Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Javier Nunez

Real Name Javier Nunez   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ludomancer
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 27, 2003, 21:29
Total Comments 353 (Amateur)
User ID 19515

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > GTA4 to "Revitalize" GFW Live?
2. No subject Sep 23, 2008, 10:09 Ludomancer

Grand Theft Auto IV ... will revitalize ...the Games for Windows program

Translation: GTA4 will be another attempt at forcing users into an unnecessary and unwanted partnership with Microsoft.

So basically... GTA4 multiplayer is kind of fucked. Hooray!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
11. Re: No subject Sep 21, 2008, 21:31 Ludomancer

What breaks my heart is that a buddy of mine worked on the game, and said the development during that project was HELLISH. He's an industry vet too, and he ended up finding other work before the end of the project.
He's an easy going guy, very mellow, but very intelligent and experienced. He was irate when he left Lucasarts, saying uncharacteristic things like "Fuck them. Fuck that game." etc.
I feel really badly that the game ended up doing well in sales because of how much my friend tells me the made the dev team complete slaves to get it out the door. Fucking pisses me off that developers will still cash in after treating their studio so poorly, because it does nothing to discourage the state of working in the industry in the long-run.

News Comments > New Mount & Blade
9. Re: No subject Sep 20, 2008, 21:37 Ludomancer

...It takes a big man to put up with shit and handle it professionally

From looking at your posts, I don't think that word means what you think it means.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 21:38.

News Comments > OpenGL Freed
1. Wishes Sep 19, 2008, 20:40 Ludomancer

I wish OpenGL would become a popular API again. The industry really shafted itself with DirectX, letting it become a closed standard and then watching as Microsoft used it to force people where they wanted. (Vista)

I guess the powers that be behind OpenGL are slightly to blame too though...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
5. Re: No subject Sep 15, 2008, 23:41 Ludomancer

I've put about 2 hours into the game so far. Brutally hard. If you love realistic difficulty, you will love this game. Very hard.
I have only had one bug so far, surprisingly a bluescreen. Otherwise the game is good. They put you through a couple linear "stages" at the beginning, but then thankfully the game opens up into it's usual open-ended style. It seems to expand on this in some ways by having each area (as far as I can tell) have it's own dynamic set of events going when you enter them. That has good and bad points, but too much to go into here.
The only "negative" impression is the performance. I'm running a 7800GTX card, and the game is shit on my system. I have never seen such bad performance from a game, but I don't feel it's the game's fault. You have to figure it features fully dynamic HDRI, so... go figure. I will see how it goes when I get a new card. Otherwise it runs fantastic when the render engine is set to "All Static Shadows" (or whatever the lowest rendering setting is), but at "Maximum Detail".

For Overon - I downloaded the 1.0004 patch for my retail version tonight. On the same page was another patch for the "online" version (or something similar), so I can only assume they released a patch for both boxed and online distro's at the same time.

I really like the Stalker games because I understand what the developers are trying to make. I typically pirate every game before buying to see what it will be like, but I generally purchase the Stalker games right away just to support these guys. That's rare for me, but knowing that might make a difference for you.

News Comments > Gold - X: Terran Conflict
3. Re: Steam Sep 11, 2008, 11:00 Ludomancer

I had fun in X3, but I really want to fly into planet atmosphere and over landmasses. Constructing on planets would be lots of fun, and would extend the game exponentially.

News Comments > Ensemble Closing?
5. Re: ... Sep 9, 2008, 18:59 Ludomancer

Overon -
That's the way that publishers and most upper management would like it to be. However the incentive is never, ever provided for workers to embrace such a system. Usually layoffs on a grand scale are a tell tale sign of the industry's biggest professional scar, which is complete mismanagement. It's amazing you can have such screw-ups on such a massive scale, but I've worked all over the industry for more than 10 years and that's what it comes down to.
There are a few great companies that have their heads on straight, but the vast majority of the industry is a bunch of mother fuckers who just scrape up as much cash as they can and leave their employees jobless time and again.

News Comments > Tyranids in Dawn of War II
27. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 18:54 Ludomancer

Haha, wow, yeah guys. Sorry! Next time I'll follow up my stupid comments with a </sarcasm>, but YES that was most definitely the tone I was going for. (Hence winky-face followed by "In all seriousness..")

News Comments > Tyranids in Dawn of War II
17. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2008, 17:40 Ludomancer

It's amazing how much Warhammer 40,000 was ripped off by Blizzard for StarCraft. Those Tyranids look dead-on like the Zerg.

Hate to break it to you guy, but Starcraft came out WAY before this "Dawn of War" business. (Duh!) Not to mention... anyone see those Warhammer Online screenshots? Whoa! Can anyone say "Let's make it look just like WarCRAFT!" PSH!

In all seriousness, yeah Blizzard really did dig into their property (warhammers) when they were looking for inspiration. Strangely though, there were tons of Warhammer 40k games out around that time, though mostly turn-based. <shrug>

News Comments > Far Cry 2 in "Only Two Months"
47. Re: piracy Aug 19, 2008, 02:48 Ludomancer

Pumas got it right.

One thing to add, specifically directed to BK - "Law", is an entirely subjective concept.

38. Re: I got an idea... Aug 19, 2008, 00:50 Ludomancer

A reimbursement system where a producer is paid for his work spurs continued innovation. Circumventing the system eliminates innovation.

This isn't a reimbursement system though. You have to pay before you can acquire/try the product, and you don't get a refund if you don't like it.
Either way, I'm not exactly making the argument that piracy is acceptable because copying bits doesn't cost any resources for the provider. What I am saying is that piracy is acceptable as a method of previewing a product before purchase.

As consumers I don't think there is a single argument you can make against having the right for making an informed purchase. The real issue are people who will pirate regardless of their intent on purchasing or not.

However, I don't feel that's as much of an issue because people who pirate regardless largely do not intend to purchase the product anyhow.

The reason I don't see this as big an issue is because of the alternative, which is that all publishers provide full closure of their products quality in the form of sampling it before buying.

The reason I don't believe in this alternative is because, in the current state of our industry, 1) you cannot trust marketing, and 2) demos are far too often not a true reflection of the end product.

So, there is really no chance for a truly informed purchase given to you by the provider, and you end up with the current situation at hand, where end users force the publisher/developer to provide them with the product at the users whim, placing the publisher/developer at the mercy of the consumers judgment. It's a tug of war over control, plain and simple, but like I said before: piracy has been around as long as software has, and the industry is at it's highest point in human history.

Anyway, good work on bringing the thread back on topic SirKnight!

<edit edit edit for clarity>

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 00:57.

32. Re: I got an idea... Aug 18, 2008, 23:59 Ludomancer

So... For the BK and Car analogies, you guys are missing a pretty large issue there - you can't duplicate the molecular structure of a burger or vette, thereby cloning a completely new item with no material loss to the vendor. If you could, you wouldn't really be "stealing" anything, would you. That's kind of a key difference in this argument.

As for the reasons developers/publishers are "turning their backs on PC Gamers": it's an issue of control. Consoles allow more control over the end user, piracy is a minor issue in the long run. Piracy has always existed, yet the software industry as a whole is as strong as ever.
What publishers want is to bake the entire distribution model down to the simplicity of TV channels, where users are monitored for what they play, commercials and ads are shown at regular rates, and content is controlled by a select few behind the service.
We're seeing a similar theme with the RIAA suing people for music distribution. Piracy is a minor issue; what they want is control over what the end user is exposed to, so they can effectively channel their marketing and predict their sales and profits every cycle. They get pissed when people go out and find genres that weren't intended to be released in their region, or find superior entertainment from a non-publisher provided source.

News Comments > Bionic Commando Trailer
10. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2008, 18:27 Ludomancer

Honestly, I always felt a jump button was missing from the game as well. However, you have to accept that if the original Bionic Commando had a jump, the stages would be designed around that. Just adding that mechanic in with the existing design would make it too easy, but if the level design accounted for that you'd just get the same game with slightly more control.

4. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2008, 10:20 Ludomancer

Yeah, the original Bionic Commando didn't have a jump either. From looking at the footage of it I'd say they were trying to keep it exactly the same as the NES version, with only a graphical overhaul.

2. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2008, 07:27 Ludomancer

That looks like so much fun it's silly. I have heard the controls are pretty hard at first, but if mastering them gives you a pretty wide variety of options for certain scenarios, this will be a classic.
There's another video on the Gamershell website showing the multiplayer gameplay as well.

News Comments > Maxis: Spore Doesn't Need Demo, Does Need DRM
10. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2008, 22:50 Ludomancer

Hooray DRM! And that's precisely why I pirate games before buying...

Even worse for the developers... if a game has intrusive DRM, I'm way less likely to buy it simply because I feel my money is supporting such schemes.

Vote with your dollars folks!

News Comments > Gold - Spore
30. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 19:43 Ludomancer

@Beamer - Yeah that's what prompted my initial post as well. I wasn't given the impression during the initial demonstrations that there was much breadth to the game outside of what was displayed during that 20 minute run through. I don't think they've had enough time to give the world as much flexibility to maintain unique, repeated playthroughs, and the game doesn't' seem to have enough predetermined structure (i.e. sim city, Civ 4 tech trees, etc) to allow for player-chosen alternative forms of play. This game needed a really robust form of AI to accomplish the former, and I don't think they worked on that nearly as much as the procedural elements for the creatures display. Who knows though!

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Announced
7. Re: Awesome! Aug 14, 2008, 18:21 Ludomancer

Terra Nova was another phenomenal game that was largely overlooked. I spent hours on that one as well. The Tribes series of online games felt a lot like Terra Nova did, actually. That's the closest they've gotten though.

News Comments > Gold - Spore
19. Re: No subject Aug 14, 2008, 16:39 Ludomancer

Of course we're unsatisfied with unreleased games! We want to play them!

If you're satisfied with unreleased games, DNF must be your favorite title of all time.

News Comments > Carrier Command: Gaea Mission Announced
4. Re: Does anybody else... Aug 14, 2008, 16:38 Ludomancer

This is one of my favorite games of all time. I played it on my Amiga. Have since tried to get it to run on emulators but can't get it to work out. I hope this new one is good. There were a lot of fun things in this game.
I liked that the original had no story though, you were just left to figure things out on your own in this massive game world. I hope they don't spoil that part too much.

353 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo