Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1369 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
32. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 11, 2014, 22:09 ViRGE

Redmask wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 22:02:
Cabezone wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 21:42:
How about you people stop bitching and get larger hard drives? Hard drive space is super cheap nowadays.

Titanfall doesn't have stellar loading times already and many gamers these days use an SSD for their operating system and running whatever games they happen to be playing. 35GB of audio files is completely unnecessary and there is no real defense of it.
Agreed in full. There's no reason to be using uncompressed audio in 2014. It's a waste of space, and more importantly it's a waste of bandwidth (since most people are downloading this game).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Titanfall Reviews
47. Re: Titanfall Reviews Mar 11, 2014, 02:14 ViRGE

Linksil wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:26:
Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:23:
Cabezone wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:17:
Also..microsofts shitty game servers are fucking dying over the launch load.

I edited my original post, it seems it's actually being hosted on EA servers. So big surprise that they don't fucking work.

Funny thing was when the beta servers were shitting all over themselves... it was EA saying MS servers were the problem and that MS was hosting all the match matching/authentication.
It's a bit of both. From what it sounds like, EA is using MS's Azure service to host the game servers (rather than buying from someone else or running their own). So it can technically be the fault of both parties. EA can not order enough servers, and MS's servers can deliver lower performance than they are supposed to.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 02:11 ViRGE

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 00:39:
Um, question, wtf does 'future iterations of Star Citizen' mean? Does that mean it's money not being spent on Star Citizen and being used for another game down the road or what?
Roberts would like to further add to the Persistent universe after the game's launch, popularity and resources permitting. New ships, new worlds, new gameplay opportunities, etc.

As it stands Star Citizen is "frozen" to prevent feature creep. So new ideas get punted to post-launch.

News Comments > Space Noir Announced
9. Re: Space Noir Announced Mar 10, 2014, 17:43 ViRGE

Task wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 11:30:
too arcadey for my tastes, looks more catered to easy time console play
Which is fine by me. I enjoy an arcadey space sim just as well. However I'm leery about getting mobile hand-me-downs. (hand-me-ups?)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 10, 2014, 04:35 ViRGE

Kosumo wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 00:34:
SP:TSOT - Really enjoying it.

BUT I wish I could unsee some of the things I have seen - I'm talking Gnomes boss fight.

If you've seen it, you know what I mean. Shocked
That's pretty tame. Now the shrunken adventure towards the end is more vivid than I would have wanted to see. Freak

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
21. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 7, 2014, 16:13 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 11:48:
You're right about it not being much trouble to release for XP if you already support last-gen consoles, but XP being called a "huge install base" is laughable. It's 6% of PC gamers according to Steam.
More importantly, it means someone took the time to do the QA work to validate XP. That just seems like a huge waste of time, considering the OS dies next month.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Mar 5, 2014, 00:09 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 23:15:
Maybe someone with more understanding of economics and price elasticity can answer a question: are media different from other goods with respect to their interchangeability? Whereas I'm likely to choose between a Honda and a Lexus based on which I can afford (they are interchangeable), I don't really choose media that way. I don't buy Game of Thrones because it's cheaper than Lord of the Rings. I have a certain price threshold for each. For a game I'm really into I'll pay full price, for games I'm less into I pay less. If the price remains high, I simply live without (which, given my backlog, is probably for the best). And it depends completely on the individual game, not even on the genre of game.
To put it succiently, there's a reason bargain bins exist. People will buy all sorts of bad stuff if it's cheap.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 19:52 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 19:46:
I would venture to guess that Valve has a bare minimum price point at which any dev conducting a sale in that manner is allowed to charge, whereby the entirety will go to Valve. 25 cents or 50 cents or a dollar, whatever. So technically they could give it away for free, but the price will not be zero. So even if hell freezes over and the games become insanely cheap across the board (moreso than they already periodically are), they can still prevent abuse and/or keep the lights on.
Sure, for paid games. But Steam also supports F2P games, so there's an avenue to making games outright free.

In which case PC game developers would be driven right into the same pit that mobile games have been driven. A race to the bottom that sees all the money made on IAPs, which requires making gameplay secondary to monetization.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
9. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 4, 2014, 14:41 ViRGE

Verno wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 11:28:
It took them the better part of a year and a half to add the XMB which frankly never quite worked optimally.
A year and a half to add the XMB? The PS3 shipped with the XMB. So I'm not sure what this is in reference to.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 4, 2014, 14:27 ViRGE

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 09:09:
"Microsoft Windows 8 not getting boost from end of XP support. "
Wasn't the XP expiry pushed out by another year?
XP is done for on April 8th of this year.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth
28. Re: Ships Ahoy - South Park: The Stick of Truth Mar 4, 2014, 14:23 ViRGE

Okay, I have a complaint: why are game developers still using friggin Bink video? It's 2014. Please for the love of Mike start using H.264, it's hardware accelerated and it has higher quality to boot.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed
15. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Revealed Mar 4, 2014, 14:02 ViRGE

Am I the only person that doesn't want another Batman game? After 3 games I'm getting really concerned they're going to run this genre into the ground, like Call of Duty and music games before it.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Mar 1, 2014, 13:01 ViRGE

Julio wrote on Mar 1, 2014, 11:53:
Just because the government can spy on us with cellphones doesn't mean we have to bring a SpyboxOne into our homes.
Just because the government can spy on us with cellphones doesn't mean they're doing it with the XB1.

Especially not when a cell phone is a far more useful spying tool period. It's a camera, microphone, and tracking device all in one. So either get rid of your cell phone, or stop worrying about your XB1.

News Comments > Strike Vector Free Content Released
3. Re: Strike Vector Free Content Released Feb 28, 2014, 20:14 ViRGE

I keep meaning to look into this game, but never get around to it. How is it?  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 28, 2014, 16:43 ViRGE

gray wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 12:14:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:06:
nin wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 08:39:
Can't help but think this is a less than subtle push to force people to upgrade.
I'm sure it'll be a popular theory, but I don't adhere to it. Most likely the only game seeing any real traffic is Pokemon B&W2. There are a lot of other great games on that list, but not games that have a large player base several years down the road.

The problem with games in general is that the player bases taper off after about a year. Which means supporting servers for only a very small number of people. Though it would be nice to get an idea of what those costs were; I really don't get how it isn't viable to stuff the server on a heavily oversubscribed virtual machine and call it a day.

The solution being to use a dedicated server model.
Er, these are dedicated servers...

News Comments > Minecraft Movie Plans
13. Re: Minecraft Movie Plans Feb 28, 2014, 12:02 ViRGE

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 09:17:
There have been over 100 films, feature length or otherwise, based on video games. This news is neither surprising or unexpected.

Before you check out the link of which games have been so treated, answer this: Has Warcraft been made into a feature film?

Video game films (Wiki)
That reminds me. Where the heck is the English release of Ace Attorney? I don't care how bad it is, I still want to see it.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 28, 2014, 09:06 ViRGE

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 08:39:
Can't help but think this is a less than subtle push to force people to upgrade.
I'm sure it'll be a popular theory, but I don't adhere to it. Most likely the only game seeing any real traffic is Pokemon B&W2. There are a lot of other great games on that list, but not games that have a large player base several years down the road.

The problem with games in general is that the player bases taper off after about a year. Which means supporting servers for only a very small number of people. Though it would be nice to get an idea of what those costs were; I really don't get how it isn't viable to stuff the server on a heavily oversubscribed virtual machine and call it a day.

News Comments > Minecraft Movie Plans
3. Re: Minecraft Movie Plans Feb 28, 2014, 09:01 ViRGE

nin wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 08:48:
Darks wrote on Feb 28, 2014, 08:42:
Kids CGI movie, maybe, live action no!

(re live action) I'm having flashbacks to the Battleship trailer, and imagining this as a gritty, LOST knockoff (and not in a good way).

Not that I think notch would go for that...or at least I hope not.

Notch's eyes are bigger than his stomach (as it were), but he's not dumb. The biggest risk is a Minecraft movie overextending itself, rather than being an absurd, gritty take on what's an E rated video game.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC to Add 1998 Mode
5. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC to Add 1998 Mode Feb 27, 2014, 20:01 ViRGE

Draugr wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 19:10:
ViRGE wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 18:59:
Drayth wrote on Feb 27, 2014, 18:51:
Love the logo
I thought it was an allusion to the Tomb Raider box. But that was 1996.

I think its supposed to resemble the 'Thief' box.
Ahh, so it is. The only version of the Thief box I was familiar with was the square one. But they reused the Tomb Raider trapezoid for Thief at one point too.

Thief box

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 27, 2014, 19:00 ViRGE

Losing a tax credit is not a tax hike, no matter how many times you repeat it.

"New US R&D tax credit laws no longer cover video game studios" would be a far more accurate headline.

1369 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo