Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1382 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
5. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jun 1, 2014, 20:23 ViRGE

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 1, 2014, 18:36:
But suddenly everyone is going to pay more for one that was IN A FUCKING LANDFILL?!?! %)
On the contrary. I expect any bids they get for this garbage will be tiny. Gamers aren't quite as dumb as we give them credit for, especially on something as mind-bogglingly common as Atari games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black May 30, 2014, 20:37 ViRGE

Quboid wrote on May 30, 2014, 16:09:
Can anyone recommend a 27" monitor? As far as I can see it's either 1440p@60hz or 1080p@120hz unless I feel like importing a QNIX QX2710 from South Korea and overclocking it, which I don't.
Correct, those are your two options. My preference would be for 27" 1440p; the higher refresh rate is nice, but not at the low pixel density of 1080p on such a large monitor.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition May 30, 2014, 20:35 ViRGE

The only concern I have about buying SF4 right now is that Ultra SF4 is due next month.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews May 30, 2014, 03:09 ViRGE

Um, yeah.
That's a pretty accurate summary right there. The editor/publisher of that magazine came off as a creep and a Rank S liar. The fact that he would even bother to lie like that is more insulting than his magazine.

News Comments > Unreal Tournament 3 GameSpy Patches
1. Re: Unreal Tournament 3 GameSpy Patches May 29, 2014, 17:57 ViRGE

Oh good, I was wondering when this would arrive. I'm glad to see Epic is still supporting UT3.  

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Battlepack Sales
2. Re: Battlefield 4 Battlepack Sales May 27, 2014, 21:35 ViRGE

So they've coupled pay-to-win with a slot machine?  

News Comments > Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide
32. Re: Watch Dogs NVIDIA Drivers & Tweak Guide May 26, 2014, 20:45 ViRGE

Quboid wrote on May 26, 2014, 16:23:
This has been released?
No. People are pirating the heck out of it.

News Comments > Star Wars: Attack Squadrons Grounded
12. Re: Op Ed May 24, 2014, 18:17 ViRGE

LibertyOrDeath wrote on May 24, 2014, 14:50:
Glad they had the guts to scrap it.
Indeed. Most game companies won't scrap a project by the time it makes it to a closed beta. It legitimately takes a good degree of fortitude to be willing to admit a game isn't working and to call it quits this late into development.

News Comments > Kaiju-A-GoGo Trailer
3. Re: Kaiju-A-GoGo Trailer May 23, 2014, 22:32 ViRGE

Kaiju-A-GoGo? If that's not a Viewtiful Joe reference then I would be shocked.  

News Comments > Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development?
15. Re: Gooseman Outs Half-Life 3 and L4D3 Development? May 22, 2014, 19:03 ViRGE

Mad Max RW wrote on May 22, 2014, 18:04:
t's funny seeing all the phony rage at Valve because you know you're going to buy it anyway.
That would require them to release it first.

Wildone wrote on May 22, 2014, 18:25:
I have it on good authority..HL3 is dead and L4D isn't on a fast track either..
What is Valve's 2014 game, anyhow?

News Comments > Crytek Announces Arena of Fate
6. Re: Crytek Announces Arena of Fate May 22, 2014, 09:45 ViRGE

Verno wrote on May 22, 2014, 09:32:
MOBA has to be hitting critical mass soon, if not already.
I'm fairly sure we're past critical mass. Now we're up to Pets.com; there's no business strategy and no idea how to make money, it's just copying what everyone else is doing.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation May 21, 2014, 23:46 ViRGE

Jivaro wrote on May 21, 2014, 17:23:
Trashy wrote on May 21, 2014, 15:18:
HoSpanky wrote on May 21, 2014, 14:46:
I have a WiiU, but the handful of Wii games that I have don't have online functions. I honestly haven't even tried using Wii games on it.

I would assume, that since it'll run a Wii emulator, it won't work.

The WiiU doesn't use an emulator for Wii game compatibility, it's running a similar hardware architecture as the Wii and is binary compatible. There are some minor hardware/software differences that will break somethings of course..

So...sort of how they did the gamecube within the Wii than...
Somewhat. Unlike GC->Wii, the GPU is entirely new. They just have a very good translation stack for it.

News Comments > Qtracker Offers GameSpy Alternative
3. Re: Qtracker Offers GameSpy Alternative May 21, 2014, 21:34 ViRGE

DangerDog wrote on May 21, 2014, 20:54:
I thought EA shut down the master server for most of these games.
That was Gamespy. Which is what Qtracker is emulating.

News Comments > ZeniMax Sues Oculus
1. Re: ZeniMax Sues Oculus May 21, 2014, 20:36 ViRGE

If there was any doubt that Zenimax really just wants some of that sweet, sweet Facebook money...

No doubt this will eventually be settled out of court, as that will be cheaper than fighting it.

News Comments > Space Hulk Adds Co-op Mode
3. Re: Space Hulk Adds Co-op Mode May 20, 2014, 21:35 ViRGE

Darks wrote on May 20, 2014, 20:07:
What a load of bullshit, You have to play a human as the opposing player and you cant play against the AI. THIS IS NOT COOP!!!

Edit: Okay, so Iím being told that AI takes over the Enemy spot if you have three human players in the game they are saying that it does not show AI. But AI does in fact take that spot over. I guess Iíll find out when I get a chance to play with others.
That's weird. So 3 players can play against the AI, but not 2?

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Preloads
7. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Preloads May 20, 2014, 00:16 ViRGE

SirKnight wrote on May 19, 2014, 22:43:
ViRGE wrote on May 19, 2014, 22:39:
To preload this game you have to pre-order it. And if you're pre-ordering this game you're a rube.

You should probably just go ahead and get out of gaming. It's obviously not your thing.
To be clear I'm not saying that this is going to be a bad game. I am saying that pre-ordering a game without at least reading a review is very dumb.

News Comments > Wolfenstein: The New Order Preloads
1. Re: Wolfenstein: The New Order Preloads May 19, 2014, 22:39 ViRGE

To preload this game you have to pre-order it. And if you're pre-ordering this game you're a rube.  

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale May 18, 2014, 04:30 ViRGE

Tom wrote on May 17, 2014, 19:36:
Holy smokes, they shipped 35GB of uncompressed audio??

That is just a mind-bogglingly epic engineering fail. Makes me wonder what other incredibly poor judgement calls they made in developing this game...

If they used any kind of sane audio codec, playing back the compressed audio would consume LESS computing capacity due to savings in memory bandwidth.
Ultimately they were concerned about the performance impact on dual-core machines. It's hard to say if they were wrong or not.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
4. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 17, 2014, 19:26 ViRGE

Fantaz wrote on May 17, 2014, 16:11:
isn't wololo.net a PS Vita hacking website? they're doing Ouya articles now?
The site is expanding. It's ultimately still Wololo's blog and is whatever he wants to write about, but they've been bringing on writers explicitly to increase coverage of other areas, morphing into a more generalized gaming site.

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale May 17, 2014, 19:24 ViRGE

Slick wrote on May 17, 2014, 18:46:
the uncompressed audio in titanfall isn't the issue. i wish that more games had uncompressed audio like the blu-rays of console games often have. it should still be an optional download, not forced, but having high quality audio IMO is never a bad thing.
Most console games use compressed audio, including the current-gen consoles. There's no reason not to compress; the overhead is minimal (especially since consoles get dedicated decoders), and the space savings are huge. Meanwhile no one is going to be able to tell the difference between a 256Kb AAC/OGG file an a raw PCM file, so uncompressed audio vs. smartly compressed audio is a massive waste. This is the same reason games don't ship uncompressed textures anymore.

Now to be fair it's possible to harm quality with compression. But outside of handheld games where they get a little too stingy on space, I can't immediately recall anyone who shipped a PC/console game with overcompressed audio.

1382 Comments. 70 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo