Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2527 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Thief 4 Trailer
8. Re: Thief 4 Trailer Apr 1, 2013, 22:09 wtf_man

TEEF!  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
29. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 22:57 wtf_man

Orogogus wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 20:26:
The only real RPG element in System Shock was the inventory, and even then the weapon inventory was the kind that computer gamers tend to hate nowadays (generic slots). It's been said repeatedly, but Bioshock plays a lot more like System Shock than System Shock 2 did.

EDIT: It really has to be said, System Shock was an extremely shooty game. The game threw ammunition at you like candy, and bad guys respawned at a sometimes hilariously high rate.

I don't remember much from System Shock 1... But System Shock 2 was definitely RPG oriented... choosing "class skills" before you even start (Basically Soldier (Warrior), Hacker (Stealth), Psionics (Magic User))... Stats to build and manage, skill points to unlock more in a tree, micromanage equipment, etc. etc.

Since I'm, more of an RPG fan than a Shooter fan, "Bioshock as a Spiritual Successor" was a large disappointment to me.

Standing on it's own... it was a decent shooter, at best.

Since I don't have a "Spiritual Successor" expectation from the series anymore... Bioshock Infinite being a marvelous shooter, is fine by me. Just not worth $60 to me.

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 19:15 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 18:57:
You're right. BioShock Infinite is so much more immersive and well realized than System Shock ever was...

I would hope so, given the development time, the modern technology, and budget, compared to System Shock 2. It also helps if your publisher cares about the product.

But the series isn't nearly as RPG oriented as System Shock was... and that was my point.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2013, 18:40 wtf_man

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 31, 2013, 17:21:
Bioshock Infinite deserves it. It's the best shooter in years.

Well... that's the problem with the series.

System Shocks were RPGs first, shooters second. They've pretty much pushed out most of the RPG elements for the Bioshocks.

Don't get me wrong... I'll probably still pick up this title, on sale... but Ken Levine needs to be smacked upside the head for ever claiming that the Bioshock Series was a "Spiritual Successor to System Shock" ... cuz it sure as hell isn't, IMO.

News Comments > Star Trek: The Video Game - Shatner vs. Gorn Trailer
24. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game - Shatner vs. Gorn Trailer Mar 31, 2013, 11:39 wtf_man

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 20:37:
You are missing out on a lot of great games, oh well, your loss for such a silly reason. Maybe you'll grow out of it.

Well, no... I don't think I'll grow out of it. Do you buy things you can't stand?
I don't buy RTS nor casual games either... they're just not my cup o tea, and I'm sure theres a lot of fantastic games out there in those genres.

Choice of camera view is an important factor to me, for the genres that I enjoy. If a developer restricts the camera view to a position that irritates me, or feels unnatural, which prevents me from enjoying the title... I don't buy the game. It's that simple.

The same goes for games with poor keyboard and mouse support, that try to goat you into playing with a game pad. If I wanted to play with a fucking game pad, I'd buy a console.

So yes, there may be a lot of well done games that I'm missing out on... but that doesn't bother me, because I spend my money on games that I know that I will enjoy. (Except for when my dumb ass forgets to do the homework first)

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Mar 30, 2013, 19:59 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 18:04:
However, what really shocks me is that people funded Garriott despite knowing how much money the guy has.

Let me first say, I'm not a big fan of Garriot... so don't take the following defense as fanboism...

Anyway, he's already poured tons of his own money into the company (millions) to get the project going. He probably ran low on "liquid cash"... being "worth" a lot and having "tons of cash" are two different things.

In any case... he has explained that he could either go to a publisher, or go crowd-funding to take things to the next step and finish the game. He chose crowd-funding to avoid publisher BS.

I suppose a third option would be to sell assets to get the cash... but having feedback from backers has already been way more beneficial... he made the change to have the game playable totally offline, which was not his original plan, but one he altered after folks said they wanted that.

So, an Ultima successor, with Backer input... fine by me. We'll see if he still has anything left... or if he's truly washed up as a game designer. I would have to say this game will make or break his reputation, once and for all.

12. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game - Shatner vs. Gorn Trailer Mar 30, 2013, 11:06 wtf_man

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 30, 2013, 10:33:
So you never played the Mafia series?

Nope.

Still kicking myself in the ass for buying Alan Wake on Steam for Under $10, and not doing my homework. I didn't even make it through the tutorial.

Shoulder-cam (without any other options) = automatic "No Sale" for me.

9. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game - Shatner vs. Gorn Trailer Mar 30, 2013, 10:09 wtf_man

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 21:04:
lol, love it!

and I'm still going to buy the game

If it wasn't shoulder cam... I'd consider it... but I can't do shoulder cam games.

1. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game - Shatner vs. Gorn Trailer Mar 29, 2013, 20:38 wtf_man

"...Ok, now your overacting."

LOL

Still won't buy the game, though.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Tech Demo Video
18. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Tech Demo Video Mar 29, 2013, 19:20 wtf_man

Will there be an option to turn on AA?  

News Comments > Jay Wilson: Auction Houses "Really Hurt" Diablo III
90. Re: Jay Wilson: Auction Houses Mar 29, 2013, 19:05 wtf_man

Jivaro wrote on Mar 29, 2013, 18:21:
Thank you indie developers for allowing me to keep my hobby. The so-called AAA market apparently believes that it's consumer base is a recyclable resource with unlimited funds and a short term memory. The cynic in me can't really argue its them as the mainstream gaming consumer has so far been willing to bend over and take it. I just wish the indie developers were the ones in control of Diablo.

Well Said.

News Comments > GRiD 2 Trailer
6. Re: GRiD 2 Trailer Mar 29, 2013, 10:10 wtf_man

subx wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 22:21:
Ray Ban wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 21:21:
subx wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 21:11:
I'm waiting to see some in car gameplay footage before I make my mind up on this one.

Surely you must be joking.

Yes and no :)

And don't call him Shirley!

News Comments > Watch Dogs Trailer
21. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Mar 27, 2013, 19:57 wtf_man

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 15:11:
Compare it to something great like Sleeping Dogs.

Never played it.
Then again I didn't have much interest in a Kung-Fu GTA sandbox.

Watchdogs, though... I definitely have an interest.

Of course, I will wait for post launch reviews and opinions before I take the plunge.

5. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Mar 27, 2013, 10:15 wtf_man

Fantaz wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 09:31:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 09:19:
I hope this plays as good as it looks.. it's like Deus Ex meets Grand Theft Auto.

I don't see the connection with Deus Ex besides the hacking bit?

Not necessarily far in the future where you are an augmented cyborg directly like Deus Ex...
... the hacking bit, yes, and it is looking like a conspiracy story with multiple factions that are after you, including the government at a much higher level than the regular police.

So, more from an angle of story, than a futuristic/cyborg perspective... the key being "conspiracy involving the government"... then set that in a GTA sandbox.

1. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Mar 27, 2013, 09:19 wtf_man

I hope this plays as good as it looks.. it's like Deus Ex meets Grand Theft Auto.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 09:12 wtf_man

...These are not the servers you are looking for...  

News Comments > Square Enix Reports "Extraordinary Loss" - President Resigns
7. Re: Square Enix Reports Mar 26, 2013, 09:48 wtf_man

nin wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 09:42:
namely Sleepings Dogs

YEAH! You guys didn't buy enough Sleeping Dogs!!!!!!!!

Because I rather have Watch Dogs.

I'll probably pick up "Teef", though.

News Comments > BioWare's New IP
10. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 10:10 wtf_man

How about another 300 million for a SW:TOR sequel, since the last one did so well.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Mar 24, 2013, 19:20 wtf_man

"Lube" would be offline mode avaialble for your small city square.

Even then... EA wouldn't be able to fit in my Origin virgin @rse.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
7. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 10:11 wtf_man

Who says he gets the full $165k? They've explained that as they add writers, assets also have to be created, programming time, etc.

So that $165k is NOT all for Chris. "Writing in" an 8th companion will involve many others of the dev team... and their time is not free.

EDIT: Doh! DEV beat me to it. LOL

2527 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo