Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2547 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 27, 2013, 14:08 wtf_man

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 11:04:
Ballmer was a salesman. I hope they get an Engineer or maybe UI Designer as CEO next.

So you want the main creator of the ribbon and tile interfeces as the CEO??? (Julie Larson-Green)

Uhm... No Thanks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $20M
11. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 22:36 wtf_man

I don't give a shit about the MMO part. If the single player game is good..., I'll have gotten my minimal backing's worth.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $20M
2. Re: Star Citizen Passes $20M Sep 26, 2013, 21:34 wtf_man

Ayup.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 26, 2013, 10:12 wtf_man

PS4 and Xbox One not ready for photorealistic visuals, say tool providers.

I personally don't want photorealism in my games. It tends to actually ruin immersion for me, because everything else can't be as realistic. Let me clarify... I'm talking complete realisitic photorealism.

We've been at "good enough for near photorealism" for years... there really is no need to go any further on that front. Besides... a bit of fantasy color is welcome.

Fricken Lichdom is looking awesome... and is a good example of Cryengine 3 not going for total photorealism.

News Comments > Steam Machines Announced
77. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 21:07 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 18:48:
Jivaro wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 16:46:
Just dropping this here...

http://i.imgur.com/UbnwGnI.jpg

Heh.

From the screenshot:
On Friday we announce Source 2... ...it doesn't have a line of DirectX in it... supports Linux, Windows and OSX... ...and tentative PS4.

I'll crap if that turns out to be true.... No XBone support... LOL

Then again... I think even a good chunk of AAA developers are looking hard at the Unity engine... so they'd have to compete price-wise with that.

16. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:40 wtf_man

Steele Johnson wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:38:
wtf_man wrote on Sep 25, 2013, 15:35:
Announcement #3... HL3 will be a SteamOs / Steam Machine exclusive. Devil

Right, and no one will crack the game to work on Windows. lol

If we're talking native linux... that will be rather hard to do... it would call for a full community port.

10. Re: Steam Machines Announced Sep 25, 2013, 15:35 wtf_man

Announcement #3... HL3 will be a SteamOs / Steam Machine exclusive. Devil  

News Comments > NVIDIA: "No Longer Possible" for Consoles to Better PC Graphics
43. Re: NVIDIA: Sep 24, 2013, 15:38 wtf_man

MajorD wrote on Sep 24, 2013, 10:11:
Unless significant noticable advancement are made in the PC graphics chips during each console life cycle, people aren't really going to care. I really didn't see any huge WOW factor between the two during the last life cycle (360 & PS3).

Pretty much this. My 8800GTX lasted over 5 years... I never had a graphics card last the long before... I was upgrading every 18 months or so. I expect my GTX680 to last just as long... and it's already been a year and a half.

Graphics has been "more than good enough" for years.... at least for gaming.

News Comments > SteamOS Announced
92. Re: SteamOS Announced Sep 23, 2013, 19:05 wtf_man

Someone on Ars Technica posted this:
Linux is the future of gaming, so long as it is no longer called Linux, is locked down from outside control, and will stream stuff from the Steam Store (but no word of streaming games purchased through GoG or other vendors?

Let me put it this way: if and when Steam allows other storefronts without SteamOS, then I will believe the cries of "open source" were anything but marketing material.

I pretty much agree. This looks like their own "Walled Garden" that they were bitching of MS doing, on an OS base that is supposed to be "Open". Talk about ironic... and potentially hippocratical.

That said... a PS4 will already be in my living room... which is a huge step for me since I mostly hate consoles... or to be more accurate... gaming pads.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
5. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 22, 2013, 12:07 wtf_man

Pankin wrote on Sep 22, 2013, 11:21:
Where we learn Steve Ballmer doesn't need a ton of unsold Zunes to fall on his head:

...or Surfaces or Kins.

...or Vista or Windows 8 Retail boxes. (And probably 8.1 too)

News Comments > Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors
4. Re: Learn Gaming from the Romero Professors Sep 18, 2013, 10:11 wtf_man

Yeah! I wanna learn how to make the gaming community my bitch!

...since that worked out so well for John.

News Comments > Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year
52. Re: Diablo III Auction Houses Shutting Down Next Year Sep 17, 2013, 20:05 wtf_man

Optional nickname wrote on Sep 17, 2013, 18:12:
mark my words, this game WILL NEVER GO OFFLINE, save your blue faces, peeps.

Then I will NEVER have any interest in it.

Same for Sim City.

/shrug

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 13, 2013, 15:29 wtf_man

Thankfully, I'm only releasing to our beta group this weekend... I'll avoid these if they are still listed in our WSUS servers.

Our policy is to release to a beta group the following Friday after patch Tuesday, then release to production the Friday after. It's saved our bacon from roll-backs numerous times.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2013, 14:26 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Sep 13, 2013, 12:24:
"Power" isn't really what defines the dominant console, though.

Alright, the SNES was the more powerful system and sold the most.
N64 was the more powerful system and it sold 1/3 what the PS1 did.
The Xbox was more powerful than the GC, which was more powerful than the PS2, and the PS2 destroyed them.
This generation, who really knows? It seems the general dev consensus is that the 360 was ultimately more powerful (but the PS3 could be better tuned), and the Wii seems to have destroyed them all in sales, but I don't know if you can call any of them a winner. Wii sold the most then tanked, PS3 and 360 are mostly neck-and-neck.

So power isn't really all that important. Unless it really is ultra-significant. Honestly, I don't think being the weaker system is what will doom Microsoft here, everything else is doing that just fine. I do wonder if they learned the wrong lesson from the Wii - gimmicks sell, not power. But yeah, sure, in the first 3 years, then it craters. Maybe they thought they were strong enough to keep the momentum where Nintendo couldn't.

However, we're talking the same architecture here. Both are x86. The OS's are different... so quality and optimization will count for both the OS and Raw Power of the device.

So, I think it does make a difference, this time... even if devlopers shoot for the XBone being the lowest common denominator, from a performance standpoint, the PS4 should have no problems.

But, let's say the PC is the lead platform... which box do you think will be able to more closely resemble the PC version?

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2013, 11:23 wtf_man

For cross platform games... they'll probably target 60fps on the PS4 to make sure it runs ok on the Xbone for at least 30fps.

Visually there will be little visual difference, but I bet there will be "a stutter here and there" on the XBone while the PS4 will be smooth as butter.

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2013, 10:20 wtf_man

Developers claim PS4 has a "significant" performance advantage over Xbox One.

No shit.

GDDR5 alone is doing that for the GPU (comparing exact same PC budget cards with GDDR3 vs. GDDR5 = almost 2x speed), not to mention the 50% more CUs in the PS4's GPU.

32MB of "ESRAM" on the XBone acting as a cache can't come close to competing, especially since the PS4 is using UNIFIED RAM for both the system and gpu. The Xbone has latencies transferring between the ESRAM and DDR3.... which is why the article is mentioning driver issues. Also they are having yield problems with the ESRAM.

MS's Albert Pellano can spin this any way he wants... but he can't change the plain facts, and for raw power and simplicity... PS4 is way ahead of the XBone.

This is obvious on paper... developers coming forward and stating these things just confirms it.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 12, 2013, 09:58 wtf_man

I think Major Nelson whining about the nickname is even more funny.

Wah.

#Dealwithit

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
8. Re: Evening Mobilization Sep 12, 2013, 09:15 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 23:34:
My last phone I've had for 3 years and that's only because I lost my other phone which I had for 4.

I went from an iPhone 3G (the second one) to an iPhone 5 (Four models later... 3gs, 4, 4s, 5). And the only reason was because I switched carriers for better coverage in my area, and the old phone was locked into AT&T (hardware-wise).

It will be several years before I upgrade again (unless something drastic happens like the phone breaks from being dropped). Also... since I don't have a heavy investment in apps... I'm not locked in to any brand... I may go android next time.... who knows.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 11, 2013, 09:54 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Sep 11, 2013, 09:37:
AC4, Watch Dogs bringing Uplay to PS4, Xbox One.

I actually don't mind the uPlay stuff, the achievements you unlock give you tangible rewards, it's one of the few systems to do that well. The PC client is superfluous and silly but oh well.

As long as I can play offline or turn off all the monitoring / social crap, like I can with my UPlay PC games... then I have no issue with it.

I'm really starting to get irrked by the whole social thing / data mining thing. How much and when I play is my business. I have absolutely no desire to "share gaming moments" with friends... I just want to play the fschking game in peace without any monitoring of any sort... including so called "achievements".

News Comments > Wizardry on Steam
4. Re: Wizardry on Steam Sep 10, 2013, 21:17 wtf_man

Kitkoan wrote on Sep 10, 2013, 21:08:
Interesting and kind of odd that Wizardry 6 and 7 are on Linux and OSX but 8 is Windows only

6 and 7 aren't 3D (no polygons, sprites only like Duke 3D or Doom)... so they're easy to port.

8 is 3D, and probably was DirectX only.

That said, I'd buy 8 if there is a mod that spruces up the graphics some... nothing to radical... but at least Return to Castle Wolfenstien (Quake 3 engine) level.

2547 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo