Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rob Seace

Real Name Rob Seace   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Agrajag
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Ugh...
Homepage http://www.magrathea.com/~ras/
Signed On Jan 12, 2000, 11:57
Total Comments 215 (Novice)
User ID 1965

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

News Comments > Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders Released
1. Re: Agatha Christie - The ABC Murders Released Feb 5, 2016, 06:15 Agrajag

Though they don't mention it in the announcement, if you go to the Steam page for it, you'll see it's also available for Linux/SteamOS too...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Nov 19, 2015, 06:11 Agrajag

I was hoping for a remake of the old DOS Pyro games, where you burned down various famous buildings while finding an escape route...  

News Comments > Steam Hardware Launches
19. Re: Steam Hardware Launches Nov 11, 2015, 10:46 Agrajag

panbient wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 10:14:
So having said that, how well does the controller work for something like Civilization 5, a Total War title, or an old school RTS like Age of Empires 2? It seems most reviews I've found focused on using it to replace a traditional gamepad with a more multi-platform / console oriented title (like Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed).

Those aren't my style of games, so I haven't tried any of those you mentioned...

The first game I played through on it was Portal 2, because I already knew it like the back of my hand, so I figured it would be ideal for just getting used to the controller... And, it took a fair bit of getting used to... But, I also think they've improved both the firmware and the SteamOS software several times since then, because that was immediately after I got it, and it has installed about a dozen updates since then... But, even that early on, by the end of the game, I was quite comfortable with the controller... But, then, Portal 2 was one of the games retrofitted with specific built-in Steam controller support, too...

But, I've played various other games, some with gamepad support, some with only mouse and keyboard support, and it works fine in either, even if you sometimes need to tweak the control setup a bit... And, I actually prefer it when it's a mouse and keyboard game, since the gamepad games tend to assume a right stick, and the trackpad emulating a stick is just kinda weird... It at least requires thinking of it behaving very differently than a normal mouse-style trackpad... Like it matters how long you hold your finger in place in one spot, just as if you were holding a stick in that spot... It's really just switching back and forth between that and games where it behaves as a mouse/trackball that causes temporary confusion...

Another potential issue I read about in previews was access to the battery compartment saying that it felt like you were breaking the controller the first few times you had to open it. Have you dealt with that yet? Or has that been refined leading up to release?

Yeah, it did strike me as kind of weird when opening it up to insert the batteries... The whole back plate that forms the 2 backside buttons pops off, and it does feel almost like you're breaking it or could easily break those buttons... But, I think that's just misperception... The real buttons lie under the plate, and the plate is just one solid hunk of plastic that rocks against those buttons when in use... That said, I've only put in the initial set of batteries it came with; so far, the thing seems to go quite a long while on one set of batteries, which is nice...

12. Re: Steam Hardware Launches Nov 11, 2015, 07:42 Agrajag

Bub wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 06:52:
I think is is kinda funny and awkward, most Steam games are PC games, but the Steam machine locks them down to game controller twitchiness and limited input options.

Not sure what you're talking about here, but you can plug in any USB keyboard and mouse if you really wanted to use them instead of the controller... It's just a regular old PC in small form factor! You can even open it up and replace the hard drive, RAM, even CPU if you wanted... Not sure what you think is "locked down" or "limited"...

9. Re: Steam Hardware Launches Nov 11, 2015, 06:01 Agrajag

nin wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 21:24:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 21:03:
The controller doesn't look half bad, reviews of it seem mostly positive so far; I'll probably buy one eventually.

I really want one, but kinda broke right now. Maybe after xmas...

It certainly looks neat. I have a bookface friend with one, and his review was generally positive.

I got one of the early pre-order Alienware Steam Machines a month ago, so have been playing around with it for a while now... The controller took me a fair bit of getting used to, but once I did, damn it works well! Especially for games expecting a mouse... In ones expecting an Xbox controller, it can be kind of weird, with the right trackpad emulating a stick... But, I mostly got used to that, too... But, it's far more natural when it's replacing a mouse...

News Comments > DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games
12. Re: DMCA Changes for Abandoned Games Oct 28, 2015, 06:28 Agrajag

The Pyro wrote on Oct 27, 2015, 19:53:
Wait a minute... since when does the Library of Congress have legislative power? Sorry, too busy to RTFA

The Librarian of Congress can also announce any class of copyrighted works for which the Librarian has determined that certain noninfringing uses of those copyrighted works are, or are likely to be, adversely affected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's prohibition against circumventing technological access protections on the works. That class of works will then be exempt from liability under the DMCA, subject to the conditions of the Librarian's ruling, for the ensuing three-year period.

It's actually written into the DMCA that the Librarian has this power...

News Comments > New Steam User Record
12. Re: New Steam User Record Oct 20, 2015, 06:09 Agrajag

I wonder if the bump was related to the early release of Steam Machines to people who pre-ordered early enough... I know I played last weekend for the first time I'd ever have been counted in these stats on a new Alienware Steam Machine...  

News Comments > More QUAKEs & Wolfensteins on GOG.com
6. Re: More QUAKEs & Wolfensteins on GOG.com Oct 2, 2015, 06:07 Agrajag

It's bizarre that they don't offer Linux versions of these, given that not only were there official id-released Linux versions, but the code is actually open sourced and ported to just about every platform in existence... I want to like you, GOG, but you make it hard sometimes...  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 24, 2015, 06:19 Agrajag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 14:57:
What we have now 95 years or whatever is just stupid.

It's 95 for works-for-hire and anonymous works, but for the rest it's life of the author plus 70 years, which is even more insane... Not only does the author get to profit for life, but so do his heirs for 70 more years! Tell me how paying his grandkids inspires a dead guy to create more works? We've totally perverted the original intention of Copyright, which was to produce a robust Public Domain which was available to all to work with... Disney knows the usefulness of a robust PD, given that so many of their movies directly use old PD stories as their basis... But, they don't want to give back to the PD themselves; they just want to take, take, take, and keep all their stuff for themselves forever... So, every time the mouse is about to enter PD, they get Congress to give them another extension of copyright length... If they did it in a way that it only applied to them and Micky, I wouldn't care; but, as it is, it applies to everyone and everything, and it's totally destroying the Public Domain... It's a fucking travesty!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
16. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 23, 2015, 14:42 Agrajag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 14:20:
It's quite possible that some Republicans are in office due to voter fraud:

Given the gerrymandered districts, they don't usually need to resort to such overt fraud for Congressional elections... But, if they are rigging the voting machine results, it's kind of amusing that even with that they still weren't able to give Romney the win over Obama... Maybe that explains why Romney and everyone on Fox looked so damned surprised and confused when the final results came in!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
9. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 23, 2015, 06:18 Agrajag

jdreyer wrote on Sep 22, 2015, 23:43:
Tie your electoral fortunes to the ISPs, the most hated companies in America. That's a surefire way to the presidency.

Between shit like this, and Trump being their frontrunner, I'm thinking the GOP has just given up and is not even trying to win this time around... Which is fine with me, because we sure as hell don't need them back in power ever again... I'm not sure the country could survive another Republican reign... We're still very much recovering from the last one... I just hope we manage to get them all out of Congress too, because that's where they do most of their damage...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 19, 2015, 08:39 Agrajag

DangerDog wrote on Sep 18, 2015, 15:51:
The focus of the story isn't on some kid who took apart a working clock and stuffed it into a cheap briefcase

Stop repeating the lie about it being a "briefcase"... It's a tiny little pencil case... You can see the damn scale of the thing by looking at the AC plug or the 9 volt terminals that are visible... The thing is tiny... Everyone spreading the "briefcase" lie is trying to make it sound like it looked like a briefcase bomb...

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Cybersecurity Sep 10, 2015, 06:10 Agrajag

Or, everyone is really bad at it...

But, the article seems to be measuring only number of companies and money spent, not effectiveness...

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 30, 2015, 08:21 Agrajag

Crossover characters from the games in the movie? Hmmm, it's set in 15th century Spain; AC2 is 15th century Italy, but Ezio does head to Spain in Brotherhood and Discovery... So, Ezio is pretty much the only possibility for a crosover character, isn't it? Unless they mean some NPC, like da Vinci...  

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Aug 29, 2015, 09:42 Agrajag

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 09:26:
Anyone can play a game, physical sports are an entirely different thing.

In what way? I'm pretty sure anyone can play football, baseball, and basketball too... I know, because I've played all three, and I'm certainly not the most physically fit person on the planet!

Maybe what you meant was not everyone can play at a professional competative level? If so, neither can everyone do that with videogames either!

News Comments > etc., etc.
7. Re: etc., etc. Aug 29, 2015, 07:48 Agrajag

NamecaF wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 04:26:
I dont get people who watch other people playing videogames either. Its like those weird people that watch people eat food or wrap presents online. Its whack.

I feel the same way about people who watch other people play football, baseball, basketball, or other sports... If you're not playing yourself, what's the point??

/Not really, but I'd be much more likely to enjoy watching videogames than any "normal" sports...

News Comments > etc.
33. Re: etc. Aug 18, 2015, 06:16 Agrajag

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 22:50:
You cannot poll 25 people on the streets of NY and then use that to say 90% of Americans say anything and have it be even the slightest bit accurate. Their methodology gives an accuracy of exactly 0.

If that were how they did things, you might have a point... But, they don't do that... They randomly call thousands of people all across the country... So, your complaint is just nonsense...

But, more importantly, your original claim was that politicians just made up the numbers, when in fact the numbers came from multiple polls conducted by independent entities... I'm sure, in your fantasies, they're all just propaganda wings of the government, but that still doesn't make them politicians or their results simply made up...

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Aug 16, 2015, 09:02 Agrajag

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 22:54:
That 80-90% number is bullshit politicians literally made up.

If by "politicians" you mean Quinnipiac University, Washington Post, CNN, and CBS, and by "made up" you mean polled...

They also love to claim that 90% of NRA members support it, despite never having asked us.

No, it's 90+% of gun owners who support it, not NRA members... Among them, it's only 74%...

FYI jdreyer: There is no "gun show loophole." It's bullshit made up by the media and politicians.

He's talking about the private seller loophole, as is everyone who talks about the "gun show loophole"... Private sellers need not perform background checks... That's the hole everyone wants to plug with universal background checks...

You've got some good points with the futility of the War on Drugs and such, but I can't see why requiring background checks for private sales is so horrible... Especially if, as part of the deal, they opened up access to the checks so anyone could perform them for free, without going through a dealer...

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 10, 2015, 06:16 Agrajag

Meanwhile, CBS Corp. CEO Les Moonves was upbeat Wednesday about CBS's go-it-alone online channels called CBS All-Access, which provides CBS content for $6 a month, and Showtime, with original shows and movies for $11 a month.

Showtime and HBO, sure... People will pay for that, and always have paid extra for them... But, CBS? What delusion on their part makes them think that people will pay $6 a month for the network TV content of a single channel, which is broadcast over the air for free, and was always intended to be free to consumers, paid for by commercials?? If this were commercial-free content, then maybe some would, but I somehow doubt they've removed the ads...

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Jul 27, 2015, 08:42 Agrajag

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 27, 2015, 08:26:
For me it's mostly a matter of choice, I wish I could ditch Windows entirely, but a simple fact is, you can not if you are a gamer that actually wants to play everything...

Oh, I long ago gave up trying to play everything, or even most things when they're newly released... I just don't have the time for it anymore... Most of my gaming has been on consoles (PS2 then X360), as my Linux PC is pretty ancient now (though I still sometimes fire up Q3A on it when the mood strikes me)... And, I usually end up buying games that have been out a year or more, or smaller downloadable games off Xbox Live... It takes me ages to play through a decent length game now, as I pretty much only game on the weekends... So, the available selection of SteamOS games seems good enough for my needs, and I'm excited about getting a Steam Machine to replace my Xbox...

Now, ask me if I still feel the same way when GTA6 comes out... At that point, I may be forced to buy a PS4/Xbone or whatever Rockstar chooses to release on, even if that's the only game I play on it... ;-) GTAs are pretty much the only games I buy and play when newly released anymore... But, I'd be no better off there with a Windows machine, as you poor people need to wait ages for a port, too... (And, you still don't have RDR yet, do you??)

215 Comments. 11 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo