Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Javier Nunez

Real Name Javier Nunez   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ludomancer
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 27, 2003, 21:29
Total Comments 365 (Amateur)
User ID 19515

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Sues over Assassin's Creed Leak
69. no subject Aug 7, 2008, 17:14 Ludomancer

As soon as the startup screen said "this game was developed by a team of multi ethnic, multi religious designers" I knew it was going to be pretty bad.

Ah, not at all man. Did you play the game? You play a muslim character who is combating the catholic crusades in his homeland. I don't think the game was that great, but they definitely had to put that little blurb at the beginning to let people know it wasn't created as some attack on one religion or another. I thought it was really responsible of them, actually. I also thought it was awesome that, despite the games major flaws, someone had the balls to deliver a story from that perspective, instead of dumbing it down for the masses.
Not enough games are critical enough of religion, politics and society today.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Art Director to Change, Art Direction to Stay
11. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 16:59 Ludomancer

Heh, not only did the Art Director leave, but so did the Lead Artist and 3 programmers, all on the same day.

As for the art direction, it's not just the colorful nature of the imagery that's a little off; their characters are also much more exaggerated and less gritty than the previous games.
The art is beautiful, but I was really impressed with Warcrafts graphics and this whole time had been waiting to see what this really talented team could do with the Diablo setting. Having them just take the low road kind of irks me too. They really do need to separate their franchises in more ways than just gameplay, otherwise they will all slowly become redundant and that's bad for the company.

News Comments > Ubisoft Sues over Assassin's Creed Leak
26. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 10:38 Ludomancer

Well, I always download PC games before I buy them. I want to play them first, and if I enjoy it I will buy it to support the studio. Have you ever tried to return an opened PC game? Have you seen a place in the last 20 years that rents them? Personally I don't consider demos to be a good reflection of the final product either.

Either way I'm sure people like me account for some of those alleged 700k downloads, but I'm sure like you guys have already said, the rest of those folks wouldn't have bought the game in the first place. Piracy isn't a bad thing, it just gives more control to the consumer, who is already at the mercy of industry.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 10:39.

News Comments > Cross-Platform GTA4 Multiplayer?
13. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 07:27 Ludomancer

...and GFW Live is free now, so there is no reason not to play.

Other than the fact that you're essentially installing a windows component that monitors everything you do... Fucking spyware, basically.

I hope there's an option for multiplayer without this Windows Live bullshit.

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising Trailer
5. Rising! Aug 4, 2008, 10:51 Ludomancer

Anyone else sick of games "rising"?

News Comments > Ghostbusters Slimed?
7. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 10:49 Ludomancer

It would be a good thing for Ghostbusters to be canned. Every piece of footage I've seen of it makes it look terrible. They couldn't even hide the bugs in one of their official trailers for it. It made it look just like what I was afraid it would be - terrible game with nostalgia sprinkled on top.

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Gold Refunds
13. "Unangst" Jul 24, 2008, 13:50 Ludomancer

I love this guys name, "Unangst". Is that his name because he's the official damage control guy?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: No subject Jul 18, 2008, 10:47 Ludomancer

I wonder if there would be such interest in this movie if Ledger didn't end up six feet under.

DOH! Mark your spoilers!!!

News Comments > HanbitSoft on Flagship
20. No subject Jul 17, 2008, 13:50 Ludomancer

...but were only looking for personal gain. Firing all of the Flagship employees in order to protect the personal interests of its founding members only shows how selfish and irresponsible they are.

That's the entire game industry in a nutshell. Someone call me when we get people to run the show that aren't greed-infested fucktards.

News Comments > WAR Feature Cuts & Mythic Name Reverts
8. Re: so. Jul 12, 2008, 08:20 Ludomancer

I cant believe how badly they just shot this game in the foot. Removing content from an MMO to make a launch date? Despite Mythic being in the MMO business since the beginning, they sure don't seem to understand what makes a successful one.
Either someone got sick of funding the thing and forced them to do this, or they know now that it's a waste of time to finish anymore because it's going to tank, and have decided to try and get back as much capital as they can before killing it outright and moving on to the next project.

News Comments > Activation Blizzard Consummated
3. Re: No subject Jul 10, 2008, 10:28 Ludomancer

pure-play

What does that even mean?

News Comments > Ignition's Unreal-engine FPS
7. Re: ... Jul 7, 2008, 17:27 Ludomancer

UE3 SUCKS to work with

I have to disagree with you there. I'm a professional developer, and I can attest to the fact that UE3 is the best set of tools to work with in the history of this industry. Never has there been as powerful and complete a package as the UE3 engine.
I've worked with Renderware, NetImmerse (Gamebryo), Infinity, Torque, all of Id's Technology beginning with Doom 1, a smattering of open source engines, and probably a dozen studios proprietary tools from A-Z for over 15 years. The UE3 engine completely owns them all. It may not be as flexible as some, but as long as you're not trying to make GTA with it there is absolutely nothing else out there worth a mother fuckin' shit.

Just my $.02.

News Comments > Ignition's Unreal-engine FPS
1. No subject Jul 7, 2008, 14:27 Ludomancer

“Ignition Florida is yet another studio paying us large amounts of capital to license our technology” said Mark Rein, Vice President, Epic Games. “It's my duty to speak largely of their capabilities, verifiable or not, in order to ensure the future projects based on our engine turn a profit and guarantee our own longevity.”

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky Details
14. Re: No subject Jun 27, 2008, 04:23 Ludomancer

That comment is so wrong on so many levels.

It really is, isn't it? It frustrates me to no end how all my favorite PC games lately have needed the players to pick up the slack and make them reach their minimum true potential. Nearly all of them!
To this date no one has even gotten Oblivions stupid, lazy excuse for a user interface anywhere near the functionality of a typical PC game's GUI. Ridiculous.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 04:23.

5. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 21:57 Ludomancer

There are a couple mods that add cars back in. They're great fun. This is one of those games where you really do need fan-made mods to enjoy it to the fullest.

News Comments > John Carmack Q&A
4. Re: He is totally wrong. Jun 26, 2008, 21:51 Ludomancer

There was no open world in Crysis. The entire game was a linear set of level after level. You've been smokin', haven't you!?
Crysis was a decent shooter. The nanosuit was fun to play with. The engine itself is phenomenal but beyond that there's nothing groundbreaking about it. Name one thing?
Same with World of Warcraft, it's a generic MMO with great art direction, background history and an easy leveling curve. It features nothing different outside of the direction of the rest of the genre.
This "future of PC/console gaming" thing is stupid. They're literally the same thing with different alternatives for input and a slightly more dynamic hardware configuration and more freedom on the PC side.
As far as game design goes Carmack is falling a bit behind in terms of actual successes with his recent games, but he's got the right idea with his direction. Simple gameplay rulesystems are the way to go. Just looking at the most complex game you can think of you'll see it's just a composition of many different simple game mechanics used together. Who knows what this Quake Live will be like, but the important thing is to continue to differentiate the PC platform from consoles, so we don't lose that freedom or dynamic of upgradability.
Oh, and casual gaming is myth. They're just games of a different genre, fuck their stupid buzzwords. Tetris was a "casual game" before there were casual games.

3. Re: No subject Jun 26, 2008, 21:39 Ludomancer

I hope it really is extensive, and not just a few clip-on items like the original. These games need to break through the barrier to true customization. Shit that's absolutely procedural in its calculation, where the base rules for each item are so set in stone that nothing comes across too abusable, but if you learn the ins and outs of it, you can really put together something wicked in a scientific sense.
I'm just ranting though, I love Stalker, and I can't wait for this one. I just hope I don't have to wait for a mod to make this one playable. heh.

News Comments > Dungeon Lords Follow-up Details
6. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 23:36 Ludomancer

This guy is a nut. When he originally released the description for the first Dungeon Lords I thought I would die. It was the perfect game for me, fantasy action coop RPG. Awesome.
In action it was the single worst professionally developed title I have ever played. Completely broken. Design was epically bad. I love playing terrible games for fun, kind of like people who love B movies, but this one was so bad I never got more than 20 minutes into it.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky DX10 Footage
10. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2008, 01:04 Ludomancer

Do we have a DX10 version for non-Vista OS's yet?

News Comments > Crysis: No More Patches, Linux Server on Hold
29. Piracy Doesn't = Lost Sales Jun 1, 2008, 22:06 Ludomancer

In my particular case, I -pirated- borrowed the game from a friend, and that did cost them a sale. I played from beginning to end and after the whole experience I deemed it wasn't worth my money.
This is my personally preferred way I play games and make choices about which studios I support. I have found for over 30 years that I buy more games due to -piracy- borrowing them first from a friend, than otherwise, because it gives me almost limitless exposure to the medium and a good idea of what types of products that will appeal to my tastes.

/rant

365 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo