Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname StreetPreacher
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description mail: preacher/StreetPreacher/net
Homepage None given.
Signed On Dec 6, 2003, 01:26
Total Comments 303 (Amateur)
User ID 19590

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. Dumb question Jul 6, 2005, 21:39 StreetPreacher

There are no games based on religion b/c religion is stupid. And boring.

Seriously, would you rather blast aliens, zombies, and Nazis, or listen to some gas bag pontificate about his version of God?

Yeah, biiig mystery there fellas.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > VU Games Gets Unreal
19. No subject Jul 6, 2005, 15:20 StreetPreacher

Epic/Unreal is definately the 800lb. gorilla in the engine wars. They're the ones to beat, and I for one am glad. They've been great to the community and their licensees as well.

Good for them.

News Comments > Valve Developer Community Launches
17. No subject Jun 29, 2005, 21:05 StreetPreacher

Dude, there are tons of Unreal mods. Good ones, too. And I don't think that looking at online players/servers is the best measure. Lots of people (myself included) simply don't play online. I/we much prefer the more consistent (and un-insulting) bot experience. I've played UT2K4 regularly since launch, and I've played online exactly twice. And each time remembered exactly why I don't do it more often. There's more of us out there than you think.

If you only look at the Make Something Unreal contest, you'll see a treasure trove of great mods. Red Orchestra, Clone Bandits, Air Bucaneers, Unwheel, Alien Swarm, Deathball, Troopers... there are a lot. Many of these mods are nearly retail quality.

I'm suprised that we've seen so little out of Source and Doom 3, both in terms of mods and retail licensees. Looks like Epic is laying solid claim to the engine throne (in terms of commercial success). But on the mod side, maybe we're finally seeing engines evolve to the point that average Joe's can no longer create meaningful content.

News Comments > LEGO Star Wars Video Issue
10. No subject Jun 28, 2005, 14:41 StreetPreacher

I'm starting to see why people prefer consoles more and more every day.

News Comments > Virtual Reality Becoming a Realty?
39. No subject Jun 25, 2005, 12:29 StreetPreacher

Orogogus: OK, now I think I see what you're saying. The problem is that moving your head is actually a very poor mechanism for controlling anything beyond general point of view. So HMD's are great for being able to "look around" intuitively in a game, but are terrible for actually controlling the game (as in flying a spaceship, or controlling an FPS). People are very used to controlling things with their hands (like a car, bicycle, or even a mouse), and hands are very naturally adept and making finely controlled movements. Your neck muscles aren't nearly as adept, as they're only used to get your head pointed in the right general direction. After that, your eyes do all the work.

I tried playing Quake on those old VFX 3D googles and it was horrible. VERY difficult to control with any precision. It'd be better to control with the mouse, and have the visor change your point of view independent of the aiming reticule. Also, see someone else's comments about having to spin around in your chair just to turn around ingame.

But if you're interested in controlling POV more intuitively, check out TrackIR. I hear it's quite good, and racing and flight sim enthusiasts swear by it. And it's only about $100 IIRC.

Awesome Spume: For the rest of us dummies, I think you're going to have to explain how a 35" screen is like a 14' sphere. And what good is a spherical display anyways, unless you're sitting inside of it? Otherwise you're only seeing a fraction of the screen.

Awesome Spume

News Comments > Virtual Reality Becoming a Realty?
31. No subject Jun 24, 2005, 23:31 StreetPreacher

Orogogus, you seem to be missing the point. As cool as an immersive VR experience would be (which is to say VERY), this ain't it. If you're unsure, mark off 35" on a wall with tape or something and then go stand 7 feet away. It's a tiny little postage stamp in your field of vision. That's not virtual reality... that's a virtual tiny little screen. By comparison, I sit about 1 1/2' away from a 24" monitor, and it doesn't even cover 1/2 of my field of vision. And the resolution? Pathetic. 320x240 vs. 1900x1200 on my current monitor. For those of you keeping track at home, that's 3% of the pixels on my current monitor. No thank you.

This product is doomed to fail until someone can make a better, lighter HMD with a higher resolution and larger field of vision. My personal favorite technology (which is still in it's infancy, and VERY expensive) is the one that skips the screen altogether, and uses low-powered lasers to draw the picture direcly on the back of your retina. Now THAT's the way of the future!

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 23:36.

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint Open Letter
21. No subject Jun 22, 2005, 22:29 StreetPreacher

Wow. 4 years old, and it's STILL one of the best games you can play IMHO. Has it really been that long? Sadly, I probably haven't played it in over a year, but now I'm thinking I should dust it off and try out some of these spiffy mods.

News Comments > DoD: Source News
9. No subject Jun 18, 2005, 16:15 StreetPreacher

"We didn't feel like the game was good enough from a visual perspective to release."

...and yet they had no problems releasing Half Life: Source. *blech*

News Comments > Spy Games?
9. Re: Stop stealing my tax $ Jun 18, 2005, 00:51 StreetPreacher

LOL. Although technically I don't think they call it terrorism when you're fighting against regular forces that have invaded your country (a la Mujahadeen). But on the upside, you'd never be at a loss for sequel content, what with all the unfortunate bedfellows that the CIA has had over the years.

News Comments > Spy Games?
3. No subject Jun 17, 2005, 14:21 StreetPreacher

I too would LOVE to have this job.

In-Q-Tel exists to invest in ideas and products that could prove useful to the Agency's mission, BTW. There's no conspiracy theories here. Using modern 3D engines as training aids is nothing new; the DoD has been doing it for years. Just look at all the work being done with the OFP engine and the Marine Corps. Or FSW and the Army. I think the Agency is just looking to see if they can leverage it the same way.

News Comments > BF2 Linux Server - Hacked Servers De-listed
9. No subject Jun 14, 2005, 23:20 StreetPreacher

What a crock of shit. If you don't want people to use locked weapons, then don't include them in the demo! And the time limit thing is just ridiculous. I hate the 12-minute limit. You mean to tell me that server admins aren't even allowed to set time limits the way they (and their players) want? That's complete and utter bullshit.

DICE/EA are a bunch of nitpicking whiners. God forbid someone actually play a game the way they want to. What's next... ban me if I reset my key binding? You certainly made that A LOT more difficult than resetting time limits.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 23:21.

News Comments > No SAG/AFTRA Game Strike
7. Re: No subject Jun 9, 2005, 16:28 StreetPreacher

What a bunch of greedy bastards.

* An immediate 25 percent increase in minimum wages from $556 to $695 for a four-hour session for up to three voices with increases in subsequent years, bringing the daily rate up to $759.
OMG. I've got a pretty good job (sotware developer), and you know how long it takes me to earn $750? I'll give you a hint - it's a hell of a lot more than 4 FRIGGIN HOURS. And for what? For TALKING. They don't even have to do makeup, wardrobe, or anything physical. This is for TALKING, people.

* Double time pay after six hours (previously ten hours) for three-voice performers.
Is this a joke? I've worked 16+hr days, and I never got any double time. And I'm not even complaining - I'm lucky my employer gives me STRAIGHT TIME for anything over 40hrs/wk. Most white collar people get nada - it just comes with the job.

So let me get this straight... if these lazy money-grabbers actually worked FULL TIME like the rest of us, they'd get what...

$759/4hrs = $189.75/hr

$189.75 x 6hrs = $1,138.50
+ $379.50 x 2hrs = $759.00 (overtime)
= $1,897.50/day

$1,897.50/day x 5 days = $9,487.50/week

$9,487.50/week x 52 weeks = $493,350/yr.

Wow. Almost $500K per year. I tell you what - for that price it better be the best Goddamned voice acting I've ever heard.

I say kick them to the curb. Go to the drama department of your local school and find talented young people that are looking for experience and a way to pay for their books and tuition (and pad a resume to boot). Pay them $500 for a day's work and they'll be glad to have the work.

News Comments > DICE NY Closed
43. No subject Jun 7, 2005, 14:48 StreetPreacher

Closing them down so that you don't have to pay the money you promised for acquisition? That doesn't even sound legal. Unless the contract was so mind-numbingly one sided that it included a clause saying "We'll pay you X amount, unless we just don't feel like it." If that's the case, then shame on Trauma for signing it.

Shame on you, DICE. The sad part is, most consumers won't even know how crooked they are, and will buy BF2 anyways. You want to close a studio, then fine. That's basic business. But pay the money you owe. That's basic integrity.

*calls EB to cancel pre-order*

This comment was edited on Jun 7, 14:49.

News Comments > On Game Violence
23. No subject Jun 7, 2005, 09:43 StreetPreacher

Columbine X10? Hey now, that sounds like a good idea for a GAME! Or maybe we'll call it "Columbine EXTREME!" Yeah, I think I like the sound of that.

And don't nearly ALL young boys play games now? Meaning that no matter who goes on a rampage, they'll be able to refer to them as a "crazed gamer." Where are the people calling them a "crazed TV-watcher," or "crazed music listener"? Hell, how about "crazed Internet surfer?" Ridiculous.

But with that said, retailers should NOT be selling "M" rated games to kids. It should be just like R rated movies (even though that's not enforced, either). Be 17 or older, or have parental consent.

News Comments > Gears of War PC?
41. No subject May 24, 2005, 19:40 StreetPreacher

It's a shame GoW is a 3rd person game then aye
It's a shame indeed. *shrugs* But I also remember a little third-person game that was in development years ago called "Halo". Only time will tell.

32. No subject May 24, 2005, 18:14 StreetPreacher

What if the next gen consoles flop, which is a good possibility.
In what universe exactly do you think it's possible that the 2 largest consoles will sit on shelves gathering dust? Nevermind the enhanced hardware and rendering, but with the added music, video, and online capabilities, the entire next gen flopping is possible in the same way that a black hole spontaneously opening up next to the Earth and swallowing it whole is possible.

21. No subject May 24, 2005, 14:36 StreetPreacher

I dunno. As much as I would LOVE to see GoW on PC (the ONLY way FPS should be played, IMNSHO), I'm gonna doubt it until I hear different from Epic. I heard "Xbox exclusive" right from Cliffy's mouth, so...

And why would they let it be exclusive? Easy - if MS offered them enough $$ for exclusive platform rights. Or maybe they'll do like they did with Halo - release it for PC, but only after such a long delay that it'll be old technology by then and nobody will care anymore. Which would be a shame.

News Comments > New Bohemia Interactive Game
17. No subject May 20, 2005, 20:01 StreetPreacher

Congrats, BIS. You've managed to completely confuse everyone to the point that nobody has any idea what the heck your making, or how they relate to each other.

But since OFP was just so damned awesome, I'm sure we'll buy all of them. I know I will.

News Comments > Delta Force: Xtreme Demo
6. No subject May 17, 2005, 14:27 StreetPreacher

Xtreme... LOL! I'll bet it'll only be played by l337 haX0rs with spikey hair and tatoos that are teh pwn4ge!

Pathetic.

And I too am forwarded to the previous page in my history when I click the US flag on their homepage. How good could their games be if they can't even code a simple webpage?

News Comments > etc.
1. No subject May 17, 2005, 14:22 StreetPreacher

Ditch SAG. You can find plenty of non-union talent elsewhere that won't be nearly as greedy.

303 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo