Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1381 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 30, 2014, 15:52 ViRGE

nin wrote on Mar 30, 2014, 14:55:
Keep shooting yourself in the foot there, it's wonderful to watch!

How to perform self-amputation: an easy to follow guide by the Microsoft corporation.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam
16. Re: Bulletstorm Disappears from Steam Mar 22, 2014, 18:40 ViRGE

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 22, 2014, 15:05:
That reminds me, I still haven't completed this. But it still pisses me off that the game doesn't allow you to jump - it's a console game through and through.
The lack of jumping and the restricted number of weapons you could hold drove me nuts. If those two factors had been different, even though it wasn't a perfect game it would have been a far better game.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza
5. Re: Far Cry 4 Rumor Extravaganza Mar 21, 2014, 21:05 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Mar 21, 2014, 20:32:
Loved Blood Dragon but wasn't keen on FC3 itself.
Ditto.

Plus this really dilutes any meaning to the Far Cry brand. What exactly about the above makes it Far Cry?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 21, 2014, 20:19 ViRGE

Well it was clearly a MOBA. No one other than MOBA players are quite that dedicated/crazy (dedicated to being crazy?). So the question is, was it LoL or DOTA2?  

News Comments > WildStar Preorders
16. Re: WildStar Preorders Mar 19, 2014, 22:58 ViRGE

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 19, 2014, 15:36:
What's the over/under on this going F2P and then shuttering entirely? 12 months? 18?
I'm going to take the outside bet and say that it does moderately well. Nothing amazing, but enough to turn a small profit.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Ghosts Bans
6. Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts Bans Mar 17, 2014, 15:38 ViRGE

JayDeath wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 15:06:
It never occurred to me that gamers can be so twisted to buy another copy of the game after being banned for hacking just to hack and risk getting banned again. Those people must be really disturbed and sociopathic.
Well it doesn't really work like that. On the consoles for example, the ban is against the console itself. So to get around being banned you're need to buy a new console, create a new account, and buy a new copy of the game. I really don't see most hackers doing that, especially since Sony long stopped producing hackable PS3s.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 17, 2014, 02:47 ViRGE

nin wrote on Mar 16, 2014, 15:44:
Official Dolphin Emulator Website - Pixel Processing Problems: On the Road to Pixel Perfection.

Pretty cool progress they're making there!

Indeed. Being able to do Integer math directly is just a massive improvement; it's hard to get across just how important it is to improving the accuracy of the emulator.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 15, 2014, 17:16 ViRGE

atomicfro wrote on Mar 15, 2014, 15:42:
iPhone Owners Complain that iOS 7.1 Update Causes the Battery to Drain Faster.

Or maybe they've been using their phone long enough the battery is dying...
Indeed. This complaint happens with every version of iOS, regardless of what's changed or what the real effects are.

News Comments > Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled
2. Re: Redesigned Steam Controller Unveiled Mar 14, 2014, 20:18 ViRGE

Well I guess I can't be surprised that they're using the one layout that no one else has used yet: both sticks above, and the buttons down below. It certainly won't be confused with an XB1/PS4/WiiU controller.

That said, the lack of a D-pad seems to be a pretty big oversight. There's a reason why controllers have those buttons on a hard cross, as opposed to making them separate buttons. They're meant to be easy to shift among.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 14, 2014, 00:20 ViRGE

Prez wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 19:24:
entr0py wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 17:05:
Prez wrote on Mar 13, 2014, 14:10:
I'm pretty sure he wasn't committing suicide over a fixed game. This was just the incident that turned out to be that proverbial straw. His life and mental state were probably already in shambles before this.

You're probably right. But some of these young professional players build their whole life and identity around it. Part of his suicide note was :

"I know I could have done better, but thanks to these events my professional career was over," he added. "After practicing to my best for a year, all I had left was a feeling of emptiness."

It's sad when you get to the point where a meaningless competition seems all important. But I imagine there are hardcore athletes in most sports who feel the same way.

Yeah, the Asian hardcore gamer scene is scary intense. I'd like to think Asian gamers would be able to keep the game in perspective, but like you said, how sad is it that some of them feel it's their only useful purpose.
It kind of is their only useful purpose though. They aren't building a real career or real job skills. So after their gaming career is done, what marketable skills do they have?

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
25. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2014, 00:17 ViRGE

PropheT wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 21:26:
The Last of Us is easily the most overrated game I've ever seen. I'm just not sure what people see in it...
TLOU was an interesting movie. It was a terrible game.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 12, 2014, 20:56 ViRGE

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:42:
"No new Windows 7 PCs after October."
Wow Microshaft is getting really desperate to push sales on that turd Win8.
Wonder how long before they will cut off support on Win7, probably a lot sooner than XP was.
Windows 7 reaches the half-life mark this October. So there's no sense loading it on new machines when it only has another 5 years of support left.

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
32. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 11, 2014, 22:09 ViRGE

Redmask wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 22:02:
Cabezone wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 21:42:
How about you people stop bitching and get larger hard drives? Hard drive space is super cheap nowadays.

Titanfall doesn't have stellar loading times already and many gamers these days use an SSD for their operating system and running whatever games they happen to be playing. 35GB of audio files is completely unnecessary and there is no real defense of it.
Agreed in full. There's no reason to be using uncompressed audio in 2014. It's a waste of space, and more importantly it's a waste of bandwidth (since most people are downloading this game).

News Comments > Titanfall Reviews
47. Re: Titanfall Reviews Mar 11, 2014, 02:14 ViRGE

Linksil wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:26:
Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:23:
Cabezone wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 01:17:
Also..microsofts shitty game servers are fucking dying over the launch load.

I edited my original post, it seems it's actually being hosted on EA servers. So big surprise that they don't fucking work.

Funny thing was when the beta servers were shitting all over themselves... it was EA saying MS servers were the problem and that MS was hosting all the match matching/authentication.
It's a bit of both. From what it sounds like, EA is using MS's Azure service to host the game servers (rather than buying from someone else or running their own). So it can technically be the fault of both parties. EA can not order enough servers, and MS's servers can deliver lower performance than they are supposed to.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $40M
21. Re: Star Citizen Passes $40M Mar 11, 2014, 02:11 ViRGE

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 11, 2014, 00:39:
Um, question, wtf does 'future iterations of Star Citizen' mean? Does that mean it's money not being spent on Star Citizen and being used for another game down the road or what?
Roberts would like to further add to the Persistent universe after the game's launch, popularity and resources permitting. New ships, new worlds, new gameplay opportunities, etc.

As it stands Star Citizen is "frozen" to prevent feature creep. So new ideas get punted to post-launch.

News Comments > Space Noir Announced
9. Re: Space Noir Announced Mar 10, 2014, 17:43 ViRGE

Task wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 11:30:
too arcadey for my tastes, looks more catered to easy time console play
Which is fine by me. I enjoy an arcadey space sim just as well. However I'm leery about getting mobile hand-me-downs. (hand-me-ups?)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
27. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 10, 2014, 04:35 ViRGE

Kosumo wrote on Mar 10, 2014, 00:34:
SP:TSOT - Really enjoying it.

BUT I wish I could unsee some of the things I have seen - I'm talking Gnomes boss fight.

If you've seen it, you know what I mean. Shocked
That's pretty tame. Now the shrunken adventure towards the end is more vivid than I would have wanted to see. Freak

News Comments > Dark Souls II PC Specs
21. Re: Dark Souls II PC Specs Mar 7, 2014, 16:13 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 7, 2014, 11:48:
You're right about it not being much trouble to release for XP if you already support last-gen consoles, but XP being called a "huge install base" is laughable. It's 6% of PC gamers according to Steam.
More importantly, it means someone took the time to do the QA work to validate XP. That just seems like a huge waste of time, considering the OS dies next month.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Mar 5, 2014, 00:09 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 23:15:
Maybe someone with more understanding of economics and price elasticity can answer a question: are media different from other goods with respect to their interchangeability? Whereas I'm likely to choose between a Honda and a Lexus based on which I can afford (they are interchangeable), I don't really choose media that way. I don't buy Game of Thrones because it's cheaper than Lord of the Rings. I have a certain price threshold for each. For a game I'm really into I'll pay full price, for games I'm less into I pay less. If the price remains high, I simply live without (which, given my backlog, is probably for the best). And it depends completely on the individual game, not even on the genre of game.
To put it succiently, there's a reason bargain bins exist. People will buy all sorts of bad stuff if it's cheap.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Mar 4, 2014, 19:52 ViRGE

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 19:46:
I would venture to guess that Valve has a bare minimum price point at which any dev conducting a sale in that manner is allowed to charge, whereby the entirety will go to Valve. 25 cents or 50 cents or a dollar, whatever. So technically they could give it away for free, but the price will not be zero. So even if hell freezes over and the games become insanely cheap across the board (moreso than they already periodically are), they can still prevent abuse and/or keep the lights on.
Sure, for paid games. But Steam also supports F2P games, so there's an avenue to making games outright free.

In which case PC game developers would be driven right into the same pit that mobile games have been driven. A race to the bottom that sees all the money made on IAPs, which requires making gameplay secondary to monetization.

1381 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo