Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2555 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
15. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 22, 2012, 00:37 wtf_man

Scud wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 19:41:
Tony Montana, he is not.

Kim Schmitz: "Say Hello To my little friend!!!"

Officer: "Uh sir... please put that back in your pants."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up
34. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 12:41 wtf_man

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 12:00:
Must have skipped the part where I disagree with alot of the way Bioware themselves have handled it. Selective reading and all that.

No, I didn't miss it.

However, first you accuse me of exaggerating, then follow up with people are making a mountain out of a molehill.

That's being awfully defensive over a game that OBVIOUSLY isn't doing as well as expected by the publisher.

Whether they spent 200, 300, or 500 million is irrelevant... they obviously DID spend a shitload more than most MMO's that are in development, and their necks are out on the line. We don't know the exact numbers... but it's easy to tell that EA isn't all that pleased with the market they have, so far.

It's all simple economics and observations. Yes, it is also speculation... but I claimed that from the beginning with "Looks to ME like this game will flop." So, I'm not sure who really has the "selective reading", here.

No biggie... it's just an observation / opinion on what I have seen for market reaction to this game. Unless they start pulling First couple of year WoW-like "climbing" numbers... they are going have a real hard time.

30. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:39 wtf_man

Granz wrote on Jan 21, 2012, 11:32:
I stopped reading at "I don't even play it". That really is code for "who cares what you say".

Wow, another one butt hurt from general internet observations.

So I can't have an opinion since I don't play the game, huh?

Well.. your opinion is just as ignore-able, since this is a gaming community where we discuss things, and you post count shows that you aren't truly part of it, yet, Mr. Suspect Rank.

28. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 11:27 wtf_man

I never said the game was bad. As for the "exaggeration", I guess that's the impression I've been getting in various forums regarding their downtime.

That said, you seem awfully butt hurt over some observations that have been taken from internet chatter and soem news announcements.

None of it is scientific... but again, things don't look all that good for the the game (economically), regardless of whether you enjoy it or not.

/shrug

EDIT: And no I don't play it... lack of interest in Star Wars for the most part... nothing personal against the developers. (Well maybe a little against the publisher. )

24. Re: The Old Republic Ilum PvP Follow-up Jan 21, 2012, 10:53 wtf_man

Looks to me like this game will flop. Rumor isthat they have spent anywhere from 300-500 million making this game... (I said rumor)... and EA's shares have dropped already because the sales have been short of expectations.

Combine that with people that are not subscribing after the first month... at least 30% according to the polls I've seen on different gaming sites, which normally isn't bad for an MMO, but would be bad for an MMO that cost an immense amount and already had underperformed in sales. Of course those polls aren't scientific... but it does give somewhat of an indication.

Then you have people reaching level cap within a week, and the majority of their player-base the upper levels within the first 3 weeks, and because of full voice overs...there's a real challenge to add enough content in a timely manner.

Finally add the major gripes of a crappy UI, the servers constantly being taken down, the broken quests, the typical launch bugs, and the failed patching that causes "emergency patches"... in an over-saturated market that has plenty of competition.

Yeah... that's not pretty. And while it may not flop as fast as say Warhammer Online did... it will probably flop harder due to the development costs.

News Comments > Skyrim Version 1.4 and Creation Kit Near
16. Re: Skyrim Version 1.4 and Creation Kit Near Jan 20, 2012, 09:27 wtf_man

I don't get it either.

I only have a core2 duo with an 8800GTX, and I have zero framerate problems in the cities.

Granted, I'm only running on High Settings instead of Ultra, but I've heard others are still having issues at lower settings.

I hope this latest patch will help.

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
2. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 15:22 wtf_man

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Forums have posts from players having trouble cancelling their accounts for the MMORPG yesterday on the eve of when the one-month free accounts activated on the game's first day will be billed for their first paid month of service.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

News Comments > Metaverse
8. Re: Metaverse Jan 19, 2012, 09:58 wtf_man

rist3903 wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 09:42:
turning off javascript enabled US visitors to view wikipedia during the blackout. at least thats what i read on some news sites. i dont visit wikipedia on a regular basis so was not able to test it.

Ah I was wondering why it wasn't blacked out for me. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah... it wasn't blacked-out for those of us that use No Scripts for Firefox, or Not Scripts for Chrome.

Scripts are bad, mkay. You can get drive by malware from any legitimate site that is infected or their advertising engines.

Whitelist only sites you trust and vist frequently, and keep scripting turned off for sites you browse occasionally... temporarily turn it on, if you really have to, for those sites.

News Comments > Out of the Black
30. Re: Out of the Black Jan 19, 2012, 09:05 wtf_man

Narf2029 wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 04:47:
It's election year folks. Vote against the incumbent. If legislation like this made it as far as it has, it's time to kick everyone out and start over.

AMEN!

http://www.kickthemallout.com/

News Comments > Out of the Black
11. Re: Into the Black Jan 18, 2012, 20:58 wtf_man

Blue wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 20:24:
Sepharo wrote on Jan 18, 2012, 20:13:
Into Out of the Black

Awesome. Stolen.

...as Seph phones a copyright attorney.

(Psssst, I hear the ones for RightHaven r gud!)

News Comments > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo
8. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 20:52 wtf_man

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 20:41:
To me it's just another front-end/downloader.

Well... I object to it on several levels.

First off... I don't like to be forced into anything... and forcing me to use their "service" to be able to utilize an application that I purchased doesn't sit well with me.

Then there's the fact that I don't particularly care for EA in the first place... and I absolutely refuse to give them my information, so they can sell it later, or target marketing crap at me. (And they will)

So, no... it's not just another "frontend downloader" to me. It's run by a shady company that wants control over my installed applications on MY machine. They can Fuck Off.

News Comments > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo
5. Re: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Demo Jan 17, 2012, 20:32 wtf_man

Ravener wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 20:18:
You do have to log in to Origin from within the game client before playing. >snip<

Enough stated there to conclude that I'll pass. Too bad, I was kind of looking forward to trying this one out.... but I will never make an Origin account.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 16, 2012, 10:39 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 01:34:
Maybe they are afraid to tinker with the "new" gamebryo game engine.

Maybe they don't have a rendering engine programmer, and leave that all to the company that they bought the engine from. We're talking Bethessda Game Studios, here... not ID. I would Imagine that their programmers mainly coded the game logic and the radiant AI stuff (whit is probably what Todd Howard was referring to as a "New Engine").

J wrote on Jan 16, 2012, 06:17:
My horse keeps getting killed. If only there were some way to protect it...

There is!
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1248

(Yes, I was countering the "Horse Armor DLC" joke with a real Mod option, as a joke in it's own way)

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 15, 2012, 17:11 wtf_man

ForgedReality wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 17:00:
Quests never run out. Talk to everyone in every town you visit. You'll never run out of quests.

I meant the "Hand-Crafted quests"... not the Radiant AI quests.

Of course, those go on forever.

Every once in a while... I still trigger a "Hand-Crafted quest" (Usually a Daedric one) as I'm walking around the wilderness looking for un-discovered map points.

It's cool to find those just by exploring.

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 15, 2012, 16:34 wtf_man

jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2012, 16:16:
Wow, Skyrim's got legs. Bethesda must be cooking their steaks over bricks of cash at their company barbecue.

Well... I've got 160 hours in, with my first and only character. And while I have done almost all of the quest content... there's still wandering and discovering dungeons I haven't been to on the map, and crafting. I can see this pushing 200hours on one character... plus playing with mods here and there...

I can't think of any other recent game that gives that kind of value for the money. And that's without community created quest mods nor DLC.

Even at full price of $50... that's a hell of a deal.

Bottom line... they deserve their "bricks of cash", and I hope other developers and publishers take notice.

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
38. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 15:12 wtf_man

Wasn't going to buy ME3 anyway, but...

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection?
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

Yeah... opt-out AFTER they have already collected some data... that's just fuckin' brilliant. No Thanks.

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
6. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Jan 15, 2012, 10:41 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on Jan 14, 2012, 20:04:
If you like atmospheric puzzle-platformers, LIMBO is great. It was also on sale for $2.50 during the Steam holiday sale.

Well, the video on Steam reminded me of the game Another World, which is one of the few platformers that I really liked.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 14, 2012, 19:41 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2012, 17:20:
All 3 of my Congressman still listed as "in favor" of SOPA yet all claim to be against big government and expanding its already over-reaching powers. Liars or idiots? Or does it even matter?

Again... they are all liars and idiots. Vote them all out, regardless of party. All incumbents must go! At least the freshman (that aren't up for re-election yet) haven't learned how to fuck us over, yet.

Try voting independent or non-partisan candidates... at least it seems like they really WANT to serve the people. That's the ONLY way to break the Status Quo!

http://www.kickthemallout.com/

*Steps off of the soap box*

News Comments > New Via Digital Distribution
2. Re: New Via Digital Distribution Jan 14, 2012, 18:58 wtf_man

Hmmm... LIMBO looks interesting.  

News Comments > Codemasters Complaints
17. Re: Codemasters Complaints Jan 14, 2012, 10:32 wtf_man

I would think that most studios do salaries instead of hourly for the exact reason that they legally don't have to pay overtime.

So, if one agrees to a "salary" position, they should not expect to get any overtime pay.

That said... "salary jobs", in general, should be illegal except for what they were originally intended for... upper management that usually makes a ton more than the "top non-manager workers". You know... specifically the upper management folks that get huge bonuses every year. (And probably put in very little overtime by comparison to a game dev)

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2012, 10:39.

2555 Comments. 128 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo