Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Javier Nunez

Real Name Javier Nunez   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ludomancer
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 27, 2003, 21:29
Total Comments 358 (Amateur)
User ID 19515

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

News Comments > Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Released
11. Re: Path of Exile: Forsaken Masters Released Aug 21, 2014, 14:46 Ludomancer

Yep, fuck ads. Adblock + NoScript = not having seen advertisements of any kind in over a decade.

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 14:27:
Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 14:09:
I would gladly watch their trailer, but they seem to think that forcing me to watch a fucking commercial of some bint rubbing ointment on a baby is a good way for me to spend my time.

Fuck you, whichever shitty video outfit this video got linked from.

GameTrailers has definitely gone downhill since Spike bought them out, but my god, man, you need yourself some adblock. I see zero commercials in front of flash videos, no matter where they're from.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Divinia Chronicles: Relics of Gan-Ti
1. Re: Divinia Chronicles: Relics of Gan-Ti Aug 19, 2014, 10:46 Ludomancer

Huh... Unfortunately their new name caused me to think this was something from Larian's Divinity series instead!  

News Comments > Gwent: Witcher 3's Embedded Card Game
1. Re: Gwent: Witcher 3's Embedded Card Game Aug 15, 2014, 15:59 Ludomancer

Oh goodie, revisiting the pubescent age of 32-bit Final Fantasies all over again!

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
48. Re: Into the Black Aug 3, 2014, 22:20 Ludomancer

[quote=
This may surprise you but it doesn't make sense to use fictitious future events as evidence for a current opinion. You call his opinion proof of an absence of taste, yours is proof of an absence of logic.
These "fictitious future events" don't come out of nowhere. Generally opinions against giving your money to those promising great things with very little to show come from personal history and experience, and we have a lot of history and experience to show that you have to be a fucking idiot to throw 150% the current cost, of an already-inflated game price, at a product that's not complete.

If you watch the industry at all you'd know how much money gets sunk into producing non-development aspects such as marketing, which if memory serves has been 80-90% of what these people have produced (forums, community management, a regular video 'interview' series, and lots of cinematics).

None of you will listen though. The game may even be a success, but that doesn't mean you have the foresight to predict good things and throw your money at them. If anything in this case it could very well mean hack-developers can cobble together something passable from a community of optimistic suckers, and succeed by letting said suckers feel good about it by patting themselves on the back and shitting on competitors.

I haven't bought either of these mentioned products, I'm just a voice of reason that you won't listen to because you're too desperate for a nostalgic distraction from the shit day-jobs you were tricked into for the duration of your time on this planet.

Weigh your decisions with the evidence of history and the wisdom to project the outcome from past events.

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added
23. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Expands; New Ship Added Aug 3, 2014, 17:01 Ludomancer

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2014, 15:28:
90 bucks. Giggle

Fools and their money.

Then they fight over which one is better to feel justified about their ridiculous waste of resources. Blows my mind how much these games cost. Call me when they're done.

News Comments > Mass Effect 4 Survey
22. Re: Mass Effect 4 Survey Jul 15, 2014, 20:21 Ludomancer

...soliciting opinions on what gamers want from Mass Effect 4

I don't. Learn to make a game in beautiful, self-contained universe and narrative, and then move on.

Capitalism has retarded this artform enough.

News Comments > Gearbox Announces "Hero Shooter" Battleborn
2. Re: Gearbox Announces Jul 8, 2014, 13:12 Ludomancer

So basically.... someone at Gearbox has been playing too much DOTA and LOL?

The character designs here are kind of hideous and amateurish.

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Update This Week; How to Play in 3D
6. Re: Dwarf Fortress Update This Week; How to Play in 3D Jul 7, 2014, 12:00 Ludomancer

Don't mistake the shit-UI as being a product of the ascii visuals. You can have perfectly usable ascii interfaces. The DF developers just... I have no idea. They're just completely ignorant of how to develop a user-interface, and made it clear over time that, worse, they're too egotistical to listen to others' input.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Z
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Z Jul 4, 2014, 19:58 Ludomancer

It's shaky legal ground to implement emulation features in a project, and entirely not financially sound to implement such features yourself on a per-game basis. I haven't played the game. I said below that I never even played the original. Despite that.
GOG is a beneficial force for individuals freedom, if you excuse some of their pricing.
At the same time, in contrast to this release, most of their other retro games don't have modern features, yet they run on a perfectly customizable DOSbox client, so in many ways they do for the technically savvy.
Overall, this does look like a sub-par release, but only if you hold it up to recent re-releases like the Baldurs Gate retrofit and whatnot.

This is the great thing about GOG. It's relatively easy to find their releases via torrent. If you're a responsible individual and not a piece of shit, I recommend checking these games out before you buy them.

It's a consumers right to see what they're getting before they buy into it, but likewise you should always pay a fair value for something that meets even a minor quota of your expectation.

shihonage wrote on Jul 4, 2014, 19:10:
STAY AWAY. This is a weak-ass rewrite. You're better off using GOG version or whatever. At least with emulators you get options on screen resolution and scaling. Nothing of the kind is present here.

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Z Jul 4, 2014, 18:30 Ludomancer

UConnBBall wrote on Jul 4, 2014, 14:45:
GOG needs to buy Kali (http://www.kali.net/) I remember back int he day it was the place to play. Then it was The Zone till M$ closed it for no good reason. Then dumb GameSpy showed up and made the experiences worst.

I remember Kali. Was the only service that allowed early Doom connectivity remotely. Miss those days. That's a service that deserved to grow further, just for what it gave the community back then. (They probably just failed to evolve).

Scheherazade wrote on Jul 4, 2014, 14:06:
Warcraft 2 had IPX multiplayer from release.
I played it multiplayer over seripx on BBS' (BBS IPX emulator).

The internet was rather flaky back then, and IPX over IP wasn't too popular.
Some games did it, AFAIK Mechwarrior2 did? Or maybe that was IP over dial-up. Can't remember.

-scheherazade

Yeah I recall it having IPX, just not TCP/IP, which is the only thing I had the ability to connect to. (not enough individual, personal contacts, nor the ability to meet others, where I lived/grew up). If I recall, WC2 BNE enabled connectivity to strangers. Could be wrong though.

Used to be my favorite Warcraft as well, until a close friend of mine showed me exactly how overpowered an Ogre rush was. Don't think I've played the game since!

I do believe that Mechwarrior 2 had that capability.

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Z Jul 4, 2014, 11:55 Ludomancer

It looks like GOG has corrected the page to say Single Player only.

I think in that era, it was difficult to even get TCP/IP connections in a game (Warcraft 2 didn't have one until its re-release several years later). It was probably IPX only or something. If it did have LAN that is a little surprising they'd take it out, but who knows the difficulty they faced in updating it for modern machines...

I never played the game because I was always turned off by the box art.

News Comments > CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback
8. Re: CliffyB: Don't Call My Comeback a Comeback Jun 30, 2014, 19:48 Ludomancer

Dude was driving a Ferrari around at 20. He's been set for life for a very long time.  

News Comments > Hello Games "Would Like" to Bring No Man's Sky to PCs
17. Re: Hello Games Jun 25, 2014, 12:26 Ludomancer

Oh my god. This whole time I didn't realize this amazing, beautiful creation was being locked down into some idiot console! That is fucked!  

News Comments > MS: "We Are Continuing to Support the GFWL Service"
1. Re: MS: Jun 22, 2014, 12:47 Ludomancer

Dear Microsoft,

Please don't.

News Comments > Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month
7. Re: Dwarf Fortress Patch Next Month Jun 20, 2014, 13:55 Ludomancer

Is this the patch that adds a rational interface?  

News Comments > Star Citizen Arena Commander Released
39. Re: Star Citizen Arena Commander Released Jun 4, 2014, 11:38 Ludomancer

Quinn wrote on Jun 4, 2014, 11:25:
It's a complete clusterfuck in the visuals of course. Last I've seen graphics go crazy like that -- like the textures have no clue where to latch on so instead go nuts -- was with my Voodoo 3dfx card.

That's a sign that your card is overheating. Probably not serious, but you might want to keep an eye on that.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Announced
39. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 16:51 Ludomancer

Beckett wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:34:
If you enjoy behind-the-scenes game development stories, Rob Zacny's article about the development of Homefront is a really good read:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/1/3560318/homefront-kaos-studios-thq

For anyone who works in the game industry, this isn't a "really good read", it's the typical sob-story. The precedent has been set for decades that abusing developers is the status quo, and upper management has not changed an ounce since the whole practice was outed last century.

Developers need to quit jobs voluntarily, en masse, for things such as this. That's the only way it's going to change. Otherwise they are going to continue to slave away for what *seems like* large, 6-digit salaries, while executive management, investors and boards rake in the millions and then lay them off after burning them out.

The guy in this story dramatizes things well, but any developer without blinders on could drop a half-dozen or more stories like this any day of the week. It's pathetic.

News Comments > Homefront: The Revolution Announced
38. Re: Homefront: The Revolution Announced Jun 2, 2014, 16:33 Ludomancer

Welcome to the 1980s!

China has owned us for a very long time, and they have so thoroughly rooted our networks for more than a decade that the flip of a switch is the only step remaining.

DangerDog wrote on Jun 2, 2014, 11:12:

The joke is that China is taking over America by buying up one business at a time and our government is more than happy to assist them, including rewriting FDA rules to allow food to be processed in China and then sent back to the US without any need to label it as product of China. Smithfield Foods, largest pork producer in the US. Take a guess who just bought them up.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Car Hacking Video
2. Re: Watch Dogs Car Hacking Video May 29, 2014, 21:46 Ludomancer

sadly, there is also this.

This is not a game humans. You're fucked, you've enslaved yourselves, and now you're making video games about it.

News Comments > Mythic Entertainment Closed
12. Re: Mythic Entertainment Closed May 29, 2014, 20:58 Ludomancer

Cutter wrote on May 29, 2014, 18:58:
Fantaz wrote on May 29, 2014, 18:48:
seems like hard times in the game industry lately...

Are you kidding me? So many people are making huge bank right now. Sales just keep going up and up. Mythic has been irrelevant for years now. It's only a surprise they weren't closed long before now.

The last two years have been an absolute nightmare for the working professionals in the industry. The only people making "huge bank" right now are the board members of a few select companies. Salaries are higher than ever for developers, but does that really matter when the expected length of your employment is 6-10 months?

358 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo