Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Clancy

Real Name Clancy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Clancy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 15, 2003, 00:19
Total Comments 52 (Suspect)
User ID 19691

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallouts Returning to Steam
7. Re: Fallouts Returning to Steam Jan 3, 2014, 14:17 Clancy

Yeah, they had to add DRM back in from the GOG versions...that is the real reason why they needed to "update".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SteamOS Beta Released
9. Re: SteamOS Beta Released Dec 14, 2013, 13:31 Clancy

DrEvil wrote on Dec 14, 2013, 01:58:
SirKnight wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 21:57:
Looks like it's finally time to partition my Xubuntu drive in half (1TB) to make room for SteamOS.

You can't do that; the installer (regardless of whether you pick expert mode) WILL ERASE YOUR ENTIRE HARD DRIVE.
Ouch!
Do they even tell you this, or does it just go and do its thing ?

News Comments > Valve: Steam Offline Mode "Designed to be Indefinite"
26. Re: Valve: Steam Offline Mode Nov 2, 2013, 01:13 Clancy

wtf_man wrote on Nov 1, 2013, 20:43:
Well... I'll believe it when I see the fix.

In the meantime, having to logon every 30 days or so, still pisses me off.
30 days? Your lucky.
It happens every 10 days or so for me, and yes, I report it, and they throw back a canned response with worthless "trouble shooting".
Nothing in my system changes, except driver updates, and OS patches.

News Comments > 100 More Steam Greenlights
1. Re: 100 More Steam Greenlights Oct 29, 2013, 17:45 Clancy

Yeah! We are now looking forward to more unfinished games being shoveled onto steam.

Makes for a great steaming pile of ...

News Comments > New AMD WHQL & Beta Drivers
3. Re: New AMD WHQL & Beta Drivers Sep 19, 2013, 14:24 Clancy

Bah, those idiots dropped support for Vista and I still have a few machines that use that OS. Vista basically supports everything that win 7 has (same DX version), so no real reason to pay $$ to "upgrade" them.

News Comments > Désilets Sues Ubisoft
7. Re: Désilets Sues Ubisoft Jun 8, 2013, 19:05 Clancy

Cutter wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 18:22:
Grifter wrote on Jun 8, 2013, 17:43:
actually this guy might have a case. If I am not mistaken this guy left ubisoft to make the game 1666 and THQ was his publisher. When THQ went belly up Ubisoft bought the publishing rights and from the way it looks pulled the plug on his game soon after they gained the publishing rights.

Yes, but as someone else mentioned a few days back on this - can't recall who, might have been Dev or Parralax - this is cute move on Ubisoft's part because they haven't cancelled the game, only suspended it - indefinitely - so it's not technically not a breach of contract. I suppose it comes down to the actual specifics of the contract. But, as these these things aren't undertaken lightly he obviously feels he has a strong enough case to take action on it.
I thought all contracts were null & void once THQ went into bankruptcy?
So.. no, they won't win.

News Comments > Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges
32. Re: Homeworld IP Sold; Kickstarter Refunding Pledges Apr 19, 2013, 17:35 Clancy

ViRGE wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 10:19:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 19, 2013, 10:13:
So how can we NOT know who owns the IP? If anything the one who bought it should blast the fanfares and hype us "We will do Homeworld 3" .. but this? This is just weird. No info at all?
Who would even pay more than $50K for Homeworld? Sure it was an interesting series, but having been dead for a decade there's not much value to it right now.
First off, it wasn't $50K, *if* you believe the kickstarter for homeworld. They said they had additional funding. I am guessing it went for $100K minimum.

I am sure that once the court documents are released, we will see who got what, but I have no idea how long that takes.

The game was nice, but, you can make the same type of game cheaper than it would have been to purchase the name, which is why that kickstarter campaign seemed to be really shady.
At least everyone is getting refunds.

News Comments > Origin Vulnerable to Remote Execution
16. Re: Origin Vulnerable to Remote Execution Mar 19, 2013, 17:52 Clancy

Yeah, pretty much the same issue steam had.

All these clients need to operate in a sand box, and not touch anything else.

News Comments > Final Defiance Beta Event Next Week
3. Re: Final Defiance Beta Event Next Week Mar 14, 2013, 17:37 Clancy

It needs another month (or more) of work... but, I guess they must push it through before the series airs.

News Comments > Dead Space 4 Cancelled?
40. Re: Dead Space 4 Cancelled? Mar 5, 2013, 13:10 Clancy

They updated:

UPDATE: Dino Ignacio, UI Lead at Dead Space developer Visceral Games, has denied today's story about the end of the Dead Space series.

"The reports of our death were greatly exaggerated," he tweeted. "Please stand by."

Ian Milham, creative director at EA and ex-art director on Dead Space, also took to Twitter to deny the story.

"Almost nothing in that article is true," he wrote. Then, in response to a question on Twitter: "I confirm nothing except the hooey in that story."

EA's US PR team has reportedly called the VideoGamer.com report "patently false".

"While we have not announced sales for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and the franchise remains an important IP to EA," an EA spokesperson told Eurogamer.

News Comments > Linux Postal 2 Released
3. Re: Linux Postal 2 Released Jan 26, 2013, 13:34 Clancy

Linux don't need more crappy games, they need the big guns to come along.

Batman, Prototype, and so on.
Then, they will have a chance.

News Comments > Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP
20. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 19:54 Clancy

Panickd wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:30:
Clancy wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 15:22:
Do they not know that Relic already released the source code to Homeworld? What is missing is a clear license for the said source code. Would also be cool if THQ just released the whole thing as freeware.

A source code release doesn't include the game assets and even though it's been out for 9 years now no one has done anything at all with the code short of a halfway Linux SDL port. And at this point I don't think THQ is in a position to give away anything their creditors think they can sell for even a few bucks.
True, but, nobody can do anything with the source, since the license don't allow it. Heck, the license they used pretty much made it so nobody can use it for anything, except personal use.
Anything else is breaking the terms of the license, which means, it can't be included in any linux distros, even if all the assets were redone.

That is why people have been trying for years to fix it, but THQ never did respond back, so everything is in limbo.

News Comments > Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP
15. Re: Indie Dev Seeks Homeworld IP Jan 24, 2013, 15:22 Clancy

Dev wrote on Jan 24, 2013, 11:51:
It offers a money back guarantee if they can't get the IP. $50k goal seems a little low, but what do I know about bankruptcy and auctions.

Says that the THQ auction is in multiple rounds, and one of the next ones will sell off additional assets such as homeworld.

Anyone ever heard of this Rob Santos?

Edit:
Hmm, looking over it closer, they won't even give out the homeworld 3 game to contributers unless they get $750k, which seems kinda high. They plan to release original series for free though if they hit $100k.
Not exactly encouraging me to donate here.
They'd have been better off if they SOLD the original series for a very low amount, and gave free copies to donors on this campaign.

Do they not know that Relic already released the source code to Homeworld? What is missing is a clear license for the said source code. Would also be cool if THQ just released the whole thing as freeware.

News Comments > Halo 2 PC Server Shutdown Next Month
14. Re: Halo 2 PC Server Shutdown Next Month Jan 17, 2013, 13:51 Clancy

"We love you, Halo 2 PC, and you will live forever in our hearts"

What they really meant to say is:
"Pa, take them out to the back and put them out of their misery!"

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore This Weekend
13. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 4, 2013, 17:33 Clancy

fawker wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 15:38:
Encore? Hmm, sales a little flat from all the lackluster repeating offers?
You can say that again. Amazon and other places had games cheaper than steam almost all the time.
Way too many repeats with higher prices on steam.

News Comments > RAGE DLC Next Week
24. Re: RAGE DLC Next Week Dec 15, 2012, 02:14 Clancy

John wrote on Dec 14, 2012, 22:33:
How 'bout a free DLC that gives the game a better ending? I liked RAGE for the most part, but the ending sucked IMO. There was no kind of final battle or anything and the closing video was really short and uninspiring..
What ending? They ran out of time, and they released a unfinished game.
Now, they want $$$ for this ?

pass.

News Comments > New AMD Beta Drivers
3. Re: New AMD Beta Drivers Dec 4, 2012, 16:36 Clancy

I am shocked, these are actually pretty good...

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale
35. Re: Steam Autumn Sale Nov 22, 2012, 14:38 Clancy

Just what is so good about steam's sales ?
Not much.
Amazon has many of the titles that steam has for much, much cheaper.
Like they recently had Prototype 1, 2 & DLC for $8. Steam's "sale" for prototype 2 is $20. (And yes, most games are steamable)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328579
Is the site to check for who has best sales.

News Comments > Free Far Cry 3 with SSD Offer
4. Re: Free Far Cry 3 with SSD Offer Nov 19, 2012, 13:12 Clancy

TLC NAND isn't the real problem. The problem is there is a big problem with 840's bricking themselves.

All anand's units died on him, and also 4 out of 4 died according to a thread at Hardocp.

News Comments > Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1?
27. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 13:42 Clancy

Jerykk wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:37:
I expect DX11.1 will suffer the same fate as DX10.1. No developers will actually use it.

Maybe now they will all start to switch to openGL, that doesn't have such limitations, and you can use the latest openGL features all the way back to XP, assuming the drivers / hardware support it.

52 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo