Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2527 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details
45. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 20:18 wtf_man

Osc8r wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 17:52:
One of the most boring, uninspired MMO's i've ever played... and that's saying something!

Huh. That's the way I felt about WoW and several others that followed.

I guess you either love it or hate it.

/shrug

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 16:43 wtf_man

PropheT wrote on Mar 26, 2014, 16:24:
You can't just walk out of the dungeon at the beginning and pick a direction, explore any cave you wander past, walk to a town and start doing anything you find, and so on.

Huh?!?

Oh. You mean content pocket areas based on levels, instead of all the mobs scaling to your level everywhere, like the single player games.

Yeah... well, that doesn't bother me. You can still explore fairly easy, even in areas that are above your level.

YES... it IS an MMO.
It's supposed to be an MMO.
It still has a ton of props to the single player games, so I don't get where you are saying "it's nothing like the single player games".

I do get that people are pissed that it isn't "just a multi-player Skyrim". Well... that was never their intention.

And I disagree with you about the quests being more open in GW2. The only thing ESO doesn't let you do is BAF in the boss fights of the guilds quest line and main story. There's a ton of solo-ish content that you can do with friends. Then there's the stuff were you are supposed to group.

Not sure what folks are expecting, other than a pure multi-player skyrim sandbox... and since that is not what this is... yeah... I guess this game isn't for them.

I'll have fun, though.

/shrug

25. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 15:29 wtf_man

Here is a good video about building a character:

ESO Guide - Building Your Character

8. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Week: Early Access Details Mar 26, 2014, 10:03 wtf_man

Well, I liked it... a lot. even with the bugs. Played a bit last weekend on the overflow server test... and every single broken quest was fixed. They said they found 3 underlying issues that were breaking the quests and fixed all 3.

Whether it ever goes F2P, I don't know. It shaped up to be more fun than any other MMO I've played in a long long time... and it does play a lot like Skyrim, even if the skill trees / combat mechanics aren't exactly the same.

Folks need to get out of thinking of traditional RPGs. Just because one chooses a class, like a Templar in the beginning... doesn't mean you HAVE to play it like a tank or a healer. You could have a cloth casting templar if you want... and the build would be very viable.

I don't think folks fully understand how much freedom in the builds that you have in the game. With a bit of experimentation... it's easy to find something fun to play, instead being locked down to someone's strict idea of how a class "should be".

They've also fixed all the major complaints... combat isn't as floaty with collision detection and screen shakes, can bypass the starter islands if you feel that content is too "on-rails", they've definitely fixed all the bugged out quests as far as I can see, and they are working on getting phasing issues corrected so you can stay with your group-mates that are on different progression levels of a quest.

Bottom line... you don't play it like an MMO.
You play it like Skyrim with friends, or solo. (PVE)
You play it like DAoC for PvP.

Does it have as much freedom as Skyrim? No. It still is an MMO. For example, you can't go killing town NPC's etc. like you can in the single player game. There are MMO-like restrictions for obvious reasons.

Does it have more freedom than most other MMO's? Absolutely.

Is the questing different than typical MMO Kill x and bring back y?
Yes and No.

Most quests are a chain of events to complete ONE quest, so the presentation feels more like a quest, however underlying tasks may include typical Kill x or retrieve z and go talk to v.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
14. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 24, 2014, 23:05 wtf_man

I'd love to see MS get it for Winblows 8 and 8.1. May not be the most evil thing compared to a bank or cable company... but that'd still be funny as hell.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
8. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 23, 2014, 13:30 wtf_man

Well... I think these require a warrant / court order, although the article does not say. We're talking FBI here, not the NSA. So, MS charging $50 for someone at MS to dig into databases and accumulate "specific data" to report on, isn't all that out of line... and the warrant / court order should be the limiting factor.

Now, if these don't require a court order... then, yes... this is totally fucked.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 22, 2014, 19:20 wtf_man

Unless Windows 9 reverses course (Gives me full start menu, full Aero Glass back, rounded corner themes, and lets me COMPLETELY turn off Metro and "Bing attached crap apps")... Windows 7 is my last OS from MS. They are completely irrelevant in my home. And though I have a Windows 7 gaming rig, OSX machines, and IOS devices... I'm not locked into any of them. Apple is pissing me off by trying to force their cloud shit on me... I'll dump them and go Linux / Android in a heartbeat, if I have to. I don't buy many IOS Apps and I'll run Mountain Lion until it's dead.

As for if/when we reach a point that games won't run on 7 (if I don't ever get a newer MS OS)... I guess I'll be done with PC gaming too (as far as new purchases). I have a huge collection already, and plenty I haven't played or purchased yet... so I'm not too worried about that happening any time soon.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Mar 21, 2014, 20:34 wtf_man

Well... death threats and wishing cancer on him and his son was way out of line... But the barrage of "fuck you too" that he got, he deserved, IMO.

/shrug

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 20, 2014, 13:03 wtf_man

Intel Sets Sights on Reinvention of Desktop Computing

Carrying / Passing around an iMac with Winblows 8.x on it, ain't all that innovative. I'll stick to my tablet... much easier to carry and pass around... and I don't have to deal with that fugly tile interface, thanks.

News Comments > Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing
13. Re: Unreal 4 Engine Released; $19/Month Licensing Mar 19, 2014, 20:54 wtf_man

Well, this ain't out of the kindness of their hearts. Most every small developer that can't afford a AAA engine jumps on Unity. They had to do something.

/shrug

News Comments > SimCity Patch Adds Offline Play
3. Re: SimCity Patch Adds Offline Play Mar 18, 2014, 14:13 wtf_man

I will never make an Origin account... otherwise I might have picked this up, after the backtracking.

/shrug

News Comments > EverQuest Turns 15
11. Re: EverQuest Turns 15 Mar 17, 2014, 15:36 wtf_man

descender wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 12:31:
12 hours? Good lord... there were far more difficult camps than that :p Journeyman boots camp in OOT was one of my worst experiences... and the fabled Pyzjyn/Glowing Black stone drop cost me 3 or 4 days of my life.

Got my character to level 44... 14 months of my life... got fed up and had a buddy bind me in front of a KOS NPC in Freeport. Spectacular corpse spam suicide... only lasted 4 hours before all of my levels were gone. (Well, down to level 5, couldn't lose levels after that). Pretty harsh death penalty, when you put it perspective.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
20. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Mar 12, 2014, 15:48 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 15:06:
It just has to do with how much memory you have on your GPU. You can even easily test it. Just swap out the 512MB card with a 2GB one, and watch how your available system memory plummets.

I'll have to check that out! I always thought is was system drivers and RAM reserved for onboard graphics... not a discrete card.

Even an old dog learns new tricks from time to time.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs
16. Re: Watch Dogs Minimum PC Specs Mar 12, 2014, 14:40 wtf_man

NKD wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 12:30:
Bundy wrote on Mar 12, 2014, 09:47:
Looking for, but don't see "Win7/8 64 bit". Damn.

With a minimum requirement of 6GB RAM, you're going to need to be on 64-bit in practice, even if it's not a 64-bit executable.

uhh... Technically a single 32-Bit process in Windows can only address 2GB, so the executable would have to be running multiple processes in order to gobble 6 GB... which would be weird. Usually an application is a single process with many threads... not multiple processes with however many threads.

So, if 6GB of RAM is required... then the OS Must be 64-Bit. A 32-Bit Windows OS only addresses 3 to 3.5GB depending on how much it has to reserve for system drivers.

News Comments > More Elder Scroll Online Invites
18. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 12, 2014, 09:25 wtf_man

Yes... in Summary.... play like you would in skyrim, not an MMO. (Which is refreshing to me)

If you have to go through a starter area, pick the Aldmeri Dominion faction area for the best experience.

They are allowing folks to skip the starter areas to the main town, but you can still go to the islands. At least go back and pick up the sky shards for 2 skill points.

They are working on phasing solutions to keep group members together. While some folks feel it's a design flaw in the first place, others feel that is necessary for the immersion of the story of the area you are in. (much more like single player depth). The real issue is being able to stay with your group members if they are on different steps of the same "quest", instead of them turning invisible and seeing different things than you do. Rumor has it that they are making the person that has finished the least amount of steps the focus point. Another solution would be to make the party leader the focus point, and give the option at the end for the others to accept the completion or re-play with their own decisions. In any case... as long as group members get to stick together no matter what... it will be good.

11. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 11, 2014, 22:31 wtf_man

FWIW... I duo'd with a friend most of the last beta. Except for some phasing issues and some broken quests... we both had a blast, and it really felt very much like playing skyrim with a friend.

The only 2 times I got pissed off was one quest area there were too many folks in the area so it made it real difficult to get the quest done... and some of the 'forced solo' bosses were way overpowered, IMO. (Fighters Guild and Mages Guild quest lines). They have since adjusted those, but I already got past them after dieing a bunch.

The last beta was the only one I was in... so I can't speak for the earlier experiences that people have had. I am looking forward to this weekend, although I plan to mostly try crafting and completing a few of the quests that were broken last time. It doesn't make much sense to level too much on a character that is going to get wiped.

5. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 11, 2014, 20:44 wtf_man

Well... it played pretty much like Skyrim to me, except for the understandable limitations of an MMO and the different combat. Of course, I heard yor milage varies depending on the starting area you chose, because I heard that the other 2 starter areas are boring.

Between the patch notes of the last 2 PTS builds, the addition of collision detection on mobs/npcs, FOV slider, skip-able starter areas, and working on phasing solutions to keep you with your group... they are doing an awesome job, IMO of listening to the complaints and trying to address them ASAP.

I like it... so I bought it.

/shrug

News Comments > Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio
14. Re: Titanfall 48GB Install is 35GB of Audio Mar 11, 2014, 20:10 wtf_man

How come the Cloud can't stream audio? I guess all their servers are being used up tor the game's AI. LOL  

News Comments > CryENGINE Linux Support Announced
3. Re: CryENGINE Linux Support Announced Mar 11, 2014, 19:49 wtf_man

But.. but... all PC Linux users are Pirates!  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
33. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 11, 2014, 15:34 wtf_man

The Power of the Cloud Compels me!!!

... To pinch my nose and hold my breath! PU! Did Mr. Shiring just rip one?

2527 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo