Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2476 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > THQ Breakup Details Confirmed
10. Re: THQ Breakup Details Confirmed Jan 24, 2013, 09:55 wtf_man

Just to clarify... I didn't mean Volition and IP may not be worth the price Koch paid... I was just thinking since the next bidder was 75% less... then they paid about 15 million too much, which could have been better sepnt towards developing SR4 or something.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > THQ Breakup Details Confirmed
6. Re: THQ Breakup Details Confirmed Jan 24, 2013, 09:46 wtf_man

Funny how Ubi tried to pick up Volition for about 1/4th what Koch bid:

http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/results.pdf

I bet Koch is kicking themselves for paying that much. LOL.

News Comments > SimCity EULA to be Fixed
21. Re: SimCity EULA to be Fixed Jan 23, 2013, 15:43 wtf_man

Zero interest. They can take their "online only" design and shove it.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jan 23, 2013, 09:49 wtf_man

Well... it sounds like he certainly burned the EA bridge.

He should actually pat himself on the back!

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Beta Signups Jan 22, 2013, 15:24 wtf_man

ItBurn wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 14:29:
This will be just like every other mmo and will damage the franchise.

Probably... but we'll see.

News Comments > Airline Tycoon 2 GOLD Next Month
1. Re: Airline Tycoon 2 GOLD Next Month Jan 22, 2013, 09:33 wtf_man

Airline Tycoon 2 – Gold Edition brings an extensive list of new features ...

Add more seats for zero leg room!
Hire the foulest tempered flight attendants possible!
Charge tripple for used headphones with other people's ear wax!
Only offer super sugar and caffeine energy drinks for sale, to ensure the passengers are fighting each other, and not your crew!
Make sure your pilots are "well lubricated" with a keg in the cock pit!
Hire TSA Agents as flight Marshals that make passengers strip, and steal their electronics!

Now THAT is a game!!!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
23. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2013, 09:07 wtf_man

Brin wrote on Jan 22, 2013, 00:04:
Well, it's all a bit subjective isn't it? Some people claim that command line tools are more practical and versatile than some graphical UI and that is because they know how to use it.

Well, the command line is STILL superior when dealing with multiple machines (Powershell, which is relatively new compared to the command Prompt). Are you going to click through a Gui 100 times in a row or write a one-liner that does it the same thing in seconds?

The right tool for the right job.

Metro is NOT the right tool for a desktop PC. I suppose it works fine for phones and tablets.

Launching Powershell is so optional that most users never see it. It is not in your face and rammed down your throat.

Metro should be the same way, and should have the option to completely be turned off like Vista's "Sidebar and Gadgets".

The only reason Microsoft is ramming this down people's throat is for their online store... it has NOTHING to do with improving things for the desktop user. It is backfiring. People are either avoiding 8 or using hacks to get their desktop back (and not have to navigate through Metro), while MS has stuck their fingers in their ears since the consumer build and gone "LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU, LA LA LA".

They are fighting becoming irrelevant as a tech company, in the mobile consumer age... its too late... and pissing off their current platform users, really ain't the way they should go about it.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2013, 09:39.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2013, 20:17 wtf_man

Windows 8: Epic Fail of the Decade.
..............................................................^

Fixed.

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 19, 2013, 12:47 wtf_man

About the only thing I'd consider Windows 8 for (non-phone / tablet) would be a Mame Arcade machine with a Mini ITX board and a small SLC SSD. One wouldn't need a "Mame front end"... just make shortcut tiles for each of the games (unless you have way more than 150 or so ROM) . and the hybrid sleep / startup would be pretty much an "instant on".

Other than that... I can't think of anything I'd use the Metro interface for on a PC desktop.

That said... you couldn't pay me to run Windows 8 as a normal Desktop OS without including the hacks to disable Metro.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 18, 2013, 09:53 wtf_man

Give up the PC- Get real! You’d have to pry the keyboard and mouse from my cold, dead hands

Unfortunately, most people just surf the Internet, do some e-mail, and use a few specific tablet / phone apps... which will make the PC niche for consumers. That level of usage is great for tablets and phones though... and very convenient for travelling.

As for gaming... A keyboard and mouse is a must for me, which is why I don't own a console. I'm not saying that I'm not open to a "Minority-Report-Like" interface... but things like the Kinect are far from it. If the technology ever gets good enough... I'd consider gaming that way... but I'll probably be in an old folks home by the time that happens... and I won't want to break my hip!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 19:58 wtf_man

Julio wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 18:25:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 16:58:
Whoever decided that PC UI's should be the same as cell phone UI's needs to be ran out of town.

And whoever came up with the ribbon. Hang on a sec, I think that person just took a more important role at Microsoft.

Yup.

That would be Julie Larson-Green.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 10:45 wtf_man

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 10:33:
I wouldn't call Windows 8 "unusable". Schizophrenic, ugly, lazy, misguided are all good words but not unusable.

Well he was mainly focusing the "unusable" towards the first instances that full screen metro weather app kept popping up and he didn't know why... then he found out that sliding his mouse cursor on a laptop touchpad was "swiping to the right"

And to a non-tech savvy person that would be frustrating.

So, yes, in the context of an average consumer... as Verno said... that would be an accurate statement... but in the context of most people that have some tech common sense, they'd be able to find what they are doing wrong, and adjust... which does make the statement a bit ridiculous.

So... yeah... I agree with you, NegaDeath.

News Comments > Free DLC with Dishonored Purchase
5. Re: Free DLC with Dishonored Purchase Jan 17, 2013, 10:38 wtf_man

Techie714 © wrote on Jan 17, 2013, 09:08:
It's an outstanding game, I'm waiting for the story based DLC myself.

While I did enjoy the game, it wasn't as fantastic as I hoped it would be, and I went the pure non-lethal and stealth route.

Yes, there were many ways to "get to" the objective... but somehow I felt the level design was "on-rails" or claustrophobic , most of the time... and I'm not sure why. The rest of the game was pretty good, IMO... but the map / level layouts just weren't as outstanding as they could have been.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2013, 09:31 wtf_man

Opinion: Windows 8 Is Unusable

The video makes a lot of valid points that I agree with, but at the same time some of the points are ridiculous.

Overall, though, I think it shows why most people who despise Windows 8, came to their conclusions after working with it a bit.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines
3. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 15:10 wtf_man

I will wait for reviews, but I don't have real high hopes for this one.

Who knows, maybe it will be a pleasant surprise and not suffer from mass console-itis.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs
40. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 20:32 wtf_man

pagb wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:29:
Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics
Yeah, sure

/ROFL

Yeah... the Intel HD 3000 doesn't even come close to the 8800 GT or the HD 3870.

Not super accurate, but shows how many tiers down the HD3000 is compared to the other cards: Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial
1. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 09:24 wtf_man

THAT TV COMMERCIAL DIDN'T HAVE DX11!

*looks around and darts out of the room before the rocks fly*

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Jan 15, 2013, 09:15 wtf_man

Actually... gun safety should be taught at a young age... I started teaching my daughter when she was 4, and bought her a .25 pistol that she could properly hold and chamber a round by herself (two very basic requirements before you start teaching a child how to handle a weapon). She is over 21 now and has attained marksman awards in the military, and is currently overseas.

Now whether this "NRA game" actually does this, is another issue. There is no substitute for supervised sessions at the range.

That's like anything else, though... one can't expect video games to do their parenting for them.

As for the unfortunate shooting... the mother was going to commit the son. Crazy people will get weapons no matter how much "control" there is. The difference is we live in liquid brain matter of mass media through 24/7 cable news and the Internet... so just about any shooting is more in your face.

14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 15, 2013, 09:01 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 22:06:
And MS' worst mistake? Steve Ballmer Julie Larson-Green, period.

Fixed.

(Responsible for the Ribbon Interface and Metro)

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Specs
20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Specs Jan 14, 2013, 15:26 wtf_man

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:53:
ACM supports DX11 but won't use any DX11 features, like tessellation. For all intents and purposes it's not a DX11 game. From a technical perspective it's a backwards step from the recent AVP game, especially as all the media features low polygon models and environments as well as low resolution textures. I'm hopeful that the gameplay will make up for it but at the moment it looks like I'll wait to pick this up on sale.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that ACM will be a decent PC port. That's in stark contrast to other non-DX11 games like Dishonored and Borderlands 2, which both had media and interviews talking about how the PC version was receiving special treatment. That makes me very sceptical, especially with the development history.

DX11 isn't essential but it is a warning sign and there have been many other warning signs.

Theyarecomingforyou has corrected my bad eengrish and posted a "politically correct" version of what I said.

Of course, I don't give a fuck about being "politically correct" in the first place, so that may have something to do with it.

2476 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo