Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1369 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > WildStar Devs on Warplots
2. Re: WildStar Devs on Warplots Apr 23, 2014, 22:17 ViRGE

Stanly Manly wrote on Apr 23, 2014, 21:21:
Got a beta invite for the weekend. Honestly I am not excited for this game at all anymore. Battlegrounds and instanced worlds... Just nothing new.

Someone, please... make a non-instanced MMO with open world pvp...
That would be called EVE. And what happens with non-instanced PvP is that servers quickly melt as everyone congregates in the same battle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GRID Autosport Announced
1. Re: GRID Autosport Announced Apr 22, 2014, 08:51 ViRGE

I won't knock Codemasters for giving their customers what they want. But the more authentic the simulation the less accessible it is to the average player. Hopefully this is something everyone is prepared for.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 21, 2014, 16:29 ViRGE

Beamer wrote on Apr 21, 2014, 12:17:
Are those fees broadcasters charge fair?
Are they necessary?
Are they fair? Well they're competitive with the rates that other networks charge cable companies for similar variety networks (and less than ESPN, obviously).

Are they necessary? At one point in time they weren't, but these days it's difficult to make the business work without them. Advertising doesn't pay as well as it used to these days (Super Bowl excluded, obviously), and the bifurcation of viewers over many channels has simultaneously harmed overall revenues. Meanwhile the major networks have significant overhead (affiliates and OTA broadcasting) while a network like AMC can can charge cable companies and collect ad revenue at the same time. Higher expenses and lower revenue is never a winning combination.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 21, 2014, 01:56 ViRGE

The Nintendo link is dead.  

News Comments > Free Battlefield 1942 Redux
1. Re: Free Battlefield 1942 Redux Apr 18, 2014, 19:23 ViRGE

I miss the simplicity of 1942. None of this grindy/P2W unlock nonsense or fiddling with half a million different combinations of guns. You had your fixed classes and each role was rigidly defined. Meanwhile everyone had enough HP that they wouldn't drop like a rock, and WW2 style aircraft going up against flak was far more fun than the high speed antics of jets and AA missiles.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 17, 2014, 12:44 ViRGE

Well that would be interesting. But the number of Western Vita owners is still so low that I doubt it would have ever been financially viable unless Sony footed the complete bill.  

News Comments > Crysis and Crysis 2 MP Support End Next Month
1. Re: Crysis and Crysis 2 MP Support End Next Month Apr 14, 2014, 20:59 ViRGE

I can't say I'm surprised. There aren't enough MP players in either game to justify the cost of moving it to use another backend.  

News Comments > PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming
9. Re: PAX East Panel Bullish on PC Gaming Apr 12, 2014, 16:02 ViRGE

Although I don't consider the state of PC gaming to be all woe and dreariness, I have to wonder if the answer isn't going to depend on who is asking the question. These guys discuss how revenue is greater, but don't broach the issue of unit sales.

The PC is by var the more versatile platform, which is why it has MMOs and other kinds of games that can't easily be done on consoles. But when it comes to traditional AAA game releases consoles move more units, consoles get more exclusives, and consoles form the lowest common denominator. It's this schism that allows the panel to say that PC gaming is doing great, while at the same time allowing players to lament the lack of games for the PC.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2014, 00:02 ViRGE

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 20:05:
nin wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 18:25:
Not sure what to make of Harmonix. One says yes, one says no.

I got tired of Rock Band and other games like it. Guitars, drums, and mic collecting dust for some time now....I don't have (nor want) the time to put into it to get to the higher levels....it was more of a "have friends over and mess around" sort of thing.
It is a fun party game. No more but no less.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
61. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 11, 2014, 23:44 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 22:32:
Why the fuck is everyone hooting and hollering at this? It looks nice, but it's just a space ship flying around... It takes a lot to trigger my cringe response, but this did it.
It has been 15 years since the last AAA space sim. People are excited to finally see another one come to fruition.

News Comments > Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers
31. Re: Star Citizen Gameplay Trailers Apr 11, 2014, 20:01 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2014, 19:28:
Despite the negativity in this forum, and the poor preparation for this presentation, I thought it looked good. They have the game engine, environment, and flight modeling in place along with rudimentary combat. It's obviously pre-alpha, but the skeleton is there.
Agreed. It's a shame it's still as unstable as it is, but at the same time this is a game that's going to be in development for at least another year (working up to Squadron 42). So at this stage everything is coming together as well as I had originally expected it to. It's looking good.

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed
10. Re: Orcs Must Die! Unchained Revealed Apr 10, 2014, 20:42 ViRGE

KTR wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 20:03:
Was excited till F2P. Crap! I totally want a game like Monday Night Combat.
Ditto. MNC was a ton of fun, and it's a shame it never got the audience it deserved.

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Apr 10, 2014, 17:24 ViRGE

Prez wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 15:42:
descender wrote on Apr 10, 2014, 15:00:
The problem I see with F2P games is really the people that complain when they have to eventually spend some money. What on earth did you think was going on here? Did you think they just built these games to waste time? They are very obviously always going to have a hook that requires some monetary investment. Every game can't be as popular as LoL/DOTA2 with installed player bases in the millions that no longer care about the average freeloader. They will always and forever be initially designed around generating a constant revenue stream.

When I buy a "traditional" game (using the author's definition of traditional) I know that I am done paying for it once I have bought it. What bugs me most about F2P is that it usually isn't clear what your financial outlay is going to be. The term "nickel and diming" comes to mind. That, and that F2P almost HAS to be multiplayer for it to be succesful from the developer standpoint. I don't like multiplayer games. Right now the only F2P game that remotely interests me is Path of Exile.
And that's an incredibly important point. There's no fixed cost version of these games. Only a version that costs you more forever.

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed
33. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Confirmed Apr 9, 2014, 21:42 ViRGE

Well I for one will be keeping an eye on this one. I did like BL2, and while that doesn't make such a daftly named sequel a sure-thing for me, it does at least warrant further examination once it's near completion.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 9, 2014, 20:21 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 9, 2014, 19:27:
"Microsoft ended support of Windows XP on Tuesday, leaving the many still clinging to the outdated software exposed to cyberattacks."

LIKE IT HASNT BEEN ALL ALONG!

What kind of scam we trying to pull here?

Year after year, month after month a new security patch, they obviously cannot just close any of their O/S's up and be NOT EXPOSED TO CYBERATTACKS.

So stop with the "Exposed to Cyberattacks" it always has been with MS support or not.
This is all very true. But at the end of the day there is still a huge difference between holes that are fixed and holes that are left open. The later are far more dangerous since it means they are going to be widely exploited.

News Comments > GameSpy Shutting Down Services
53. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 15:18 ViRGE

Scott Kevill wrote on Apr 4, 2014, 05:48:
As far as I know, no one has any tears for the GameSpy tech itself. It's more that the tech was forced as the only way to play some of these games online. It's the loss of multiplayer for these games that is being mourned.
I have tears for it. The master server system was simple but effective, which is why they had been able to run it for so many years for games that have all but died.

34. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 4, 2014, 00:40 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:02:
ViRGE wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:45:
This leaves Steamworks as the only common backend still running.

Origin?

*ducks*
Good point. Does Origin offer a multiplayer backend like Gamespy did? My understanding is that they're just a storefront providing sales and activation/DRM, but I could very well be wrong about that.

Ant wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 20:55:
So, will ANY companies open up their games' GamesSpy stuff so people can play online?
I think it'll depend in part on what needs to be replaced. The master server/server browser functionality should be easy to replicate if it hasn't been done already. CD keys and NAT traversal would be a much bigger problem.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
29. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 4, 2014, 00:05 ViRGE

Darks wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 19:15:
ViRGE wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:37:
Am I the only person who has essentially completely forgotten about this game?

Seriously dude, give it a rest already. if you don't like the game please don't come in here spouting shit like that. No one cares about your lame opinion. The game happens to pretty damn good. But someone like you who most likely never played one second of the game has a negative opinion about the game.

I'm fine with people like you not liking the game, but why is it you all need to reiterate that fact in the forums a hundred times over?
Woah hoss, easy. I don't think I've ever commented on any of the ESO threads, so I don't have a horse in this race or any real opinion on the game.

It just seemed to me that this game hasn't attracted a lot of attention. Not like some of the other major MMO launches of the past few years. So to find out that it was coming out tomorrow has taken me by surprise.

3. Re: GameSpy Shutting Down Services Apr 3, 2014, 18:45 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2014, 18:32:
End of an era.
Indeed.

Pour a drink to fallen friends (and in this case services).

This does come at an interesting time though. So very close to the shutdown of Games For Windows Live. This leaves Steamworks as the only common backend still running.

Now does anyone have a list of games that are using GameSpy?

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
1. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 3, 2014, 18:37 ViRGE

Am I the only person who has essentially completely forgotten about this game?  

1369 Comments. 69 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo