Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1636 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 11, 2015, 16:47 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 14:32:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 13:58:
You guys are some of the most jaded individuals. Before the KS campaign ended you were saying things like "they are not going to make it" and "they're 200k away from 600k. No way are they going to get that in 24 hours." After the campaign you now say "this smells like a scam."

I think this is one of the reasons why I no longer post as I used to. Most of you, not all, are toxic. I really don't want your jaded views to rub off on me.

Okay I've said all I need to say. I'll let you get back to your jaded discussion...

Don't get me wrong, I want these guys to succeed. And I hear you about our general pessimism on this site, but this goes beyond that. These guys are trending toward a pretty substantial failure, only going to make about 75% of their pretty modest goal, when suddenly over the last couple of days a massive influx of $5K and $10K donors pushes them over the top. You don't think there's anything strange or suspicious there? And I say that as someone that has never questioned the legitimacy of Star Citizen.
I agree with jdreyer here. I have nothing against Wingman or Descent - I'm a bit disappointed that it's an MP game, but so be it - so I'm happy for them that they'll get to make their game.

But just keeping an eye on the last few hours of the campaign, something feels wrong. When you crossed $600K a few hours beforehand and still ended up barely making it (by 0.3%), that's a bit odd.

That said I have no reason to believe it's due to Wingman & crew, rather I suspect (hope?) it was some deep-pocketed fans. But regardless, there was something decidedly non-organic about how this campaign came to an end. It's not like any other last-minute Kickstarter run-up before, not even exceptional cases like Star Citizen and PoE.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2015, 16:58.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
30. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 11, 2015, 01:15 ViRGE

nin wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 00:56:
deqer wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 00:53:
Sounds like there is a system in place, under the hood, that allows people to "donate while no one else is"

So, you have your two options:
1) Donate
2) Donate as reserve only.

And where exactly is this documented? Because I've backed 45 projects and never once been asked that.
No such system exists as far as I've ever seen. And ethically it would be highly questionable if it did, since such "reserve" donations create the illusion of there being more support for a project than really exists.

27. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 11, 2015, 00:25 ViRGE

nin wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 00:19:
ViRGE wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 23:31:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 21:32:
ViRGE wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 18:46:
They're too far away with less than 24 hours to go. They're not going to make it.

Shows how much you know about the way crowdfunding works. There's always a big push towards the end. Always.
I was keeping an eye on the last few hours. Something fishy was going on. A huge batch of pledges came in to get it over $600K, and then they started losing money as new pledges came in. It was like someone propped it up to get it over $600K, and then started reducing their pledge as other new pledges came in.

I mean we've seen crowdfunding pops before, but they made 20% of the required minimum in the last day, all to end at just %0.3 above the required minimum. It's all very unusual.

It does seem odd they scraped by with just $1700 past their initial goal.
I would say that just scraping by on its own is not all that odd. But when you crossed $600K a few hours beforehand and still ended up barely making it, that is what's odd.

25. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 10, 2015, 23:31 ViRGE

Kxmode wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 21:32:
ViRGE wrote on Apr 9, 2015, 18:46:
They're too far away with less than 24 hours to go. They're not going to make it.

Shows how much you know about the way crowdfunding works. There's always a big push towards the end. Always.
I was keeping an eye on the last few hours. Something fishy was going on. A huge batch of pledges came in to get it over $600K, and then they started losing money as new pledges came in. It was like someone propped it up to get it over $600K, and then started reducing their pledge as other new pledges came in.

I mean we've seen crowdfunding pops before, but they made 20% of the required minimum in the last day, all to end at just %0.3 above the required minimum. It's all very unusual.

1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Apr 9, 2015, 18:46 ViRGE

This comment was edited on Apr 10, 2015, 06:04.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Apr 7, 2015, 15:33 ViRGE

jdreyer wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 13:29:
I really don't understand what Koei is thinking by trying to preempt attempts at nudity mods. It's a game of scantily clad women fighting. There's a breast jiggle meter for chrissakes. It was going to happen no matter what they said, but asking people not to do it is just fanning the flames.
Presumably they are trying to maintain face as a moral and respectable game developer, if only so they don't get blamed. Someone writes nude mods? That's not Koei's fault, in fact they asked people not to do it.

News Comments > WoW Tokens Explained
14. Re: WoW Tokens Explained Apr 7, 2015, 15:30 ViRGE

Frijoles wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 11:59:
Darks wrote on Apr 7, 2015, 11:52:
Why would anyone spend 20 dollars to buy a token, when you can spend 15 dollars for 30 days of game time?

Because you want gold, not game time. Game time is the incentive to sell the gold.
Bingo. The game time is the medium of trade, not the end-goal itself.

Have money, want gold? Buy a token and sell it for gold.

Have gold, want game time? Spend your gold to buy a token off of someone who wants gold

It's basically a way to play for free, if you don't mind working for the equivalent of peon wages to rack up enough gold to buy a token.

News Comments > Amazon Crytek Deal?
3. Re: Amazon Crytek Deal? Apr 6, 2015, 21:56 ViRGE

Sepharo wrote on Apr 6, 2015, 21:35:
My only guess is that Amazon wants it for a VR project in its skunkworks.
That's my thought as well. This makes no sense from a high level perspective, as Crytek doesn't have something that Amazon needs for their standard retail business. So it must be for some kind of project to expand in to a new market.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 6, 2015, 18:28 ViRGE

I enjoyed MKDS on my DS, but I have no idea why you'd want to play it on the Wii U as opposed to MK8, or even MK64 for that matter.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
7. Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 4, 2015, 20:58 ViRGE

Ozmodan wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 19:41:
There are some idiots dumping thousands in the Game of War. I have been playing it for some time only throwing in some lunch money once in a great while. There are players that have 1000 times the power of the average player.

I would have to say it is probably the worst of the worst when it comes to pay-to-win.

Unless you have a few thousand laying around to dump in this game then expect to be owned all the time.
But. but. Kate Upton!

News Comments > The Talos Principle Serious DLC for Free
6. Re: The Talos Principle Serious DLC for Free Apr 4, 2015, 20:56 ViRGE

Ray Marden wrote on Apr 4, 2015, 14:04:
The most fun game I played last year? With ironic voiceover by Serious Sam? YES PLEASE!
I second the motion. This looks like fun.

News Comments > Sony Buys OnLive - Shutdown Planned
22. Re: Sony Buys OnLive - Shutdown Planned Apr 3, 2015, 19:50 ViRGE

killer_roach wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 14:11:
Blue wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 09:38:
That doesn't strike you as spin? Funny timing that they were bought just 30 days before planning an unrelated shutdown.

It was believed that OnLive was bleeding money, and all it would take would be a new round of VC funding to fall through for their situation to go from manageable to catastrophic. That can happen pretty fast, especially for a company who didn't appear that fundamentally sound.

When Sony bought Gaikai, I had questioned why they hadn't gone after OnLive instead - as it turns out, they turn around and snap them up later for a fraction of what they were likely worth at the time they bought Gaikai. Almost a buy one get one free sort of deal, at that point.
And this is the most important point. OnLive was going to have to shut down no matter what Sony did. They went bankrupt once and were going to do it again.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy Announced
8. Re: Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy Announced Apr 1, 2015, 02:39 ViRGE

This isn't the first 2D AC game - the DS and PSP games were 2D as well - but boy if they aren't just aping Prince of Persia at this point. It's PoP with more killing.  

News Comments > First Round of The International Tix Sell Quickly
1. Re: First Round of The International Tix Sell Quickly Mar 28, 2015, 02:55 ViRGE

Tried to get a ticket at 10pm this evening. They were effectively sold out in a minute.  

News Comments > The International Ticket Sales Tomorrow
3. Re: The International Ticket Sales Tomorrow Mar 27, 2015, 07:03 ViRGE

CrashTestDummy wrote on Mar 26, 2015, 21:06:
Was planning to go this year. But my wife is pregnant and due around the same time. Oh well, maybe next year.
I think the lesson from this is not to have unprotected sex 9 months before The International. I hope you learned a very valuable lesson there.

News Comments > Tropico 5 Supervillain DLC Released
1. Re: Tropico 5 Supervillain DLC Released Mar 27, 2015, 00:55 ViRGE

Supervillain, eh? It reminds me of Evil Genius, which was a very fun game.  

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
17. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 25, 2015, 22:31 ViRGE

Aero wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 20:35:
Using it as a rental service seems like an odd thing to do given you could just pirate games outright for about the same amount of effort and without having anyone hold on to your money in the mean time. I'm sure it would be done, but not by many people.
You could pirate the game, maybe get a virus, and probably get something that doesn't work quite as well as the real thing. Or you could "buy" it, get your enjoyment out of a properly functioning copy, and then get a refund. Abusing too lenient refund policies makes all the sense in the world.

But in any case, GoG seems to have their head on straight here, since you only get a refund if you haven't downloaded it.

News Comments > PC Exclusive Halo Online Revealed for Russia
9. Re: PC Exclusive Halo Online Revealed for Russia Mar 25, 2015, 17:04 ViRGE

DangerDog wrote on Mar 25, 2015, 15:50:
No market for the Xbox One in Russia?
No market for games you have to pay upfront for, especially with Russia's notorious piracy rates.

News Comments > Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna DLC This Spring
2. Re: Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna DLC This Spring Mar 25, 2015, 01:01 ViRGE

I have to admit I haven't finished the game due to time constraints, but it's definitely one of the more enjoyable games of 2014, so additional puzzles as DLC is fine by me.  

News Comments > WoW Tokens Near
12. Re: WoW Tokens Near Mar 24, 2015, 18:45 ViRGE

Moog wrote on Mar 24, 2015, 15:06:
With the restrictions they've built in that all you can do is auction it (for a Blizzard defined amount of gold) or use it, WTF are they costing more than a 30 day sub, which is $14.99?!!?!
It costs a bit more, but for token sellers it's the only way to legally buy gold, and for token buyers it's the only way to get a month of game time without paying actual cash.

1636 Comments. 82 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo