Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1628 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > QUAKE LIVE DDoS
4. Re: QUAKE LIVE DDoS Jan 30, 2015, 18:26 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 17:17:
djinn wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 17:04:
Jivaro wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 16:42:
*facepalm*

What an accomplishment. Whomever has done this must be super proud of themselves. /sarcasm

Another kid got his ass handed to him and couldn't handle it.

At least he didn't SWAT someone.
That comes next.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sell Items for Non-Valve Games on Steam Workshop
9. Re: Sell Items for Non-Valve Games on Steam Workshop Jan 28, 2015, 23:48 ViRGE

walrus1 wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 22:30:
How do you know this? It has always been my understanding that Apple is very very secretive about their financials. Also I've read that iTunes takes quite a sizable chunk especially in their music sales.
Apple publishes a relatively detailed revenue breakdown.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2015/01/piechart115.jpg

"Services" which is the iTunes and Mac App stores, was only 6% of their revenue. And periodically they also publish details about how much they've paid out to developers.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/22/itunes-by-the-numbers-q3/

News Comments > Sell Items for Non-Valve Games on Steam Workshop
4. Re: Sell Items for Non-Valve Games on Steam Workshop Jan 28, 2015, 22:08 ViRGE

Yay, I guess? At no point have I really wanted to buy random virtual goods from other people, especially when it starts mucking with game balance such as in TF2.

Alamar wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 20:47:
Reminds me of when Apple announced years back they had paid out 100 million or so to app devs...

Assuming Valve takes the usual 30%, and round it slightly to 33%, that means they've made 25 million 'free' dollars just for hosting that transaction...

Where does all their money go, if not (many) new features, or games...
Quite a bit of it goes towards paying the credit card transaction fees. Valve still makes some money, but they don't get to keep all of it.

At least in Apple's case, the iTunes store is largely revenue neutral. Fees eat most of it, the rest is spent on app advertising.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 28, 2015, 19:09 ViRGE

Julio wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 16:31:
ViRGE wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:17:
"YouTube app and Maps will be removed from PS Vita."

As a Vita owner this is mildly interesting, but at this point I just have to shrug.

I can't say I watch Youtube often on the Vita, but this is pretty underhanded by Sony.
Underhanded? I don't know. YouTube works just fine in the browser, though I will admit I still consider the app better. But apps require licensing with Google, and I can only imagine that Sony was paying Google for the privilege.

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups
5. Re: Far Cry 4 Key Revocation Follow-ups Jan 28, 2015, 10:21 ViRGE

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:00:
Blahblahblah blame game. If those Kinguin fuckers would REALLY properly check their sources, then this wouldn't have happened. THEY sold the stolen keys. Their problem (and that of the cheap ass gamers who bought keys through them), not Ubi's.
Agreed. Kinguin selling stolen keys is about as shocking to me as telling me water is wet. It's a given.

JeffD wrote on Jan 28, 2015, 10:15:
Sorry..devils advocate this time. How exactly do keys get "stolen" and then left in the wild long enough to be sold and used? If ubisoft is going to activate all keys before they sell them, they can't deactivate them months after.
Ubisoft doesn't know they're stolen until EA asks for some of their money back, after EA is hit with a chargeback from the original CC owners, who only initiate a chargeback after they discover their CC info has been fraudulently used. All of that takes time.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 28, 2015, 10:17 ViRGE

"YouTube app and Maps will be removed from PS Vita."

As a Vita owner this is mildly interesting, but at this point I just have to shrug. The Vita is basically dead in the West (and Maps/3G in particular a complete failure) so none of this comes as a real surprise.

News Comments > Resident Evil Revelations 2 Pre-Purchases
1. Re: Resident Evil Revelations 2 Pre-Purchases Jan 27, 2015, 21:46 ViRGE

Don't forget the microtransactions!

If the game is too hard you can buy everything you need to progress. Which always makes one nervous that the game is going to be designed to be too hard and that it's done for the purpose of selling microtransactions.

News Comments > Grim Fandango Remastered & More Star Wars Games on GOG.com
14. Re: Grim Fandango Remastered & More Star Wars Games on GOG.com Jan 27, 2015, 20:49 ViRGE

Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 17:10:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 14:15:
Cutter wrote on Jan 27, 2015, 13:36:
Yeah, I'll grab it when it hits $5. I too still have my original disc and jewel case too. I wonder if the music is redbooked. Always loved the soundtrack for that game.

From the link:
the same musical score as before, re-recorded in higher quality with no unnecessary compression;

Yeah, but that doesn't answer my question.
It's a digital download, so asking if it's CD audio seems to be something of an odd question.

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Announced
9. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Announced Jan 27, 2015, 00:34 ViRGE

Dagnamit wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 20:16:
Icewind wrote on Jan 26, 2015, 19:08:
Didn't the first one come out just about a year ago?

By this time next year, they should be announcing the 6th game.

The first one was in August. That's 3 games, or rather, one game and two paid point releases in 6 months.
Indeed. This is getting silly. But good for the developer, I guess?

News Comments > TOXIKK Early Access
12. Re: TOXIKK Early Access Jan 24, 2015, 07:04 ViRGE

Jerykk wrote on Jan 24, 2015, 06:49:
Not enough gadgets? T:A had way more weapons and items than any of its predecessors.
I suspect he meant deployables. Motion sensors, turrets, sensor jammers, inv/ammo stations, cameras, etc. Not to mention the obscene number of deployables in mods such as Shifter.

News Comments > More Star Wars on GOG.com
10. Re: More Star Wars on GOG.com Jan 24, 2015, 00:17 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 21:58:
ViRGE wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 21:07:
Graham wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 18:21:
Rogue Squadron? Well hot damn, GoG. Hot damn.
Indeed. Rogue Squadron was a ton of fun, and after this game it was no surprise that Nintendo made sure to lock it up as a console exclusive for the GameCube.

3rded...and I'd forgotten there was a pc port of Shadows. Hope that shows up as well.
Eh... The PC version of Shadows of the Empire was not very good.

9. Re: TOXIKK Early Access Jan 23, 2015, 21:12 ViRGE

Quinn wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 19:12:
"Lets frag like its 1999" makes great sense and promise in everything they show EXCEPT for the goddamn vehicles!

Either make a tribes wannabe, or a UT/Quake wannabe if you want to succeed in that 1999 feel.

Maybe I'm wrong -- haven't played it! -- but I really think those vehicles are a wast . It removes that personal feel: You didn't just lose a fight against this annoyingly good Master1337, but just a hovertank.
Which is why there are maps with both. Because let's be frank, the vehicles were a ton of fun in UT2004. And despite the 1999 tag-line, what they're really setting out to emulate is the latter UT.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 23, 2015, 21:10 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 18:16:
Smartphones, tablets & eBay send SkyMall to Chapter 11.

Good riddance.
Indeed.

Hopefully airlines can replace it with something people might actually want to read. Reader's Digest, anyone?

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 23, 2015, 21:08 ViRGE

Overon wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 20:59:
I think there is some disillusionment with the whole crowdfunding process.
And for good reason, unfortunately.

News Comments > More Star Wars on GOG.com
4. Re: More Star Wars on GOG.com Jan 23, 2015, 21:07 ViRGE

Graham wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 18:21:
Rogue Squadron? Well hot damn, GoG. Hot damn.
Indeed. Rogue Squadron was a ton of fun, and after this game it was no surprise that Nintendo made sure to lock it up as a console exclusive for the GameCube.

6. Re: TOXIKK Early Access Jan 23, 2015, 17:19 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Jan 23, 2015, 16:37:
I will own this eventually, although I never buy anything EA.

That being said, this is probably one of the few games where EA makes sense. They've got the engine, some levels, some characters, most of the weapons. It looks playable, and they've just got to tweak gameplay and add more content.
Agreed on both counts. As a matter of principle I don't buy Early Access games. But of all the games to use Early Access, this is one of the few where it makes sense. The core games is essentially complete, and they're just short levels and characters.

News Comments > Roberts: Star Citizen Will "Probably" Pass $100M; Release Schedule Expanded
63. Re: Roberts: Star Citizen Will Jan 22, 2015, 17:56 ViRGE

panbient wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 16:46:
Flatline wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 13:39:
nin wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 13:02:
Orogogus wrote on Jan 22, 2015, 12:59:
There's Artemis Bridge Simulator. The way it works, as far as I can tell, is to purposely make things complicated by not giving the captain (or anyone) access to all the readouts and controls. One guy could do everything, if the game let him/her, but it doesn't so you get to LARP around with your pals asking Spock for sensor readings and Scotty for more power.

EDIT: I've wondered the same thing before, though. When I ask what people expect a claw operator to actually do when there's no clawing to be done, they assure me it would be awesome. Whatever. It's their dream, not mine.

Oh wow, I didn't know that had made it to steam. Seen a few videos of that one, and it's always cool to watch folks "play" it.

It is a lot of fun. Comms is meh but it's an interesting team building exercise.

I'll back this up. Had a blast the time I played it with a co-worker and his crew. The Steam version looks way nicer than I remember as well. Then again all I remember doing was looking at a grid and reading coordinates for my play session (still got intense when we were under attack).

I recommend it to anyone who can appreciate old school style gaming that relies on mechanics over graphics and who likes Star Trek (original flavour). Also helps to have a handful of friends who share that attitude.
I find that it's very hard to find people nerdy enough to play Artemis seriously. But if you can find a good crew, it's a blast to play.

News Comments > Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell Released
5. Re: Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell Released Jan 20, 2015, 18:55 ViRGE

I'm a bit worried about this one. The early reviews have not been terribly kind.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 20, 2015, 18:03 ViRGE

Zor wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 11:19:
OMG i want that claptrap!!! AHHHHH!!!
I have to admit an R/C Claptrap would be pretty cool...

News Comments > LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com
24. Re: LucasArts Wave II on GOG.com Jan 20, 2015, 17:30 ViRGE

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 14:19:
Pigeon wrote on Jan 20, 2015, 13:50:
X vs.T was a let down at the time, they scraped the campaigns in favor of an online component; back in the days of dial-up. I think I ended up returning it for several reasons

Yep, I also remember being massively disappointed at the lack of a real campaign. However, going in with low expectations, I also remember being very positively surprised by the quality of the gameplay and the great single player missions. It might not have been a coherent campaign but it still ended up being a very decent single player experience. Still a shame though that they did not have an epic campaign with cutscenes etc. at a time when Wing Commander 3/4 defined the space opera genre.
XvT: Balance of Power more or less made up for the lack of a SP campaign and is included in the GoG release. It wasn't as long as campaigns in X-Wing or Tie Fighter, but on the other hand you were able to play the same campaign from both the Rebel and Imperial sides, which to this day I don't think anyone else has ever done.

1628 Comments. 82 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo