Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2525 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
65. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 15:44 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 14:56:
No need for junctions with Steam.

- Move Steam folder.
- Reinstall Steam and point to new folder.
- Profit!

Creston

Can't do that if your Steam Library is bigger than the cheap 128GB SSD... and mine is.

Also... not all my games are bought from Steam.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 11:01 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 05:05:
1) At $50 for a 120gb SSD, its not too expensive IMHO.

I agree that price is good for a low end 120GB. Unfortunately that price doesn't apply to the top performing 500+ Giggers. When they reach being below 50 cents a Gig, then I think they will be worth it... and by then I will have a rig capable of 6GB SATA.

As a stepping stone, I don't fathom the work of manually moving my games to and from an SSD to a hard drive... especially if it requires re-installation of the game. I'd rather just have a big SSD, a 40GB partiton for the OS and minor apps, and another partition for my games. That's another reason a hybrid works for me, for now.

I'm betting that when Haswell comes out... Top performing Large SSD's will be pretty close to 50 cents a Gig.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 17, 2012, 00:08 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 22:36:
Its far better to get a SSD (which are becoming increasingly cheaper nowadays)

While I won't disagree about SSD's being better... Hybrids aren't as bad as you think... but I'll get to that in a minute.

The simple thing is that SSD's haven't hit the Price per Gigbyte that I'm willing to pay, yet. They're getting close... but still not there. Coupled with the fact that my old Motherboard can only do 3GB SATA, and I'm not willing to buy a controller card, makes an SSD not so great of a choice for me.

I fully intend to buy a full SSD when I build a new rig... but I'm waiting for Haswell before I do that. And if the SSD prices still aren't where I want them... I may wait for Broadwell.

That said, the second gen 750GB Momentus XT's with 8GB of SLC are very fast indeed. My boot speeds are comparable to SSD's, there's a special new algorithm that keeps the boot files on the SSD, and as long as I'm playing the same game over and over (until I'm done), it is also comparable to SSD's because the most frequently used files are on the SSD portion of the drive's circuit board.

So, for me, it was a better choice at this time.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: Bobby Kotick's Dating Life Dec 16, 2012, 20:03 wtf_man

nin wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 19:19:
Come to think of it, I want to date Bobby Kotick.

Wow, this got weird in a hurry!

edit: Let me drive this further off the rails: You realize Bobby's gonna want sex once a year, usually in the fall, and in the same position, year after year, right? No changes or anything different, no variety, quick a quick bang missionary, with little thought or effort put into it.

Ok, NOW it's weird.

How is that any different than buying an Activision Game once a year?

Rhat-Tuhm-Tuhm... Tsss!

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 18:09 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 16:54:
I plan on buying either AC 3 or Far Cry 3 over the Steam Xmas sale. According to some friends here I trust the offline mode works for both, which makes it a go.

FC3 is the first game I've gotten that has Uplay.

The Uplay Offline Mode works fine. I run Steam always offline too. After a login to Uplay once, to activate the game, a checkbox to run in offline mode will be made available.

The left over annoyance is... after you launch the game from a Steam Shortcut... a Uplay web-browser-like window comes up... you have to click Play (again) in that window... then a popup comes up warning that you are in offline mode and certain "features" may be unavailable in the game... and you have to click "Launch Game (Not Recommended)" to continue on.

It is mildly irritating, so I may buy Driver San Francisco later on... and most likely I will get Watch Dogs when it comes out.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2012, 18:26.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 16, 2012, 14:53 wtf_man

Just got Far Cry 3 on Friday... reinstalled OS and games on Saturday (New hybrid Hard Drive), and been playing FC3 all morning. Enjoying it so far. Definitely has that "Skyrim with Guns" feel.

Edit: *covers his crotch*

News Comments > Op Ed
62. Re: Op Ed Dec 16, 2012, 14:48 wtf_man

I was simply saying that TESO is not running a modified version of the Hero Engine, like SWTOR is. The way I read your initial post was that... because the TES games are modified Gamebryo engined games... that potentially TESO was a modified Hero Engined game.

My clarification wasn't exactly aimed at you, but for others that read your post the way initially I did.

News Comments > Op Ed
60. Re: Op Ed Dec 16, 2012, 12:10 wtf_man

NewMaxx wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 08:48:
Considering what they did with Gamebryo (including with Skyrim, despite everybody believing that the engine isn't derived from it), I'd say you were on the right track. They are experts at tailoring an engine to their needs in a way that defies the meaning

Just for clarity that Zenimax really is NOT using the Hero Engine...

1. Totally Different Studio (Zenimax Online Studios vs. Bethesda Game Studios), hence not the same people that enhanced the Gamebryo engine for the single player games.

2. Matt Frior came right out and said they only used the Hero Engine for Prototyping, and they aren't using it for the game: Why The Elder Scrolls Online Isn't Using HeroEngine

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Re: Dec 16, 2012, 00:34 wtf_man

yonder wrote on Dec 16, 2012, 00:10:
2)I *WAS* pissed when a game I KS'd got a publisher. Wasteland 2 going to EA. That was announced very shortly after funding was finished. I seriously considered asking for my money back. Still pissed tho... but I do trust Brian Fargo.

Uh no. It's not being "published" by EA at all.

It is being made available to Origin's Store as an additional distribution platform. Steam will have it, as well as GOG, and their own site.

If one is dumb enough to get it from other than GOG or their own site, then they deserve the included "DRM" (if you want to call it that) of wherever they chose to get it from.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2012, 17:30 wtf_man

Goddus will get funded... even if Molyneux has to kick in the difference to get the 400k (or whatever) that ends up getting pledged.

SWTOR... Bioware sold out to EA... Mythic morons involved with PvP planning... modified an incomplete MMO engine... All equals train-wreck disaster. 'nuff said.

At least Zenimax was smart enough to only use the Hero Engine as a "prototype tool", while building their own engine. - Not that I have high expectations for TES Online either... but at least they won't be using the same shitty engine Bioware did.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Apple restores duplicate song detecting feature to iTunes 11 Dec 14, 2012, 10:31 wtf_man

I'd rather have a sure fire scripted way to revert back to 10.7.  

News Comments > Asheron's Call 2 Returns
1. Re: Asheron's Call 2 Returns Dec 14, 2012, 10:30 wtf_man

Gah! Not that piece of shit! Please!

Make a REAL AC 2, not that abomination that was released and killed off years ago!

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
9. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Dec 13, 2012, 10:11 wtf_man

Far Cry 3 looks more fun than this.

But I'll probably pick this up when it's on sale... IF it doesn't require an Origin account.

News Comments > Game Reviews
13. Re: Game Reviews Dec 12, 2012, 22:26 wtf_man

I bought for my iPad.

Only played the tutorial a couple of times, because I'm trying to get the hang of the controls before I play the campaign. It's not bad... but looting and targeting an enemy while paused is a little kludgy... however that has been complained about many times on their forums... so I'm guessing there will be an update that improves those things on the tablets.

Since I have some time off work for the Holidays... that's when I'll devote some time to playing it through.

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 on Steam
9. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 10:23 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:11:
Beamer wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 10:09:
wtf_man wrote on Dec 11, 2012, 09:38:
Too bad I don't have a Facebook account. (Nor would I ever make one)

You wouldn't even make a fake one for a free game?

People are weird.

Wouldnt it be simpler to just download it from the evil pirates though?

I'm guessing that the e-mail address would have to match... so I'm not willing to give Facebook my e-mail addy.

News Comments > Free Metro 2033 on Steam
2. Re: Free Metro 2033 on Steam Dec 11, 2012, 09:38 wtf_man

Too bad I don't have a Facebook account. (Nor would I ever make one)  

News Comments > Valve Living Room PCs Next Year?
71. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 10, 2012, 15:37 wtf_man

RollinThundr wrote on Dec 10, 2012, 15:17:
Australia is one big fucking nanny state anyway. it's amazing to me that people actually want government to tell them how to live, what to eat, what they can and can't buy. etc.

Welcome to the USA, as well. George Orwell was only off by about 20 years or so.

Big Brother Is Watching You.

24. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 16:51 wtf_man

IF it's a custom linux box, that runs every steam game flawlessly (much like how GoG makes sure old games run on modern Windows OS's)...

AND if it's using some sort of in-lap keyboard and mouse, instead of a frickin' gamepad... I'd consider purchasing it.

Other than that... not really interested.

4. Re: Valve Living Room PCs Next Year? Dec 9, 2012, 15:22 wtf_man

Sounds like the "Phantom Console" is finally coming to fruition.

EDIT: Doh! Posted within a minute of RollinThundr!

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
15. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 9, 2012, 13:41 wtf_man

I still run an Core 2 Duo E8600... and I bought a GTX680 about 6 months ago.

While my CPU is a bottleneck for that video card... it's still plenty fast. A modern AMD CPU would be even less of a bottleneck... so, I think they are still a viable solution for gaming.

One just isn't going to get bragging rights in benchmarks... whooptie-doo.

That said... I personally would still choose Intel over AMD because they lost their way. In the Athlon era it was performance per clock... and they trounced the Pentium 4. Intel has reversed that with the Core 2 series and onward. Clock for Clock, Intel just wipes the floor with AMD.... and bang for buck wise, you are getting what you pay for. Even the cheaper Core i3's are kicking the shit out of AMD in many scenarios... that's just sad. So, I'm saying I'd go core i3 before I'd go AMD for a budget build... but I'll probably go core i5 on my next build (or whatever comes after Ivy Bridge)

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2012, 13:53.

2525 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo