Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1441 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Broadcasting Beta
8. Re: Steam Broadcasting Beta Dec 2, 2014, 20:36 ViRGE

Overon wrote on Dec 2, 2014, 17:49:
Does it hurt fps? Bandwidth? How badly? How does it stack up to twitch?
As a non-Twitch user, what's wrong with Twitch exactly?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year
2. Re: London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year Dec 2, 2014, 20:17 ViRGE

Please stop.  

News Comments > On Sale
2. Re: On Sale Dec 1, 2014, 22:39 ViRGE

Acleacius wrote on Dec 1, 2014, 21:58:
zenimax is *******, still won't put the dlc content on sale for 75%, after more than 3 years. Flamethrower
At this point just buy the legendary edition.

News Comments > Tales from the Borderlands Released; OS X Edition Delayed
2. Re: Tales from the Borderlands Released; OS X Edition Delayed Nov 26, 2014, 03:06 ViRGE

RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 26, 2014, 00:46:
Next up Borderlands Kart and Borderlands MOBA!
It's a good setting for a TTG adventure game. I'm waiting for reviews before putting any money down on it, but I certainly have high hopes for this one.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
3. Re: Sunday Consolidation Nov 24, 2014, 07:14 ViRGE

descender wrote on Nov 23, 2014, 12:46:
They ARE sold out and people ARE buying them to use with smash brothers... so... no bullshit?

With 8 player support most people are just pulling out old wavebirds/gamecube controllers to play with more people... hence the adapters being sold out. How many people do you know that own 8 Wii U Pro Controllers?
The biggest problem with owning more than 4 Pro controllers is that this is basically the only game you'd ever want to have 8 people on a single machine. Otherwise the extra 4 controllers are redundant. So yes, reusing old controllers is more or less a must.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned
21. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Pros Banned Nov 23, 2014, 03:24 ViRGE

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 19:16:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2014, 18:19:
Just make all tournament machines remote VMs. Then you control the hardware and software and the only advantage is ping. Like the old days.

Never understood why they didn't do this. And at LAN events, I would not give them access to the machine, just audio jack plug ins and the machine is not accessible.....I hope they all die in a fire and removed from competitive play forever.
At most major LAN events the tournament machines are provided by the host and are suitably locked down. Only for lesser events are attendees computers used.

Keep in mind that since we're talking about CS we're also talking about the crowd that still holds on to their CRTs. The input lag from a remote streaming solution would not be accepted.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Company of Heroes 2 - Ardennes Assault
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Company of Heroes 2 - Ardennes Assault Nov 18, 2014, 00:03 ViRGE

I can't decide whether I'm impressed or mortified that they have the means to put together a live action trailer for an expansion pack to CoH2.  

News Comments > Postal Redux Plans
7. Re: Postal Redux Plans Nov 17, 2014, 10:33 ViRGE

Kajetan wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:40:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 09:37:
Hell, Postal 3 never even came out in North America
It didnt? I assumed it was never released in Europe, only in NA. Was it ever released?
It was released in Russia, which is where it was developed.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
26. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 16, 2014, 05:54 ViRGE

Prez wrote on Nov 15, 2014, 13:04:
There was just no reason to rush this. They of course decided it had to be out in time for Xmas but it clearly wasn't worth it. Gamers buy games year round; look at how badly this is hurting their reputation. Was it worth it Ubisoft?
Games sell year-round, but game sales peak at Christmas. Market saturation/competition aside, you'll sell more if you release for the holidays than if you sell any other time of the year. No doubt someone at Ubi did the math, and the projections show that they'd make more money money releasing it now than if they had delayed it to release a better game.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
29. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 15, 2014, 08:11 ViRGE

Prez wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 16:19:
Scale is a magic word for so many cloud-based companies and services, but Beats and Spotify operate differently. Their margins don’t improve as they get larger. If Spotify bought the rights to songs for a flat rate, then every subscriber it adds would mean free money for the company. But that isn’t what it does. Instead, it spends a fixed proportion of its total revenue on royalties. So if Spotify doubles its subscriber base, it doubles the amount of money it pays out. It may be that Spotify will gain some power over the royalties it pays once it has a critical mass of customers, but right now, many people think it can never get ahead of its costs.

The worst-case scenario for Spotify isn’t losing to Apple. It’s discovering that its prize is insolvency. According to a report published by Generator Research last November, the current business model for streaming music is “inherently unprofitable.” Andrew Sheehy, the main author of the report, concluded: “Our analysis is that no current music subscription service—including marquee brands like Pandora, Spotify, and Rhapsody—can ever be profitable, even if they execute perfectly.”

Excerpt from Businessweek article in May 2014

That doesn't sound like Spotify is shafting artists while its makers go on lavish vacations in the Caribbean. It sopunds like the model is just broken altogether.
Bingo.

Spotify simply charges too little for what they offer. They've killed the need to buy CDs (or MP3s) and the amount of money they bring in is not nearly as much as those previous services were bringing in.

Music is cheaper and more accessible than any time before, which is great for you and me. But it's a real problem for the artists.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P)
14. Re: Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P) Nov 12, 2014, 04:06 ViRGE

I never got into JC2, though I get the feeling I should have judging from the comments.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2014, 05:10.

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Next Month
9. Re: Game Awards 2014 Next Month Nov 11, 2014, 06:23 ViRGE

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:21:
Advisory board populated by the major publishers.
Translation:
Here is our money, thank you for the marketing.
Indeed. VGX was a terrible awards show. But it was a great advertising vehicle.

News Comments > No Blood Dragon 2 Plans
3. Re: No Blood Dragon 2 Plans Nov 10, 2014, 09:22 ViRGE

I'm saddened that we aren't getting another Blood Dragon. On the other hand though Hutchinson is right about one thing: part of the joy came from the fact that it was a surprise. If we knew about it months ahead of time it wouldn't have been as fun.  

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
4. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 7, 2014, 15:33 ViRGE

Prez wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 15:30:
Looks very cool. Kind of like a new TF2.
Make sure it's pay-to-play and otherwise void of microtransactions, and you have a deal. TF2 was great until Valve turned it into a continuous revenue stream.

News Comments > The Sims 4 Adds Pools
4. Re: The Sims 4 Adds Pools Nov 4, 2014, 21:20 ViRGE

I'm a bit surprised they let the game ship without the option to drown/trap your sims like that. A lot of people seem to enjoy it.  

News Comments > Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders
4. Re: Blizzard Perma-Bans Hearthstone Win-Traders Oct 31, 2014, 10:32 ViRGE

Blackhawk wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 10:17:
Wait, they perma-banned them, and limited what kinds of events they can participate in?
Presumably they're allowed to open new accounts?

News Comments > Prey 2 Cancelled
5. Re: Prey 2 Cancelled Oct 31, 2014, 10:31 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2014, 10:15:
Aww man. So long as its bad content, not bad qa, just release it on steam for 4.99. Bethesda gets some money back and we get to see what failed, with the knowledge its a sub par product and priced as such.
Indeed. It would at least be interesting to look at.

News Comments > EVE Online Phoebe Update Next Week
7. Re: EVE Online Phoebe Update Next Week Oct 29, 2014, 22:35 ViRGE

Simon Says wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 18:39:
Moog wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 16:27:
garrywong wrote on Oct 29, 2014, 14:20:
All of these improvements are very nice indeed, but none of them are going to bring me back into the game until the time I can once again roam null-sec with my pack of friends without having stupid "lolol hotdropped noobs" and other such shit that came with the introduction of capital ships. It completely threw the whole game out of balance.

Well, you're in luck, as next week's patch nerfs/fixes jumping with the long distance travel changes listed here... Eve - Phoebe

Basically, jump range limited to 5 LY for the majority of Capitals and ghastly cooldowns added to the jumpee ("jump fatigue"). Although, Capital ships will now be able to use gates in low and null.

I doubt you'll get hotdropped now - they'd have to be in-range and willing to use their cooldown on you.

False, read CCP's blog, the cooldown will only count if the pilot jumps, they can still make bridges cooldown free as long as they don't jump themselves. So you will STILL GET HOTDROPPED. Cheers!
Actually fatigue applies to jump bridges as well. Anything that's not a gate will generate fatigue.

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com
82. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com Oct 28, 2014, 20:22 ViRGE

Flatline wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 12:35:
Creston wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 12:21:
Flatline wrote on Oct 28, 2014, 12:11:
Thrawn counters the Defenders by creating the Missile Boat.

Oh shit, the Missile Boat. I'd forgotten all about that thing. I LUUURRRRVVVED the Missile Boat!!!

Nothin' spells lovin' like 80 advanced concussion missiles as your primary double load of munitions.

The laser cannon is there for a speed boost.
Ahh the SLAM. It's a shame it didn't show up in future games.

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
35. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 28, 2014, 01:28 ViRGE

Quboid wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 23:08:
Prez wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:26:
TangledThorns wrote on Oct 27, 2014, 20:13:
Some games are just too damn old to play. Sorry, it's really hard to go back to dated graphics.

Same here. I'm not a graphics whore but those games are so old as to be jarring in their ugliness. Remakes are in order.

I'll play Tie Fighter but I'm sure the graphics will be terrible. I remember it looking quite blocky, and that was on a 14 inch monitor.

It's not just that games like Tie Fighter will be ugly, it's that playing them now might diminish their memory. I have rose tinted memories of games like Tie Fighter, based on comparisons with other games from the same time period. It was a shock to recently play Doom on the original settings, the low resolution was really distracting and took away from the experience. I've grown so used to higher detail and smaller pixels that I need to play one of the remakes like ZDoom to get the original feeling.
The hardest part about replaying X-Wing or Tie Fighter is the physics. Until XvT, Totally Games was trying for a Newtonian-ish model that meant giving the ships absolutely awful agility (poor turning, poor acceleration).

They didn't hit upon the "modern" arcadey flight sim model until XvT, and then stuck with it for XWA. It goes without saying that after flying the modern model, the low agility model is really frustrating at times.

1441 Comments. 73 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo