Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2476 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > GRiD 2 Trailer
6. Re: GRiD 2 Trailer Mar 29, 2013, 10:10 wtf_man

subx wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 22:21:
Ray Ban wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 21:21:
subx wrote on Mar 28, 2013, 21:11:
I'm waiting to see some in car gameplay footage before I make my mind up on this one.

Surely you must be joking.

Yes and no :)

And don't call him Shirley!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs Trailer
21. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Mar 27, 2013, 19:57 wtf_man

netnerd85 wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 15:11:
Compare it to something great like Sleeping Dogs.

Never played it.
Then again I didn't have much interest in a Kung-Fu GTA sandbox.

Watchdogs, though... I definitely have an interest.

Of course, I will wait for post launch reviews and opinions before I take the plunge.

5. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Mar 27, 2013, 10:15 wtf_man

Fantaz wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 09:31:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 27, 2013, 09:19:
I hope this plays as good as it looks.. it's like Deus Ex meets Grand Theft Auto.

I don't see the connection with Deus Ex besides the hacking bit?

Not necessarily far in the future where you are an augmented cyborg directly like Deus Ex...
... the hacking bit, yes, and it is looking like a conspiracy story with multiple factions that are after you, including the government at a much higher level than the regular police.

So, more from an angle of story, than a futuristic/cyborg perspective... the key being "conspiracy involving the government"... then set that in a GTA sandbox.

1. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Mar 27, 2013, 09:19 wtf_man

I hope this plays as good as it looks.. it's like Deus Ex meets Grand Theft Auto.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing
1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic APAC Servers Closing Mar 27, 2013, 09:12 wtf_man

...These are not the servers you are looking for...  

News Comments > Square Enix Reports "Extraordinary Loss" - President Resigns
7. Re: Square Enix Reports Mar 26, 2013, 09:48 wtf_man

nin wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 09:42:
namely Sleepings Dogs

YEAH! You guys didn't buy enough Sleeping Dogs!!!!!!!!

Because I rather have Watch Dogs.

I'll probably pick up "Teef", though.

News Comments > BioWare's New IP
10. Re: BioWare's New IP Mar 25, 2013, 10:10 wtf_man

How about another 300 million for a SW:TOR sequel, since the last one did so well.  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Mar 24, 2013, 19:20 wtf_man

"Lube" would be offline mode avaialble for your small city square.

Even then... EA wouldn't be able to fit in my Origin virgin @rse.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal
7. Re: Torment Kickstarter Adds Chris Avellone Goal Mar 22, 2013, 10:11 wtf_man

Who says he gets the full $165k? They've explained that as they add writers, assets also have to be created, programming time, etc.

So that $165k is NOT all for Chris. "Writing in" an 8th companion will involve many others of the dev team... and their time is not free.

EDIT: Doh! DEV beat me to it. LOL

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 20, 2013, 10:10 wtf_man

Moog wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:48:
I’ve met virtually no one…who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am.

Because Tabula Rasa was *such* a good game!

Should have left that ego in orbit.

While I generally agree... I'm not sure what went on with that game, nor how much interference there was by other stakeholders. Granted, I can't fault NCSoft for pushing the game out when Garriot was working on it way way too long... but something tells me that it suffered from "Duke Nuke 'Em Forever Syndrom", with several "start over" phases.

Ultima IX was pure EA interference.

So, we'll see if he still has anything left, as a designer, when Shroud of the Avatar is done.

But yeah... he needs to keep that Ego in check, cuz his last few attempts ain't been all that great.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2013, 10:04 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Mar 20, 2013, 09:29:
Good luck explaining that to the dead weight biz dev types dragging down the industry

Ayup.

News Comments > SimCity Patch Addresses Traffic Snags
6. Re: SimCity Patch Addresses Traffic Snags Mar 19, 2013, 23:10 wtf_man

Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2013, 22:41:
...and still in progress.

Dey luwv yoo long time!

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals
9. Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Funded: Adds Stretch Goals Mar 19, 2013, 20:05 wtf_man

I got in early for the $25 first responder level... While I'm not overly positive about this particular backing... I figured what the heck... see if Richard can do something without publisher BS, and see whether he is really washed up or not. I'm not expecting some huge AAA RPG, but a modern take on the earlier Ulitmas can't be that bad of a thing, IMO.

And you CAN play it completely offline - For those that didn't bother reading the update:

Here are the ways we anticipate the game can be played:

Single player offline:
This is the DRM free, completely off-line version of the game. Your character is stored on your computer and can not be used in any of the online modes.

Single Player Online (SPO)
In the SPO mode you connect to the server, receive content updates, and can see the long term changes others are having on the world. However, you are not visible on anyone else’s screen, nor for grouping, and you don’t see anyone else in the world. You can switch from SPO to FPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or overland map. Some parts of the main storyline quests may temporarily force the player into SPO mode for some parts of the quest.

Friends Play Online (FPO)
In friends play online, you only see people you have flagged as friends in the game and only they can see you. Like single player, this is just a server side filter. For those who prefer the quieter game with friends or maybe for those who prefer a more focused role playing experience, this lets you enjoy a more limited online experience. You can switch to SPO or OPO modes whenever you like while in a city or in the overland map.

Open Play Online (OPO)
In OPO players will see everyone that the server thinks they should see. This will not necessarily be all people in the area but should be people you care the most about based on what we believe is their relevance to you.

For the most part, OPO will feel like an MMO. Lots of social interaction options with friends and other players. We are trying to distinguish ourselves from traditional MMOs only in that, unlike a normal MMO players are frequently connected directly to each other instead of all data flowing through our servers. We believe this will provide numerous advantages to both players and our service, but does differ from a traditional MMO in that the upper limit of players simultaneously on one map may be restricted.

News Comments > John Riccitiello Leaving EA
58. Re: John Riccitiello Leaving EA Mar 18, 2013, 23:12 wtf_man

Redmask wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 22:39:
He stewarded some worthy projects at EA but he also directed plenty of anti-consumer shenanigans too, I'm not really sure where to land on this.

Actually... I'd rather see EA die (like THQ did)... and sell off it's IP to more consumer friendly publishers.

It may happen... especially when you look at EA's stock chart on Kotaku:
Kotaku Article

News Comments > John Riccitiello Leaving EA
50. Re: John Riccitiello Leaving EA Mar 18, 2013, 19:58 wtf_man

Tumbler wrote on Mar 18, 2013, 17:38:
Meh, I'd be excited but I have a tough time believing that the culture inside this company is going to change.

Agreed.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
24. Re: More Big Picture Details Mar 17, 2013, 12:09 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 21:22:
I don't see why people keep fighting this.

It's after a certain consumer. Yes, it needs a Bluetooth keyboard, but saying "then you may as well buy a laptop" is idiotic.

I travel. Often. Having something much lighter than a laptop that can do anything a laptop can is extremely desirable. When I'm in the airport or on the plane the keyboard can be stowed away when I don't need it and I can just consume. Or it can come out and I can do work. That's significantly easier than carrying around a laptop AND a tablet.

Or, when I'm on the couch, if I'm consuming then I can just use the tablet. When I'm working I can use it in laptop mode.

It's trying to capture the best of both worlds, and that's entirely possible. Did it do it? No. But I can see it doing so within 2 more generations.

Ok, since you seem to want to twist the whole point...

You go spend $1200 on a Surface pro... I'll go spend half the amount on an ultrabook. I'll gladly trade the alleged convenience of not being able to stowe my keyboard separately for an extra $600 in my pocket.

We can figure out who is being idiotic, later. Rolleyes

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Mar 16, 2013, 11:30 wtf_man

Enahs wrote on Mar 16, 2013, 09:28:
Despite what the internet(s) say, the battery life on it I experienced is amazing. No, not as good as an iPad, but it is a real full computer.

But a real full computer doesn't do well in tablet form... unless you attach a bluetooth keyboard... then you might as well carry a fricken laptop or ultrabook.

As for emergency "work" on a full computer... I can RDP into my machine at work from my iPad (or any other tablet) and use it's touch keyboard. Clunky? Yes... but it gets the job done, and I don't have to carry a keyboard-in-the-case, which makes the tablet a very poor laptop.

Tablets (by themselves) will never be real good at productivity... at least not until there is full voice-command mixed with touch. But even then... do you want everyone around you know what you are doing?

Tablets are for web browsing, some light messaging, some entertainment, and some light or emergency productivity, with the benefit of minimal size and weight to carry.

Surface RT doesn't have the app support to compete with IOS and Android.
Surface Pro falls way short of an Ultrabook, and is more expensive.

It's not hard to do the math... Surface Pro would need to be significantly less expensive than a low-end ultrabook, which the lowest price one on Newegg right now is $530.
Acer Aspire S3-391-6407 13.3" Ultrabook

There's no way that Surface Pro could get below that, hence it will flop.
Granted it might sell better at a mid range ultrabook price ($700-ish) but it still wouldn't catch on like the other tablets, because you can get an ultrabook for way less.... so it doesn't make any practical sense beyond a "fad".

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2013, 11:35.

News Comments > Maxis on SimCity: "In many ways, we built an MMO"
14. Re: Maxis on SimCity: Mar 15, 2013, 21:02 wtf_man

Quboid wrote on Mar 15, 2013, 20:49:
Taken in the context that she said it in, that's not necessarily unreasonable. But Blue didn't convey the context, so you'd have to have actually read her post. Easier to just insult her, eh?

No, They did not make an MMO.

Since they say it better than I can, Quoting current RPS Article:

Things then take a turn for the darned strange when Bradshaw adds,

“The game we launched is only the beginning for us – it’s not final and it never will be. In many ways, we built an MMO.”

In almost no ways have they built an MMO. The first M rather puts pay to that suggestion, with minimal numbers of players interacting, and even then interacting through relatively remote systems. Let alone that it’s a management game that previously functioned perfectly well without the addition of social aspects – which is what makes it so mystifying that apparently adding something has caused so much more to be taken away. But the association with an “MMO” is an essential part of the vocabulary Maxis and EA want us to use, to reinforce the notion that this hasn’t been about piracy, preventing solo-play cheating, and controlling players’ experiences. “Oh, MMOs,” we’re supposed to say. “Yeah, good point, because you couldn’t play World Of Warcraft offline, could you? So this must be the same.” We’re asked to ignore that SimCity looks, feels and plays like a single-player game with some multiplayer functionality, and instead conflate it with an entirely different type of game. It’s a blatantly fallacious stance, but one that’s unfortunately perpetuating. (Check out many other sites’ coverage of Bradshaw’s statements this evening.) Bradshaw then says,

“So, could we have built a subset offline mode? Yes. But we rejected that idea because it didn’t fit with our vision.”

And this is something else we’ve been meaning to mention. This notion that SimCity was born in Maxis’s womb as a permanently online, perpetually social game, is somewhat at odds with, well, Maxis’s own words from just a year ago. Back then they made it clear to the press that the internet would only be needed to boot the game, and then it could run offline after that. These straight answers seem as wobbly as the new SimCity’s roads.

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
92. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 15:49 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 10:29:
I've been tempted. Really my biggest drawbacks are that
A) I'd be giving ~ 7$ to EA.
B) I remember full well that the main Sim City 4 bug, where a single unemployed Sim can fucking ruin your city, has remained ever unfixed to this day. In fact, in most large cities that I've viewed on Youtube, it says they are all using mods of some kind to get around it.

Maybe Steam will put it on sale for $5 again sometime soon. Figures that I gave away my SC4 and Rush Hour DVDs to students at my wife's school last year...

Creston

Well...

Whatever Steam's price for a true single player game, without having to sign up for origin, seem 1000 times better than $50+ for the shit they just released.

If there is a mod for the major bug fix, that makes it even more viable.

Since Cities XL doesn't seem to be an option for most people... I think Sim City 4 might be their ticket.

And it'd be hillarious if somehow Sim City 4 suddenly outsold Sim City 2013. Mybe EA would get the message.

...Nah.

News Comments > SimCity Hacked to Play Offline?
9. Re: SimCity Hacked to Play Offline? Mar 14, 2013, 09:41 wtf_man

Doma wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:35:
deqer wrote on Mar 14, 2013, 09:19:
Guys, do yourself a favor and just go back and play the older ones.

SimCity 1, and have fun:
http://incise.org/advanced-sim-city-strategies.html

Just download the classic SNES "rom" simcity, and a SNES emulator such as snes9x or zsnes.

Jeez, SNES?

If you are going to play SIM 1, at least get yourself an Amiga Emulator. Do not go for the inferior version.

http://www.winuae.net/
http://www.rom-world.com/file.php?id=278

There you go

It would seem easier to buy Sim City 4 Deluxe on Steam and add the widescreen parameters: Widescreen Settings

2476 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo