Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2644 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May?
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:44 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:39:
Another MMO, just what we need

Well... since they are only going to possibly "announce it" in May... I'd have to guess that it's still a long ways off.

I hope they take more notes from Guild Wars 2 then WoW... because that's the business model to follow... and probably the gameplay model as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near
2. Re: Wasteland 2 Kickstarted; OS X and Linux Thresholds Near Mar 16, 2012, 10:40 wtf_man

I'm on the fence about backing this one. I never played the first one, yet I like old-school PC games that are modernized for today's resolutions and OS's (they don't necessarily have to be graphical masterpieces.. but not pre-millenium either).

Anyone have any experiences with the first game that would convince me to back this project?

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch
5. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 16, 2012, 10:31 wtf_man

Rhino wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 10:26:
Likewise, to be honest. Maybe somebody who plays melee more could shed some light, but it just strikes me as potentially annoying unless it's rare.

I play melee.

It only happens when you crit and the damage is enough to kill the enemy. As you add skill perks (for me, 1h), you will crit a little more often, but the kill cams are really not all that annoying to me. I guess if you buff up with all kinds of potions, enchantments, etc. to make them happen almost constantly... it would be over the top.

If you don't like them... I believe there is a mod on Skyrim Nexus to disable them.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May?
3. Re: The Elder Scrolls MMOG Announcement in May? Mar 16, 2012, 10:24 wtf_man

Heh... I kept saying back when Bethesda and Interplay were having their litigation that the MMO they were working on was NOT Fallout, but most likely a TES MMO.

Looks like it that will be confirmed soon.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs
64. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 16, 2012, 09:13 wtf_man

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2012, 08:48:
I see your point about the engine but Bethesda licensed the engine as well, it wasn't an inhouse creation.

Bethesda only licenses the Rendering Engine (Gamebryo). Everything else is in-house. (Radiant AI, Dialog and Quest Engines, etc.) You cannot build a Fallout 3 or TES game with Gamebryo, alone.

That is why they claim Skyrim is a "new engine", while the rendering engine is still a tweaked Gamebryo engine. They just happen to think all of their in-house engines plus a tweaked Gamebryo engine = One big RPG engine.

I won't debate whether that thinking is correct... but the bottom line is pretty much all Obsidian had to do was come up with the content.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs
3. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 15, 2012, 21:01 wtf_man

As the Ars Technica article describes... many publishers do this.

Why linking developer bonuses to Metacritic...

It's stupid... but apparently an industry standard.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2012, 22:42 wtf_man

Sweeney 'doesn't see' top-end browser games replacing consoles.

Because tablets that can wirelessly stream to the TV... is what will replace consoles.
(Example: iPad with Apple TV using "airplay"... of course there will be some Android equivalent eventually).

~The games are cheap.
~The accelerometer + some screen real-estate for touch buttons makes a decent controller.
~As the player, you can watch the tablet or the TV
~onlookers vane watch the TV.
~Tablets are finally getting above 1080p resolution (Ipad 3 for now, Android soon)
~You ca take your games with you when you travel.

There's no need for a Wii U console, since popular tablets will be able to do the same thing.
As for a new XBox or Playstation... there might be one last model squeezed out before tablet technology completely obliterates them, IMO.

Watching the console kiddies squirm, as their platform of choice gets less and less attention, will make me smile.

News Comments > The Boondock Saints Game Official
2. Re: The Boondock Saints Game Official Mar 12, 2012, 10:13 wtf_man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-G9vrgPLk

Is it Dead?

News Comments > "Spectacular" Crytek Announcement Next Month
9. Re: Mar 12, 2012, 10:10 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 09:41:
Dont they mean Craptacular?? Apart from the visually impressive Cryengine3 their games are fucking stupid and score a big fat 0 gameplaywise.

I liked the first Far Cry, but that's about it. And yeah... it would have been better without the mutants towards the end.

News Comments > Fraud Claim Dropped in Infinity Ward Lawsuit
6. Re: Fraud Claim Dropped in Infinity Ward Lawsuit Mar 9, 2012, 20:22 wtf_man

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 18:25:
Respawn Entertainment is operating and working on something for EA that many think will be revealed at E3 this year.

The something = Call of Battlefield: Modern Duty

Those idiots don't know how to make anything else.

News Comments > New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free
17. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 15:21 wtf_man

Beelzebud wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 13:07:
wtf_man wrote on Mar 9, 2012, 09:55:
They need a little more description of their plans... for example... if it's going to be top-down 2d... I would have little interest, unless there was an ios / android version.

It's not going to be a first person shooter, if that's what you're asking.

No... but at least isometric 3D would be appropriate for the desktop, I would think.

News Comments > New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free
1. Re: New Wasteland Will Be DRM-Free Mar 9, 2012, 09:55 wtf_man

They need a little more description of their plans... for example... if it's going to be top-down 2d... I would have little interest, unless there was an ios / android version.  

News Comments > Molyneux Quits Lionhead
8. Re: Molyneux Quits Lionhead Mar 7, 2012, 10:13 wtf_man

I believe EA owns Populous... so i doubt we'd see a modern rendition, unless EA decides to take the plunge. Since Sim City 2013 just got announced... there might be a chance, though.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
21. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 6, 2012, 09:29 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 05:02:
The've made some under the hood improvements, faster booting, less resources used, better driver support for the latest hardware (as usual), better ways to restore a system that was infected with malware, etc. etc.

Propaganda and lies, all of it.

Well... I wasn't defending them, nor stating it as fact. Just going by some of the things I've read. Here is a brief article on all of the security enhancements: Protecting you from malware and here is a brief article about "System Refresh" Windows 8 with inbuilt computer repair

While there is no silver bullet to security, it is good to see them making it tougher for the hackers.

That said, I still won't get Windows 8, unless I can disable metro. I played with the developer preview, but haven't played with the customer preview. I did, however play with Windows Server 8... and they pretty much pulled the same shit with the start menu. It's not quite as bad as the consumer OS... but still aggravating.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Can Windows 8 satisfy desktop and tablet? Mar 5, 2012, 15:37 wtf_man

jimnms wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 13:39:
It could if they make the Metro UI optional so desktop users can turn it off (or better yet not even install it)

The problem is that they probably won't make it optional, since they want you to buy stuff from their metro app store.

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 5, 2012, 15:24:
The more important question you have to ask yourself is that if you want to have the "old" interface from Windows 7, why do you want to upgrade to W8? Is there really such a huge amount of upgrades and a huge leap ahead from W7 to 8 ? Other then the interface of course.

The've made some under the hood improvements, faster booting, less resources used, better driver support for the latest hardware (as usual), better ways to restore a system that was infected with malware, etc. etc.

Whether that's enough to warrant an upgrade depends on how much more of that under the hood stuff ends up in the final product.

However, there has to be a way to TOTALLY disable metro before I'd consider it.

If enough people bitch... MAYBE they'll listen... but it looks doubtful after this latest consumer build.

News Comments > Steam Hardware Plans?
5. Re: Steam Hardware Plans? Mar 3, 2012, 11:33 wtf_man

Yay! Another "Phantom" console!  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: windows 8 Mar 3, 2012, 09:35 wtf_man

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 22:18:
There's got to be a way. Maybe they just disabled it in this build, to keep people's attention on Metro.

MS completely REMOVED the menu in the consumer preview build. There is a taskbar hack to get an ugly "basic" menu back... or you have to use a 3rd party menu like viStart.

Disable Metro

Even then... I don't see how those instructions Disable Metro... I only seen adding a menu back.

nin wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 23:17:
Their bread and butter is business, and I'd be shocked if they think they're going to force metro on that.

While I would normally agree... However, MS is focusing on a Metro app store, to try to make shitloads of cash like Apple. The only way they can do it it to Ram Metro down people's throats. MS has often forced things... and the complete removal of the start menu in this latest preview build does not bode well.

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock in April
9. Re: Legend of Grimrock in April Mar 2, 2012, 21:07 wtf_man

Day 1 purchase for me!

I hope they do an IOS version.

News Comments > id on DOOM 4 Images
18. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 10:00 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:56:
ItBurn wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 09:43:
I actually liked doom 3 better. I love horror games and atmosphere is one of the most important things for me. Also, I so miss games with dark areas... Seriously, what the hell.

Sure Doom3 was cool for about the first half an hour. After that it just didnt seem scary but just very gimmicky. In my opinion it failed both as a horror game and as a proper shooter, since it never did both very well. Just my opinion though, to each his own.

I agree that Doom3 wasn't overly fantastic... but it wasn't as bad as most people rage about.

I think mediocre is a fair description... but for people that expected better than mediocre, they apparently got their cheerios peed in, by id.

As for Doom 4's "awesome"... I will bet that's after the textures pop in.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 2, 2012, 09:10 wtf_man

jimnms wrote on Mar 1, 2012, 23:28:
Now it's just something I toy with in VirtualBox. I have about half a dozen different distro's installed, but I don't see myself using it as my primary desktop OS any time soon. After all these years, Linux still has a long way to go to be a serious threat in the desktop OS market. When it comes to servers, it would still be my preferred server OS if I were still in that business.

Well... as for *nix... OSX is has been my primary home OS since 2007 (Leopard). I still have a separate Windows box for gaming... and I still dabble with Linux on virtual machines, like you. At work, of course, I work with Windows heavily since I am part of a team that oversees 1600+ PCs and 120+ servers.

So my switch at home to OSX had nothing to do with being an Apple fan... it was because I really liked what I saw in Leopard (We also support a half dozen or so Macs at work). I'm not really caring for the IOS-ification of OSX... but, my point is, OSX looks more poised to get market share, than any linux distro. I think this will hold true even more, for as obnoxious as Windows 8 Metro is on the desktop.

2644 Comments. 133 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo