Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2476 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 3 ARG?
45. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG? Dec 12, 2011, 20:35 wtf_man

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 18:59:
Then again, we could see a surprise move by Valve. For instance, they may have bought up Black Mesa Source on the quiet...

/snip

Black Mesa Source? /ROFLMAO

Yeah... the fucking vaporware mod that was supposed to be released in early 2009? Over two Fucking years ago, supposedly "it was almost done" ???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, Right.

IF they were an actual studio, they'd deserve to get their ass's beat within an inch of their lives as much as George Broussard (and company) does for their 13 year Vaporware fiasco.

As for Valve coming in and "helping them out" or "buying them out", so they can make some big box sale... Dream on.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2011, 21:09.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
5. Re: Morning Previews Dec 12, 2011, 16:53 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Dec 12, 2011, 15:09:
As previously stated it's pure console bottom to top. Which makes me sad given that Schilling was supposedly such a big PC gamer, and you have Rolstone, Salvatore, and McFarlane heading up this game. So, in essence, this is just a more consolized game than Skyrim - with no editor. It's most definitely RPG-lite. And they're thinking this is going to be a good MMO?! LOL! Welcome to DCUO part 2.

Well... I'm willing to keep an open mind... I found things that were allegedly "hard core" like The Witcher unenjoyable (I just couldn't get into it), and things that we'e supposidly "consolized" like Alpha Protocol very enjoyable.

As I've said before... I care more about the Story elements than the mechanics. I'll play a spreadsheet if the Story is good... but if the story sucks, it's not worth micro managing THAT much.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Dec 12, 2011, 10:30 wtf_man

It will be interesting to see how Kingdoms of Amalur turns out since Ken Rolston left Bethesda just after Oblivion, and joined this company.

The Destiny and Fate Systems video on the IGN site is fairly intriguing.

I may have to pick this one up.

News Comments > Epic's Fortnite Announced
4. Re: Epic's Fortnite Announced Dec 11, 2011, 18:11 wtf_man

Umbragen wrote on Dec 11, 2011, 17:57:
Well that's a relief. For a second I was concerned that Epic would do something that would actually make me want to give them some money.

I don't think there's anything that douche-bag CliffyB could create, that would make me want to do that.

...Oh, and copying Minecraft screams desperation of "We have no real ideas of our own so we're going to milk the lego fad, and mix it with Valve's Left4Dead... that'll make money, yeah!"

News Comments > New STO Intro Trailer
14. Re: New STO Intro Trailer Dec 11, 2011, 14:55 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Dec 10, 2011, 23:59:
Still too combat centric. This is what caused it to fail in the first place. I'll admit that whilst some of the newer episodic style quests were much better the overall design of the game is too limited. They should have made exploration, diplomacy, science, etc. the priority from the start. Combat is such a minor part of Star Trek.

True, however some of the best Star Trek episodes are combat centric. From the Original Series "Balance of Terror' (which was based on the movie "The Enemy Below" where the commanders of each side gain respect for their opponent's enginuity), and "Doomsday Machine", come to mind.

That said... what turned me off to STO was the 3rd Person Ship Combat... if "everyone is a Captain"... they should have made it more like Bridge Commander, and have the space combat more like a "Bridge Simulation", rather than an arcade shooter.

Oh well... a definite missed opportunity, IMO.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
48. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 8, 2011, 09:18 wtf_man

Asmo wrote on Dec 8, 2011, 05:09:
Why is it that when people say "the game is doing crappy for me", people have to chime in with the usual crap like "turn your settings down" or "you must just have a shit computer" et al?

Srsly, there may well just be issues for some people. The fact that Beth are adding in the LAA switch (weeks too late imo) is a clear admission that there are issues which it fixes, otherwise they wouldn't be fucking doing it... Is it such a stretch that some people might be having other game issues, which you might not be subject to?

Nobody that has posted their specs and claimed little to no issues, are claiming that others are not having problems.

However, when one sees a vast array of older machines not having much problems, one has to question what is wrong with the person's machine... not what is wrong with the game.

Yes, the game has bugs, there is no doubt about that. If patches are making the game worse for some folks... maybe it's some garbage software that the person has loaded on their machine, that is running in the background. Maybe it's a driver issue. Maybe it IS the settings they chose. Maybe it's the mods they have loaded, if any.

As I stated earlier... I'm running on a 5 year old machine with little to no issues. I'm even running some texture mods, however they are all character and armor texture enhancements, not landmass and object textures.

As for garbage software running in the background... that is the first thing I question, because most people run their machines for more than gaming (unlike me). I'm constantly cleaning SHIT off friends and familie's computers because they have inadvertently loaded so much garbage (toolbars, coupon printers, multiple security products, etc.) that the machine is practically dieing at an idle dekstop.

That said... most gamers are smart enough NOT to load garbage on their machines like that... however, if they use their machines for more than gaming... they really need to examine what may be also running, and eliminate them as a possible problem first. Hell, a lot of AV products, alone, fuck up running games.

News Comments > Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming
21. Re: Skyrim Patched, LAA Support Coming Dec 7, 2011, 23:02 wtf_man

After 105 hours...

1 consistent crash on 1 quest, so I used the console to get past it. (Before 1.02)
1 complete lockup (During 1.02)

5 Year Old machine.
Core 2 Duo (Overclocked to 4GHz, but always has been)
8800GTX (Also Overclocked)
4GB RAM
Windows 7 x64-bit

High Settings, MSAA turned off, FXAA turned on, and AF set to 8x.
1280x1024

Zero framerate problems (towns or anywhere else).
Zero new problems, as far as I can tell, caused by patches. (Other than that one lockup.. and we''ve all had 1.02 for quite a while)

/shrug

News Comments > FlatOut 3 Next Week
14. Re: FlatOut 3 Next Week Dec 7, 2011, 08:20 wtf_man

I enjoyed FlatOut 1 and 2. I liked the music better in 1, but 2 had better tracks and multiplayer support... so overall, it was a good "evolutionary" improvement.

FlatOut 3 looks like utter garbage. Why the fuck isn't Bugbear making this?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 6, 2011, 10:20 wtf_man

If LTE sucks the battery so hard... why don't they implement something where LTE is only turned on when you web browse or stream internet media, and then reverts back to 3G for everything else. One really doesn't need the speed ALL THE TIME.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
34. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 5, 2011, 13:49 wtf_man

I guess for #2 I'm injecting my personal willingness to purchase any DECENT DLC they put out for the game. (Horse Armor not counting as Decent... and I think they learned their lesson from that).

As for numbers... I think that 3.4 Million ($450 Million in sales) in the first 2 days covers the proof for #1 and #3. Although that is Total Sales for all platforms, even if the PC sales is only 1/3rd of that, it's pretty damn good, IMO. I'm also willing to speculate that the PC Sales are more than 33%, mainly because of the draw of the mod community.

As for the Consturction Set not being out... there are already over 1000 mods for Skyrim on Skyrimnexus.com... mostly using the TES IV Construction set. I can imagine how much it will explode after the New Editor is out and the Steam Compatibility is included.

You can pee in my Cheerios all you want, Beamer... but I still think there are some very revealing things about PC gaming from this title.

/shrug

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 5, 2011, 10:29 wtf_man

I think Skyrim proves 3 things that we've all known all along...

1. There IS a huge PC game market.
2. You CAN have a MOD Community, and still sell DLC.
3. Good games SELL WELL, regardless of piracy issues, and Draconian DRM isn't needed.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 4, 2011, 19:47 wtf_man

Alamar wrote on Dec 4, 2011, 19:24:
Hmmm... While Skyrim has lots of content... Isn't it also just 'more of the same'...

I think there is a huge difference between 2 franchises that "Shit Out" a new game almost every year... and one that takes 5 years between games.

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 4, 2011, 19:14 wtf_man

That's what? 4-5 weeks for Skyrim? (Including a week or 2 of pre-orders)

Looks like Call of Duty: MW3 has shot it's wad. (Or was it Battlefield 3? I get them confused...pretty sure both were recent releases)

News Comments > Half-Life 3 Trolling?
65. Re: Half-Life 3 Trolling? Dec 2, 2011, 20:48 wtf_man

Too Late.

Valve can lick my portal that smells left4dead.

News Comments > Free-to-Play Lineage II Begins
2. Re: Free-to-Play Lineage II Begins Dec 1, 2011, 09:13 wtf_man

I wouldn't go by Gamespot stuff... but in this case, it's probably accurate.

The East's PVE Grind-fests, and PVP Gank-fests, usually doesn't appeal much to the West... no matter how skimpy they make the female Armor.

News Comments > Skyrim Patch Wednesday
29. Re: Skyrim Patch Wednesday Nov 29, 2011, 09:30 wtf_man

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Nov 29, 2011, 01:33:
As for the patch.. too bad my Companions questline hasn't been fixed. Now it's still stuck after the Silver Hand attacke Jarrklvaksie, damnit.

I didn't run into any issues with the Companions quests... however I have run into a few quests that are bugged. If you are stuck on a bugged quest... type in the console:

player.setstage <Quest ID> <Stage #>

You can get the Quest ID from here:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Category:Skyrim-Quests

Click on a link to the quest you are stuck on... the ID will be near the top of the page and the Stage numbers will be in a table near the bottom. If the Quest is bugged near the end... look for the Green checkmark that signifies the stage number of the end (usually 200).

From your description, I assume you are doing the Companion Quest "Blood's Honor"
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Blood%27s_Honor

You'd type in the console:
player.setstage C04 200 (If You are stuck after Kodlak was killed)

This comment was edited on Nov 29, 2011, 09:40.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Beta, Delay
3. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta, Delay Nov 28, 2011, 22:13 wtf_man

This kind of reminds me of a modern version of the Wizardry (1-7) Series, except a party of 4 instead of 6.

It'd be really cool to see those old games redone like this.

News Comments > AMD Catalyst 11.11b Performance Drivers
16. Re: AMD Catalyst 11.11b Performance Drivers Nov 27, 2011, 11:08 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on Nov 27, 2011, 01:47:
Yeah, I'm already doing that. I think the issue is that the game is highly CPU-dependent. My CPU is relatively old and only clocked at 3 GHz. Apparently you need at least 4 GHz to get a good framerate in cities.

Ah... that might explain it... My Core 2 Duo E8600 is running at 4GHz... but it always has, so I didn't even think of that. I guess that's one of the benefits to a liquid cooled and overclocked CPU and GPU rig... the need to upgrade comes less often (if you aren't into pushing BS synthetic benchmark numbers every year, for bragging rights).

11. Re: AMD Catalyst 11.11b Performance Drivers Nov 27, 2011, 00:10 wtf_man

Pundit Guy wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 22:39:
I've got everything except shadows on ultra, and I'm not having any trouble with my 5850 at 1080p. I haven't seen FRAPS dip below 45 and it consistently hovers around 60.

Yeah... that makes sense... Morrowind and Oblivion ran crappy with shadows turned up... and even though Bethesda claims this is a "new engine" it still uses the bulk of the Gamebryo renderer.

Jerykk, try running your shadows 1 notch down... there isn't a huge visual difference from Ultra down to High.

5. Re: AMD Catalyst 11.11b Performance Drivers Nov 26, 2011, 21:21 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on Nov 26, 2011, 19:52:
These gave me a nice performance boost in Skyrim and Arkham City. Skyrim still runs like ass in cities but it's better than before.

Either AMD Cards are crap for Skyrim, or you are running settings too high for your resolution.

Skyrim runs fine in any of the cities, on high settings, with my nearly 5 year old 8800GTX @ 1280x1024.

2476 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo