Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2527 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft
32. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 21:35 wtf_man

Sepharo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 21:01:
How does it do that?

After around 30 days, the steam icon in the system tray disappears and you can't launch your steam games anymore without going online (then going back into offline mode again, if you want to stay offline).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 15, 2013, 21:21 wtf_man

Microsoft accuses Google of trying to sabotage Windows Phone.
I don't think Google needs to help MS in that department at all. They do a helluva good job sabotaging themselves...

...with EVERYTHING!

News Comments > Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft
30. Re: Former Steam Honcho Joins Microsoft Aug 15, 2013, 18:34 wtf_man

Flo wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 02:45:
Remember the last time you were offline more than 24 hours? Me neither.

My Gaming rig constantly runs with the NIC off. It pisses me off that Steam makes me login once a month... because to me, that's still not truly an "offline mode".

I don't surf the Net or do other things on my gaming rig. It's strictly for playing games... 98% singleplayer games too. I'll fire up an MMO every once in a while. Other than Patching and buying new games... it STAYS offline.

I run a totally separate computer for surfing, e-mail, content creation, etc. That way I don't to bog down my gaming rig with crap.

/shrug

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2013, 10:00 wtf_man

It's from them adjusting power... so now that they've turned up the clocks to try to compete with the PS4... it will throttle back if it gets too hot.

While one won't get an RROD, potentially the games could run like total shit when the hardware underclocks itself below what the original clocks were set at.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
17. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 13, 2013, 09:10 wtf_man

deqer wrote on Aug 13, 2013, 04:07:
The fact the MS tried, should be reason enough to avoid Xbone no matter how good it ends up being.

Oh, I definitely agree.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2013, 20:55 wtf_man

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 20:54:
Still $100 higher, too...

I just fixed that... LOL.

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2013, 20:54:
Ah, to be a fly on the wall at Redmond this summer...

I don't know... you might get hit (and killed) by one of Ballmer's "Low Flying Office Chairs"

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2013, 21:01.

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 12, 2013, 20:53 wtf_man

Kinect No Longer Mandatory For Xbox One

Gee... get rid of the Paywall to Netflix and you'd ALMOST have a PS4! (Just weaker hardware and a higher price)

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 23:34 wtf_man

XBone Watercooler

XBone Marketing Dude

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 20:57 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:58:
Quite a few of them use Hypervisor for it, though, so I doubt MS cares all that much.

Which is exactly where Microsoft has already positioned itself. Office is now cloud based, you can get cloud based desktops from them, Azure is making money like a spurting oil geyser, etc.

You are forgetting the competition.

For Visualization, there's Citrix, VMware, and a few others. We run a mix of Citrix, VMware, and HyperV... and are phasing our HyperV and Citrix in favor of VMWare.

The for Office in the cloud there's Google Docs. Heck even a few state governments switch to Google Docs.

My point is... in the past... Microsoft didn't have to fight very hard to keep it's own market. After dominating for so long, and being slow (Like IBM was in the 80's with PCs) they are getting pounded in markets that they used to easily dominate.

I'm not saying they still don't dominate in some areas... but it is becoming much more difficult for them to maintain dominance, and if they don't pull their heads out of their asses... remain relevant.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2013, 21:03.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2013, 10:17 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 09:23:
look at how arrogant MS became in the gaming industry in such a short period of time.

It's not all that surprising given how arrogant they are in the OS and Office industries.

Windows 8.1, while an improvement, will also flop. Not so much because of the UI battle, but because other than the enterprise, Microsoft has become fairly irrelevant. Hell, even enterprises are virtualizing their legacy apps to run on other platforms, and all the new stuff is web based, yet internal. Don't need Windows to run web based apps. Don't get me wrong... there are still things that will always be processor intensive and thick clients... like CAD, etc. but a majority of business can be done on a thin client, virtualized legacy apps, and web based new apps. Then there's the whole BYOD drive.

Microsoft, as we have known it, is already toast.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 5, 2013, 15:32 wtf_man

Study: 36 percent of US computer owners have yelled, cursed or struck their PCs.

...And 64 percent are obviously habitual liars.

News Comments > Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details
3. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 15:35 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 15:30:
I already hate the stylized look of the characters.

Ditto

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Trailer (Catch Up)
5. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Trailer (Catch Up) Aug 1, 2013, 12:43 wtf_man

[SC]TherMight wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 12:33:
But... why am I a bit worried watching this at the ambition of trying to convince modern gamers its worthwhile to chat in text to the NPCs?

I think it's way more immersive than selecting from a pre-populated dialog tree. But then again, I'm fairly oldschool in my gaming tastes.

[SC]TherMight wrote on Aug 1, 2013, 12:33:
Also hope he has some auto-arrange or list based version of inventory.

This is a very early build... I'm sure the UI will improve. Just like he states that the combat is very basic right now. We're not even looking at a full fledged alpha, yet, and it looks very promising. I'm glad I backed this one.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 17:24 wtf_man

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 10:15:
So of you REALLY want to make sure George Broussard doesn't see a dime from you, you probably shouldn't buy this.

I didn't say I wouldn't buy it... I said I was wrestling with my conscience. That said, I'll probably wait for some GOG sale to minimize the impact. Right now, I have way too many games to play from the summer sales of Steam and GOG, anyway.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:59 wtf_man

Kristian Joensen wrote on Jul 31, 2013, 09:51:
Actually back in 2007 3D Realms licensed the Apogee name and logo to a new company called Apogee Entertainment LLC, due to that license they have set Apogee Software LLC up as a DBA/alias. They are the ones publishing this. In fact ROTT is an IP they outright bought on stead of just licensed. 3D Realms retains Apogee Software Ltd as its legal name despite all this, with 3D Realms as its DBA. This new company is run by among others Terry Nagy ex-3D Realms and Gathering of Developers employee. Sorry for the bad formatting of this post, I wrote it on my phone.

So, you are saying they already got their money from selling the Apogee name (yet keeping it somehow), and already selling the ROTT license to this new "Apogee"... and anyone purchasing ROTT won't be giving 3DRealms any new infusion of cash?

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Rise of the Triad Jul 31, 2013, 09:33 wtf_man

I really want to get this if it reviews out to be good (not buggy, etc.).

But at the same time, I wrestle with my conscience regarding lining Broussard's pockets with any of my cash. If Miller could somehow get rid of that fucktard I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Yes, I know they didn't develop it... but they're publishing it, and they'll get money.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned
22. Re: BioShock Infinite DLC Today & Rapture DLC Planned Jul 30, 2013, 15:18 wtf_man

nin wrote on Jul 30, 2013, 09:54:
Couldn't care less about the challenge stuff, but the return to Rapture sounds good! Odd timing, as I just started replaying Bioshock (original) last night...I think I enjoyed Rapture more than I did Columbia.

I bought both Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite on the Steam summer sale. I have to admit Bioshock was better than I remember, when I first played it at a friends house and couldn't "get into it". I still think System Shock 2 is superior.

That said... I'm in the middle of playing Infinite... While the game is fine... I'm not sure I care for the "race card" angle to the story.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 28, 2013, 22:12 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Jul 28, 2013, 17:49:
I reckon that fully 40% of my support issues over the years have been because of fucking Java. I wish it would fucking die already.

Creston

Unfortunately many oracle products use java, and many enterprise applications, consoles, etc. also use java. It's almost impossible to get rid of in a large Enterprise... especially one with a ton of legacy apps. We've ended up virtualizing applications bundled with older java, to keep them older java off of our machines. Then lets not get into the fricken deployment BS... them adding 'force an update' feature that you can't turn off, even by editing the MSI, forcing registry changed in group policy, and forcing a custom deployment.properties file.

The only way Java would die is if they stop making it, and stop supporting it... eventually all the tools would migrate off of it.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 27, 2013, 18:08 wtf_man

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 27, 2013, 17:52:
I didn't know overclocking was even that big of a deal anymore. I can't remember the last time a game maxed out anything on my computer.

This.

I had an overclocked Core 2 Duo E8600 and an overclocked 8800GTX (both liquid cooled) up until January of this year. Now, I have a stock clocked Core I5 3570k, and a stock clocked GTX680 (both air cooled). So far, I haven't come across anything it can't play at max settings @ 1920x1080.

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 27, 2013, 12:27 wtf_man

Windows 7 technically uses around 512MB. We're talking that the OS actually REALLY needs to REALLY run, here. It can run on a netbook with an atom processor and 1GB of ram quite nicely for simple things like web browsing, etc. (unlike Vista). Technically you can install Windows 7 on a machine That has only 512MB but it will be slow as snot since it will constantly swap to the hard drive's virtual memory.

What you are seeing in the task manager that shows OS utilizing more than 512MB is a ton of prefetch stuff, that can be taken back by Applications if they need it. The more memory you have, the more it will try to use for prefetch data to act "snappier".

If you turn off prefetch and superfetch... you will see those numbers go down dramatically. Of course there are other services that are running, that basically cache like prefetch, but I don't know them all.

2527 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo