Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Javier Nunez

Real Name Javier Nunez   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ludomancer
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 27, 2003, 21:29
Total Comments 353 (Amateur)
User ID 19515

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: G/J Jan 31, 2008, 21:15 Ludomancer

"Cool, but gib is pronounced jib."

It depends on where you're from. I have had this conversation with countless other people, so I suspect there are differences in dialect that people aren't aware of.
Regardless, "gib" is short for "giblets", as in giblets and gravy. In California it's a hard "G" sound, and is reflected in the dictionary. When I look at an online dictionary, it contradicts this, so in the end it's up to where you're from and what you were raised with I guess.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Just Cause 2 Announcement
3. Re: Just Cause 2 Jan 30, 2008, 21:49 Ludomancer

Console gaming won't exactly take over. PC's will always exist to some extent (at least for a few decades to come). Consoles are definitely taking the larger portion of games currently, but I think this means that games ont he PC will kind of return to their roots in a large sense (more risky, experimental type games, less mainstream bullshit).

At least,.... that's the direction I see, and hope, for it to go.

News Comments > The Return of the Prince
8. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 03:40 Ludomancer

Sands of Time was one of my all-time favorite games. I played the demo for the followup, and it scarred me so badly (they completely missed the point, it was obvious Ubisoft big-wig-idiots got their hands on the creative direction) that I never touched the sequels after. Really a pity.

Assassin's Creed is a whole different ballgame that all of the above though. It's a flawed masterpiece in the truest sense.

News Comments > DNF Teaser Video Tomorrow
65. Re: Best of luck to 3DR Dec 19, 2007, 01:45 Ludomancer

Wow, the Quake Engine has come a LOOOONG way, hasn't it?

News Comments > Gothic 4 Announced
21. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 12:30 Ludomancer

I woudln't put any serious blame on the eeveloper (Pluto-13/PiranaBytes). Usually situations like the one we've seen with G3's release is entirely the fault of a publisher rushing the developer to release a game early.
JoWood is not a very good publisher to begin with, and this isn't the first time they strong-armed a studio into shutting down because they weren't happy with the fact that games take time to make properly.

News Comments > Perpetual Layoffs, Gods & Heroes Delay
18. No subject Dec 15, 2006, 21:59 Ludomancer

Really, just fuck any studio that lays people off and considers it normal and acceptable practice. Anytime a company says that they're just trying to save face for their product and lack of funds.
If it were ever a fair deal to the employees, the employees would have a solid schedule in their contract and know exactly what date their employment would terminate. You know what? That's acceptable because everyone sees it coming.
It's not acceptable to lay people off mid-project because you're management and development can't pull the product together. If you get a contract to work a project, you shouldn't find yourself jobless halfway through.

Fuck Perpetual.

News Comments > EA and Crytek?
25. Re: No subject Aug 26, 2006, 22:01 Ludomancer

I wonder how this will affect EA's choice of engines for development. They just purchased Renderware to expand as their main engine. It failed to meet their expectations , (or their engineers failed to make good use of it) so they decided to go with the Unreal 3 Engine. Now there's talk of them acquiring Crytek, who owe their popularity to their flexible and impressive engine. Too funny.

News Comments > Sword of the Stars Demo
13. 4x Jul 25, 2006, 19:16 Ludomancer

I only recently started hearing this "4X" moniker. Where does that come from and when did it start defining this genre of games? I don't understand the reference.

Thanks

News Comments > Help Wanted
4. Re: No subject Jul 9, 2006, 14:28 Ludomancer

Yeah, even if his media outbursts are annoying, it's kind of fun to have people like John Romero working in the industry, in about the same way it's fun to have projects like Duke Nukem Forever. I get giddy just thinking about what kind of amusing results these people/projects will produce in the end.

Either way, the guy's harmless. If you've had to work with him at one point, maybe your entitled to a different opinion, but it's not really cool to say someone should die in the first place.

News Comments > Gothic III Drops StarForce
17. Gothic 2 Jul 6, 2006, 12:51 Ludomancer

Did Gothic 2 use Star Force?

Glad they droppped it either way. Must be my favorite RPG series on the PC, and would have had to pass it up if they shipped it with this crap.

News Comments > Dungeon Runners Beta
23. Re: art Apr 17, 2006, 02:28 Ludomancer

Agreed. The only reason people think art matters the most is because there is progression. Just because there is progression doesn't mean it's a requirement. First and foremost games are about the gameplay. The art is fantastic and can grab a hold of you for longer if it's interesting to look at, but I continually play the old games as far back as the 2600, DOS, NES, SNES Sega, etc. Pretty much a little of everything just because there are many games that remain simple and fun to play. Right now I'm going back and forth between Oblivion and Bards Tale 1 and 2. I would never be so naive to look at an old game and say it looked bad. Games come out today that look terrible, but the difference is simply bad art, not progression in technology (the AD&D Gold Box games blew us all away when they were first released, but I'm sure most Art-centric brainwashed folks would have a hard time looking at them now).
And for the record, black and white film is still made today, though entirely as an artistic preference, there are certain aesthetics that can only be acheived with severe limitations in media.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
20. Re: StarForce? Mar 21, 2006, 14:55 Ludomancer

No Starforce in Oblivion, thankfullly.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
8. Bay Area? Mar 21, 2006, 14:30 Ludomancer

Bay Area Fry's has this on sale for 37.99 when it comes in. Does anyone know if any of the Fry's in this area have it in stock right now?

News Comments > OZ Down on Getting Up
2. Re: No subject Feb 15, 2006, 13:41 Ludomancer

how awesome would it be if they just started banning games because they were terrible?

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure
12. Re: No subject Feb 14, 2006, 15:45 Ludomancer

This game is definitely a farce. There's nothing here that has any spirit of graffiti or self-representation. As ghetto as that may sound at least people who did this kind of thing in real life were doing it for fun and art, whereas I saw this game at E3, and you're just constantly getting into fights with people and whatnot. Very low-brow entertainment that has no legitimacy of its source material.

"Let's just make it more of a corporate machine, where we pretend that it's not a corporate machine."

LOL yes exactly. Frighteningly accurate.

News Comments > Cuts at EA
16. oi Feb 2, 2006, 04:54 Ludomancer

Fortunately I was not one of the people laid off today. I left EA about 6 months ago, but I really have a grudge against that company and lots of friends that remained there. Many, many, many talented people lost their jobs today. Also, don't take negative things said on this board seriously because these guys haven't yet dealt with these things in their lives.
Best of luck finding new work though. I do not believe Z-Axis is hiring, but I do know that Crystal, Lucasarts, Blizzard (console and Warcraft studios) and Backbone Entertainment are (just to name a few local or otherwise worthy studios to work at). You probably already have endless phone calls from recruiters, but best of luck to you either way.
If all else fails I'm sure EA will have a massive hiring spree in 6 months to a year. X(

For those guys trolling in ignorance: I left EA specifically because I hate that company, the disrespect they often show their employees, and way management makes the mistakes and never takes the fall. There are many bad things about EA, and selling your life to a company like that struck a bad chord with me, so I split. You know what difference it made? None. EA continued to make games, money, and employ other people. You can rant and rave about what you think employees choices are in the world of labor, but obviously you are not an employee of the game industry. We live in a society that rewards people for greedy, selfish acts. People dream, slave, train, and push themselves to the edge to enter this industry for their love of games, and our reward is? EA. I think people have a right to bitch.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 04:54.

News Comments > Cuts at EA
6. No subject Feb 2, 2006, 01:11 Ludomancer

"I'd be curious to see how many of these jobs end up going overseas."

Right now EA is developing a new Lord of the Rings title which is almost entirely outsourced, with a development team numbering a dozen or two.
This project is a test bed to see if EA can successfully develop 80% of a game via outsourcing. If it succeeds it will be very bad news for developers in the US. Personally I don't see it succeeding however, due to the incompetence of most outsource houses when it comes to communication and accurately delivering content. (Nearly all outsourced art assets have to be touched up, if not entirely recreated once they're received by the developer).

"Wonder how many of them were already contract/temp employees to begin with."

Frighteningly, almost none. Most people let go at EA today ranged from first-year employees to industry veterans. All of them were very talented individuals.
-People with up to 7 years of experience were let go.
-People who had been working in the industry since 1993 were let go, however several people with NO game experience, but a background in FILM, kept their jobs.
-No one from Marketing or Management was let go.

EA stands for Employment Annihilation.

News Comments > EA versus Ubisoft
29. Re: No subject Feb 2, 2006, 00:58 Ludomancer

"I cannot wait for the turnover point when digital distribution slays these dogs to a well deserved death. The beauty will be the day when homegrown development teams can make and distribute their own games."

I think you're overestimating digitial distribution. Once it is mainstream and controllable (ala Steam, etc), it will merely be controlled by the same bodies that currently make up the crooked publishers.
The only method of distribution that is free from this kind of mismanagement is P2P, but then it's nearly impossible to get information for each and every product on a P2P network. So if joe blow makes game of the year and releases it in this manner it just won't reach the full scope of the intended audience. The benefit of asshole-publishers and their ilk is that they put up their money to inform audiences about their products, but obviously this is a double edged sword since we just come full circle and end up getting lied to about how great Shit-Game-2000 is because PublisherX wants us to fill their pockets.

So that's where things lie. Digitial distribution will just be controlled by people with enough money to utilize it to it's fullest extent, and we'll be right back where we started. In mean time, we should all just boycott them by pirating games outright.

News Comments > EA versus Ubisoft
20. Re: die Feb 1, 2006, 16:20 Ludomancer

"Yeeeah... because EA ALWAYs has the best interest of its employees (and potential employees) in mind. Uh-huh."

Especially ironic considering they just laid off 120+ people at the Redwood Shores studio today.

News Comments > Stargate SG-1 Cancelled?
11. good vs. sales Jan 21, 2006, 16:17 Ludomancer

Just to address a previous comment:

"Good" (and even Great) games get cancelled in this industry *all the time*. Games that make money are eventually shipped. Sometimes games that ship are both good and money makers, but don't confuse the two. Rarely do we actually get good games, we just get money makers the majority of the time.

353 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo