Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2723 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
5. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 30, 2015, 19:33 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 18:45:
5 Reasons I Lost $9,000 On An iPhone Game.

Here's the TL;DR version.
1. I'm an idiot.
2. I'm an idiot.
3. I'm an idiot.
4. I'm an idiot.
5. I'm a stupid idiot.

I was going to post something similar! LOL

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 30, 2015, 19:28 wtf_man

Well... since I'm in the US... I would say it's not region locked.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 30, 2015, 15:04 wtf_man

Just downloaded Windows 10 Enterprise "N" from my work's MSDN account.

WOW! No Crap Apps!!! Only had to disable One Drive, and go through the standard turn off in the settings / privacy area!

That's the way to go!

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 2015, 15:26.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 29, 2015, 09:16 wtf_man

Six of the Coolest Things the Xbox App on Windows 10 Can Do for You.

1. Datamine you and be used for Microsoft's internal Marketing Team.
2. Datamine you and be sold to external marketing for targeted advertising.
3. Datamine you so your personal info can be hacked by criminals.
4. Datamine you so your info can be freely accessed by the NSA and other government agencies.
5. ...
6. ...

Oh wait... that's not just the xBox app... that's a majority of Windows 10's "software as a service".

Make sure you uninstall and disable all of that crap!

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 27, 2015, 15:37 wtf_man

Is there any input lag on XIM4?

I mean you're hooking a mouse and keyboard to a translation device... where as this thing in the link looks like a purpose built direct controller with some keys and a mouse instead, and doesn't appear to need any game profiles.

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 27, 2015, 09:57 wtf_man

PS4 gains a streamlined keyboard and mouse

Hmmm... I might get that instead of a Xim4.

News Comments > Bombshell Trailer
12. Re: Bombshell Trailer Jul 24, 2015, 15:15 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 09:13:
Well, that looks kind of ..... meh?

I didn't even know that 3d Realms still existed. How is that even possible?

3D Realms was purchased by the same investment company that owns Interceptor Entertainment (Rise of the Triad Remake). Miller and Broussard no longer own it.

3D Realms is now only a publishing arm, and Interceptor is the official development studio.

Bombshell was supposed to be the New Duke game, but Gearbox sued and settled with them... so it's been altered. Also, it looks like the investment company wants them concentrating on console and mobile versions instead of the PC.

It doesn't look bad... but I would prefer 1st person for a game like this. If it's not going to be on the PC, then who cares?

55. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 24, 2015, 09:28 wtf_man

yuastnav wrote on Jul 24, 2015, 04:47:
Hmm, didn't know about Random Agent Spoofer. Will check that out.

Personally I use ABP, Cookie monster, RequestPolicy, NoScript, Ghostery, BetterPrivacy and Privacy Badger Firefox, although some of these have the same or a similar function.

I wouldn't run too many of those privacy extensions at once. I get that you want full coverage, but there is a point where the redundancy is so much, that all you are doing is slowing down your browser.

As for Random Agent Spoofer... if you randomize the ip in the headers... make sure you whitelist places you logon to on the whitelist tab... example:

{"url":"domainyouwish.com","options":["xff","via","ifnonematch"]}

That way you will still be able to login, while the rest of the spoofing will still apply.

47. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 22:55 wtf_man

I've said before that I'd be happy to donate.

From Blues FAQ:

What do you do for a living? How does that work?
You're looking at it, I'm not sure if that makes me a journalist, or a professional webmaster, but it does make me one of the luckiest guys in the world. I have to thank all of you for the support that's made this possible. How that works is advertising (period). The only income for this site is from ad banners aside from what little we take in from selling t-shirts.

I can't even find where to buy T-shirts.

It's time for Blue to put up a Pay-Pal donation link, IMO... because unfortunately, turning off all of my security and privacy measures is not an option.

I'm sure a bunch of us regulars would gladly donate.

20. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 12:35 wtf_man

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 11:55:
Sites that don't use a million privacy violating trackers and respect your time I'll leave the blocker off (like Blues). Sites that don't respect you get blocked. Sites that break when I block them don't get visited. That simple.

Turning everything off... including the web filter in my firewall (which also blocks ads)...

Acuity Ads
Advertising.com
AppNexus
BidSwitch
Casale Media
Chango
Dotomi
Doubleclick
Facebook Connect
Google Analytics
Google+ Platform
Media Optimizer (Adobe)
Media Math
MyThings
Optimax Media Delivery
Pubmatic
Quantcast
Rocket Fuel
Switch Concepts
Trade Desk

Every one of those items are tracking you. Granted... most of this appears to be coming through quantserve and switchadhub, but that's 20-ish trackers just on this site.

... and this one is mild compared to most.

15. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 23, 2015, 11:52 wtf_man

I absolutely despise unwanted marketing research on me without my consent. They all ignore "Do not Track", too.

How is that legal?

Adblock Plus + No Script + Ranom Agent Spoofer (Which not only changes user agent per page, but spoofs a random ip address in the headers), and Ghostery.

Not fullproof, but markerters can fuck off and die as far as I'm concerned, so I will make it as difficult as possible for them to "spy" on me. I also don't use any google services nor social networking sites. So basically, I should be way below the radar compared to the average internet users, as far as datamined marketing is concerned.

The only folks that have info on my habbits are Amazon and Netflix... which I don't mind, since I use Amazon a lot, and targeted ads would apply when I'm on their site.

News Comments > Smedley Leaves Daybreak
3. Re: Smedley Leaves Daybreak Jul 23, 2015, 11:36 wtf_man

KS wrote on Jul 23, 2015, 11:30:
He helped develop the EverQuest Business Model of Game Balance.

Find a popular power or class and nerf it, punching lots of your paying customers in the nose and telling them they are bad humans for enjoying it.

They will move on to another power. Repeat ad nauseum until all paying customers feel like the enemy.

Do not lift up unpopular stuff by boosting powers because that reverses the process and makes paying customers happy.

Uh... that was more Brad McQuaid. Everquest got way easier after Brad left... but it took time, and competition to force them to do it.

That crack smokin' moron is STILL trying to make a hardcore group only game that will never sell in any commercially significant amount.

News Comments > Win10 Gamer Primer
37. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 23:25 wtf_man

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 20:20:
To be honest the make or break feature is how much better will games with DX 12 really be?

While I am glad we skipped 8.0 and 8.1 at work... I'll be ok with supporting / using 10 there, eventually.

That said... I'll probably stay with Windows 7, at home.
DX 12 doesn't mean squat to me, and I can't see a compelling reason to change my OS on my gaming rig (which does nothing else... not even surf the internet on it)... and my workhorse is a 27" iMac.

I do have Win 10 on a VM on the iMac, but the only thing I use the VM for is to remote in to work... and it doesn't have a Win 10 compatible client yet... so I still have to use a Win 7 VM until that gets updated.

7. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 09:49 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:42:
Yeah I forgot about the account thing, good call. I block datamining servers at the router, I'm not installing software like Zone alarm to do it but to each his own

I run an enterprise NG firewall at home too (Sophos / Astaro is free for home use, and is the exact same software / subscriptions you get for one of their 10k-20k appliances)... so that's where I'd do it... but most folks don't have that at home.

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 2015, 09:55.

5. Re: Win10 Gamer Primer Jul 22, 2015, 09:34 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 09:09:
My guide to optimal use of Windows 10:

- Disable web search
- Disable Cortana
- Ignore the Xbox app entirely

The game DVR crap pops up on any DirectX app, I'm sure theres a way to disable it but I haven't looked yet.

Actually... you can uninstall the xbox app and all the other "no option to uninstall" metro crap apps via powershell.

Disable one drive too.
logon with local account instead of MS live.
Disabling cortana and web search should be done via local policy snap-in.

Get a software firewall like zone alarm (when it will work with win 10) and block any other unnecessary background "phone MS home" calls)

Data mining, without opt out, is getting way over the top, nowadays.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 19, 2015, 01:25 wtf_man

Axis wrote on Jul 18, 2015, 16:26:
It will make a bit of difference, but not much.

Wait till you start trying to stream shows on your smart tv and some aren't allowed due to "licensing", forcing you to only play those on your PC only. Then you'll likely realize the real heart of Hulu's problem and drop the service. Believe me, this is a huge pain in the ass and the root of their subscription problem.

Course if you really want Hulu bad enough, you'll run it off a laptop or something and hdmi it to your tv. But then, again, you'll realize you don't want hulu bad enough to do that, and drop the service.

That's my crystal ball for Hulu's future...

I use a PS4 for my tv apps. It's just a dumb tv now.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 18, 2015, 14:23 wtf_man

I might actually sign up for that.

Currently I only run Netflix and Amazon Prime. Cord cut in 2007 and haven't missed broadcast TV/Cable/Sattelite crammed with ads, one single tiny bit.

News Comments > Skyforge Open Beta
8. Re: Skyforge Open Beta Jul 16, 2015, 23:20 wtf_man

For a "sci-fi" game... I don't get why only one class uses guns. Freak  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Next Month
4. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Next Month Jul 15, 2015, 22:43 wtf_man

Rossini wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 21:53:
What the what? I could've sworn I wasted Molag Bal over a year ago.

According to the lore, when you are told that you will have to make a choice on which of the 5 companions must die, that a Daedric prince can never be truly destroyed.

/shrug

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Next Month
2. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Next Month Jul 15, 2015, 20:43 wtf_man

PVP Zone.... Bah.... no interest. I'll just keep leveling my alts.  

2723 Comments. 137 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo