Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rob Seace

Real Name Rob Seace   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Agrajag
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Ugh...
Homepage http://www.magrathea.com/~ras/
Signed On Jan 12, 2000, 11:57
Total Comments 161 (Novice)
User ID 1965

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 7, 2014, 06:14 Agrajag

Everyone knows, Chinese people become more skilled and aggressive when drunk...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
11. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2014, 06:50 Agrajag

Cutter wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 19:47:
Lol at MS stupidity. Simply boggles the mind. If they hadn't lucked out with Windows this company would not exist today.

DOS was their lucky break, not Windows... Specifically, Gary Kildall dropping the ball and failing to license CP/M to IBM for the PC, and MS managing to find and buy a crappy clone hastily renamed to DOS that they could license to IBM... After that, it was all coasting for them!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 11, 2014, 06:34 Agrajag

Jesus, I wish people would hyphenate "shadow-banned"... Trying to parse that headline nearly gave me a headache... I thought "Piranha shadow" was some username that everyone was expected to recognize, and I was just out of the loop...  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 11, 2014, 06:31 Agrajag

Creston wrote on Jul 10, 2014, 23:40:
It's also something that happened months ago, but trust Ars to be right on the ball.

Are you sure you're not thinking about his original plea? Or Musk's vague promise to help at the time? This appears to be a brand new update on the situation saying that Musk is giving a million bucks (and a supercharger station for the parking lot)... From what I can tell by the Oatmeal's blog post on the subject (dammit, people, put dates on your posts!), it was posted yesterday... He mentions it being Tesla's birthday, which was July 10th...

8. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 3, 2014, 06:17 Agrajag

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 2, 2014, 21:11:
Google, there are several conspiracy stories of Goldman's part in 911, cover up financial issues, warning letters to emps to stay away Monday 9/11, etc.

That must be why so many died: 9/11/2001 was a Tuesday!

News Comments > DOOM Teaser Trailer
6. Re: DOOM Teaser Trailer Jun 10, 2014, 14:32 Agrajag

Does that Cyberdemon have the Union Aerospace logo stamped on its metalic parts? WTF?? Are the fucking monsters going to be some lame-ass man-created thing again, rather than demons from hell like they're supposed to be?! Goddammitsomuch!!  

15. Re: Evening Metaverse May 16, 2014, 13:38 Agrajag

eRe4s3r wrote on May 16, 2014, 11:28:
How you think they will ID the device used? Wouldn't that require the browser giving unique ID information to a plugin/website? Maybe I am misunderstanding how this would work, but to me there seems no actual way to give a device a unique trackable ID without the browser being a defacto trojan horse.... this means the browser and website have to talk to each other, share a trackable unique hash, and then generate a watermark for that content and device.

That screams privacy violation in every way, imo. (I would never use a browser that supported this)

Um, read it again... It doesn't say anything at all about device IDs or anything else you're making up in your head!

In fact, it explicitly mentions that watermarking would DO AWAY with any per-device restrictions! The whole point was to decry the evils of per-device restrictions... Watermarking means no such restrictions... Instead, it's per-user, NOT per-device... That was the whole point of what he said!

13. Re: Evening Metaverse May 16, 2014, 09:35 Agrajag

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2014, 20:07:
I have nothing against watermarking of media content as such, but Mozilla talked about supporting it on the browser side... which means via plugin that any website can poll and talk to.

Where in hell are you seeing THAT?! They say nothing of the sort that I can find...

Here are the words of the CTO in the blog post all the news articles are about: "Instead of DRM schemes that limit how users can access content they purchased across devices we have long advocated for more modern approaches to managing content distribution such as watermarking. Watermarking works by tagging the media stream with the userís identity. This discourages copyright infringement without interfering with lawful sharing of content, for example between different devices of the same user."

Nothing about the browser having anything to do with the process... No idea where you got that from!

11. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2014, 16:24 Agrajag

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2014, 15:06:
What happens when the W3C puts tracking functions or NSA backdoors in as standard? Will Firefox also add this then?

I doubt the W3C would ever do such a thing... Plus the concept of a backdoor being documented in open standards seems kind of impossible... If everyone knows about it, it can hardly be called a backdoor anymore!

Let it sink in what per user watermarking implies.... that is their less evil alternative? ... wow ~.~

What's so evil about watermarking? The idiot media companies refuse to trust their customers, so they're clearly going to keep demanding SOME method that placates them that they're doing something to stop piracy... Shitty DRM gives users a bunch of hoops to jump through (download this plug-in, and if you're lucky and we support your platform of choice, you might be able to watch what you just paid us for!), but watermarking is an alternative that doesn't really require any hoops to jump through on the user's end... If done right, it won't be visible in any way; just something totally hidden in the data to uniquely ID the user, so that on the off chance that the user really IS a pirate and uploads it somewhere for other pirates to copy, they can track down who is responsible for releasing it... I'm not sure why that's a problem... I don't have much sympathy for the actual pirates... I have far more for legit users who are inconvenienced by bullshit DRM schemes...

9. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2014, 11:27 Agrajag

eRe4s3r wrote on May 15, 2014, 10:25:
Yeah, but I remember a talk from Mozilla about how they stand up for a free and open internet. Adding support for something is akin to supporting it in every way. DOesn't seem to be possible to coexist with Mozilla's pseudo principles.

Having ideals are great, but it's not always possible to stay true to them and still survive... I suppose if they were serious enough, they could refuse to support it and then wither away and die when they lose all their users because Firefox no longer works for watching whatever crappy videos they want to watch... But, I think they feel it's better in the long run for them to continue existing and being somewhat influential, even if they have to make the occassional compromise in their ideals... They've done it before by allowing support for H.264 video, after long railing against it in favor of VP8/9 or Theora... It's generally better to be practical about the reality of things than to be a pure idealist... There's a place for pure idealism, but it's generally not a good way to make a popular and widely used product...

5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 15, 2014, 06:27 Agrajag

eRe4s3r wrote on May 14, 2014, 21:55:
Uh, so we are supposed to install an Adobe backdoor that's not security tested, not talking encrypted, and not verifying identity of servers on our systems to watch certain kinds of media now?

Or how about.. no? Geez, what could possibly go wrong! Apparently Firefox devs never heard of the Sony trojan

So, don't install it then... Firefox is just adding support for it (reluctantly), so you could install it if you wanted, and have it work... If users have no need to watch the crap crippled with the DRM in question, then they have no need to worry about it... Plus, it's a given that every other browser out there will be supporting this crap, so if Firefox doesn't and everything starts requiring such support to watch, then Firefox refusing to support it will be the death of it...

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
18. Re: Morning Metaverse May 13, 2014, 06:26 Agrajag

Julio wrote on May 12, 2014, 18:07:
ISP provider

Is this a thing now? Like ATM machine and PIN number?

Or is there some entity out there who provides ISPs to people?

News Comments > ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech
50. Re: ZeniMax vs. Oculus and Carmack on VR Tech May 2, 2014, 06:31 Agrajag

Well, there goes any enthusiasm I had for playing the newest Wolfenstein or Doom (if/when it ever shows up)... DIAF rotting corpse of id!  

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 25, 2014, 06:09 Agrajag

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 25, 2014, 00:09:
Because it definitely does not take skill to be a mom, everyone can do it.

I'm pretty sure I lack the proper parts to be a mom...

12. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 21, 2014, 06:56 Agrajag

Creston wrote on Mar 20, 2014, 21:44:
A few weeks ago, we agreed to pay Comcast and our members are now getting a good experience again."

REALLY? So Comcast's claim that it was just 'normal network congestion' can't be right then, because if it had been normal network congestion, more money wouldn't have simply fixed it.

So, like everyone knows, and like everyone said, Comcast was blatantly throttling your traffic, in blatant violation of net neutrality, the rules they swore to uphold until 2017 even if they were stricken down by court order.

Well, I hate to defend evil ISPs, but I was under the impression that the "fix" involved Comcast directly peering with Netflix (in exchange for some unknown amount of money)... So, it's not so much that they were deliberately throttling the traffic before, but they just let it get routed through Timbuktu on its way to them, so it was just naturally much slower... Now, the traffic goes directly from Netflix right onto Comcast's network with nothing in between, hence the speed gain...

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 18, 2014, 06:49 Agrajag

We need to require Congresscritters to wear patches of all their sponsors, like fucking NASCAR drivers... Then, we'd at least know who owns them all...  

13. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 5, 2014, 06:34 Agrajag

Axis wrote on Mar 4, 2014, 20:33:
Ever see a magic trick that is revealed? Hows it feel watching it again?

I know it's not true of most people, but for me knowing how a trick is done just makes it all the more interesting and awesome... I could watch Penn and Teller demonstrate exactly how they perform the Cups and Balls trick over and over without ever getting bored... Knowing the skill and talent required to pull that sort of thing off is far more impressive and amazing to me than believing in "magic" or simply being left in the dark with no idea what happened...

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 10, 2014, 06:31 Agrajag

Scheherazade wrote on Jan 9, 2014, 22:46:
(AFAIK this right is the same that protects the anonymity of news informants)

I don't think anything protects the anonymity of news informants other than reporters willing to go to jail rather than divulge their identity... And, that has happened many times, because judges often order them to be revealed... But, reporters know that if they do once, no one will ever leak to them again in the future...

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 4, 2014, 09:33 Agrajag

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 17:09:
The cheaters are ruining the game

That's how I feel about all multiplayer games these days... Well, not just cheaters necessarily, but the other players in general... Even if they're not cheating, a large number of them are being obnoxious dicks and making the experience of playing with them very unfun... I don't know, I think I've just gotten too old to tolerate such crap, or something... But, these days, I pretty much only play single player games, or if I do multiplayer its with a small group of known people only... I checked out GTAO very briefly, and found myself mostly hating it just as any other multiplayer game... ("Look, asshole, we're supposed to be pulling a job together, so stop shooting me and trying to steal the loot for yourself!") So, I haven't touched it in quite a while... Instead, I'm really, really looking forward to single player DLC, and wish they'd hurry the hell up about releasing it!

News Comments > Al Lowe Leaves Replay: Sex Actually Involved
31. Re: Al Lowe Leaves Replay: Sex Actually Involved Dec 13, 2013, 13:05 Agrajag

Creston wrote on Dec 13, 2013, 12:57:
I would be extremely wary of anyone under the age of 18 though, no matter what the age of consent says for that particular state.

As old as I am these days, the entire thought of hooking up with anyone under about 30 seems disturbing and creepy to me... Let alone a fucking teenager, with all their angsty bullshit issues to deal with! I don't know how anyone who is not a teen (or maybe early 20s) does it without being driven insane in the process...

161 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo