Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2534 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Memorial Consolidation
37. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 17:36 wtf_man

nin wrote on May 27, 2013, 17:30:
it would also be odd for publishers to have two different policies towards used gaming going on...

They already have 2 if you count the Wii U. I don't think there any used game restrictions on that system. Granted... Wii U ain't doing that great... but it is supposed to be a "new generation" console.

Besides... if Sony does the right thing... and everyone buys a PS4... the Publishers HAVE to cave.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 17:23 wtf_man

Sony employees respond to ps4 no drm campaign

It will be interesting to see what Sony ends up doing. Popcorn

18. Re: Memorial Consolidation May 27, 2013, 12:53 wtf_man

Verno wrote on May 27, 2013, 10:41:
I might even try to go without Windows if Valve can make a real go of it with Linux.

I run Windows 7 on my gaming rig. That's all it does... no office software, no security software, no internet surfing, runs with the NIC mostly off unless I need to update steam, patch the os and video drivers, or play an MMO. I won't buy Windows 8 or even 8.1. Games will be readily available on the Windows 7 Platform for many more years. Heck, they're mostly still XP compatible. The point is... you don't have to give up your old games and OS - and still not give MS another dime.

That said... I do everything else on my iMac. Photo Editing, Movie Editing, Internet Surfing, E-Mail, Office 2011, Video conversion, VPN and RDP to work (Windows machines), Music library, etc. etc. etc.

I like Linux too, and often run Mint in a Virtual machine. The bottom line is... at home, I only use windows for gaming compatibility.

And just so people don't think I'm some Apple fanboy... At work... I have to manage 1600 Windows machines (Security, Software Deployments, Group Policy, Powershell scripting, Patching, etc. etc. as well as our security appliances).

For the Enterprise... Active Directory, Powershell, and a few other products are the best in the industry, IMO. For the home, they have pretty much become totally irrelevant, already.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Sunday Consolidation May 26, 2013, 11:50 wtf_man

Well... if it turns out that the Playstation Eye isn't optional... I may settle for a Wii U.

- Doesn't need an internet connection at all.
- No Spycam Bullshit
- No Social Bullshit
- No Cloud Bullshit
- Backwards Compatible (Not that big of a deal, but a plus)

PS4 vs. Xbox One vs. Wii U Comparison Chart

I'm really hoping those things are all optional on the PS4 (Except obviously no backwards compatibility... though you might be able to stream PS3 games via Gaikai)

Edit: Just to clarify, I do all my hardcore gaming on my PC anyway... so I don't really need a super console system. If the wife and some guests can enjoy a few games on the TV... great. That said, for myself, I'd prefer a system with more umph like a PS4... but there are definitely potential privacy and data-mining lines I won't cross... EVER.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2013, 12:24.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
8. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 25, 2013, 20:37 wtf_man

Well... this is one of the few times that I agree with him.

However, Mark Rein has said some ridiculous things about the new consoles too.

like for the PS4:
"It's like giving you the world's best PC"

Uh... Yeah. LOL

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
48. Re: Morning Consolidation May 24, 2013, 19:49 wtf_man

ASeven wrote on May 24, 2013, 15:12:
The plot thickens. Suddenly EA backing off the online pass makes perfect sense now. It's even more shocking that apparently both publishers and console makers planned together for this one.

Here are more details:

UPDATED: Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales at retail

and

Policy shows concerted effort by MS to destroy used games market

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 24, 2013, 10:07 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on May 24, 2013, 09:43:
It pisses me off that with every new architecture change we have to get a new mainboard, because of the fucking socket change. Fucking Intel trolls...

Given the length of time between tick-tock to the next tick... it's not that bad, especially when CPU improvements have mostly flattened over the years.

I went from LGA775 Conroe, to LGA775 Wolfdale a couple of years later (Changed motherboard anyway because of new features), to LGA 1155 Ivy Bridge several years later.

Since Haswell is the next tick... I'm confident that my Ivy Bridge will last at least until the next tick after Haswell. So, that will be several years again.

While there are some performance per clock improvements in each release, the main focus has power consumption reduction with only slightly better performance. So, for a desktop gaming rig, you don't have to upgrade on every release, and skipping 2-3 releases will make you need a new motherboard anyway.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
10. Re: Evening Consolidation May 24, 2013, 09:01 wtf_man

Never said I believed it.

I was just pointing out that nVidia has been doing a lot of gpu-super computers for processing in the cloud, lately... and I don't think they'd give AMD a license to run PhysX on their hardware... so I conclude that the announcement has more to do with the "cloud processing" thing that MS announced. Whether it actually works to any significant degree or not, is a different story.

2. Re: Evening Consolidation May 23, 2013, 20:54 wtf_man

DangerDog wrote on May 23, 2013, 20:41:
Nvidia and AMD playing nicely together? That's amazing.

I doubt it will be local calculations on the AMD hardware... it will probably be the cloud shit they were talking about.

How the Xbox One draws more processing power from cloud computing

News Comments > Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn in August
2. Re: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn in August May 23, 2013, 20:51 wtf_man

NKD wrote on May 23, 2013, 20:44:
I wonder if it's any good now?

I doubt it.

27. Re: Morning Consolidation May 23, 2013, 15:51 wtf_man

I saw this pasted in some other forums, Too Funny:

Seven XBox One Parody

1. Re: Evening Consolidation May 22, 2013, 20:53 wtf_man

Video: Watch us flail in front of the Xbox One’s new Kinect

That actually creeped me out even more. I can't help but think about Orwellian surveillance potential with that thing.

87. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 20:05 wtf_man

Creston wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:48:
Even if you have it switched to offline mode?

Yup, it's always in offline mode except for when my games stop launching... then I have to turn on the NIC and put steam in in online mode... let it do what it wants for a few minutes, put it back in offline mode, turn off the NIC.

Then I can launch my Steam games for another month or so fully offline.

Orogogus wrote on May 22, 2013, 18:53:
Steam's offline mode has to check in every few weeks, or at least that's the consensus since Valve hasn't been very open about it.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/828937979095845728/
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2287540
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/291-steam/63506584

It might be a month, it might be 2 weeks.

Yeah... I have the same issue as those links say.
It makes me want to crack my older games that I know won't ever get a new patch.

69. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 15:43 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on May 22, 2013, 15:16:
  • Steam will let you play offline, indefinitely. Xbox will not.

• Not quite...or at least I haven't figured out how to do it.

I run my Gaming rig with my NIC off... and Steam still forces me to connect once a month-ish, or the game won't launch.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation May 22, 2013, 09:31 wtf_man

necrosis wrote on May 22, 2013, 09:22:
    Steven Spielberg to produce TV show based on 'Halo' video games. Exclusive to Xbox Live. MS will finally be able to court Halo fans.

How is it a TV show if it is only on Live?

It will be only streamed from Xbox live, apparently. Exclusive content like Netflix has been doing lately.

29. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 23:09 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2013, 22:09:
    @WTF_MAN,

The specs are close enough. Any cross platform game is going to develop for the lower spec anyway, and you'll be hard pressed to spot the differences. It will all depend on the platform implementation, not the hardware. And so far, both implementations suck, but MS's implementation sucks more, so Sony will probably win this round without some major changes from MS.

I agree that most games will probably look similar in quality... however, when developers eventually do push the hardware... the XBox will likely stutter, while the PS4 will be smooth as silk, by comparison.

DDR3 vs DDR5 for a GPU alone... look at the framerate difference in a budget card with the same GPU running DDR3 vs. DDR5. Then, if the 7790 vs. a 7970 rumor is actually true... there is no contest. Certain developers may take advantage of the PS4's hardware advantages, and we will likely see some games with better visuals on the PS4 than the Xbox One.

14. Re: Evening Consolidation May 21, 2013, 21:10 wtf_man

Xbox One vs. PS4 Hardware

Looks like the PS4 will kick Xbox in the balls...

- DDR3 vs. DDR5
    - 3 OSes using up some of the 8GB (all mostly in RAM since they are switchable) vs. 1 OS
    - 1.6GHz vs. 2.0GHz (Not that big of a deal)
    - Kinnect monitoring for commands and visual input (even if game not using Kinnect... it still takes CPU cycles)
    - 7790 GPU vs. 7970 GPU (Rumored)

That's a spanking... which is why MS didn't reveal their hardware specs.

This comment was edited on May 21, 2013, 21:16.

News Comments > Xbox One Announced
    26. Re: Xbox One Announced May 21, 2013, 15:48 wtf_man

A bit more clear:

Microsoft confirms 'pre-owned fee' for Xbox One

Definitely going PS4, here.

Especially if you need to pay MS a subscription fee to use a Netflix App.

Fuck Them.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
    3. Re: Saturday Consolidation May 18, 2013, 14:12 wtf_man

I don't think it's "Adam Orth level", like the end of the article implies... but I'm sure he's probably in a little hot water, even though he's mainly picking on the thing for being less powerful than a current xbox 360.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    5. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 17, 2013, 10:14 wtf_man

nin wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:54:
    Panickd wrote on May 17, 2013, 09:18:
    Carlos Slim has to be one of the coolest billionaire names around. Sounds like he should be the head of a drug cartel instead of a communications conglomerate though.

Straight out of Scarface...

Say hechllo to my leettle friend!

2534 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 19.
    < Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo