Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2476 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Croteam on Windows 8 Issues
140. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 18, 2012, 11:28 wtf_man

NegaDeath wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 03:18:
Want to know whats really grinding my gears with 8? Aero glass is gone. Every other moronic decision they made is fixable with programs except that. What they have instead is bland, boring and flat. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does since its purely visual but every time I look at the screen it just looks wrong. "Leave the option in? Nah, we don't do the "options" thing anymore."

Edit: This makes me feel better

It amazes me that in that article MS is blaming OEMs "failing to deliver". They just don't get it... as well as the new shills posting here don't get it, either.

MOST DESKTOP USERS HATE THE TILE INTERFACE AND DON'T WANT IT FORCED ON THEM. PERIOD.

I mean, get a fucking clue.

...and yes, I put Win 8 on a test machine from my technet account and used it way more than a half an hour (several months, as a matter of fact, with different builds)... so don't give me that "gotta get used to it" bullshit. There is NO "getting used to it", if one outright HATES it. We're not going to deploy that piece of shit to over 1500 machines and confuse our users. We're steering clear of Server 2012 too. Everything is getting virtualized with VMWare, and more and more *nix is making its way into our data center. Microsoft is becoming irrelevant in what was a prominently dominant windows shop. Way to go Balmer and Team!!!

From MS's #1 Shill, Paul Thurrott (linked from the previous article)
Windows 8. Itís a floor wax. No, itís a dessert topping. Microsoftís new whatever-the-F-it-is operating system is a confusing, Frankensteinís monster mix of old and new that hides a great desktop upgrade under a crazy Metro front-end. Itís touch-first, as Microsoft says, but really itís touch whether you want it or not (or have it or not), and the firmís inability to give its own customers the choice to pick which UI they want is what really makes Windows 8 confounding to users. I actually like Windows 8 quite a bit and canít imagine switching back. But I do understand the complaints of customers who arenít getting what they wanted or asked for.

Even a shill knows that not having a choice in the UI is a major fuck up.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2012, 12:48.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: Wow... Nov 17, 2012, 23:37 wtf_man

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 20:08:
Anyone who thinks this exact kind of thing isn't coming to OS X is kidding themselves. Microsoft may have done it first but make no mistake, Apple wants in on this too. They can wait longer because they have a monopoly on the hardware market for their platform and have managed to convince people to overpay for hardware because tons of people just own Macs because they're fashionable but they want their cut of app sales on every platform just like Microsoft does.

I highly doubt it, and here's why... They have too many creative studios using OSX and software that runs on OSX, so OSX will always remain OSX.

What you are talking about... and what MAY happen... is they start introducing PURE IOS iMacs, Mac Minis, and Macbooks, all with touch screens. (except the mini)... eventually they'd phase out OSX like they did with OS9.

They will continue to add IOS-like features to OSX... but they aren't going to do what MS did to their OS (Basically pasting the mobile OS on top of the desktop). Once the IOS platform has enough horsepower in a majority of the devices... and professional apps start appearing... THAT is when they will phase out OSX... and that ain't gonna happen for several years.

42. Re: Wow... Nov 17, 2012, 19:19 wtf_man

Doombringer wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 19:10:
I'm seeing a lot of "gasp!" and "the sky is falling!" regarding Windows 8's "Metro" or RT apps...

I suppose it wouldn't be so shocking if Microsoft said "hey, it's like iOS. Get it?"

Because that's what it is. It's a walled garden. You can't install whatever you'd like on an iOS device, and yet, somehow Apple can't sell enough of them. People are eating them up. Did you think Microsoft *wasn't* going to want a piece of this?

IOS is not OSX.

Apple is not trying to put IOS on Macintosh Desktop computers.

What part of this are you not getting?

Sure, they have added some OPTIONAL IOS-like features to OSX (Mac app store, App launcher that looks like IOS launcher, and access to iCloud) But NONE of that is forced on you, like Metro is with Windows 8. OSX remains to be it's own Desktop OS.

39. Re: Croteam on Windows 8 Issues Nov 17, 2012, 19:10 wtf_man

StingingVelvet wrote on Nov 17, 2012, 18:03:
If the fears end up being well-founded then 7 is my last OS for gaming and I keep my machine for legacy purposes. If the fears are as paranoid as I hope they are then I will upgrade when 9 comes out, skipping over 8 like most people skipped Vista.

I pretty much said this the other day in another thread on Blues.

However, Since MS badly wants an App Store and has badly wanted to rent software to you for ages (Software as a Service)... between "The Cloud" and "App Stores", that is exactly the way computing is heading towards, and I highly Doubt Windows 9 will steer away from that direction.

News Comments > Jailed Bohemia Interactive Devs Denied Bail
18. Re: Jailed Bohemia Interactive Devs Denied Bail Nov 17, 2012, 13:27 wtf_man

I don't know about these two in Greece...

...but the Iranian shit (including the hikers from a couple of years ago)... If you are American... don't enter, or even go near a country that hates you for your nationality, DUMB ASSES. (Even if you have relatives there)

That's just fucking common sense.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P
27. Re: SWTOR F2P Nov 16, 2012, 13:44 wtf_man

D_K_night wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 12:35:
But it's a "demo" that allows you to complete the entire campaign from beginning to end. All the things you would have been able to do with a sub - you can still do, as F2P...it's just a bit more expensive or more time consuming.

Fair trade IMO when you get to play for free.

Obviously they need to entice people to pay somehow, but I believe that certain things that they are restricting is a turn off for most people... like 1 hotbar in a MMO that probably requires all 3. That's just utterly stupid.

For me personally... I have no interest in this game, so with or without the restrictions it doesn't matter much to me. However, if I ever were to get the urge to check it out... I would think that some of the restrictions would have to be lifted in order for me to give the game a fair evaluation.

EDIT: It looks like they changed it... instead of 1, it's 2 out of 6 or something. The point is GUI restrictions are pretty lame.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2012, 13:50.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P
17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Now F2P Nov 16, 2012, 12:25 wtf_man

sauron wrote on Nov 16, 2012, 11:07:
"I felt a minor disturbance in the Force, as if a few hundred Chinese Gold Farmers suddenly cried out in mild annoyance, and then returned to business as usual".

/ROFL

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Trailer
69. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Nov 14, 2012, 15:56 wtf_man

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 13:56:
Also, to everybody complaining about the graphics... This is a console trailer. Duh. Rolleyes

...And I get accused of being a graphics whore because I think minecraft is too fugly to play. Rolleyes

I'm a PC gamer and the GTAV trailer graphics look fine to me.

/shrug

News Comments > Ubisoft Pitching CliffyB?
9. Re: Ubisoft Pitching CliffyB? Nov 14, 2012, 12:18 wtf_man

w34sl3 wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 12:11:
After reading it all I can think of is the matrix....

Cliffy B picks up the phone and it rings...

Cliffy: Hello.
Morpheus: Hello, Cliffy. Do you know who this is?
Cliffy: Morpheus.
Morpheus: Yes. I've been looking for you, Cliffy. I don't know if you're ready to see what I want to show you, but unfortunately you and I have run out of time. They're coming for you, Cliffy, and I don't know what they're going to do...

heh

Way to make me root for Agent Smith!

News Comments > Ubisoft Pitching CliffyB?
5. Re: Ubisoft Pitching CliffyB? Nov 14, 2012, 10:31 wtf_man

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 14, 2012, 10:17:
His wiki page indicates he left Epic in October to "take a break" after 20 years of game making, since age 17. If that's true it would seem unlikely he'd be interested in joining Ubisoft. But whatever. Truthfully, prior to this news post I don't recall ever hearing his name before.

One would think so.

But maybe he lied about why he left Epic?

News Comments > AMD for Sale?
5. Re: AMD for Sale? Nov 13, 2012, 22:59 wtf_man

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 22:49:
I doubt that would even get past regulators to be honest.

Since intel has the most market share for their integrated crap... nVidia could probably get around the regulators on that alone. As far as professional graphics... I think Matrox and S3 are still around serving very niche markets like medical imagery. Basically... it looks possible... and would be like how they swallowed 3DFX.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 13, 2012, 22:37 wtf_man

I don't have a signature.

wtf?

News Comments > AMD for Sale?
1. Re: AMD for Sale? Nov 13, 2012, 21:59 wtf_man

Well... I hope ATi gets sold off to someone other than nVidia. Even though I mostly run nVidia... the last thing we need is for them to become a monopoly.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 16:23 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 15:46:
Plenty of people buy the iPad expecting a laptop replacement, too. Idiots. But Microsoft was particularly bad in explaining what RT was.

In general, Tablets can't replace Desktops for productivity. There are even some cases where laptops can't either (due to horsepower... engineering CAD workstations come to mind)

Surfing the Internet, doing some quick e-mails, getting some light entertainment (videos, mobile games, etc.) - Tablets do a fair job of replacing a laptop. Great for the airplane, and hotel rooms on family trips. Or just looking up stuff, while on your couch at home watching TV.

But full on business productivity? Perhaps if the business had a ton of custom apps and their own app store (which is how we manage IOS devices in our enterprise with Mas 360)... but that's a heavy investment in custom apps (which we don't have yet)... and that's still not the same productivity as office on a laptop. By the time one adds a bluetooth or attachable keyboard... one might as well have bought a laptop (Or an ultrabook).

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 13, 2012, 15:07 wtf_man

avianflu wrote on Nov 13, 2012, 14:31:
the metro interface should exist only on portable touch-screen devices.

It really is that simple.

A co-worker of mine has a Windows Phone (It's 7.5 but still has the fugly tile interface). I don't see the appeal at all, after messing with it for a while. I guess that is just personal preference. I'll stick to my iPhone, and go Andriod if Apple ends up pissing me off.

That said... with MS trying to compete in that market (and being late to the game, as usual) I agree that they need to keep that crap off the dekstop and stick with what they're good at for that platform. With the alleged "PC is dying" banter... it's almost like MS is trying to boost the speed at which they become irrelevant.

News Comments > Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1?
40. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 14:56 wtf_man

Crustacean Soup wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 14:37:
Fine, I assumed you'd base your choice of operating systems ("the last OS I get from MS") on productivity instead of cosmetics. I guess we just have different things in mind when we choose software.

I wouldn't advocate for purchasing Windows 8 if you already have Windows 7 mind you (I did it partially for development purposes, but since I don't mind the OS I also don't mind having it replace 7 as my main work OS). It's a nice but fairly minor upgrade; it kind of reminds me of an OS X upgrade, and I tend to only get every-other one of those.

Although cosmetics aren't the be-all end all, they are a factor.

XP -> Vista... I was indifferent to Aero, and did not upgrade.
XP -> 7... I was still indifferent to Aero, but upgraded since Aero was acceptable and the under the hood improvements over Vista were vast.

8 is a complete eye-sore to me. I can't stare at that all day long.

Bought an iMac in 2007 (OSX Leopard). An utter pleasure to work with, compared to XP, and Aero (in Vista and 7), hence my desktop of choice for everything except gaming. AS far as I'm concerned, Win8 is a major step backwards as far as look and feel are concerned. And while you claim no loss in productivity, it is very apparent that the bastardized mesh of metro vs. thick client apps does not work well for the mouse and keyboard, vs. a touch screen, according to most people that have experienced it, including technical journalists.

My 3rd choice would be Linux Mint's Cinnamon Desktop. The overlying thing to Win7, OSX, and Cinnamon is that they are designed for the mouse and keyboard on a desktop... not touch screens on a tablet or phone. I really don't want tablet and phone optimized UI's on my desktop. Nor do I want to be forced into the cloud (Windows Live ID), nor do I want to be forced into an MS Store.

Why is that acceptable for Apple and not MS? Because OSX doesn't force you into those things things, and IOS started out the gate that way (forcing you into their app store). If MS pulled that shit only on phones and Tablets, I wouldn't bitch. But forcing that shit on the Desktop... they can get bent, as far as I'm concerned.

34. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 14:30 wtf_man

Crustacean Soup wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 14:22:
wtf_man wrote on Nov 12, 2012, 12:20:
Win7 appears to be the last OS I get from MS. - I really hate Metro that much.

Meh. I'm using Windows 8 right now. It's fine. Honestly, it hasn't cost me any productivity. The only thing I can think of that I've lost is the launch lists for start menu shortcuts (highlighting Visual Studio and being able to click on a recently-opened project right in the start menu), and I only ever noticed one or two programs making use of that in Windows 7 anyways.

Who said it had anything to do with productivity?

I think it's fugly as hell and refuse to use it. I don't like the tile interface, and I don't like Metro Apps. Period. There is no talking me into "getting used to it". I just don't fuckin' like it... plain and simple.

And no... I'm not going to support Microsoft by purchasing their fugly new OS... then modifying it with a "more acceptable shell". While Metro is FORCED upon me... they get zero more dollars from me. If Win 9 or whatever gives me a legitimate option to completely disable metro... then I'll buy that... but I highly doubt that is going to happen... so that makes Win7 to most likely be my last MS OS.

/shrug

24. Re: Win8 Exclusive DirectX 11.1? Nov 12, 2012, 12:20 wtf_man

Win7 appears to be the last OS I get from MS. - I really hate Metro that much.

It's not a big deal... DX11 is good enough... and I imagine that Games will run on Win7 for a long time to come. And by the time Hardware and Games don't run on Win7... I'll have probably winded down on buying games anyway. I'm getting too old for this shit.

In the meantime, OSX has served my non-gaming needs quite well. ...And if that starts getting too cloud heavy (which I also can't stand)... then there's always Linux to fall back on.

This comment was edited on Nov 12, 2012, 13:29.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Video Diary
10. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Video Diary Nov 9, 2012, 09:41 wtf_man

Well... it doesn't look as bad as the initial stuff they released a month or so ago.

And for being the same underlying engine as SWTOR... it certainly looks way better (art style wise).

They also seem to have taken some examples from GW2 as far as exploring for quests and everyone getting rewarded instead of competing.

That said... I'm still skeptical that it will ever live up to the TES name, and whether their heavily modified Hero Engine will be any better than Bioware's lousy attempt.

News Comments > BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic
22. Re: BioWare Mythic Now Just Mythic Nov 8, 2012, 15:28 wtf_man

Could have been Bioware wanting to cut out the "Mythic Name" association since their failure Warhammer-like input on SWTOR.

But who knows... the point is that they both suck, and no amount of renaming will change that.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2012, 15:34.

2476 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo