Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Javier Nunez

Real Name Javier Nunez   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ludomancer
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 27, 2003, 21:29
Total Comments 367 (Amateur)
User ID 19515

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > New Gratuitous Space Battles DLC
5. Re: New Gratuitous Space Battles DLC Feb 27, 2010, 18:04 Ludomancer

Surf wrote on Feb 27, 2010, 15:02:
How many people bought this game? Like 5? I thought it sucked ass only because I had no control of the ships once the battle commenced. If he/they added that it would be cool.

That just means you missed the point. That's not what kind of game it is.

Still, I passed on the DLC for this. The base game gave me some fun times, but I wasn't able to see the differences that would come out of a few new weapons and classes of ships. There are already a ridiculous number of options in the game.

For anyone who's played this and its addons, how is the balance? Does it change? Can you effectively overcome an opponents scenario that uses the DLC additions, with only the base ships and items? I'd love to know how far the designers went in keeping up the extremely refined design, if at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Divinity II: Ego Draconis Trailer
9. Re: Divinity II: Ego Draconis Trailer Dec 23, 2009, 23:51 Ludomancer

Yeah, I think the visuals are nice, just "off", like so many other aspects of this game.

No matter what the framerate is choppy. Fortunately on all the machines I've played it on it's not nearly as choppy as Icewinds youtube post. Even when I run it on a machine with a 4870X2 and 16GB of ram, it never felt as though it made it over 10fps.

In the end though this game is killing me to play the full version. It feels almost like this bizarre European take on a final fantasy game. Such a bizarre hybrid and nothing like what I was expecting from this studio. I haven't paid much attention to the news regarding this project, but I was really under the impression that they were supposed to go back to the Divinity 1 style of game. I can't imagine something still qualifying as an RPG and being anything further from Divinity 1 than this game is... Heh.

News Comments > Gratuitous Space Battles Add-on Details
6. Re: Game Reviews Nov 22, 2009, 15:40 Ludomancer

"Shitty top down shooter..."

There's two dudes in this forum who haven't even played the game...

Anyway, what I really want for this is more flexible AI, maybe even the ability to script AI yourself. That would really set this game apart for me.
It was pretty easy to overcome all the scenarios in the initial offering, you just build your ships, attack, if you lose you say "oh, guess I need X-weapon/shield instead", put it on there and retry. Not enough of actual problem solving.
The initial AI offerings were beginning to be interesting, but I really want to do more than control the range of engagement and universal behavior. I'd love to set more complex instructions like switching behavior mid-fight. Like 50% armor remaining = retreat to nearest Protector-AI ship, or ships that flank only, but within certain parameters.
I don't know, but yeah, direct control...? Go play your starcraft kid, this is an admirals game.

News Comments > New FRAPS Adds Win7 Support
4. Re: New FRAPS Adds Win7 Support Nov 7, 2009, 15:24 Ludomancer

The trick, everybody, is to NOT support Windows 7.

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles
20. Re: Spaceships Ahoy - Gratuitous Space Battles Nov 4, 2009, 21:20 Ludomancer

I look forward to seeing this on steam

Fuck Steam, what are you, stupid? The game is available now with NO DRM. Why would you wait until it's locked down for you to buy it?

News Comments > Legie Ships; Demo Released
2. Re: Legie Ships; Demo Released Oct 10, 2009, 01:20 Ludomancer

I could be mistaken, but I'm relatively certain that some of the music, and a lot of the icons and some other art are taken from other games.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Red Faction: Guerrilla
17. Live? Sep 15, 2009, 18:38 Ludomancer

...Games for Windows - LIVE edition of...

Is this one of those trainwrecks that REQUIRE that fucking MS Live bullshit to be installed? If so, fuck this.

News Comments > Merchants of Brooklyn Patched
1. Re: Merchants of Brooklyn Patched Mar 24, 2009, 22:04 Ludomancer

I met some of the dev team from this studio a few years back. Their "Lead Artist" was fresh out of school, crappy demo-reel and all. Not a very impressive studio.  

News Comments > Activision & LucasArts Re-up
2. Re: Activision & LucasArts Re-up Mar 6, 2009, 09:14 Ludomancer

... Pretty certain the term "re-up" is something my dealer uses when he's talking about reloading his stash...

Just sayin'...

News Comments > THQ in Trouble?
6. Re: THQ in Trouble? Mar 4, 2009, 07:26 Ludomancer

I'd much rather Relic take it's chances with Ubisoft or EA than that sillyness.

Yeah, we never thought we'd live to see the day that another publisher made EA look good!

News Comments > Terra Nova Retrospective
4. Re: Terra Nova Retrospective Feb 27, 2009, 07:02 Ludomancer

I love this game so much. I always thought of it as a precursor to Tribes rather than anything else. Never considered it a mech game either.  

News Comments > MS: Windows 7 to be "Great for Games"
9. Dear Microsoft Feb 23, 2009, 11:35 Ludomancer

Fuck off and die already.  

News Comments > Layoffs at Black Box & ACES
4. Layoffs at Black Box & ACES... Jan 22, 2009, 21:07 Ludomancer

Layoffs at Black Box & ACES...
Makes sense, 'cause you know, these companies have hardly ANY money in the bank...

News Comments > TR Layoffs Confirmed; Lara's Makeover?
14. Re: TR Layoffs Confirmed; Lara's Makeover? Jan 11, 2009, 15:25 Ludomancer

The isn't bad. Everyone on the CD team knows it as well. Purportedly, they sold over 1.5 million copies, and only missed their projected sales by 10%! Ten-fucking-percent, and they lay off half the team.

Don't buy shit from these companies. Let them fucking sink. Studios that go along with this crap don't' deserve your money, and the employees they axe deserve to work for better companies anyhow.

News Comments > Tomb Raider Dev Layoffs?
15. Re: Tomb Raider Dev Layoffs? Jan 10, 2009, 08:15 Ludomancer

Are you telling me that this many companies are this badly managed?
Oh man, if you ONLY knew. I can think of... maybe 3 studios in the US that aren't completely fucked in terms of management. That is not an exaggeration.

The layoffs are a product of upper management/publishing siphoning up as much revenue they can get. I may work in this industry, but I also can't wait to see it implode upon itself. May everyone of those responsible for such greed die a fiery death.

News Comments > TribesNext
5. Re: TribesNext Jan 6, 2009, 11:20 Ludomancer

I prefer Tribes 1. If they could at least push that damn fog back a few miles in T2 I might give this a shot, otherwise "meh".

News Comments > Riddick Remake Plans Remade
12. Re: Confused Dec 3, 2008, 11:50 Ludomancer

I don't understand why they're "remaking" a game that's not even 5 years old. I actually just played Butcher Bay for the first time a month or two ago, and it stands up just fine to today's visuals.

They could release it as "Butcher Bay Gold" and no one would think any different. What brought this about?

News Comments > On Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods Bugs
6. Re: On Gothic 3 : Forsaken Gods Bugs Nov 28, 2008, 18:59 Ludomancer

I never had many problems with Gothic 1 or 2. 3 was the real bug-fest.

Then again it's one of my favorite series, and I could just be mis-remembering 1&2 due to the bugs in 3 overshadowing it's predecessors.

Still, great games, but bad development. Wish Piranha kept the rights though. No studio should ever be stripped of it's original property or ideas. If anything the publisher should drop them, hire another dev, and get to work competing with them.

News Comments > MMA Fighter Cut over Game Deal - Updated
4. Re: MMA Fighter Cut over Game Deal Nov 21, 2008, 11:09 Ludomancer

I think the reality is... A lot of people hate businessmen.

Can't say I disagree with that.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Spore Creepy & Cute Parts Pack
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Spore Creepy & Cute Par Nov 19, 2008, 10:53 Ludomancer

They're trying to do the Sims model for this one by selling crap content add-ons. I find it hilarious that they don't even know they made a game where that was totally unnecessary for the end user.

What they need to do is expand on the gameplay from this sorely linear experience. Let the player stay in the water, or any other age, for an indefinite amount of time, and have that wonderful "procedural" engine grow in on itself to create really unique experiences. Unfortunately they just turned it into a staged experience, with no real actual sandbox gameplay outside of choosing where to do the same things over and over again.

This is going to tank, but it's okay! EA will just lay off a few hundred folks for "their" failure, and all will be right with the world again.

367 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo