Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Javier Nunez

Real Name Javier Nunez   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ludomancer
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 27, 2003, 21:29
Total Comments 358 (Amateur)
User ID 19515

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Maxis: Spore Doesn't Need Demo, Does Need DRM
10. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2008, 22:50 Ludomancer

Hooray DRM! And that's precisely why I pirate games before buying...

Even worse for the developers... if a game has intrusive DRM, I'm way less likely to buy it simply because I feel my money is supporting such schemes.

Vote with your dollars folks!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gold - Spore
30. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 19:43 Ludomancer

@Beamer - Yeah that's what prompted my initial post as well. I wasn't given the impression during the initial demonstrations that there was much breadth to the game outside of what was displayed during that 20 minute run through. I don't think they've had enough time to give the world as much flexibility to maintain unique, repeated playthroughs, and the game doesn't' seem to have enough predetermined structure (i.e. sim city, Civ 4 tech trees, etc) to allow for player-chosen alternative forms of play. This game needed a really robust form of AI to accomplish the former, and I don't think they worked on that nearly as much as the procedural elements for the creatures display. Who knows though!

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Announced
7. Re: Awesome! Aug 14, 2008, 18:21 Ludomancer

Terra Nova was another phenomenal game that was largely overlooked. I spent hours on that one as well. The Tribes series of online games felt a lot like Terra Nova did, actually. That's the closest they've gotten though.

19. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 16:39 Ludomancer

Of course we're unsatisfied with unreleased games! We want to play them!

If you're satisfied with unreleased games, DNF must be your favorite title of all time.

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Announced
4. Re: Does anybody else... Aug 14, 2008, 16:38 Ludomancer

This is one of my favorite games of all time. I played it on my Amiga. Have since tried to get it to run on emulators but can't get it to work out. I hope this new one is good. There were a lot of fun things in this game.
I liked that the original had no story though, you were just left to figure things out on your own in this massive game world. I hope they don't spoil that part too much.

4. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 14:22 Ludomancer

Spore will be for most people like Sims was for non-Sims fans. You'll have an extremely good time for the first week, and after that you may fire it up once in a while 6-months or a year down the road, but it will lose it's sparkle really quick. There's not so much there to keep you interested for a long period of time.

News Comments > OpenGL 3.0 Specs Released, Unhappiness Ensues
10. Re: Square pegs, round holes Aug 12, 2008, 13:26 Ludomancer

Wonder what Carmack has to say about this. Isn't he on the OpenGl board or something? Rage and Doom is still slated to be developed on OpenGL, so I wouldn't worry too much about this.

I think Carmack jumped ship when he decided to focus on developing for consoles. Now he's all DX to make Xbox development easier.
I kind of miss 90's Carmack, who would smack talk the video card devs for shitty drivers, and push the API of his choice (OpenGL at the time) with an informed, technical argument that MS couldn't really fight.
Now he's just 180-Carmack, who seems to embrace whatever the large companies shove towards him. Sucks.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Space Siege
2. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2008, 08:38 Ludomancer

"...THRILLING...!"

...unleash your robot companion...

Deliciously phallic, I can't wait!!!

News Comments > Runic Rises from Sunken Flagship
20. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2008, 14:47 Ludomancer

LoL, I bet these guys wish they never left Blizzard now. Look where Blizzard is and where they are. Trying so hard to create a successful Blizzard clone. That usually fails about 99.9% of the time.

If memory serves, these guys were from the now defunct Blizzard North studio anyhow, so they'd all be seperated from blizzard either way.

News Comments > Runic Rises from Sunken Flagship
9. Re: No subject Aug 10, 2008, 07:30 Ludomancer

Like many titles from WildTangent, FATE automatically installs the WildTangent Web Driver in order to allow unlocking of the demo version and for applying updates. However, there is considerable debate among the community as to whether or not this program and its associated modules are actually spyware.

Huh, so like Steam, or Gametap, or most MMO's then.

News Comments > New Creative Labs ALchemy
9. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2008, 11:49 Ludomancer

Vista will always be a piece of shit.

I'm calling shill on D-Rock. No one with any technical sense supports that OS. Yeah that's a blanket statement, but I think it's a safe one.

"Progress", feh...

News Comments > UT3 PhysX Pack Info
6. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 04:31 Ludomancer

Is this something that requires separate physics processing? Or can I install it and still use it, having the calculations done on my CPU?

News Comments > Divine Divinity 2: Ego Draconis Revealed
17. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2008, 04:27 Ludomancer

Divine Divinity always reminded me more of Ultima 7, with the NPCs having their own schedules, a free-roaming world, day/night cycles, lots of places to poke your nose into. They marketed it as a Diablo clone and I never really understood why other than it was the only other most recent, similar game.
Either way, always felt calling it Diablo actually did it an injustice, as Divinity is much more of an RPG, whereas Diablo is just an action game with leveling, really.

News Comments > Ubisoft Sues over Assassin's Creed Leak
69. no subject Aug 7, 2008, 17:14 Ludomancer

As soon as the startup screen said "this game was developed by a team of multi ethnic, multi religious designers" I knew it was going to be pretty bad.

Ah, not at all man. Did you play the game? You play a muslim character who is combating the catholic crusades in his homeland. I don't think the game was that great, but they definitely had to put that little blurb at the beginning to let people know it wasn't created as some attack on one religion or another. I thought it was really responsible of them, actually. I also thought it was awesome that, despite the games major flaws, someone had the balls to deliver a story from that perspective, instead of dumbing it down for the masses.
Not enough games are critical enough of religion, politics and society today.

News Comments > Diablo III Art Director to Change, Art Direction to Stay
11. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 16:59 Ludomancer

Heh, not only did the Art Director leave, but so did the Lead Artist and 3 programmers, all on the same day.

As for the art direction, it's not just the colorful nature of the imagery that's a little off; their characters are also much more exaggerated and less gritty than the previous games.
The art is beautiful, but I was really impressed with Warcrafts graphics and this whole time had been waiting to see what this really talented team could do with the Diablo setting. Having them just take the low road kind of irks me too. They really do need to separate their franchises in more ways than just gameplay, otherwise they will all slowly become redundant and that's bad for the company.

News Comments > Ubisoft Sues over Assassin's Creed Leak
26. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 10:38 Ludomancer

Well, I always download PC games before I buy them. I want to play them first, and if I enjoy it I will buy it to support the studio. Have you ever tried to return an opened PC game? Have you seen a place in the last 20 years that rents them? Personally I don't consider demos to be a good reflection of the final product either.

Either way I'm sure people like me account for some of those alleged 700k downloads, but I'm sure like you guys have already said, the rest of those folks wouldn't have bought the game in the first place. Piracy isn't a bad thing, it just gives more control to the consumer, who is already at the mercy of industry.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 10:39.

News Comments > Cross-Platform GTA4 Multiplayer?
13. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2008, 07:27 Ludomancer

...and GFW Live is free now, so there is no reason not to play.

Other than the fact that you're essentially installing a windows component that monitors everything you do... Fucking spyware, basically.

I hope there's an option for multiplayer without this Windows Live bullshit.

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising Trailer
5. Rising! Aug 4, 2008, 10:51 Ludomancer

Anyone else sick of games "rising"?

News Comments > Ghostbusters Slimed?
7. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2008, 10:49 Ludomancer

It would be a good thing for Ghostbusters to be canned. Every piece of footage I've seen of it makes it look terrible. They couldn't even hide the bugs in one of their official trailers for it. It made it look just like what I was afraid it would be - terrible game with nostalgia sprinkled on top.

News Comments > Games for Windows LIVE Gold Refunds
13. "Unangst" Jul 24, 2008, 13:50 Ludomancer

I love this guys name, "Unangst". Is that his name because he's the official damage control guy?

358 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo