Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2589 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 12, 2013, 09:27 wtf_man

The article on Ballmer is probably spot on. Especially the quote from one of Steve Jobs last interviews, at the end.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2013, 09:57 wtf_man

Windows 7 given a reprieve of sorts to extend OEM sales

Microsoft may finally bring back full Start menu with Windows 8.2

Thurrott also says that the new version of Windows will allow for Metro apps to run as floating windows on the desktop screen, something that users can only do right now if they’ve installed third-party applications such as ModernMix.

Oh FFS... just put the Windows 7 UI on the "under the hood" improvements of 8.x and make Metro fucking COMPLETELY optional for Desktop users, already.

This piecemeal back-tracking isn't doing them any good.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 11, 2013, 09:52 wtf_man

Looked at their video on their site... it's a side-scroller with a cloud of damage numbers and words that say "critical" as you fight.

/ROFL

Uh... no thanks.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 5, 2013, 09:35 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 09:25:
I will miss the blockbuster shows that simply wont get made anymore. Things like "Rome", "Game of Thrones" etc. etc. etc...

Sure they will. It's just going to evolve to a website with embedded commercials.

For example... I still watch Muscle Car and Horse Power. Usually you'd have to have cable or satellite with the Spike TV channel. But I can go to PowerblockTV.com (the producers of the shows) and watch the episodes there, since they aren't on Netflix. They are not as new as what was broadcast... about a month behind... and the commercials are embedded in the video... can't avoid them with a blocker (mostly)... and there are far less commercials than what was broadcast. (Each show is 18 minutes instead of 30... which shows how much commercials are on broadcast TV).

Anyway... my point is... that is probably going to be the future model for funding shows.

EDIT:
Verno wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 09:33:
Sports is the hardest thing to replace when cord cutting and really once that wall is busted cable TV is in deep shit.

Live streams are already available via a web browser. Probably Apps on set top boxes and consoles will coming, obviously embedding the commercials as well.

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 5, 2013, 09:24 wtf_man

I've been cord cut since 2007 when the first roku boxes were available.

$70 a month satellite bill with 60 channels of utter garbage that are mostly commercials, or $9 a month Netfix, no commercials, watch what I want when I want?

It was a no brainer choice for me. My Internet bill had to be paid anyway... so I didn't count that in the cost.

After getting the PS4, we may expand to use Amazon as well... but we want to get our queue whittled down some first.

News Comments > Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming?
50. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 15:43 wtf_man

BitWraith wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 13:24:
Windows 7 looks just like Windows Vista, so why was Windows 7 so popular?

The hate for Vista had nothing to do with the UI. It was (and still is, compared to 7) a bloated mess. To this day 7 will run smoothly on an atom netbook with 1GB of RAM, and Vista can't (smoothly). It hogged way to much resources at the time and way too much shit got broken... especially at the enterprise level. 7 is definitely a "fixxed" Vista.

Then there was MS trying to force Vista sales with DX10 not being on XP (which was not end of life yet).

News Comments > Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming?
2. Re: Windows/Xbox Convergence Coming? Dec 4, 2013, 09:49 wtf_man

Well... I guess they can claim 8/8.1 is a raging success when they include the Xbone numbers.  

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 3, 2013, 19:29 wtf_man

FreonTrip wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 16:14:
JSP wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 12:04:
Of all the disdain for MS on its 8.x OS, just remember, most of you all are still using some form of Windows. It still has got you by the balls.

Typing this response on a 2013 Macbook Air running Mavericks. My personal desktop at the house is running Xubuntu 13.04, and has been since I built the system. Between scientific computing, video encoding, and day-to-day usage, there isn't much it can't do outside of games, and Steam runs fine in Linux now. A *lot* of old games also work in Wine these days. There are games that only run on Windows, sure, but that's what the home theater PC is for when it's not playing movies. Everything else gets funneled through the Mac and Linux systems. I wish more games ran on the others, but I'm a grown man with kids, a wife, a full-time job, and grad school - any time for video games is a bonus.

This response is on a 27" iMac running Mountain Lion, which is what I do everything on, except gaming. I also run linux distros in virtual machines. I do have a Windows 7 gaming rig... and since that's all it's purpose is... it gets used rarely by comparison.

So, MS doesn't really have me by the balls.

And if they keep pushing the iCloud crap, like the no synching contacts in Mavericks without using iCloud... I'll dump Apple too, and go full linux.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 3, 2013, 10:16 wtf_man

nin wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 09:55:
The total share between the two operating systems (8 and 8.1) was 9.25 percent in October. In November it had barely grown to 9.30 percent.

heh. It could hit 9.4 by next year! Whoo?

Looks like we consumers said F*** You, too!

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 2, 2013, 09:52 wtf_man

nin wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 09:49:
Amazon Prime Air. Working on drone deliveries.

Just crazy...

Quick Martha! Go git the scatter gun, thar be martians landin'!

Seriously though... with all the NSA spy crap going on... I wouldn't be surprised if some folks to some pot shots at those things.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 27, 2013, 12:38 wtf_man

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 27, 2013, 10:26:
What has been PS4's response to their uploaded videos? Or anything goes there?

I don't know... but I do know that the worst that can happen from a Playstation Plus Ban would be losing access to your collection of 2 free games a month, and not being able to play multiplayer in primary console games...

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, MMO's, Free 2 Play Online Games, etc. etc. etc. would all still work.

Big difference.

News Comments > Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games
7. Re: Double Fine Regains Rights; Will Re-release Games Nov 26, 2013, 15:40 wtf_man

I just want Grim Fandango... supporting modern OS's, processor speeds (no need to use moslow), and resolutions.

There is no real need for a graphics overhaul.

I wonder if they can wrestle that away from Disney.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 25, 2013, 21:55 wtf_man

Xbox Live's Major Nelson » Xbox One Kinect Voice and Gesture commands

I wonder what the universal one finger salute does?

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
22. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 13:33 wtf_man

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 12:45:
I couldn't care less that it's an "artistic interpretation" when the result is as good as Black Mesa. It's incredibly faithful to the original and most of the changes are for the better.

The unfinished version is still better than any game in the COD or Crysis series, which is impressive given that we're talking about a group of amateurs.

While I won't disagree about it being better than COD or Crysis... I guess this is one of the few games that I prefer to remain a "purist" on.

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
14. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 12:29 wtf_man

Great... now you can pay for the unfinished version.

Half-Life: Source with the Enhanced Mod (Then delete the modded music files) will get you a fairly modern graphics upgrade (compared to the original), and the complete EXACT game... not someone's "artistic interpretation".

/shrug

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2013, 13:31.

37. Re: Totally off-topic PS4 question Nov 19, 2013, 16:04 wtf_man

nin wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 14:49:
Based on reddit, it seems like more than a few folks are seeing lockups while streaming (netflix, amazon video, etc)...I've not tried it myself.

Well... the only time it happened to me was when I hit the PS button to get out of a game, then tried to load Netflix... and it just locked at the red Netflix screen... I had to unplug the power to get the system working again.... then it went through some sort of disk check since it wasn't shut down properly... and no problems since.

Of course... I haven't tried replicating quitting out of a game and running Netflix again. I figure it's some sort of tasking bug.

30. Re: Totally off-topic PS4 question Nov 19, 2013, 14:47 wtf_man

nin wrote on Nov 19, 2013, 13:53:
All jokes aside, I was under the impression the BLOD was something people were seeing immediately, right out of the box, when they try and connect it.

Well... mine has worked fine so far, except for one lock-up trying to get into the Netflix App.

I think I may get the extended warranty as well... although I usually never do that.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 15, 2013, 10:34 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Nov 15, 2013, 10:17:
Whats up with the dude who blows up his PS4 with his huge ass tank-busting rifle? Is he some novel kind of Microsoft fanboi extremist??Jesus what is it about americans and their guns??

While I wouldn't do that to my new console... that's pretty much what I'm going to do with the piece o crap "smart blu-ray" player that my PS4 is replacing, which has been nothing but problems.

Obviously this guy is doing it for the shock factor of wasting a brand new $400 console... which is dumb.

/shrug

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage
27. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage Nov 14, 2013, 20:55 wtf_man

Pretty much zero interest here... that and I wish to remain Origin-Free.  

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 14, 2013, 10:11 wtf_man

Mine is at "prepare for shipping"... estimated delivery 15th before 8pm.

Unfortunately we have to go out of town so I have to have a relative check on our house while we're gone.

I won't get to hook mine up until Sunday.

2589 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo