Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2534 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Top Gun Hard Lock Details
18. Re: Top Gun Hard Lock Details Jan 12, 2012, 22:31 wtf_man

TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 12, 2012, 19:30:
"never before seen in a Top Gun-licensed title."

a game that doesn't suck?

No... that's probably not it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Reckoning Demo Next Week, ME3 Demo Cross-Promotion
2. Re: Reckoning Demo Next Week, ME3 Demo Cross-Promotion Jan 11, 2012, 10:25 wtf_man

Well... it's cool that Reckoning will have a Demo... one can see if it's worth purchasing.

However, I couldn't care less about Mass Effect 3.

News Comments > Layoffs at id Software
17. Re: Layoffs at id Software Jan 10, 2012, 23:23 wtf_man

In defense of Carmack...

He doesn't design games.
He doesn't even program the games.
He doesn't program the AI (That I know of).
He writes only the graphics tech portion of the "engine". Period.

That said...

He definitely screwed the pooch on this last "Tech Endeavor".
The Texture BS really bit him on the ass.
Ever since he switched from promoting OpenGL, to promoting DirectX, his work has been questionable.

/shrug

News Comments > Warhammer Online Server Closures
2. Re: Warhammer Online Server Closures Jan 10, 2012, 21:04 wtf_man

As always, thank you for your continued support and understanding.

/ROFL

Yeah, with that kind of "Continued Support", they don't need ANY servers!

News Comments > Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights
12. Re: Bethesda Buys Fallout MMOG Rights Jan 9, 2012, 20:40 wtf_man

Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 20:06:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 20:01:
I guess I am missing something. Interplay HAD to have something done for the MMO otherwise why would Beth being paying Interplay at all right?

Because in the world of law even if you are in the right it is most of the time easier and less painless to settle and make the bullshit go away.

Calling it the "justice system" makes me puke in my mouth a little.

Also it's a hell of a lot less than what Interplay wanted originally for the sale of the MMO rights... So, in a way it still worked out... even if the crooks got "paid off" a little.

News Comments > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Specs
3. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Specs Jan 9, 2012, 15:31 wtf_man

Well... I know you keep saying it will be a console game... but...

http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/r/media/video/gameplay/brigands-something

That looks like it has more depth than say... DIABLO

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 8, 2012, 13:34 wtf_man

Looks like Bethesda has scored some more "Phat Loot"!  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 6, 2012, 10:16 wtf_man

Bhruic wrote on Jan 6, 2012, 06:53:
Doesn't matter which party you look at, the majority of them are in the back pockets of corporations complete crooks.

Fixed that for ya... there's more than one thing that makes most of them bad, ya know.

And yes, I dumped my party and switch to Non-partisan. Vote out ALL incumbents (regardless of party)... that's the only way to send a message to Washington and beat the "Status Quo".

We also need strict term limits for Congress... Not these assholes making a career of fucking us over.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 6, 2012, 09:41 wtf_man

5 Words.

Mass Headache Within Twenty Minutes.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 6, 2012, 09:14 wtf_man

If you guys happen to check this thread this far back...

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 23:37:
It doesn't need to be vast, it just needs to exist for all of the many reasons I've already explained. It's also so that they have something to show people if they ever get into a licensing dispute which isn't exactly unheard of.

Seriously... that is what I don't get. How does having one or two of their own licenses help if they get in a licensing dispute?

I mean come on... I've got these two shows... you've got 2000 shows and movies... if you don't cut me a good deal, I'm going to take my 2 shows and go home. (That is, if you were broadcasting my piddly 2 shows in the first place). So, you laugh and tell me to go pound sand.

Do you see where I'm having trouble imagining that this situation will help them negotiate contracts?

Sepharo wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 21:29:
It's preparation for the future as well.

I kind of get that. But it takes so long to build a decent library, and there's already a ton of competition out there. It's sort of like someone buying Web OS from HP and trying to break into the Smart Phone market right now. Chances are... they'll lose their ass and not make a dent in the market. However, having the IP, is a resalable asset... so I get that part. But if they make a failed stab at the market... the IP is usually worth less than they invested, because it got devalued.

11. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 5, 2012, 21:13 wtf_man

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 17:32:
If they start becoming a direct competitor to the content producers then it allows them more bargaining power over contract terms including price which directly affects you as a consumer. The studios know that Netflix is dependent on them for content but as that dependency is threatened so is their bargaining position. Netflix is poised as the premier video streaming site as traditonal media distribution sources start to wane. The last thing the studios want to do is have people begin to get their media somewhere else.

Without a vast library of their own (which took HBO a fairly long time to build one), I really don't think the content providers will feel all that threatened. It's kind of like pissing in the wind.

/shrug

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 5, 2012, 15:58 wtf_man

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:10:
wtf_man wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 09:25:
I understand that. That's why it pisses me off that they are spending the money on creating a series instead of buying content.

I'm sorry but you clearly don't understand it. Spending more money on content doesn't solve the problem. They've already been doing that, they are spending over a billion dollars this year alone on it. Hollywood keeps upping the prices and giving shittier licensing contract terms to efforts that they aren't spear heading.

I meant that I understood that the rate hikes were due to their increased cost.

I wasn't claiming to understand how making their own series will make them have more negotiating power.

I still don't understand how making one series is going to make content providers drop prices. Nor if they made 10 series. The Content providers are still going to charge what they want. If they DO turn into another HBO... (a few movies plus their own content) then they'll get dumped for Blockbuster's streaming or some other similar service.

I don't use Netflix for NEW content. I use Netflix as a video store rental... without having to actually go to the store. Changing the Service from that premise is not what is desired by most folks, IMO.

I don't know what the answer is to keep the prices/contracts reasonable, but making their own series isn't going to affect the content providers that already own a vast library... which is what most people want access to.

News Comments > Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal?
6. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 15:35 wtf_man

creatorswhim wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 12:06:
Did you play any of these MMOs, or are you just good at reeling off lists of games considered declasse in the current market?

I beta'd a few and played/tried a few when they went Free2Play, or had free trials available... (And they were still garbage)

Almost every one of them had the same thing wrong... way to early too release, needed a lot more development time, although the small budget ones couldn't really help that. And because they flopped out the gate... even a year or two later after they went F2P, they unfortunately still hadn't got to a "launch worthy" product, in most people's opinion (which is why they continued to flop afterwards, or get shut down).

Anyway... the point is... InBlack stated about how something couldn't be any worse than WoW... and although I personally don't like WoW... it had a solid launch and has been a good MMO for most people. So, the games I pointed out are Definitely worse than WoW... whether you rely on the commercial success portion, or the just plain fact that these games were bad in most people's opinion.

So were talking about a company that has a small budget and (fairly accurate to say) a flopped post apocalyptic MMO already out there. I think it's fair to surmise that it will/would be worse than WoW.

/shrug

News Comments > Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal?
2. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 10:24 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:21:
Im still interested in that Bulgarian Fallout MMO. I mean it cant be any worse than World of Warcraft can it?

It Can't???

Obviously you haven't played some of the flop MMO's that didn't even deserve a launch.
(Horizons, Alganon, Matrix Online, Darkfall, Vanguard, Dark and Light, Tabula Rasa... to name a few off the top of my head)

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 10:30.

7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 5, 2012, 09:25 wtf_man

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 07:16:
That rate hike had nothing to do with profit margins and everything to do with costs, their licensing costs are now over ten times higher than two years ago.

I understand that. That's why it pisses me off that they are spending the money on creating a series instead of buying content.

PHJF wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 02:29:
Any show on HBO is worth ten thousand shows on cable, so more power to Netflix.

Sorry... I couldn't care less about HBO's own content. I wouldn't pay a dime for their channel when I had Satellite. So if Netflix turns into an HBO... then yes, I will have to dump Netflix and look for a service that is similar to how is Netflix now.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 4, 2012, 22:47 wtf_man

Dades wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 21:27:
Netflix has several years of great decisions to offset a few bad ones they made last year. If you're so reactionary that you can't see the bigger picture then I suggest cancelling your account but I wouldn't hold out much hope of the studios or cable companies treating you any better.

How does making a series give them contract leverage?

If they are going to pay a billion dollars to the studios then they might as well make it themselves for their own service and retain the ability to license it out to others.

That doesn't explain it. Especially if the "series" is a flop.

I'm not paying them a fee to become their own Hollywood. I'm paying them a fee to stream content, at a time I choose, commercial free. That's what makes the service great.

So... they make their own series... and start buying less content... and end up with several series (Like an HBO)... and little to no mainstream content (which is what I'm paying them for in the first place).

Yeah... that makes a lot of sense.

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 4, 2012, 21:05 wtf_man

Netflix to Launch New Original Series

Oh for fuck's sake. Is that what they do with our rate hikes???

How about... you know.... licensing more content.

First the double rate hike by separating DVD and Streaming service.
The the attempted renaming of the DVD service to Quickster (to potentially sell or kill off that service).
Now this.

Fuckin' idiots.

News Comments > Firefly and Buffy MMOG Developer Closed
11. Re: Firefly and Buffy MMOG Developer Closed Jan 4, 2012, 09:52 wtf_man

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 23:01:
So what exactly was their business model anyhow..

is it like the meme?

1) Make MMO Engine
2) Hope developers use it for free
3) ....
4) Profit?

Like.. huh?

I think they sold the platform (cheap for the engine and building tools, like Garage Games) + was supposed to get royalties from completed projects. I think it was more than just an MMO engine and tools... it was also hosting the servers and a billing system, included.

That said... if nobody completed a project... there's no way they could get profits.

News Comments > Firefly and Buffy MMOG Developer Closed
1. Re: Firefly and Buffy MMOG Developer Closed Jan 3, 2012, 21:14 wtf_man

"Although thousands of developers showed interest in the Multiverse Platform, Multiverse wasn't able to achieve a profitable business model..."

Uh... I highly doubt that there were thousands of PROFESSIONAL developers interested in using a "canned MMO engine". More like a ton of Hobbyists that wanted to run their own MMO.

News Comments > Horizon on the Horizon
9. Re: Horizon on the Horizon Jan 3, 2012, 15:27 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 13:30:
I remember the Horizons MMO. Man, it was bad.

It's still around... it's called Istaria or something, now... after changing companies 3-4 times and avoiding Bankruptcy shut downs.... some of the original Devs ended up buying it back, I think.

Oh, and I'm sure it still sucks!

2534 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo