Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rob Seace

Real Name Rob Seace   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Agrajag
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Ugh...
Homepage http://www.magrathea.com/~ras/
Signed On Jan 12, 2000, 11:57
Total Comments 199 (Novice)
User ID 1965

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

News Comments > Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release
8. Re: Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release Dec 12, 2013, 18:02 Agrajag

Orogogus wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 16:54:
I'd always assumed this came from the original IBM PC, and PC was shorter than typing IBM when differentiating it from C64s or Apples or whatever.

Yeah, that presumably is the origin, but these days it's been corrupted to mean Windows in places like the above list of supported platforms... After all, these days a Mac is basically just a standard PC, and the only difference is the OS... But, they kept the old terminology from back when it made some sense to describe seperate architectures, and now misuse it where the architectures are all the same but the OS differs...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release
5. Re: Activision Blocking Linux Gabriel Knight Re-release Dec 12, 2013, 07:04 Agrajag

Does it count as irony that they'll allow it on Android (which is based on Linux), but not a traditional Linux distro? I guess it's not the Linux kernel they have an issue with, at least... Must be some of that commie GNU stuff!

(Oh, and saying "PC" to mean "Windows" really annoys me... My PC is just as much a PC, even though it's not running Windows!)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 12, 2013, 06:36 Agrajag

This is always celebrated on a Monday

What?? In previous years, the day I've had off for Veteran's Day has certainly fallen on various days of the week... It's always been the 11th off, unless that was on a weekend, in which case the nearest weekday off... Wikipedia seems to agree that it's alays on the 11th... Apparently, for a brief period from 1971 to 1978 it was on the 4th Monday of October, but other than that it's always been November 11th...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 11, 2013, 06:37 Agrajag

I have to imagine that the NSA wouldn't be quite that ham-fisted and incompetent if they really wanted to insert a backdoor into Linux... Despite what the article claims, that's not particularly clever or subtle; it's pretty glaring... Anyone who has written C for a while would notice that "=" in place of "==" pretty quickly... It's exactly the sort of thing you learn to look for early on, since it's such a common bug to make... After a while, such things just jump out at you...  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 1, 2013, 06:45 Agrajag

The incidence of psychopathy among CEOs is about 4 percent, four times what it is in the population at large...

(But, you don't need to be a full-blown psychopath to be an evil asshole, either... A lot of the others are just as evil, but maybe feel a little bad about it after...)

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
27. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 30, 2013, 08:48 Agrajag

Axis wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 07:53:
the purpose of single-payer -- Obama's ultimate goal.

Seems a strange way to reach that goal, but ok... I, for one, hope he gets there! Because, a sane single-payer system like every other first world country has would be far preferable...

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
22. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 30, 2013, 06:32 Agrajag

Axis wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 21:28:
The last time we let them 'rule' we got Obamacare, and even the totally hooked libs know what a mess it is and it hasn't even started.

You mean the plan formerly known as Romneycare? The plan that was dreamed up by the conservative think tank The Heritage Foundation? The plan that was championed by Republicans for years until a Democrat decided to coopt it? Yeah, it is kind of a mess, you're right... But, it's the best thing they could get done, and it's better than what we had (ie: nothing at all, fend for yourselves wild west style)... We've been living under it for years here in Massachusetts, and we haven't all died yet...

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
34. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 24, 2013, 06:59 Agrajag

Creston wrote on Sep 23, 2013, 13:08:
Franklin is always showing one mission more than he actually has. Anyone else have that too? I'm keeping the Lester Assassination missions until I have plenty of money to spend for Insider Trading, but most of the time he only has one other mission, and yet the game shows 3. I wonder if Chop counts as a mission or something.

At one point, I thought the same thing, but then I remembered I failed to respond to one of Tonya's texts about doing another tow truck mission, and that was the hidden 1 mission available for Franklin...

(Also, on one of those, after towing the car off the railroad tracks, I was baffled at what to do next, because the game provided no hints, so I was just driving around aimlessly, until I decided to drive back to the tracks, and THEN it said to wait for the driver to get in! I didn't even know the driver was still there!)

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Sep 3, 2013, 06:20 Agrajag

I thought "oriental" was only offensive when used to refer to a person... But, for instance, it was still fine to talk about "oriental rugs"... But, now even refering to "the orient" as a place is offensive? Geez... They do know it's basically just Latin for "the east", right??  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts - Saints Row IV "4th Biggest Launch of the Year"
10. Re: U.K. Sales Charts - Saints Row IV Aug 28, 2013, 07:02 Agrajag

Fion wrote on Aug 27, 2013, 17:24:
I was worried the super powers would make the game to easy but it doesn't really.

Nope, but what it DOES do is render cars (and other vehicles) obsolete... They've got all this cool car customization and upgrading and such carried over from 3, but I basically haven't used it at all since the first mission that required you to customize a car... That's the only car I have stored (aside from ones earned during other missions), and I've never bothered to drive it since... What's the point, when you can run up the side of a skyscraper, then leap off and glide across the city to your destination!

Not that I'm complaining... It's a hell of a lot more fun than driving through traffic! But, it does feel kind of weird not having to always be jacking cars and driving around everywhere...

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 15, 2013, 06:37 Agrajag

Umbragen wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 04:20:
They were made by Sky TV: Hogfather, The Colour of Magic and Going Postal. They're were quite well done too, I'm surprised none of them made it to American television.

They are released on DVD over here, at least... I stumbled across them on Amazon one day a while back, and snatched up all three... I can't wait for more!

But, RE the SR4 easter eggs: "Air Force One’s famous “Get off my plane!” gets switched. This time it’s “Get off my lawn!”"... Um, isn't "Get off my lawn!" more logically a "Gran Torino" reference?

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: realistic video game gun Jun 24, 2013, 06:14 Agrajag

Wow, that's the first article I've seen actually quote Jack Thompson in ages! It's nice that insane blowhard is getting some attention again...  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 6, 2013, 07:09 Agrajag

As long as you subscribe to Netflix already, I don't see any ethical problem... It's akin to downloading the cracked version of a game you legitimately bought in order to work around some stupid issue in the official version...

But, personally, I'm not grabbing them just because I have no interest... I liked the way they were presented already...

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. May 8, 2013, 06:34 Agrajag

Looks like a modern version of MindRover, which is one of my favorite games ever... And, they're releasing on Linux? I'm sold! I hope the Kickstarter is successful...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Czech Republic vs. Chechnya Apr 22, 2013, 06:16 Agrajag

I'm reminded of the "Pine barrens" episode of "The Sopranos"...

Tony: [over the phone] It's a bad connection so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed!

Paulie: Get the fuck outta here.

Tony: Yeah. Nice, huh? He was with the Interior Ministry. Guy's like a Russian green beret. He can not come back and tell this story. You understand?

Paulie: I hear you.

[hangs up]

Paulie: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
19. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 26, 2013, 06:36 Agrajag

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 14:08:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 25, 2013, 10:41:
I bet we all got troves of video games... Explain why we haven't gone off the deep end? Discuss.

There are just a lot of things a killer does, that the rest of us do to.

Goes for potential killers too. 1 % of the human population are psychopathic, but there aren't 3 million serial killers running around.

Most of them just become CEOs...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 24, 2013, 07:07 Agrajag

Cutter wrote on Jan 23, 2013, 16:54:
ANYWAY back in reality, seems to me that that this kid in NM problems were based on a werido, strict religious family, not video games.

I'd like to see the general reaction if a member of Congress pushed a bill requiring warning labels on all religious books and teachings, and banning children under 17 from being exposed to anything deemed overly violent or obscene... Sure, it'd be unconstitutional; but, no more so than the bill here aimed at video games!

News Comments > More on Steam Hardware
9. Re: More on Steam Hardware Jan 9, 2013, 06:36 Agrajag

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 21:53:
entice a lot of big developers to step into the nightmare that is high-end gaming on Linux

The only actual "nightmare" is dealing with the different distros, each with their own different set of preinstalled libraries and supporting software, and trying to just work out of the box on all of them... But, if you pick a single target with known software, like presumably this Steam box will have, there's no real problems... Do Android developers have a "nightmare" getting their games running? That's Linux underneath, too...

News Comments > Perspective Released
3. Re: Perspective Released Dec 13, 2012, 06:26 Agrajag

Sounds much like Fez, which was fun but frustrating in parts...  

News Comments > Humble THQ Bundle
28. Re: Humble THQ Bundle Nov 30, 2012, 06:28 Agrajag

Damn, I got my hopes up for a minute that they had Linux ports of all those games available... Now, I'm a sad panda... I hope this doesn't signal a trend of HIB moving away from cross-platform games...  

199 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo