Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for None

Real Name None   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ViRGE
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 16, 2003, 17:42
Total Comments 1626 (Pro)
User ID 19707

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to "Hate"
3. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 29, 2015, 19:47 ViRGE

bobbyweenus wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 18:56:
It is pretty brutal there have been, what, four total Five Nights games released in a single calendar year?

At the same time, they're a decent price, people love them and you can't hate on the guy for finding success. It's just, in today's gaming world where more people are paying attention to predatory, anti-consumer practices in gaming, this stands out a bit and catches a lot of flak that the bigger companies deserve much more.
And this is exactly what I wanted to say. I'm happy for the developer that he's found so much success, but releasing 4 games in a year certainly warrants raising an eyebrow.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Minecraft Windows 10 Edition Beta Instructions
5. Re: Minecraft Windows 10 Edition Beta Instructions Jul 28, 2015, 22:25 ViRGE

Frode wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 18:23:
After clicking through a few levels worth of links to find a list of apparent differences between it and "regular" Minecraft, I can't see a single thing worthy of my interest. Actually, I can't see much difference at all. One point lists stuff that's been there for years (e.g. chicken, boats). Another "will arrive soon after launch."

The correct name for this seems to be "Minecraft, now available in Window store".
That's because it's the Pocket Edition for Windows 10. While it may not seem like a big deal from a graphical/feature perspective, it's a very big deal at a low level since this is all reimplemented in C++ instead of Java.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jul 28, 2015, 22:12 ViRGE

NKD wrote on Jul 28, 2015, 20:43:
In most Kickstarter/crowdfunding failures there isn't going to be recoverable money.
Exactly. Pay up with what? They failed because they used up all of their funds attempting to deliver the product int he first place.

News Comments > Steam Security Hole Closed
6. Re: Steam Security Hole Closed Jul 27, 2015, 09:42 ViRGE

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 09:01:
This is why you should always use Steam Guard. I'm surprised that so-called 'pros' wouldn't protect their accounts.
It's interesting that Steam Guard would have made a difference. It's just another code system. I wouldn't expect it to even come into play when resetting a password, since the reset code is functionally the same thing.

News Comments > Hi-Rez Unveiling New Game at Gamescom
8. Re: Hi-Rez Unveiling New Game at Gamescom Jul 25, 2015, 06:41 ViRGE

yuastnav wrote on Jul 25, 2015, 05:16:
Hey Hi-Rez, how about this? How about you fix Tribes Ascend? No?
Well fuck you too then.
Ascend was done for the moment they released the last of the DLC (most of which they had created in advance).

News Comments > Hi-Rez Unveiling New Game at Gamescom
6. Re: Hi-Rez Unveiling New Game at Gamescom Jul 24, 2015, 21:57 ViRGE

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 14:38:
Would a Starsiege: Tribes remake be too much to hope for?
Yes. And you shouldn't even ask for it. Because if they did remake it, it would be nothing like the Tribes 1 we remember and love.

News Comments > Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox
11. Re: Gears of War Ultimate on PC After Xbox Jul 22, 2015, 18:13 ViRGE

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 13:33:
DX12 is a massive FUCK YOU to PC gamers. Microsoft had all but abandoned DX to focus on consoles, when AMD brought out Mantle and offered low-level access to the hardware. It was only when it realised it might lose its dominance over PC gaming that Microsoft started work on DX12 and designed it around the XB1, which was losing out massively to the PS4. In typical Microsoft style it decided to make DX12 a Windows 10 exclusive.
You do realize that DX12 has been in development for a few years, right? It's not as if MS suddenly started work on it in September of 2013 after AMD announced Mantle.

And there's good reason to make it Win10 exclusive. It goes hand-in-hand with a bunch of changes at the DXGI/driver level in order to support the API, involving everything from how command buffers are processed to how thread scheduling works. This is the biggest change to the Windows graphics layer since Vista, and these kinds of changes couldn't be fully back-ported to Windows 8, let alone Windows 7.

News Comments > TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT Launch Issues
2. Re: TEMBO THE BADASS ELEPHANT Launch Issues Jul 22, 2015, 07:12 ViRGE

Has anyone played Tembo yet? I'm curious how it is. We don't get many professionally developed 2D platformers on the PC.  

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 19, 2015, 22:14 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 20:19:
One thing irking me about 10 is all this new evasiveness on what upgrades, support, lifetime mean, yet another article that contradicts things mentioned in the past. If I can't clearly see, if your audience have different takes on what this all means, I have to assume you are trying to pull a fast one at some level.

Lifetime now equals at least 10 years
The Lifecycle policy serves to set a public, well established minimum on support, so that customers know what to expect. Windows 10 could go on for quite a while longer (especially depending on how MS defines new versions of Windows), but this sets a mimimum window so that even if MS changes their plans in he future, they are still committed to the standard 10 years of support.

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
34. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 19, 2015, 22:09 ViRGE

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 19:52:
I got nothin' but a gut feeling about it, but it seems to me that EA is distancing itself from Origin as its primary sales platform recently. I half expect that we'll start seeing EA games back on Steam and GOG sooner rather than later.
That would surprise me. I really don't think they've lost any sales from Origin. Certainly not enough to negate any gains from not having to pay Valve anything.

EA is a very well known publisher, and their games as well known too. If you want an EA game on the PC, you know exactly where to go to get it already.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2015, 18:20 ViRGE

DrSquick wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 15:42:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 14:14:
Apple To Axe Major Component In iPhone 7.

The walled garden?

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

SIM cards if anyone wants to avoid the click bait title. It will be a hard wired internal SIM card so you can't change carriers.
Eh? It's the other way around. It's so you can easily change carriers without having to go hunt down a SIM.

News Comments > Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts
24. Re: Origin Accounts Becoming EA Accounts Jul 19, 2015, 17:43 ViRGE

Ant wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 13:08:
What happens to previous EA accounts with the same e-mail addresses?
I don't think there are any other accounts, are there? There's just Origin accounts as far as I'm aware.

Slick wrote on Jul 19, 2015, 17:17:
now they're going back to EA whatever... why?
Maybe they're getting away from selling 3rd party software? At one time they wanted to be a Steam competitor, but this certainly makes it sound like they want to go completely vertical now.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jul 18, 2015, 17:40 ViRGE

The more I think about it, the more I think The Framerate Police is a good idea dogged by a poor implementation. The idea of presenting framerate information is sound, but TFP ends up being a scarlet letter that's scaring devs and causing the Master Race zealots to wield it as a weapon. TB isn't intending to be judgmental with it, but since the only options using the curation system are a warning (negative) or seal of approval (positive), it can't really stay neutral.

Ideally this information needs to be in the technical specs, for as many games as possible. Otherwise I fear the current system is going to cause as many problems as it solves. It's a good way to make a point, but in the long run it's a poor way to truly convey information in a neutral manner.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 14:47:
If this is something all developers do, all the better.. the problem is even worse though with "Locked FOV" which is ALSO a banned tag on steam.
The thing about tags is that Valve clearly intended them to convey genre/gameplay information, not technical information. Which is why any technical tags are getting banned. It would be nice to have more technical information, but I understand why Valve wants to keep it so narrowly focused.

News Comments > What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die
9. Re: What The Flock? Multiplayer Game Will End When Enough Players Die Jul 16, 2015, 20:39 ViRGE

Slick wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 20:10:
now flame on my pretties, flame on and tell me that this isn't the way online MP works.
You'll get no argument that you need lots of players to have a vibrant MP community.

But Vogelsap isn't pulling the plug based on the number of people playing. They're pulling the plug based on when a certain number of people die. At least as far as I understand it, you can have a ton of people playing the game and still reach "the end" because enough people have died.

News Comments > No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall?
6. Re: No PC Batman: Arkham Knight Until Fall? Jul 16, 2015, 10:17 ViRGE

Keep in mind that if WB wants to do a new pressing so that retail buyers without fast internet connections can still play, then it will take nearly a month to get new discs pressed and boxed.  

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
24. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 14, 2015, 21:04 ViRGE

harlock wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 20:54:
What fucking BONEHEAD at cig thinks that refunding dsmarts money will actually make him shut up, or change direction AT ALL??? these dumbasses are playing right into each others hands, he's only getting more publicity, more people to look at how shitty his games are and how much of a psuedo-psychotic moron he is... and cig pouting and taking their ball home, crying about "sinister" intentions and so forth, saying "btw, no refunds we have your money, thanks"
I don't believe there's anything sinister here, but it does seem like it was a poorly thought out idea. Smart is one of their biggest detractors, and now they just silenced him rather than fully addressing his concerns. It looks bad.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC
40. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 18:23 ViRGE

Slick wrote on Jul 14, 2015, 13:37:
i'll never understand the "thrill" of fighting against bots. unless you have no internet connection...

[...]

Playing against bots in a big fps game like battlefield/battlefront (40 man servers is still big, don't get your panties in a twist, 32-48 man BF servers are always the sweet spot) is like swimming against a pack of quadropleds. it doesn't really offer any satisfaction in the victory.
Think of it as playing Super Mario Bros. You're not playing against another person, but there are enemies and you defeat them as part of the gameplay. Sometimes you just want to stomp on a Goomba... with a flak cannon. It's not the same thing and I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, but it's still its own kind of enjoyable experience.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 13, 2015, 08:27 ViRGE

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 20:34:
Frijoles wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 19:58:
Vio wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 19:40:
How exactly are they going to make money when everyone is on windows 10...

Businesses still have to pay a shitload for the upgrade and support.

That could be true, so in their hearts they are just going to have business pay everyone's way where in the past everyone paid their way? Why only have the business dollars when you could have home user dollars as well? I like the thought of that, not so sure that is what will happen.
You're forgetting that people still need to buy new computers, new tablets, and new phones as their existing devices get outmoded. This is how Microsoft has made their money from consumers in the past, and it will continue to be so in the future. It's not like OEMs are getting free full install copies of Windows 10.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 12, 2015, 18:38 ViRGE

DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2015, 17:47:
They keep talking about "Windows as a service" which sounds like they'll eventually charge a monthly fee to use it just like they have with xbox live.
WaaS is the development/release model, not the payment model. What it means is that rather than releasing new versions in a monolithic manner every 3-4 years, Windows will receive a constant stream of updates.

This works because what isn't changing is that people are still buying a new copy of Windows with every computer, so other than losing out on some marginal upgrade income, WaaS doesn't cost Microsoft anything (and it's a lot better than the alternative of losing tablets and phones entirely).

News Comments > The Escapists The Walking Dead Announced
6. Re: The Escapists The Walking Dead Announced Jul 9, 2015, 08:48 ViRGE

And the video has been removed.

Edit: Beaten

1626 Comments. 82 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo