Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2554 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 17:24 wtf_man

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 10:15:
So of you REALLY want to make sure George Broussard doesn't see a dime from you, you probably shouldn't buy this.

I didn't say I wouldn't buy it... I said I was wrestling with my conscience. That said, I'll probably wait for some GOG sale to minimize the impact. Right now, I have way too many games to play from the summer sales of Steam and GOG, anyway.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:59 wtf_man

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:51:
Actually back in 2007 3D Realms licensed the Apogee name and logo to a new company called Apogee Entertainment LLC, due to that license they have set Apogee Software LLC up as a DBA/alias. They are the ones publishing this. In fact ROTT is an IP they outright bought on stead of just licensed. 3D Realms retains Apogee Software Ltd as its legal name despite all this, with 3D Realms as its DBA. This new company is run by among others Terry Nagy ex-3D Realms and Gathering of Developers employee. Sorry for the bad formatting of this post, I wrote it on my phone.

So, you are saying they already got their money from selling the Apogee name (yet keeping it somehow), and already selling the ROTT license to this new "Apogee"... and anyone purchasing ROTT won't be giving 3DRealms any new infusion of cash?

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:33 wtf_man

I really want to get this if it reviews out to be good (not buggy, etc.).

But at the same time, I wrestle with my conscience regarding lining Broussard's pockets with any of my cash. If Miller could somehow get rid of that fucktard I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Yes, I know they didn't develop it... but they're publishing it, and they'll get money.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
22. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 15:18 wtf_man

nin wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 09:54:
Couldn't care less about the challenge stuff, but the return to Rapture sounds good! Odd timing, as I just started replaying Bioshock (original) last night...I think I enjoyed Rapture more than I did Columbia.

I bought both Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite on the Steam summer sale. I have to admit Bioshock was better than I remember, when I first played it at a friends house and couldn't "get into it". I still think System Shock 2 is superior.

That said... I'm in the middle of playing Infinite... While the game is fine... I'm not sure I care for the "race card" angle to the story.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 28, 2013, 22:12 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 17:49:
I reckon that fully 40% of my support issues over the years have been because of fucking Java. I wish it would fucking die already.

Creston

Unfortunately many oracle products use java, and many enterprise applications, consoles, etc. also use java. It's almost impossible to get rid of in a large Enterprise... especially one with a ton of legacy apps. We've ended up virtualizing applications bundled with older java, to keep them older java off of our machines. Then lets not get into the fricken deployment BS... them adding 'force an update' feature that you can't turn off, even by editing the MSI, forcing registry changed in group policy, and forcing a custom deployment.properties file.

The only way Java would die is if they stop making it, and stop supporting it... eventually all the tools would migrate off of it.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 18:08 wtf_man

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 17:52:
I didn't know overclocking was even that big of a deal anymore. I can't remember the last time a game maxed out anything on my computer.

This.

I had an overclocked Core 2 Duo E8600 and an overclocked 8800GTX (both liquid cooled) up until January of this year. Now, I have a stock clocked Core I5 3570k, and a stock clocked GTX680 (both air cooled). So far, I haven't come across anything it can't play at max settings @ 1920x1080.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
18. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 27, 2013, 12:27 wtf_man

Windows 7 technically uses around 512MB. We're talking that the OS actually REALLY needs to REALLY run, here. It can run on a netbook with an atom processor and 1GB of ram quite nicely for simple things like web browsing, etc. (unlike Vista). Technically you can install Windows 7 on a machine That has only 512MB but it will be slow as snot since it will constantly swap to the hard drive's virtual memory.

What you are seeing in the task manager that shows OS utilizing more than 512MB is a ton of prefetch stuff, that can be taken back by Applications if they need it. The more memory you have, the more it will try to use for prefetch data to act "snappier".

If you turn off prefetch and superfetch... you will see those numbers go down dramatically. Of course there are other services that are running, that basically cache like prefetch, but I don't know them all.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 26, 2013, 09:44 wtf_man

Zynga loses nearly half its daily users, CEO Don Mattrick warns of 'more volatility'.

The World of Mattrick

News Comments > Molten Games Formed
6. Re: Molten Games Formed Jul 25, 2013, 09:27 wtf_man

How one be "Focused on breaking free from the traditional developer/publisher relationship" while taking "millions in funding" from a traditional publisher (NCSOFT) ???  

News Comments > EA Financial Results
7. Re: EA Financial Results Jul 23, 2013, 23:43 wtf_man

EA received 116 awards from over 220 industry nominations, including...

Worst Company in America!

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released
11. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted DLC Released Jul 23, 2013, 19:33 wtf_man

I'm probably one of the few that like Alien 4 better than 3. Ripley being a predatorily hybrid clone was kind of fun.

Don't get me wrong, though... on the whole, they were both shit, IMO.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2013, 12:43 wtf_man

John wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 11:01:
wtf_man wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 10:00:
Never heard about that one... but now that I'm actually buying a console (PS4), I probably will be more in tune with console exclusive announcements.
Yeah, I just got on the PS4 pre-order bandwagon too. I have both a X360 and PS3 and have many pros and cons about each, but between the XOne and PS4 I feel that Sony has done a better job this time.

This will technically be the first console I personally ever owned. My daughter had a Playstation 1 and XBox when she was a kid... but I pretty much never touched them for more than 5 minutes. My parents had a Nintendo for some weird reason when I was in my early 20's... so I played that some, but mostly played at friend's houses. Same thing back in the Atari 2600 days... played at friend's houses.

I've mostly gamed on computers since the Apple II days. (Even prior to that if you include text gaming on an IBM 5100)

So, this is a big step for me, since consoles never were my thing. But I am buying the thing for more than just gaming... which is weird that the XBone is "promoting that"... and I don't want one of those!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 23, 2013, 10:06 wtf_man

After becoming embroiled in the recent PRISM fiasco, Microsoft has said that it would fight to block any government access to Kinect user data.

I'll block it too... by not having a Kinnect in the first place.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2013, 10:00 wtf_man

nin wrote on Jul 23, 2013, 09:25:
Yeah, I keep hoping Agent might show up some day! If it's R*, I'm interested!

Never heard about that one... but now that I'm actually buying a console (PS4), I probably will be more in tune with console exclusive announcements.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
11. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 22, 2013, 01:42 wtf_man

raVen wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 23:00:
Also, that Play Value video(s) is pretty MS Slanted, and it's Endorsed / funded by XBoxLive.
FYI

They were also uploaded in 2009... So their dig at PS3 sales is no longer accurate, and the claim that the best hardware specs = probably fail, also doesn't take into account that the xbone and ps4 have the same instruction set and both have decent 3rd party support... Which tilts things in favor of the better hardware (PS4).

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Jul 21, 2013, 13:23 wtf_man

nin wrote on Jul 21, 2013, 12:36:
While we were already familiar with how the new Kinect is nearly ten times more precise than the old version, he showed off the ability for Kinect 2.0 to be able to scan your body and put it on an avatar in the game in full 3D, even going so far as to being able to transpose your expressions onto the avatar,

Even when you don't ask it to! I wonder if it can scan/render all your fingers, or say, just the middle one????

I don't know... I'm sure some fat sweaty nerdy teenager with a pizza face, buck teeth, and birth control glasses thinks it's a cool feature to show themselves to the world within a multiplayer game!

They'd also make good targets in in a multi-payer shooter... but in this PC day and age that would be considered "bullying" or maybe even a "hate crime". Rolleyes

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 19, 2013, 18:24 wtf_man

Julio wrote on Jul 19, 2013, 16:34:
Getting a Xbone at launch is like getting a lump of coal in your stocking at Christmas. The lump of coal might be better.

I just can't believe the amount of people that are still buying / pre-ordering the "LowerSpecced-Spycam-Adbox-with-paywall-to-Netflix-for-$100-more".

I mean, wtf?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 18, 2013, 09:15 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Jul 17, 2013, 21:01:
I dunno, a real cinephile wouldn't watch those movies on Netflix streaming anyways: the artifacting can be horrendous.

This.

Netflix is great to watch old tv shows and some movies that you don't necessarily want to own. The image is way more clear than when I was a kid and most of our broadcast tv channels wouldn't come in very clear. So, it's good enough.

Anything I really care about.... I buy the Bluray (Or DvD, in the case of an old TV show that has no bluray)

That said, I also wouldn't consider myself a cinephile either. I don't think a real cinephile would even bother with Netflix.

News Comments > Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter
6. Re: Police Quest Creator's Kickstarter Jul 16, 2013, 09:43 wtf_man

I hope they make it. It looks interesting... a hybrid point-and-click adventure game with 1st person view.  

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 15, 2013, 15:25 wtf_man

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 15, 2013, 10:17:
For cross platform games I guess devs will have to program for the lowest common denominator anyways, so even though the PS4 is more powerful it is not going to be used.

Actually... Ubisoft said AssCreed4 will look better on the PS4... I posted this yesterday, so I'll post it again:

----------
An anonymous Dev says that that the PS4 is 40% more powerful than the XBone, and the difference is NOTICEABLE

Ubisoft says AssCreed4 will look better on the PS4
----------

It appears that some devs will take advantage of the PS4's horsepower, that aren't just making PS4 exclusives.

2554 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo