise cut retailers out of the picture entirely.

But with digital downloads being the bulk of sales now, the overhead from storing those games and operating a shipping operating would no longer make sense to someone like EA. Now you have to be a retailer to have the volume for it to work.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2014, 17:36 ViRGE

avianflu wrote on Mar 31, 2014, 11:56:
C, I agree though a cloud company auto-scanning *everything* looking for protected media is a giant indicator how corporately incestuous Dropbox is.
Well it's that or get sued out of business for violating the DMCA...

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 30, 2014, 15:59 ViRGE

At this point it doesn't really matter how well it did, even if it set new sales and profitability records.

Parker & Stone are currently neck-deep in putting together a movie version of The Book of Mormon. Other than their contractually obligated SP episodes - which is now just 10 per year - everything else is going to be a low priority until that's done. TBoM was a massive Broadway hit, and there are similar expectations if they can do the movie version right. Enough so that if it wins an Oscar, they would become EGOT holders #13 and #14.

No video game is going to take precedence over that.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 30, 2014, 15:52 ViRGE

nin wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 14:55:
Keep shooting yourself in the foot there, it's wonderful to watch!

How to perform self-amputation: an easy to follow guide by the Microsoft corporation.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
16. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 22, 2014, 18:40 ViRGE

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 15:05:
That reminds me, I still haven't completed this. But it still pisses me off that the game doesn't allow you to jump - it's a console game through and through.
The lack of jumping and the restricted number of weapons you could hold drove me nuts. If those two factors had been different, even though it wasn't a perfect game it would have been a far better game.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza
5. Re: Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza Mar 21, 2014, 21:05 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 20:32:
Loved Blood Dragon but wasn't keen on FC3 itself.
Ditto.

Plus this really dilutes any meaning to the Far Cry brand. What exactly about the above makes it Far Cry?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 21, 2014, 20:19 ViRGE

Well it was clearly a MOBA. No one other than MOBA players are quite that dedicated/crazy (dedicated to being crazy?). So the question is, was it LoL or DOTA2?  

News Comments > WildStar Preorders
16. Re: WildStar Preorders Mar 19, 2014, 22:58 ViRGE

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 15:36:
What's the over/under on this going F2P and then shuttering entirely? 12 months? 18?
I'm going to take the outside bet and say that it does moderately well. Nothing amazing, but enough to turn a small profit.

1436 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo