Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2574 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
73. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 15:31 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 13:39:
He ended up charging back his credit card yesterday when Origin refused to refund him. I feel bad, he'll probably get that account banned and he had like 10 games on there but oh well, they lose a customer for life if they go that route.

Let us know if he gets banned.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
43. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 09:09 wtf_man

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 13, 2013, 08:56:
That's not hurt feelings, it's disgust at how whiny half the people here are.

Let me put it this way...

I didn't buy Sim City, but I am outraged because I wanted to buy a new Sim City.

I didn't buy several UBI games when they had always online DRM, and was outraged, because I wanted to buy Driver San Francisco, and a couple of others. (Now I can, since they reveresed it with just one time activation with UPlay)

I didn't buy Diablo III, and actually had no interest, but I'm still outraged about the always online DRM and Pay to Win Auction House. Why? Because it sets precedence... which is why EA tried this crap with Sim City.

And yes, I'm really irritated with everyone that bought these games and supported always-online-DRM. They are the reason these publishers keep trying this shit.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2013, 09:17.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2013, 22:54 wtf_man

Ditto to what Creston and Cutter said.  

News Comments > Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine
12. Re: Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine Mar 12, 2013, 15:43 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:56:
Sigh, why ios? I love me some sea shanties!

Optional nickname wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 11:11:
p.s I played 8 minutes of the cave, and I wanted to like it, but the movement mechanics was a flop. It felt like it belonged on an ipad.

Looks like Optional nickname had your answer.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 12, 2013, 10:23 wtf_man

Ex-GameStop VP jailed for 51 months over $1.7 million fraud charges.

I'm not quite sure why... but that article made me chuckle.

I'm don't know if it was because of the ridiculously stupid way the money was stolen and so easily traced... or if it was just funny that Gamestop got ripped off.

Maybe a little of both.

News Comments > Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine
1. Re: Ron Gilbert Leaves Double Fine Mar 12, 2013, 09:48 wtf_man

Wonder if he got fired.

"As long as Tim doesn't fire me," he added.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
106. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 12, 2013, 09:17 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 03:24:
And all of those together don't amount to anything EA much cares about in terms of money.

The list looks familiar though, I backed many of those same ones

Well, my point was, we don't need them. Whether EA cares about losing what they consider to be a niche amount of sales or not is not my concern. I do find it funny that they think they'd get more sales from pirates that supposedly can't pirate. It's their loss, since there alienating legitimate customers.

Dev wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 03:24:
Anyway, while the kickstarter versions won't have DRM as a reward to backers, the retail release ones WILL most likely have some form of protection. For instance "Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox" released a special loader just for kickstarters that has the very light DRM disabled. His DRM is basically just you have a login (like minecraft).

So any of those you didn't back, just realize you may NOT end up getting DRM free, and if that is that important of a feature to you, you should back them while they are KS.

True, I suppose. But I don't think a majority of them will. Most indies know that will squash sales and pirates aren't going to purchase anyway.

I still think that the larger 'studio name' games (not necessarily a large studio), like the ones in my backed list, will be a viable alternative to the big publishers, and I think they will keep coming over time. I also think they will be a better quality because they are crafted from passion for the product, and not some publisher's "market study dictates".

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 11, 2013, 23:38 wtf_man

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 20:44:
They have a point, though, as much as I don't like admitting it. Today, my PC is vastly more powerful than the hardware in the PS4. And yet, come launch time, all of my games will step up to PS4/Xbox 720 image quality and I suspect my PC will struggle to play games anything close to 60 FPS at 1080P.

But you are talking about a shitty port. Ports that aren't so shitty would have the PC Blow away those consoles with today's specs.

News Comments > SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment
67. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 15:06 wtf_man

Warskull wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 15:01:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 14:59:
Uhm, would this be a good alternative?

Cities XL Platinum

And it looks like they got rid of the Secure Rom and 5 Machine Activation from the 2011 version.

I always keep hearing that it just flat out isn't a good game.

How about City Life 2008
It looks closer to Sim City, and it has a metacritic score of 66 by reviews, but an 80 by users.

63. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 14:59 wtf_man

Uhm, would this be a good alternative?

Cities XL Platinum

And it looks like they got rid of the Secure Rom and 5 Machine Activation from the 2011 version.

38. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 13:14 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 11:31:
People do, however, need to realize that complaining about it on a forum while at the same time buying the DRM in question serves no purpose whatsoever. Hello, everyone who bought Diablo 3! (and SimCity!)

Amen, brother!

NewMaxx wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 12:40:
It's clear from the way the Internet is evolving (IPv6, more mobile devices, cloud computing, geolocation load balancing, etc.) that things like Nvidia's Grid and online games like this and Diablo 3 will rapidly become the norm. Even the way Gabe Newell talks about an online ecosystem and his Big Picture/SteamBox seem to orient in this direction, with an emphasis on streaming. You can quite clearly see that SimCity is partway to that end, as is Diablo 3, etc.

Really?
You may be right as far as traditional game publishers go... but then there has been competition that will save us old-school gamers... Crowd Funded:

Example of selecting more games than I bought from AAA publishers in the last 2 years:

Backed:
------------
Double Fine Adventure
Wasteland 2
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Shroud of the Avatar
Star Citizen

Will Purchase After Release:
----------------------------------------
Project Eternity

Possible Purchases:
----------------------------
Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox
Dreamfall Chapters
Moebius
Resonance
Liesure Suit Larry
Quest for Infamy
Party of Sin
Godus
Strike Suit Zero
Starlight Inception
Carmegeddon: The Reincarnation
Text Murphy Project Fedora
Asylum
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption

ALL of them can be played offline.
NONE of them have DRM
As Torment and Shroud of the Avatar have shown... there are more to come.

So, Fuck EA and their bullshit. I can easily game without them.

14. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 09:41 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Mar 11, 2013, 09:27:
Assuming it's feasible to reverse engineer in the first place, I'm not sure there is the interest level to bother unfortunately. I haven't heard of any efforts to do so yet.

I was going by the crack / emulation from one of the first "always on-line DRM" games that Ubi had... Driver San Francisco? Or maybe it was one of the Silent Hunters. I forgot which game it was... anyway... they came out with a crack / server emulator about 6 months after the game launched.

Granted.. that was probably a little easier, since it was more like "downloading small parts of the game as you go", and once you finished the game... you had a full copy locally, or something like that.

The tough part is breaking the encryption. Once they're over that hump, they can figure out what the server sends.

9. Re: SimCity: Now With 92% Less Crashing; Maxis Walks Back from Offline Comment Mar 11, 2013, 09:24 wtf_man

"The game was designed for MP, we sim the entire region on the server so this is just not possible"

I'm sure that hackers will come out with a server emulator... probably one that can be run in the background of the same machine as the game client... and one that will be better since you won't be running against EA's artificial size limitations that they intend to sell "unlocking larger zones" to people.

This is nowhere near as complicated as a server emulator for an MMO. It's more like one that gets around the older Ubisoft "always on-line DRM".... which means it will be out in a few months.

News Comments > EA Will "Look Into" Offline SimCity; New Patch Released
36. Re: EA Will Mar 10, 2013, 19:53 wtf_man

ASeven wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 18:28:
NKD wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 17:31:
Yes, it's technically possible that the game sold 7 copies, and the Commodore 64 hosting the game couldn't handle it, but I don't think that's the most likely scenario.

Don't you go dissing the Commodore 64 now!

He was mistaken... he meant TRS-80.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
59. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 17:58 wtf_man

If you bought this game, supporting the Always-Onine DRM model... you deserve to be boffed in the keester without Vaseline, by EA. Hope ya learned your lesson, but you probably didn't... and you all will be buying "Dragonboner Aged 3: Microtransaction your Starting Equipment"

Zero Sympathy.

/shrug

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
71. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 09:33 wtf_man

datachasm wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 08:49:
i backed this as soon as i watched the video... i think the game looks great as is, it can only get better. Looked imo nearly as good if not better than LOTRO. i was also sold on the MP aspects of the game and backed about half an hour after i seen the KS was live. Torment had me fenced being single player only (and clearly reaching goal!), but i went ahead and backed at $45, i may drop it later... really no risk in not backing it and the tiers are rather meh.

too bad Rouge System is gonna flop!

I have way more faith in Torment than SotA... but I backed both.

SotA looks ok as is, for an indie kickstarter game, and not a AAA release. I Think most people are expecting Garriot to release something AAA though. After watching the Q&A stream... they are definitely indie... a dozen or so people... this is not a huge studio.

If Notch was making this game... no one would be bitching about the graphics...and would think the map view was actually innovative. Go FIgure.

My only complaint, while remembering this is an alpha build, is that I hate floating damage numbers, and I hope we can turn them off. It ruins immersion for me and screams consolitus design (even though the game isn't being made for consoles).

As for the multi-player aspects... I really couldn't care less... but if I'm able to play with a couple of friends (like Bioware's NWN, but better network code)... then that is a bonus.

This comment was edited on Mar 9, 2013, 10:29.

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
47. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 15:39 wtf_man

Meh... in for $25... wasn't gonna do $40 later on.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 8, 2013, 09:41 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 08:51:
It's not really going to be a shitstorm, it's just a bunch of shitty games that no one wants. Not really a thud per se, more like a whiffle.

Yeah... it needs to be more than a gaming machine, like the big consoles are going... Bluray player, streamer for mobile devices and NAS storage, netflix / youtube type apps, internet surfing on the TV, etc. etc. etc.

That's pretty much the only reason I'm considering finally buying a console... so far smart tvs and smart bluray players, suck at that stuff.... and I'm not willing to buy a new TV... and I don't think a bluray player will ever have enough processor power / storage to be good at that stuff.

There is the possibility of a media center PC... but I don't know of any real good ones, and I don't feel like building one.

So, a PS4 is looking like a decent option.

News Comments > Double Fine Announces Dropchord
1. Re: Double Fine Announces Dropchord Mar 7, 2013, 21:29 wtf_man

Whares my fookin' advnture gaem, Tim?  

News Comments > GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound
31. Re: GeForce Tomb Raider Fixes Inbound Mar 7, 2013, 15:47 wtf_man

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Mar 7, 2013, 10:46:
It's a two-way thing. The developer should design the game for the latest drivers they have available to them but manufacturers should be given access to final code to allow them to make specific optimisations. Apparently the new nVidia drivers have more problems than the previous version, so it's hard to say for certain who is most responsible for the situation.

At the end of the day developers and manufacturers should work together to give customers the best possible experience. That clearly didn't happen with this game.

Agreed.

That's why I don't get the apology from nVidia. The developers should have targeted the latest, or just previous to the latest drivers for a STABLE release... then any optimizations by nVidia or AMD are a bonus.

/shrug

2574 Comments. 129 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo