Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Alex Johnson

Real Name Alex Johnson   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname BigAlski
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Dec 5, 2003, 23:17
Total Comments 20 (Suspect)
User ID 19588

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > SAG Reconsiders
2. Greed Jun 24, 2005, 13:15 BigAlski

I live in Southern California and the pattern out here is Union death throws. For me, it is hard to compare the root of American Unions (I.E. 16 hr days in the coal mines) to 4 hour recording sessions 3 times a month.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gold - Asheron's Call 2: Legions
5. Turbine... Apr 25, 2005, 23:05 BigAlski

Well I for one have a lot of respect for Turbine. Knowing they are making DDO, I stopped by the comic shop in town today and picked up both the DnD 3.5 players manual and the Ebberon Campaign setting books. I really look forward to DDO.

As far as AC, I really loved that game. Random loot, large dungeons, and monthly content made it a blast.

News Comments > Bad Day L.A. Announced
5. Re: No subject Apr 25, 2005, 23:02 BigAlski

This reminds me of the movie "Gang Related" with the late Tupac Shakur and James Belushi

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Details
6. Galactic Battlefield 2... Apr 21, 2005, 00:09 BigAlski

...will have wookie turd guns and a bit of molesting activity between Yoda and his young Jedi's, with Bernard Law presiding.

News Comments > Age of Conan Announced
14. Conan Apr 20, 2005, 20:58 BigAlski

IMO, Conan is one of the better tales if u read them through as the older ones (probably 1 to 150), where my favorite Ernie Chan earned his fame. They are well written and have a deep story that ties in as the path goes on.

News Comments > Terrorist Takedown: Payback Announced
11. Re: Yeehaaa Apr 13, 2005, 00:41 BigAlski

Well you know EQ2 now allows a special /pizza command to pop up an online ordering menu for Pizza Hut, maybe this one could have a console button for beer delivery.

News Comments > D&D Online Alpha Sign-ups
29. ADnD Thee grandaddy... Apr 11, 2005, 20:51 BigAlski

Yes, Dungeons and Dragons is the original and for that alone true gamers should give it a fighting chance. If you don't know anything about this game all you have to do is goto a gaming store and see how many volumes of primary and supporting material is in print for it.

25. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2005, 18:41 BigAlski

Well, I hate to say it but....WoW is burying EQ2 and it is just fate since the everquest franchise didnt change with the times. They still force you to group, try to make the benefits of tradeskills nil until you devote some 2 months to it, and keep you wanting more content and feeling cramped if u do get dedicated so you will buy the next expansion. At least WoW lets you have fun and play with your friends if u want too, not because you HAVE to.

And to quantify who copied who....
Everquest was copied by: Shadowbane, Horizons, DAoC...two of which are defunct. (you could also add Lineage 2)
Asherons Call purposely meant to be different (no Tolkein monsters) but then tried to copy EQ with AC2 and it was a failure.

Then you had the EQ style Sci Fi games, all of which were failures or mediocre successes: SWG, AO, Neocron, and now Matrix Online

23. Re: Turbine Underrrated... Apr 11, 2005, 18:35 BigAlski

Also, Turbine (I know, blame Microsoft for this..tis the standard line) was far to lax for far too long with those who used 3rd party combat macros. And don't even let me get started on the whole 'experience' chain issue..one problem simply feeding another

Yes I have to agree here. I quit too after, say, 2 years of macro gamers ruining the natural curve of the game and the world economies. One thing I will always remember, though, is getting up on Saturday morning, putting on a pot of coffee, and heading off to the Olthoi caves for a day of bug bashing. For an unarmed, you could get in there at lvl28ish and hold your own against one, gradually getting better and better..and in like 2 weeks you would be level 40, able to take 8 or 10 at a time. The lvl5 loot was rare in there though.

9. Turbine Underrrated... Apr 11, 2005, 14:37 BigAlski

Well first of all I would like to say I am a 7 year visitor to the Blues news forums and am really happy to see them back up. Now I would hope to open a debate about MMORPG's, the recent failed attemps by other bigger draws, and Turbine's original Asheron's Call, as well as a look back into the glory days of table top RPGs.

In my opinion Turbine did many fine things with Asheron's Call. It came out after Everquest and had a more fluid world, lots more dungeons, random loot, and the ability to play solo. Continuing on the issue of lots of dungeons, AC had it in spades. I recently played EQ2 for about 3 weeks and quit. The strata of equipment wasnt very broad and monster drops never really "excited" me to the point of wanting a challenging hunt for some fine loot. In the major zone for levels 10 to 20 (60 cap) there were only 3 dungeons. AC must have had 200 dungeons, and at least 30 really big ones, and that was 5 years ago. Of course, AD&D is all about dungeon crawls so lets hope this holds true in D&D online. All of the screenshots I have seen are of dungeons. The monthly updates of content really were cool with AC too, I hope this is the plan for D&D online. Some new dungeon or monster really was nice.

So I am interested in any opinions you all have about D&D, or any great table tops you used to play and what you liked about them. COme on guys, sing it up!!!

Alexander

News Comments > Country Justice: Revenge of the Rednecks Demo
1. Re: Croc Attack Apr 6, 2005, 10:00 BigAlski

I think this is a pretty blatently biased game making fun of rural culture.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
33. Yes, sorry May 25, 2004, 15:54 BigAlski

I meant, Shining Path, sorry :).

My Mistake

23. WTC May 25, 2004, 14:16 BigAlski

First let me start by stating this is my opinion. I believe the towers were destroyed by powers that be in our own country (civil or government) as retribution for the impending recession fallout and lack of lateral fortitude our military possesses (because of the American Media) to deal with terrorism abroad. The original NATO doctrine justifies force to enforce peace. Beyond the temperature and energy produced by Jet Fuel, one should look at where Powell was the day of the attacks for a big clue. He was in Peru, where the Shinning Path "terrorists" are now respected and the ex-PM is now an international fugitive. Also, in the website, Tom Clancy is shown speaking at the time of the attacks. A respected commentator, Clancy went through a bitter divorce where his ex-wife refused him to use the Jack Ryan character ever again unless she got paid.

And for all Jack Ryan has done to fight the IRA, to have to hang it up over a divorce!!! Hahahaha!!!!

News Comments > Final Conan Demo
15. Re: Is the new demo any better? Feb 19, 2004, 23:57 BigAlski

Yes, Ernie Chan was king. I at one time had over 200 Conan Comics and still have the first one along with many dozens of early Ernie Chan ones. There was also a Conan full sized BnW magazine out for a while, in which Ernie did some great work.

News Comments > Legend Closure & XMP Patch Follow-ups
18. Re: Just kinda upset... Jan 18, 2004, 11:17 BigAlski

IMO, Unreal rode the coat tails of the quake/doom franchises from the beginning. In Unreal there are many nuances that were added late in the development stage after they played Quake2. The most prominent of these was the flies on the corpses, whereas Quake2 was just floating sprites, Unreal expounded on them slightly. I always thought these little things were a cheap way of making a better copy of ID's creativity. Obviously, UT was designed to counter Quake3 Arena. The concept of Q3 was based on Rocket Arena, which was a "Quake Thing" and Epic/Legend should have found the creativity to go their own way. UT and UT2003 also copied the demi-gothic motif in their levels from the beginning that date back to doom and were prominent in Q3, so they kind of painted themselves in a creative corner by that stage. They also ripped off their fan base that was shaky, at best, by splitting UT2003 and Unreal II. Good Riddance, as far as I am concerned. Those who can't create their own intellectual property deserve to drown in their own SH!T.

On the bright side, Quake4 and Doom3 seem to be totally different games that will lead to, hopefully, a dozen unique and fullfilling games over a broad gambit of genres using the Doom3 engine.

142. Re: helicopter video Jan 13, 2004, 08:54 BigAlski

Your numbers are way off as far as 2 million killed in covert bombing operations. 10 million is also too high. IMO, I would be suprised if 10,000 civilians died during the Vietnam conflict due to covert aerial bombing out of Vietnam.

Also, because we pulled out of Vietnam you forget to mention the millions dead in Cambodia.

News Comments > More on Interplay
4. Re: RRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAA!!! Dec 16, 2003, 23:36 BigAlski

I second that one. F*CK YOU for ruining the best RPG game to date. If any of you guys ever played the classic PnP RPG, Twilight 2000, which Fallout has its roots in, you would understand the anguish I feel that one of the greatest franchises is dead.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War Dawns
13. WH 40k universe for MMOFPS Dec 10, 2003, 20:30 BigAlski

I think the WarHammer 40k universe would make a great MMOFPS, and I can't see how it would detract from the table top franchise. Table top games as a whole, and especially Pen and Paper RPG's have declined since their heyday in the late 80's.

The universe I think would be more compelling, though, is Battletech/Mechwarrior.

News Comments > Black Isle, Fallout 3 Dead
70. Piracy Dec 9, 2003, 07:58 BigAlski

I have to agree with you about Piracy Beaver. I remember the days (early 1998ish) when there were a lot of shit titles on the store shelves and gamers, generally, were getting ripped but by 1999 most titles were quality and the industry was maturing in the way they treated gamers. Unfortunately, this era brought about rampant piracy and small time developers certainly got cheated. Selling 140,000 copies would have saved a lot of smaller units but piracy just kept the sales too low.

Its almost ironic, I have always paid for my games but full grown adults I know bootleg all the time. I am a full time college student and work at a pizza parlor as well and the assistant manager there always asks me "hey can you burn me a copy of this and that game", etc, etc. Plus I think a lot of parents turned a blind eye to piracy in the late 1990's before the digital recession because that 50 bucks would have been out of their pockets so why did they care if lil' Billy downloaded some warez?

As far as Fallout going down the tubes, its a shame. The game sure was great, and we all dreamed of a MMORPG/FPS in the universe, which will alas never come to be. Its too bad some of the great titles never saw the full implementation of 3d technology. When I played KOTOR for the first time the other day, I couldn't help but get the sense of shallowness in it and wonder what it would be like in 3d if it was Fallout. Oh well :(.

News Comments > Unreal II XMP Demo
52. Tribes 2 Dec 5, 2003, 18:17 BigAlski

I must agree Tribes 2 was a great game. I only stopped playing it because it would lock up on me, with fatal exception errors. IMO, Tribes2 is to the more serious gamer what BF1942 is now to the casual gamer. It took much skill to practice things such as delivering troops in the carriers, getting lock ons while airbound, or winning disk fights with incoming enemies.

I never played Unreal II but I think I will go out and buy it when it ships with the multi.

20 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo