Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1415 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM
55. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 21:13 ViRGE

Suppa7 wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:15:
ViRGE wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 17:53:
Respectfully, you make a few assumptions here that are just flat-out wrong.

Uncompressed Audio: I'm assuming you're referring to Titanfall here? Titanfall's audio was shipping uncompressed because low-end PCs can't handle compressed audio. The consoles? They have dedicated audio decoders and can decompress audio until the cows come home.

I'm sorry but you are both fucking wrong! God the tech illiteracy of the new generation of gamers astounds me. The reality is these games are pushed out unfinished and devs are giving you excuses for their unfinished games.

No PC within the last 6 years would break a sweat processing audio, audio has been cheap since Core 2 duo for fuck sakes. The idea that PC's are the ones holding gaming back is laughable.
Actually you present almost the exact scenario the Titanfall devs were dealing with: slow dual-core machines. What they found was that their code would hammer away at 2 threads on a PC, but if they used compressed audio that would become 3 threads. Which means they either had to make the minimum system requirement a Core i5 (as opposed to a Core i3), or use uncompressed audio. They chose the latter.

Note that the PS4 and XB1 versions of the game shipped with compressed audio. Only the PC version did not. Which makes the claim of it being "unfinished" kind of odd, because they had the compressed audio just sitting there...

shihonage wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 18:51:
First, there ARE magical compression algorithms which drastically reduce image size with minimal quality loss. You may be familiar with the general concept of such compression in form a JPEG file.

Second, with SSDs becoming more popular, HD space is at a premium again. And even if it wasn't, 55 gigabytes is a massive amount of information for such a game regardless. It is insane, in fact, and clearly compression and intelligent asset reuse were neglected on several levels.

The list goes on and on.

No, it doesn't.
Every form of compression available to the PC is already in use and available on the consoles. Both support the latest audio, texture, and video compression technologies including BC6/BC7 and H.264.

Now you make a point about SSDs, but keep in mind that these games are designed from the start to be played from an HDD (which is what the consoles have). You don't need an expensive SSD to run a game; the HDD you already have is likely already faster than the HDD in the consoles.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 17:53 ViRGE

DangerDog wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 17:10:

No, it's not that. It's because when you play these "next gen" console ports you're left wondering why does this still look and play like shit? Where did all that space on the hard drive go?

We've had games in the past (crysis for example) that look and play 10x better and didn't crank the system req's to this level - but holy crap just imagine if "real" developers took advantage of the power of today's modern PC's

Nope, instead we get retarded shit like using uncompressed audio because crap "next gen" consoles can't handle compressed audio or would drain performance just enough so all the audio in the game sits on your hard drive like a bloated pig - hello Titanfall? or hey you don't need more than 30fps in your game Microsoft an Sony told us so.
Respectfully, you make a few assumptions here that are just flat-out wrong.

Uncompressed Audio: I'm assuming you're referring to Titanfall here? Titanfall's audio was shipping uncompressed because low-end PCs can't handle compressed audio. The consoles? They have dedicated audio decoders and can decompress audio until the cows come home.

Plays like shit: is not a technology issue. That's a design issue. The programmers behind these games are very, very sharp. However the designers and producers behind them are fine tuning their games for mass market appeal, which means gameplay needs to be approachable and simple. You'd have the same problem on the PC if they were trying to sell that many copies.

Looks like shit: Keep in mind that graphics quality is asymptotic; the second million polygons improves the image quality, but not as much as the first million. Games look better than ever before: they're more expansive, they have better (and dynamic) lighting, higher quality color and normal mapping, etc. However the gains over the last 10 years are not going to be as great as the 10 years before that. Especially since we've had programmable pixel shaders for nearly 10 years now, which means developers have been able to more or less do anything they want (within performance limitations) for quite some time now.

40. Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Requires 6GB of RAM Oct 20, 2014, 16:20 ViRGE

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 11:24:
SXO wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 11:14:
What are these requirements for if I don't see any of this in games yet?
They are there to compensate for the lack of PC optimization, aka hide behind high pc specs to cover the lazy PC port.
It is so much easier for the devs to say yeah dude you need a quad Titan setup to run our Doom3 engine on your PC at a constant 60fps than actually invest time money and effort to optimize the game to run properly on a wide range of PC specs.
I challenge anyone here to prove that the specs are a result of a lazy PC port.

This game is being developed for an x86 console with an AMD GPU, 8GB of RAM (~6GB available to the game), a 500GB HDD, and a 50GB Blu-Ray Drive. If you want to be able to play a current-gen console game at current-gen console quality, then you're going to need current-gen console specifications.

Every trick in the book to reduce resource consumption they would already be doing in order to get more out of the console. Any technology that would allow them to reduce memory or storage requirements is already available on the consoles and in use.

News Comments > Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft
12. Re: Jade Raymond Leaving Ubisoft Oct 20, 2014, 15:50 ViRGE

Prez wrote on Oct 20, 2014, 15:46:
As far as Raymond's leaving goes, I hope she stays in the industry. She ran a good studio and has always been a class act.
Ditto. I think Ubi fumbled on her media interaction with AC1, but between her Producer and EP, and director roles she has done a good job in getting fun games out the door.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
5. Re: Sunday Mobilization Oct 13, 2014, 04:47 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Oct 12, 2014, 18:39:
Why the fuck do the flight attendants care?
I would presume because they're the ones responsible for the passengers in an emergency?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 7, 2014, 01:18 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 21:47:
Why is it clickbait? Because you're a fan of the evil empire? Everyone should read it and every article like it and put those fuckers out of business.
Because they're just making stuff up and lobbing accusations without any proof.

"(Probably) Faking Shortages to Increase Demand"

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 6, 2014, 20:32 ViRGE

nin wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 20:08:
ViRGE wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:57:
"5 Dirty Tricks Apple Uses to Get You to Buy a New iPhone."

You're normally more selective than this, Blue. That is a Grade-A example of a useless clickbait article.

Dude, it's cracked. Did you really expect something meaningful?
No. But the least we could do is not give them additional traffic?

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation
8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation Oct 6, 2014, 19:23 ViRGE

Caslon wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 19:20:
ViRGE wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 19:01:
Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:57:
Given the mixed bag of reviews at this point, this is a wait and see.
An 80 Metacritic score is better than I was expecting, especially after the last few Alien outings. Which means it's nowhere close to perfect, but that's about the score you'd expect for a good game.

I don't trust Metacritic scores by professional reviewers. I'll wait to see how the masses score it.
Well in that case since it's an Alien game they'll probably love it. There's a reason they keep making these games...

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Alien: Isolation Oct 6, 2014, 19:01 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Oct 6, 2014, 18:57:
Given the mixed bag of reviews at this point, this is a wait and see.
An 80 Metacritic score is better than I was expecting, especially after the last few Alien outings. Which means it's nowhere close to perfect, but that's about the score you'd expect for a good game.

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 6, 2014, 18:57 ViRGE

"5 Dirty Tricks Apple Uses to Get You to Buy a New iPhone."

You're normally more selective than this, Blue. That is a Grade-A example of a useless clickbait article.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
10. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 4, 2014, 17:21 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 13:11:
Creston wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 13:01:
“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks,” the Windows 10 preview terms state. “Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

AWESOME!

I knew it all sounded too good to be true.

Don't use a technical preview for anything remotely sensitive if you don't want MS to have that information. As far as I know, this isn't new. They do a TON of automated data collection for tech previews. They rely primarily on this data rather than manually submitted feedback.
Exactly. Telemetry is a huge part of the testing/feedback cycle for Microsoft's major products. They can't know what to fix (or what's going unused) if they aren't told about it. And humans are terrible at manually reporting such things.

Loopy wrote on Oct 4, 2014, 14:23:
Does anyone know why collecting "browsing, search and file history" information would be useful to improving the experience? I noticed they keylog for improving spellcheck features, but that's all that immediately comes to mind.
So they know how you're searching. Are you using the new search tools? Are you searching more for files or websites? Are you finding the thing you're looking for? Etc.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 3, 2014, 16:43 ViRGE

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 16:39:
I remember Microsoft claiming that DirectX 8 would be included with Windows ME and that turned out to be a crock of shit.
Uh, you can get up to DirectX 9 with Windows ME and 98. Heck, you can get up to DX8.0 on Windows 95 of all things.

News Comments > The Evil Within Minimum Specs
18. Re: The Evil Within Minimum Specs Oct 3, 2014, 14:05 ViRGE

Wallshadows wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:13:
ldonyo wrote on Oct 3, 2014, 10:03:
50GB of disk space?!? If your ISP employs a data cap you'd better plan well in advance for the download. I realize the download won't be 50GB, but it won't be less than 30GB.

When I saw that Shadows of Mordor was 34GB, I could almost feel the letter my ISP would likely send me asking what the fuck was going on even though we don't have a (visible) data cap.

Shit is getting out of hand.
Now that all of the consoles have Blu-Ray, games are going to get bigger. Developers can design games to use up to 50GB of data, and all things considered they're rarely short of material to fill it with. After being able to get by on DVD-9s for so long this does suck, but it's not as if we didn't have fair warning.

Ultimately this just means that some of us are going to have to go back to buying physical games until the Internet infrastructure catches up.

News Comments > TOXIKK Gameplay Trailer
3. Re: TOXIKK Gameplay Trailer Sep 20, 2014, 18:43 ViRGE

Fantaz wrote on Sep 20, 2014, 18:00:
lookin good.
Looking very good. Hopefully the shipping game can live up to this trailer.

News Comments > MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow?
58. Re: MS to Reveal $2.5B Mojang Deal Tomorrow? Sep 14, 2014, 22:02 ViRGE

Ludomancer wrote on Sep 14, 2014, 17:14:
If this turns out to be true, and I doubt it's false with so many reports in the last week, this is one of the harshest betrayals I've felt by someone I respected. He walked the walk, but... only half-way?
Instead of talking betrayal, you should be happy for Notch. He has created something so wonderful that it is loved by kids and adults the world-over, and as a result someone is willing to make him a billionaire for it.

News Comments > Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced
19. Re: Star Trek: Alien Domain Announced Sep 12, 2014, 10:02 ViRGE

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 21:03:
the most chronologically recent Star Trek canon

What does that even mean? The latest movie canon? Because if yes.. then meh!
It means it's not the movie canon. Chronologically the tail end of TNG era is the most chronologically recent canon.

News Comments > Spacecom This Month
1. Re: Spacecom This Month Sep 6, 2014, 02:24 ViRGE

Starfleet Command. Now there's a game whose name I haven't heard in a while.  

News Comments > Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Announced
17. Re: Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell Announced Aug 30, 2014, 01:00 ViRGE

Well I figured that it would be an open world action game, however after Volition's past comments I'm shocked it's Saints Row. I have to wonder whether this is something Volition wanted to do, or if it's something Deep Silver basically made them do.
Elf Shot The Food wrote on Aug 29, 2014, 23:29:
I didn't like Kinzie. Her constant sarcasm got old really fast.
Your opinion has been noted. And disregarded.

"Hey Kenzie, you wanna fuck?"

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Aug 29, 2014, 05:03 ViRGE

Viva la Nintendo!  

News Comments > A City Sleeps Announced
1. Re: A City Sleeps Announced Aug 28, 2014, 20:58 ViRGE

It's not the best trailer. But none the less it is Harmonix, so it's something worth keeping an eye on.  

1415 Comments. 71 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo