Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1352 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Free Unreal Tournament Plans
41. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 23:20 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2014, 22:43:
I want someone to recreate Hall of Giants. Best CTF map ever.
Wow, now there's a map I haven't seen in years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 18:14 ViRGE

Primalchrome wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:46:
ViRGE wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:35:
F2P and the junk marketplace all but ruined TF2. So I believe there's legitimate reason to be concerned.
By what metric?
By the metric of being a good game. Since it went P2W it became an unholy mish-mash of unbalanced weapons and increasingly uglier character decorations and weapons. Valve's much-vaunted (at the time) TF2 art style and the subtle design choices that went with that (e.g. distinct character silhouettes) has been thrown completely out the window, as has any real effort to balance the game.

30. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 17:35 ViRGE

Primalchrome wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:26:
It worked for Team Fortress 2 - one of the most popular games on steam
It worked for League of Legends - highest number of players in the world

Why all the hate? You fear fragmentation? I'm sure free maps will be all the rage...and extra maps will be a pittance. Hats, skins, weapons, sound packs, announcer packs, weapon skins, etc....those will be found in abundance and fund the game itself. If you're a cheap ass that doesn't believe in a patron model of software development, you can play for free. If you're a whale that does believe in the patron model, you can support your dev/modder to your heart's content.

Where is the room to whine?
F2P and the junk marketplace all but ruined TF2. So I believe there's legitimate reason to be concerned.

29. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 17:33 ViRGE

Sho wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:07:
ViRGE wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:05:
Just to be clear here, is Epic actually devoting a development team to this? I.E. coders, artists, designers, etc?

The announcement refers to a "small team of UT veterans" seeding development, so as I understand it they do plan to have an Epic dev presence at the heart of the project. I'm curious to hear who's in that team that I still recognize from the good old UT99 days ...
Okay. I interpreted that as a team of veteran players leading development, which is not the same full-time Epic staff working on the issue.

Sho wrote on May 8, 2014, 17:15:
I think a good comparison for those not used to open-style development is using Firefox or Chrome (Chrome isn't open per-se, but the Chromium project largely is, and Chrome is just a repackage of Chromium with some closed bits) along with the add-on marketplaces for those. Try to think of it more like this.

Trying to apply this model to an AAA game with involvement from a traditional game maker is a relatively new/rare thing and has no guarantee of success, but it's very interesting. Governance is what makes or breaks these projects/communities, and host companies are often inexperienced and unprepared for the challenge. But open-style has been around for a while now and there's more awareness and advice available, so it's gotten easier not to fuck up.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. But it's important to point out that the vast majority of work on both of those browsers is done by their respective host company. They're only trivially open to outside developers; the open source aspect largely amounts to the ability to pull down the code and do your own build, rather than contributing back to the master build.

22. Re: Free Unreal Tournament Plans May 8, 2014, 17:05 ViRGE

Just to be clear here, is Epic actually devoting a development team to this? I.E. coders, artists, designers, etc?

Because this description makes it sound like they're doing it completely ad-hoc. Which just strikes me as a terrible idea. No one in the history of mankind ever liked doing the "unfun" parts of development, and there's something to be said for having paid professionals working on thornier issues such as UIs, coherent art styles, and game balance. Least we end up with a UI done in Courier New by a development team that thinks Facing Worlds Instagib is the perfect model for all UT gameplay.

I'm also worried about the marketplace. It may not be P2W (thankfully), but it does leave me concerned that this is a game with essentially infinite cost. You'd keep having to buy maps and mods.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week
12. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 2, 2014, 19:34 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on May 2, 2014, 18:53:
nin wrote on May 2, 2014, 18:48:
Yeah, they have their work cut out for them after UT3/Black.

Not sure why that version gets so much hate. I think it's pretty excellent. I still have it installed, and the graphics and gameplay still hold up. Did it have a crappy launch? I didn't pick it up until 6 months or so after release.
It wasn't terrible at launch, but it wasn't a worthy successor to UT2K4. The UI at launch was very clearly optimized for consoles and the server browser was similarly neutered. Plus it was missing several features that are normally important for these types of games, such as client side demo recording.

All of that was fixed in the Black/2.0 patch, but as someone else noted it came a bit late.

Though none of this really fixes the questionable art direction of the game. Epic wanted to make heavy use of motion blur and depth-of-field, which is something that makes no sense in a game like UT.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week
10. Re: Unreal Tournament Reveal Teased for Next Week May 2, 2014, 19:25 ViRGE

Holy crap! Holy crap! Holy crap!  

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs
5. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Specs May 2, 2014, 09:00 ViRGE

Mad Max RW wrote on May 2, 2014, 08:46:
50GB is ridiculous. Rage was half that.
It's the wave of the future. Both consoles have BD this time around and there's no advantage to not filling the disc, so devs are free to go crazy. 25GB (single-layer) and 50GB (dual-layer) will be the install sizes for games that use the current-gen consoles as a baseline. And it may very well go up if assets ship compressed for distribution, as has been the case for PC games for years (not to be confused with always-on texture compression).

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 1, 2014, 21:19 ViRGE

Someone Beat Super Mario 3 In 3 Minutes…
You're playing it wrong, buddy.

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
40. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 1, 2014, 21:09 ViRGE

There is no way suing Oculus (and by extension Carmack) is going to end well...  

News Comments > NOLF Trademarks Filed
6. Re: NOLF Trademarks Filed May 1, 2014, 20:49 ViRGE

gsilver wrote on May 1, 2014, 18:40:
From the sound of it, they picked up the IP somewhere, so this is (hopefully) the first step towards a release on GOG and other services.

...I've been wanting to replay NOLF. I've got the cds somewhere, but a rerelease would be nice.
I for one lost my CDs years ago, so a chance to buy a modern copy (without DRM) would be fantastic. They don't make FPSes like this anymore.

News Comments > Defiance Going F2P
2. Re: Defiance Going F2P May 1, 2014, 20:48 ViRGE

Honestly this is 6 months later than I had expected. I figured they would go F2P by winter 2013.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution UE4 Video
17. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution UE4 Video Apr 30, 2014, 23:42 ViRGE

Overon wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 18:14:
Are there still smart PC gamers impressed by tech demos?
Yes! I for one love tech demos. See tomorrow today!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Child of Light
4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Child of Light Apr 30, 2014, 23:39 ViRGE

My games queue is backed up enough as it is. But this will definitely be worth keeping an eye on. The Ubi Art engine has proven to be very impressive so it's interesting how other Ubi Art projects such as this turn out.  

News Comments > Serious Sam Classics: Revolution Released
2. Re: Serious Sam Classics: Revolution Released Apr 30, 2014, 23:24 ViRGE

I'm a bit lost as to what exactly they're adding. But hey, free content!  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal
2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - PC BloodRayne: Betrayal Apr 30, 2014, 21:29 ViRGE

I'm trying not to be snarky here. I really am. But did anyone ask for this? It was not exactly a well received game on the consoles.  

News Comments > Disney Infinity 2.0 with Marvel Super Heroes This Fall
6. Re: Disney Infinity 2.0 with Marvel Super Heroes This Fall Apr 30, 2014, 21:27 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 30, 2014, 20:22:
To me it's unbelievable that some people imo fall for this.
What is there to say? Kids are easily influenced.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 30, 2014, 04:53 ViRGE

CrimsonPaw wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 22:08:
I think it's awesome that the free (for Plus members) PS4 launch game will launch a YEAR after it was supposed to; I would probably be upset if I was a car game enthusiast.
The schedule slip is shocking. I can understand a moderate delay on a launch game for a new article. But how do you slip a year and not realize it until shortly before it's due?

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Adds Support for SteamOS/Linux/Newest Consoles
6. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Adds Support for SteamOS/Linux/Newest Consoles Apr 24, 2014, 20:33 ViRGE

Fantaz wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 17:42:
SirKnight wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 17:38:
The elemental demo being released is the unreal project for those who subscribe to UE4. This is not a standalone exe for everyone.

It's listed in the UE4 launcher under Marketplace as "Coming Soon! ETA 22:30 GMT"

ohh shucks... boo!
I'll second that boo. I don't understand why Epic doesn't release executable versions of these tech demos to the public. They have nothing to lose, and more than a few of us would like to see the real thing rather than a video.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2014, 23:08.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2014, 20:03 ViRGE

nin wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 16:23:
PropheT wrote on Apr 24, 2014, 16:18:
That's been the warhorn for Xbox One since it launched (the PS4 has no games because our games averaged .4 higher at launch!).

Someone posted this the other day in both r/ps4 and r/xboxone and you can imagine how well it went down...

Huh. I didn't realize there was such a disparity.

1352 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo