Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for rocketpcguy

Real Name rocketpcguy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname rocketpcguy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 12, 2003, 11:04
Total Comments 339 (Amateur)
User ID 19673

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Microsoft wins FAT patent case. Jan 11, 2006, 13:27 rocketpcguy

if linux/bsd gets its fat code stripped, then how can i (legally) view my workmates/friends floppy or usb disk? do i throw away my own usbdisk? (if i format it with resierfs/ext3, i cannot use it at work or at cybercafes)

why is the law forcing us to use non Free software?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Microsoft wins FAT patent case. Jan 11, 2006, 11:01 rocketpcguy

this news is deadly serious, i cant believe its the last in the list.

in addition to all the storage companies needing to pay royalty fees, this will halt the distribution of linux/bsd until the vfat code is removed. vfat was the ONLY way to safely share a local partition between windows and linux/bsd.

its such a stupidly obvious idea. its amazing that the prior art given by the foss team was ignored.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: explorer destroyer Dec 2, 2005, 00:15 rocketpcguy

who wants to use a product that endorses such draconian measures as blocking sites

what? mozilla wasnt responsible. just some external fanboys.

and try out firefox extentions like adblock.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Acrobat Sep 26, 2005, 09:17 rocketpcguy

the links says the windows port only has non X utilites. i.e. no GUI

anyway, in linux, i find kghostview to be more featurefull

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. freeze dry? Sep 3, 2005, 02:32 rocketpcguy

i never needed to restart my linux boxes for patches (except for the rare kernel upgrade, but you can avoid restarting that too with kern-patches)

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Gotta love MS's spin on this stuff Aug 28, 2005, 09:10 rocketpcguy

what the...? "non issue"

It can be used to hide malicious programs on a system that would go undetected by security software or registry scanning tools

how would you feel if you had dozens of spyware and viruses, and your anti-X programs just ignores them?

this is a major flaw, i have no idea why you can say otherwise DDI, unless you work for MS.

6. Re: patents are business Aug 1, 2005, 08:54 rocketpcguy

MS did atttempt to sue every company using the fat32 filesystem (used in cameras and disks), and linux companies as well which supported this filesystem, unless they paid fees.
* 5,579,517: "Common name space for long and short filenames"
* 5,745,902: "Method and system for accessing a file using file names having different file name formats"
* 5,758,352: "Common name space for long and short filenames"
* 6,286,013: "Method and system for providing a common name space for long and short file names in an operating system"

"Companies that wanted to continue using FAT and avoid the license fees could do so by taking out the VFAT system driver and forcing customers to come up with eight-letter filenames."

Luckily, thanks to open source advocate efforts, the patents got re-examined, and finally discarded (rejected).

don't forget the recent patent on "cusomized emoticons". how obvious is that?

how about the "email addresses as objects" patent designed to remove open source competitors?
http://demarzo.net/archive/2005/05/19/376.aspx

and the MS patent for command line macros (hopefully to be invalidated because of prior art, but until then no one can use this)
1. A method for processing input from a command line interface, wherein the input comprises a macro, the method comprising: replacing the macro with a command; and, executing the command.

2. The method of claim 1, further comprising prompting a user to identify the command that is to replace the macro, wherein the replacing step further comprises replacing the macro with the entered command.

3. The method of claim 1, further comprising: prompting a user to identify a function that is to be used to generate a command to replace the macro; and calling the identified function to generate the command, wherein the replacing step further comprises replacing the macro with the generated command.

4. The method of claim 1, further comprising calling a script engine to generate script to replace the macro.

if you want to teach your employees to recognize music, too bad. miscrosoft patent #6,913,466: "System and methods for training a trainee to classify fundamental properties of media entities "

consider the world VERY lucky that the companies that hold patents for absolutely obvious things aren't using people, but maybe they will when more people uses it.
http://webshop.ffii.org/

patents just aren't taken seriously by the current system. in fact, the GIF patent (or more precisely, the absolutely obvious LZW compressing math algorithm used in GIF and other formats) has been patented TWICE by two different companies.

i'm not solely blaming MS for the patent mess. in fact, MS itself has been sued over several patents:
- patent on programs embedded in web pages, in particular plugins and activeX, by Eolas Technology. patent #5,838,906, "a system allowing a user of a browser program ... to access and execute an embedded program object."

- patent on JPEG algorithms, by Forgent Networks.

- patent on a "software which lets users move data between Excel to Access via a spreadsheet." by Carlos Armando

- patent on web-updates by BTG

the problem you "patents rule!" people need to grasp is that patents allow you to grab IDEAS, not just implementations. and just how do you expect a developer to sift through millions of patents to see if someone else thought of it?

News Comments > New ForceWare Beta
7. Re: new drivers Jul 21, 2005, 02:52 rocketpcguy

dont forget to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones, people keep forgeting that

News Comments > etc.
12. one reason Jul 17, 2005, 03:12 rocketpcguy

she doesnt like the gta scenes because thats exactly her imagination of what her husband had with someone else.

3. Reminding Customers Patented by Amazon. Jul 14, 2005, 12:44 rocketpcguy

patents are getting out of hand!

5. Australia's 'e-tax' Windows Only. Jul 11, 2005, 03:14 rocketpcguy

damn it, i really thought it was a tax for computers, but only if you used windows!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Broken link? Jun 30, 2005, 05:33 rocketpcguy

The AnandTech article links to a search page

well, its about time you do a bit of work. i dont know what it is with young people nowadays, expecting everything to be spoon fed!

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 05:37.

News Comments > BF2 Linux Server Issue?
25. programming error Jun 23, 2005, 15:06 rocketpcguy

it must be a problem with the programming then, if the linux server crashes.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
2. Re: icculus Jun 13, 2005, 11:01 rocketpcguy

i second that

News Comments > Battlefield 2 Demo Dedicated Win32 Server
2. Re: Linux server Jun 11, 2005, 11:44 rocketpcguy

linux server next week? its quite a long time! we're treated as secondclass people! oh well....

2. New nVidia GPU Linux drivers. Jun 3, 2005, 15:25 rocketpcguy

-"Added initial support for Xinerama + OpenGL; see APPENDIX X in the text README."

cool!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Names Apr 29, 2005, 03:34 rocketpcguy

appless macs caused mcdonalds Big Macs to be harder to find. SUE!!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. link of the day message Apr 25, 2005, 13:52 rocketpcguy

"Ask not what your Links can do for you...!"
"The Legend of Blue, Links Revenge!"
"Links... the final frontier!"
"Sex and Links and Rock-and-Roll!"
"Let loose the links of war!"
"It's a link thing, you wouldn't understand!"

how long can you keep up with this? youll have to stop after you run out.

News Comments > New ATI Drivers
9. doesnt work right! Feb 10, 2005, 06:08 rocketpcguy

weird problems, but im rolling back.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
100. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2005, 03:43 rocketpcguy

i don't see how anyone can bash dubai, ever seen that place? and they certainly don't hate the west, in fact there are a LOT of us living there.

'dubai' sounds like some fanatic village, but its really amazing and safe.

339 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo