Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Javier Nunez

Real Name Javier Nunez   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ludomancer
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 27, 2003, 21:29
Total Comments 353 (Amateur)
User ID 19515

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Ignition's Unreal-engine FPS
1. No subject Jul 7, 2008, 14:27 Ludomancer

“Ignition Florida is yet another studio paying us large amounts of capital to license our technology” said Mark Rein, Vice President, Epic Games. “It's my duty to speak largely of their capabilities, verifiable or not, in order to ensure the future projects based on our engine turn a profit and guarantee our own longevity.”

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky Details
14. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 04:23 Ludomancer

That comment is so wrong on so many levels.

It really is, isn't it? It frustrates me to no end how all my favorite PC games lately have needed the players to pick up the slack and make them reach their minimum true potential. Nearly all of them!
To this date no one has even gotten Oblivions stupid, lazy excuse for a user interface anywhere near the functionality of a typical PC game's GUI. Ridiculous.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 04:23.

5. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 21:57 Ludomancer

There are a couple mods that add cars back in. They're great fun. This is one of those games where you really do need fan-made mods to enjoy it to the fullest.

News Comments > John Carmack Q&A
4. Re: He is totally wrong. Jun 26, 2008, 21:51 Ludomancer

There was no open world in Crysis. The entire game was a linear set of level after level. You've been smokin', haven't you!?
Crysis was a decent shooter. The nanosuit was fun to play with. The engine itself is phenomenal but beyond that there's nothing groundbreaking about it. Name one thing?
Same with World of Warcraft, it's a generic MMO with great art direction, background history and an easy leveling curve. It features nothing different outside of the direction of the rest of the genre.
This "future of PC/console gaming" thing is stupid. They're literally the same thing with different alternatives for input and a slightly more dynamic hardware configuration and more freedom on the PC side.
As far as game design goes Carmack is falling a bit behind in terms of actual successes with his recent games, but he's got the right idea with his direction. Simple gameplay rulesystems are the way to go. Just looking at the most complex game you can think of you'll see it's just a composition of many different simple game mechanics used together. Who knows what this Quake Live will be like, but the important thing is to continue to differentiate the PC platform from consoles, so we don't lose that freedom or dynamic of upgradability.
Oh, and casual gaming is myth. They're just games of a different genre, fuck their stupid buzzwords. Tetris was a "casual game" before there were casual games.

3. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 21:39 Ludomancer

I hope it really is extensive, and not just a few clip-on items like the original. These games need to break through the barrier to true customization. Shit that's absolutely procedural in its calculation, where the base rules for each item are so set in stone that nothing comes across too abusable, but if you learn the ins and outs of it, you can really put together something wicked in a scientific sense.
I'm just ranting though, I love Stalker, and I can't wait for this one. I just hope I don't have to wait for a mod to make this one playable. heh.

News Comments > Dungeon Lords Follow-up Details
6. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 23:36 Ludomancer

This guy is a nut. When he originally released the description for the first Dungeon Lords I thought I would die. It was the perfect game for me, fantasy action coop RPG. Awesome.
In action it was the single worst professionally developed title I have ever played. Completely broken. Design was epically bad. I love playing terrible games for fun, kind of like people who love B movies, but this one was so bad I never got more than 20 minutes into it.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky DX10 Footage
10. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2008, 01:04 Ludomancer

Do we have a DX10 version for non-Vista OS's yet?

News Comments > Crysis: No More Patches, Linux Server on Hold
29. Piracy Doesn't = Lost Sales Jun 1, 2008, 22:06 Ludomancer

In my particular case, I -pirated- borrowed the game from a friend, and that did cost them a sale. I played from beginning to end and after the whole experience I deemed it wasn't worth my money.
This is my personally preferred way I play games and make choices about which studios I support. I have found for over 30 years that I buy more games due to -piracy- borrowing them first from a friend, than otherwise, because it gives me almost limitless exposure to the medium and a good idea of what types of products that will appeal to my tastes.

/rant

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky Q&A
13. Re: question dodging May 29, 2008, 19:50 Ludomancer

The only way to play Stalker is with the Redux or Oblivion Lost mods. They overhaul the game completely and gave me some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

I don't know why the devs don't go strip the modifications from these projects and put them in their main game. You figure if your core audience of several hundred people spends years tweaking your game, they'd probably nail (and have) all the finer points they were going for in the first place.

Either way, I'll play Clear Sky as soon as someone mods some fun into it, just like the first. It's sad that our industry can only releasing good starting points for modders lately, instead of actual, finished products.

News Comments > Stronghold Crusader Extreme Ships
4. "extreme" May 29, 2008, 18:23 Ludomancer

That's nothing compared to the press release itself, it seems.
"...over a dozen sick-and-twisted challenges..."

Really? Are they really sick and twisted challenges? How does wording it like that make a fucking difference to the people reading the back of the box?

In all seriousness, what's this game all about? I have Stronghold 1 and 2, what's Crusader, an RTS in the same world? Is there any simulation at all?

News Comments > Far Cry 2 is Long
15. FarStalker May 29, 2008, 03:15 Ludomancer

Everything I've read on Far Cry 2 so far has made it sound like Stalker. If they tried to make it in the same mold as Stalker I could see them getting close to 50 hours. What most FPS's (shamlessly) do is chalk up all the hours it would take to play through the game on every difficulty, so a 10 hour game with 3 difficulty levels is magically 30 hours long! Marketting can suck my cock.
In this case though it sounds like there are multiple characters in FC2, so for sure they are counting the 50 hours of gameplay after playing with all characters. If there are 9 playable characters, just divide 50 by that...

I know as far as my experiences go, co-op often is capable of making even the worst games more fun than the best single player adventures.

Am I the only one who thinks that co-op is wholly overrated and can't compensate for poor AI, level design or shallow gameplay?

Somebody doesn't have any friends~!

News Comments > Gold - Lost Planet Extreme Condition COLONIES EDITION
8. Re: Urgh May 15, 2008, 07:57 Ludomancer

You mean this isn't the first port of this game to PC? What the hell, why bother?

"This is one of the most robust updates to a Platinum title ever!"

After reading that description, I'm not exactly excited. None of those features appeals to me. You get two throw-away modes that most games have built in from the start, and a cheat-mode for powered up weapons... What's going on here?

News Comments > Unbirth Born
6. Re: ? May 14, 2008, 02:26 Ludomancer

Yeah I loved that trailer back in the day.

What I'd absolutely die to see, is when DNF ships, it's actually *all* the versions of the game in one giant package, i.e. you start out using the DN3D engine, and every level uses progressively newer tech until the last sections of the game are up to par with the current visuals. A real Ed Wood of a video game, just all the crap they made over the last 10+ years lumped together to make ... something. Hahahahaha. That would be the BEST.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2008 Announced
15. Re: D3 May 12, 2008, 19:09 Ludomancer

"I would go if Diablo 3 were going to be announced..."

*cough*

This comment was edited on May 12, 19:09.

News Comments > On Mass Effect & Spore Copy Protection
133. Missing something May 6, 2008, 19:28 Ludomancer

Decisions like this aren't about copy protection in the end, they're about hooking you into EA's network permanently.
It's the same as Xbox live on the 360, and Steam. They will monitor your gameplay, maybe other things as well, and use it for marketting and research purposes. In a game like Spore it makes a little sense, because the game was essentially an anonymous MMO (connecting to the network to acquire new content from the vast amount of players), but I personally can't accept it with Mass Effect. Even though I beat my rented copy on the 360, I was planning on buying Mass Effect on the PC to support a great game and protest the consoles' unnecessary $60 price tags, but now it looks like they won't get their money from me after all.
I can't blame Bioware, but I feel bad for them, because this is obviously an EA decision through and through. Fuck them.

EDIT - @Darkhand - "I'm not buying GTAIV until it hits bargain prices because of in game ads." I don't recall any in-game ads from this game, actually. If there are, they are few and far between. I hold Rockstar in the highest regard for GTA4 specifically because they passed up on so many chances to use in-game ads, and instead opted for their tried-and-true lampooning of our consumerist culture. Every billboard and display I saw in the game boasted a parody of real-life, so I give them props for that.

This comment was edited on May 6, 19:31.

News Comments > Exodus From The Earth Announced
3. Re: No subject Apr 28, 2008, 17:30 Ludomancer

The company page says they're a "self funded development company based in the USA with the development team in russia". Weird.

News Comments > Age of Conan Presales
15. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 21:46 Ludomancer

"I am excited for this game, it may suck but it may not. Most or all MMO's launch with bugs and missing features..."

That's just complacent consumerism, man. If gamers actually punished companies for releasing unfinished products by not buying into them, we might actually see a rise in quality of entertainment, and MMO's that were actually *not* shit when they came out.

News Comments > Gothic 3 Expansion Announced
10. Re: G3 Apr 14, 2008, 15:19 Ludomancer

I wonder what kind of differences it would make if every fan of a series who complained in a forum actually took time to send the complaints t the company responsible? Do you guys ever write jowood directly? I read your comments, and feel like they should really be seeing every one of them. Otherwise how will they know how their fanbase sees them?
But regardless, yeah, Jowood is a shitty publisher, and this stuff just makes me sad.

News Comments > BioShock, Civ MMOGs?
7. Re: Please.... Mar 26, 2008, 19:52 Ludomancer

A civilization online game would be phenomenal if done right. The only thing Bioshock ever had going for it though was it's art direction and atmosphere. There is really nothing there aside from that. It's funny to see these publishers hemming and hawing about everyone wanting the same old thing, and then when one unique looking product does get released they want to spread it across every genre solely based on it's appearance! The people running this industry, do not understand this industry.

(edit - bioshock is a great game, but it's nothing new, that's all I meant. An online adaptation of system shock would be the exact same thing)

This comment was edited on Mar 26, 19:53.

News Comments > PC Assassin's Creed Extra Content
4. Re: Ooh Feb 6, 2008, 14:37 Ludomancer

As far as I know, the game's planned as a trilogy, each one taking place in a different era. The writing on the walls and floor at the end of the game is just supposed to tie them all together ahead of time because it's all references to myths and legends from different cultures around the world.

353 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo