Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1369 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE DARK SPARK Announced
1. Re: TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE DARK SPARK Announced Feb 18, 2014, 19:23 ViRGE

Clearly this must be Waspinator's spark. That thing is immortal.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rabbids Film Plans
7. Re: Rabbids Film Plans Feb 10, 2014, 17:20 ViRGE

Asmo wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 16:52:
I'm guessing someones trying to make them in to the new minions (Despicable Me) or similar, where the sidekicks are more popular than the main characters...
They already were the original Minions. The first Rabbids game came out before Despicable Me was written.

News Comments > Rabbids Film Plans
3. Re: Rabbids Film Plans Feb 10, 2014, 16:18 ViRGE

EvilGrouse wrote on Feb 10, 2014, 13:10:
My wife's head is gonna explode.
We both enjoy the Rabbids Invasion show.
Bwah.
It didn't seem like Rabbids Invasion was doing all that well ratings wise, but I guess I was mistaken.

I'm not sure how a whole Rabbids movie would work. It seems best suited to shorts.

News Comments > Steam Adds Discoverability Options
9. Re: Steam Adds Discoverability Options Feb 8, 2014, 00:35 ViRGE

descender wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 18:34:
Is your steam client downloading DLC you don't own for some reason?
Many MP games distribute DLC content to everyone so that everyone has the assets. Which reduces fragmentation, but sometimes means you're downloading gigs of content you never wanted.

News Comments > D.I.C.E. Award Winners
12. Re: D.I.C.E. Award Winners Feb 8, 2014, 00:11 ViRGE

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 11:33:
Primalchrome wrote on Feb 7, 2014, 11:00:
What exactly is a crock? The fact that Last of Us swept the awards or something more specific?

The Last of Us winning for "Most Innovative" is a start...

That's a great game but it's a zombie-themed action-adventure game, there's nothing innovative about it other than the fact an action game is well written.
This is just my $0.02, but I wouldn't even classify it as a great game. Rather it's a mediocre game melded to a well written story.

Everything about TLoU screams "this should be a movie." And not in the "they need to make a movie out of this sense", but rather the entire production and product was created as a movie rather than a game. Consequently the gameplay elements are severely lacking, I find. It's basically an interactive movie, though even that's a stretch since there's only a single ending (interactive fiction implies a branching structure).

I'm starting to wonder if we need to have different categories for games and what amounts to movies with gameplay elements. It seems like voters are always going to be wowed by the high production value and tight pacing of a movie, even though that's something of an antithesis to gaming. But that's just my opinion.

News Comments > Hawken Relaunching on Steam
17. Re: Hawken Relaunching on Steam Feb 6, 2014, 07:25 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 23:32:
fatguy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 22:31:
What was pay to win about it? Like I said the starter mech everyone gets was one of the best.

Consumables that can only be bought with real money. Not the worst P2W stuff out there, but enough to rub people the wrong way. They add gameplay advantage on top of your normal mech ability loadout.
And now I'm disinterested again. Thank you.

News Comments > Standalone Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry this Month
3. Re: Standalone Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry this Month Feb 5, 2014, 22:55 ViRGE

Caladell wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 22:19:
Weird. Wonder how much this will be.
Taken from the Uplay page for the gold edition of ACIV: "This single-player adventure adds more than 3 hours of playing time to the total experience of Black Flag."

Seems odd to me that they release that as a standalone. Unless there's more to it than that.
I bet it'll be $15. The same price as Blood Dragon when it was released.

News Comments > Hawken Relaunching on Steam
5. Re: Hawken Relaunching on Steam Feb 5, 2014, 20:46 ViRGE

bhcompy wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 19:56:
Shataan wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 17:54:
Hawken is NOT a Mech game. It is a kiddie Quaker not unlike VirtuaOn.... that just happens to sport Mechlike skins.

It is a mech game. It's an arcade style mech FPS game, like VirtuaOn or Armored Core(actually very similar to Armored Core in concept). It's not a simulation style mech FPS game, like Ultra Bots, Mechwarrior, or Iron Soldier.
The F2P elements of Hawken have always driven me away. But if it's like VirtuaOn, I think I very much want to play it.

News Comments > Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway
5. Re: Stick of Truth Sticks it to Uplay; Preorders Underway Feb 5, 2014, 10:21 ViRGE

Never has a South Park clip been more appropriate: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/7funuk/screw-video-games (NSFW, duh).

Be smart: don't pre-order this game.

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS
19. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 01:42 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 01:32:
necrosis wrote on Feb 5, 2014, 00:29:
Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 21:17:
Not like I was going to bother with Titfall anyway but why not Vista 64 bit?
Because you deserve to be dragged into the street and stoned if your still running Vista.

Why should I go out and give MS another $100 when this OS works fine?
In all fairness, Vista was kind of a flop and most gamers in particular moved on. In the meantime Vista's now 7 years old, so by historical standards most gamers would have upgraded anyhow.

As it stands 64bit Vista is all of 3% of the Steam user base, whereas 64bit Win7/8/8.1 is a combined 70.9%. They're leaving out 4x more users by not supporting 32bit Win7 than they are by not supporting 64bit Vista.

With that said, it's entirely likely that Titanfall will work on Vista, it just won't be supported.

News Comments > Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS
16. Re: Titanfall Beta Requires 64-Bit OS Feb 5, 2014, 01:10 ViRGE

FloorPie wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:00:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 19:55:
ChaosEngine wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 19:09:
To the surprise of absolutely no-one...

I just wish the physical copies would start coming on blue-rays.

Bah, they should be on SD cards/flash drives. I'd also say most PC gamers let alone users don't have a blu ray drive. I've only just now been tempted to get one for my main PC since they're under $100.
At this point with all current-gen consoles using Blu-Rays (even the Wii!), we're the ones that are behind. If you buy games on physical media - and you may want to, because they're about to get really big - then it's time to upgrade to a Blu-Ray drive.

jdreyer wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 21:57:
necrosis wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 20:18:
It requires a 64 bit os...

..but only a 8800GT?

I agree, this makes no sense whatsoever. A multiplayer shooter built on an engine from 2006 requires a 64 bit OS? Why exactly?
Depending on what they're doing, the memory requirements may necessitate it. Just because the engine is old doesn't mean it can't scale up to the point where it can hammer 4GB of address space.

entr0py wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:38:
Aren't all of the processors it supports 64-bits to begin with? It would be a weird kind of stubbornness that would lead you to have a 64-bit processor but expect play high-end games in 2014 on a 32-bit OS.
The last desktop processor not to offer x86_64 support would have been 2005 or so; some very late model Pentium 4s. The last mobile processor would be an early 2006 Core (1) Duo.

But even if the processor is 64bit, there's no guarantee the OS is 64bit. OEMs didn't really jump on the 64bit bandwagon until 2010.

nin wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 23:02:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:58:
One of our QA folks at work was having problems with one of our latest builds. Turns out she had Win 8 32bit... "They make that?!"

I was surprised to find that out as well. I figured that with both pista and 7 as transitional (offering both 32 and 64) that 8 would be the cutoff, and only offer 64...
Too many 32-bit only Atom processors. 32bit Win8 is needed for those tablets.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2014, 01:19.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released
25. Re: Gone Gold - Thief; New Trailer Released Feb 4, 2014, 11:24 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 11:10:
nin wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 11:06:
It's a shame we can't get that to fit in your sig, as it's priceless...

I'm still sitting here just sputtering.
What... I... but....
Welcome to the modern era. Developers know that if it can't be played like a CoD game, then there's a segment of the market that will ignore the game.

News Comments > Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M
33. Re: Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M Feb 4, 2014, 11:12 ViRGE

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 07:31:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 06:51:
Mind you, 2013 was sort of a down year for movies. Only one movie grossed more than a billion dollars.
Uh, only 17 ever have. http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/records/
Yes, and most of those were in the last decade. 2012 had 4 movies over $1B, so only having 1 in 2013 is a down year.

News Comments > Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M
25. Re: Take Two Financials - GTA5 Sells > 32M Feb 4, 2014, 06:51 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 01:27:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 3, 2014, 22:48:
Iron Man 3 Box Office 1.2 beeleeon in sales

Seriously? That piece of shit made 1+ billion?

Sigh
$400M domestic and another $800M foreign. It nearly doubled Iron Man 2's take, and was only $300M below The Avengers. As such it was the biggest movie of 2013 and made RDJ absurdly wealthy.

BOM Domestic

BOM Worldwide

Mind you, 2013 was sort of a down year for movies. Only one movie grossed more than a billion dollars.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 2, 2014, 23:25 ViRGE

HoSpanky wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:37:
Yay, MK8! Probably one of the last (and my 5th) games I'm getting for the wiiU. Not gonna defend it, it's on a downward spiral. But I'll still have Mario Kart in HD.

Altho one could successfully argue that the recent Sonic racing game already IS MKHD. It's surprisingly great. Played it during a free weekend/$5 steam sale, picked it up after a couple hours of it. Aside from weirdly not seeing my gamepad until I've pressed Enter (reverse porting issue!), it runs flawlessly, no crashing or noticeable bugs.
I'm in the same boat. I'll probably pick up MK8, but I'm honestly not sure how it's going to top SASRT. SASRT did everything right, from gameplay to track design, so it's difficult to envision a better game given what we know about MK8 so far.

News Comments > PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales
23. Re: PC Minecraft Passes 14M Sales Feb 2, 2014, 21:14 ViRGE

Paranoid Jack wrote on Feb 2, 2014, 12:08:
Just goes to show that graphics over gameplay is not a sure thing when it comes to selling games. Like so many other indie games over the past few years... graphically they look like throwbacks to the '90s but their gameplay is what makes them huge sellers.
To be fair this is the exception to the rule. This is Myst, this is The Sims, this is Starcraft, etc. No other game that goes this route will be anywhere as successful.

Minecraft is the template for the genre and it is the first. A hundred other games will attempt to copy it in some manner and all fail. Having good gameplay won't guarantee a game will sell well any more than good graphics does.

I'd like to know the numbers for all platforms combined. I know I bought it for the X-Box 360 and the Android. Though the PC was my favorite place to play.
At least 40.3 million as of January 20th. 16.5M for the various mobile editions, and 10M for the 360 edition. And this doesn't include the PS3 edition, which is at least 1M.

https://twitter.com/martinlindell/status/425389087168544768

News Comments > Report: Ghost Games Layoffs Halt New NFS
7. Re: Report: Ghost Games Layoffs Halt New NFS Feb 2, 2014, 09:46 ViRGE

siapnar wrote on Feb 1, 2014, 12:15:
I wish they'd just remake Need for Speed 3, with the same cars/tracks/mechanics/etc just with up to date visuals and some new (wanted) features.

That or another company could make a similar racing game in the same spirit
Hear hear! NFS3 has a great selection of cars, gameplay mechanics, and tracks. Oh, and a fantastic soundtrack.

News Comments > QuakeCon 2014 in July
11. Re: QuakeCon 2014 in July Jan 31, 2014, 09:35 ViRGE

Ledge wrote on Jan 31, 2014, 07:00:
announcements? wonder if ID will have any.
Something about Doom 4, one would hope.

News Comments > John Carmack Offers QuakeCon Talk
1. Re: John Carmack Offers QuakeCon Talk Jan 31, 2014, 09:30 ViRGE

I certainly hope Carmack gets to talk. I admittedly don't attend QuakeCon (Texas, summer, ugh), but I have always enjoyed his talks. His perception on the state of game tech and ability to articulate those perceptions is unrivaled.  

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Jan 29, 2014, 01:19 ViRGE

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 28, 2014, 13:46:
No idiot pays $5000 dollars for a ship in eve, ever.
Generally true. But it offers a good benchmark for the value of the assets, since non-players will not understand the time required to construct them.

1369 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo