Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rob Seace

Real Name Rob Seace   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Agrajag
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Ugh...
Homepage http://www.magrathea.com/~ras/
Signed On Jan 12, 2000, 11:57
Total Comments 185 (Novice)
User ID 1965

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Czech Republic vs. Chechnya Apr 22, 2013, 06:16 Agrajag

I'm reminded of the "Pine barrens" episode of "The Sopranos"...

Tony: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!

Paulie: Get the fuck outta here.

Tony: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

Paulie: I hear you.

[hangs up]

Paulie: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
19. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 26, 2013, 06:36 Agrajag

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 14:08:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 10:41:
I bet we all got troves of video games... Explain why we haven't gone off the deep end? Discuss.

There are just a lot of things a killer does, that the rest of us do to.

Goes for potential killers too. 1 % of the human population are psychopathic, but there aren't 3 million serial killers running around.

Most of them just become CEOs...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 24, 2013, 07:07 Agrajag

Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:54:
ANYWAY back in reality, seems to me that that this kid in NM problems were based on a werido, strict religious family, not video games.

I'd like to see the general reaction if a member of Congress pushed a bill requiring warning labels on all religious books and teachings, and banning children under 17 from being exposed to anything deemed overly violent or obscene... Sure, it'd be unconstitutional; but, no more so than the bill here aimed at video games!

News Comments > More on Steam Hardware
9. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 9, 2013, 06:36 Agrajag

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 21:53:
entice a lot of big developers to step into the nightmare that is high-end gaming on Linux

The only actual "nightmare" is dealing with the different distros, each with their own different set of preinstalled libraries and supporting software, and trying to just work out of the box on all of them... But, if you pick a single target with known software, like presumably this Steam box will have, there's no real problems... Do Android developers have a "nightmare" getting their games running? That's Linux underneath, too...

News Comments > Perspective Released
3. Re: Perspective Released Dec 13, 2012, 06:26 Agrajag

Sounds much like Fez, which was fun but frustrating in parts...  

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle
28. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 30, 2012, 06:28 Agrajag

Damn, I got my hopes up for a minute that they had Linux ports of all those games available... Now, I'm a sad panda... I hope this doesn't signal a trend of HIB moving away from cross-platform games...  

News Comments > Steam Linux Plans
53. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 19:45 Agrajag

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 18:45:
GUIs have their uses, I don't dispute that.

Yes, mainly for running a bunch of simultaneous xterms... ;-)

45. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 18:19 Agrajag

ChaosEngine wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 17:57:
Windows might be a "highly unsatisfying experience" for some, but for most people, it is the tool that gets the job done with the least amount of pain.

I think for most people, it's more the case that it's the only tool they even know exists... Or, it's the tool they were handed, and they don't have the desire or knowledge necessary to go looking for a more appropriate one...

44. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 18:16 Agrajag

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 17:33:
again, Unix is hard to learn but very easy to use.

The quote I've always liked is:

"Unix is a user-friendly operating system. It's just picky with whom it chooses to be friends." - Ken Thompson

36. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 16:17 Agrajag

Boston wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:57:
C programmer here as well. Honestly, it's not THAT bad on Windows. It's just the matter of installing the right tools (cygwin/mingw/gvim/whathaveyou).

Like I said, there are Windows ports of the good Unix/Linux software, but the post I was responding to claimed that MS's own native alternatives were superior to those... That's what I disagree with...

And Visual C++ isn't too bad either - most of C99 features you can already use under C++ mode and I can live with that (unless you need to cross compile).

No, C++ doesn't do some really useful plain C features... Like auto-cast void* for you... Also, no compound literals, designated initializers, variable length arrays, flexible arrays in structs, stdint.h, long long, variable argument macros, etc... I'm not sure how many of those have made it into C++11; I don't keep up with C++ at all... But, the void* one is what always gets me anytime I've tried writing C++ code in the past... "You want me to cast the return value from fucking malloc()?! Screw you, brain-dead compiler, that's your fucking job!"

29. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 14:10 Agrajag

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 13:40:
It doesn't support most productivity applications - from Adobe's Creative Suite to DAW software like Cubase or Protools.

Meh, one man's "productivity software" is another man's "useless garbage"... ;-)

It supports office apps and programming but those are achievable via web browsers anyway and the Windows alternatives - like Office - are better than the Linux offerings.

I would very much disagree in regards to the programming, at least... I write plain C code all day, and I'd kill myself if I had to do it in Windows... Mainly because I really couldn't unless I wanted to live in the ancient past of old-school ANSI C, since last I heard MS still doesn't support C99 and has no plans to support C11... They seem totally focused on C++ only... Plus, I can't live without vim! (Yes, I'm sure there's a port and of gcc, too... But, you were talking about MS's own native offerings being superior here...)

But if that's the case then you might as well just use Chrome OS and do away with the rest of the operating system altogether - just have the web browser.

Sure, and I might've gotten her a ChromeBook if they had been around at the time she got her most recent machine... But, guess what ChromeOS really is underneath? Linux... So is Android... There are your mainstream user-friendly Linux distros right there!

25. Re: RE: Follow up Jul 17, 2012, 09:20 Agrajag

Verno wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 08:44:
It doesn't have a "poor user experience" either, you can build a completely idiot proof Linux box

Case in point: my technophobe grandmother's last 2 computers have been Linux netbooks... (First a EeePC, then a Dell, both pre-installed with Linux...) She manages to use them just fine... (Of course, pretty much the only 2 apps she ever uses are Firefox and OpenOffice, but that's all she has any need for, too...) She would not be any better off in the slightest way with a Windows computer instead... And, I don't need to worry about her accidentally downloading and running the latest Windows trojan of the day... (Go ahead, and try to get her to load an xterm and "chmod" your Linux trojan so she can run it!)

18. Re: Steam Linux Plans Jul 17, 2012, 06:32 Agrajag

finga wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 04:41:
Well, and nearly all game developers have to ditch DirectX and use OpenGL instead. This is not trivial. There's no "Build for Linux" button.

True, but if they're already releasing a MacOSX version, they're presumably already using OpenGL anyway, so doing a Linux port won't be much more effort...

News Comments > RAGE DLC Plans?
34. Re: RAGE DLC Plans? Jun 20, 2012, 06:42 Agrajag

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 11:48:
I must be the only one here who enjoyed the game. oh well. I didn't expect anything ground breaking or new, just a good game, which is what I got.

I liked the game a lot... I just hated that piss-poor excuse for an ending! And, the fact that you couldn't go back into the wasteland to just screw around after finishing the game... But, right up until that abrupt "Ok, that's it!" ending, I was enjoying the hell out of the game... I'll certainly check out any DLC they release...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 13, 2012, 06:39 Agrajag

"paedophile"? "paeodophile"? Those wacky Brits sure do love adding random extra vowels to words, don't they! Can they also spell it "paeioudophile"?  

News Comments > Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans
23. Re: Saints Row 3 Standalone Expansion Plans May 4, 2012, 06:50 Agrajag

PHJF wrote on May 3, 2012, 23:41:
Bottom line is if you like Saints Row 2, this is more of the same (only this time it isn't such a piss-poor port).

See, I personally didn't like SR2 at all, but yet I loved SR3! Maybe I just never gave SR2 a fair shot at the time, but I remember finding it boring and lame, and I hated the driving physics... I certainly never finished it... But, with SR3, I was hooked right from the start, and consistently had fun throughout...

News Comments > Questionable Kickstart Cancelled
38. Re: Questionable Kickstart Cancelled May 2, 2012, 07:04 Agrajag

Beamer wrote on May 1, 2012, 14:40:
There's no provision in kickstarter that says your product has to come out.

From the Kickstarter FAQs:

If you are unable to fulfill the promises made to backers, cannot complete the project as advertised, or decide to abandon the project for any reason, you are expected to cancel funding. A failure to do so could result in damage to your reputation or even legal action on behalf of your backers.

News Comments > Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month
33. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 09:43 Agrajag

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 09:29:
Wow. I played through the original on the 360, just to see if it could be done, and it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience...

*shrug* Not having played either one anywhere else, I have nothing to compare it with... But, I certainly enjoyed playing both Portal 1 and 2 on 360, and thought both were very pleasant experiences...

But, then I'm a weirdo who never got into gaming with the mouse even when I used to heavily play PC games... I was the crazy bastard still trying to play Quake using only the keyboard! (And, usually getting my ass handed to me, of course...) But, even though it's not nearly as accurate, I find gaming on a console controler far more natural and enjoyable... *shrug* I know, it's just me...

29. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 08:10 Agrajag

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 27, 2012, 07:51:
Well I didn't start Portal 2 after the first week either mainly because i played through it twice (100% secrets and everything) including coop and that was it. Nothing really life extending about the game, it was good while it lasted, but it has nearly 0 re-playability. Even new puzzles (few exceptions..) are always more of the same principles.

I guess, essentially this game idea is sucked dry now ;p

I disagree completely... If they did nothing but churn out new level packs regularly, I'd be in heaven, and would pay good money for them even! There's pretty much an infinite variety of puzzles you can create using "more of the same principles" we already know... And, for me, they never once got the slightest bit boring... Yes, after replaying the same levels over and over a few times, then it gets kind of boring certainly, since there's nothing left to solve (unless you've got a bad enough memory to have forgotten the solution by now!)... But, any new level that requires figuring out the new solution would be exciting to me, even if it only made use of the same old features from all the old levels...

26. Re: Free Portal 2 DLC Next Month Apr 27, 2012, 06:37 Agrajag

Dades wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 22:58:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 26, 2012, 21:46:
I don't like the first Portal more but that is one aspect I did enjoy more. Unless I'm misremembering Portal 2 didn't even have the "solve in least amount of portals" challenges did it? That was actually my favorite part of Portal 1.

There were no least amount of portals puzzles which was a shame.

Well, there weren't with the base game, no... However, that was one of the things added with the previous DLC (mostly consisting of new co-op levels): challenge mode, which has both least portals and least time challenges...

Also, any word on if this new DLC is coming to the consoles too?? I know I'll be burned as a heretic, but I played P2 on Xbox360, and I desperately want this DLC! (Though, what I really want is more official single-player levels...) (And, no, I can't just "get the PC version", because I don't have a Windows machine... My PC is a pretty old Linux box used solely for writing code for work... If Valve really comes through on Linux Steam and releases a Linux Portal 2, then fine, I'll rebuy it, and upgrade my hardware if needed then!)

185 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo