Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2597 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 10:19 wtf_man

Yeah... the only difference is up close objects. Which is fine... but hardly worth it to me... especially since I have an old video card and I'm not running even ultra settings yet (or whatever it is above high).

When I get a new video card... I'll download this... get all my mods working... and start the game over with a new character.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
45. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 09:13 wtf_man

panbient wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 08:18:
Obsidian doesn't sound like it has a project in mind, it's just seeing $$$EASY FUNDING!!!$$$ and trolling for dollars and design documents. Or at least that's the impression these kind of press releases all over the net imply in my eyes.

While that may be so (about the Easy Funding)... they aren't asking for money nor starting a kickstarter until they have a project in mind.

They are asking the community what THEY want... then, I guess they'll try to make whatever turns out to be a popular and feasible request. In that context, I think it's kind of a cool opportunity to get a bigger named studio to make something that the community wants instead of something they wanted to make.

We'll just have to see what, if anything, they kickstart. If it's something cool... I'll throw in some cash. Although their games have been buggy... I've enjoyed them for the most part.

20. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 13, 2012, 23:18 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 22:10:
Amen to your rules, but IS it a pre-purchase? I wasn't under the impression that paying to the kickstart project gave you a copy once said game was finished?

Creston

In Double-Fine's case... the "rewards" for a $15 pledge is the game from STEAM, access to beta, and access to backer's forums. For a $30 pledge, the reward is the $15 rewards plus an HD copy of the documentary of making the game, for $100 pledge the reward is the the$15 and $30 rewards, and a signed poster by Schafer and crew.... and it goes up from there.

So, to recap... in Double Fine's case... yes, for $15 or more of a pledge, you get the game. Think of it as a fully paid pre-order. You also won't get charged until March 13th (when the fund raising deadline has ended)

That said, that doesn't mean all who try kickstarter would also give the game away to their backers. (well, not for $15)

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2012, 23:30.

News Comments > Tim Schafer Interviews
1. Re: Tim Schaefer Interviews Feb 13, 2012, 20:35 wtf_man

I pledged $30 yesterday. I don't think it was that big of a risk, given the talent that is involved.  

1. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 13, 2012, 20:31 wtf_man

What do they have besides Alpha Protocol that is their own IP?

Although I wouldn't mind an Alpha Protocol sequel... I'd love to see them do a Vampire Masquerade RPG... especially if they picked up some ex-trokia devs along the way.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3
7. Re: Gone Gold - Mass Effect 3 Feb 13, 2012, 10:22 wtf_man

Zero interest. Not signing up for Origin. I bought ME1 on Steam and couldn't get into it... of course Skyrim came out like a week later, so I didn't really give it a chance. I will play it someday when I have time... but from what I saw, I didn't get what the big deal was. Apparently System Shock and Deus Ex are the only two "Sci-Fi RPG series" that have successfully grabbed me. Otherwise I rather do the tired and true Medieval Fantasy worlds.  

News Comments > Legend of Grimrock Compatibility Test Results
1. Re: Legend of Grimrock Compatibility Test Results Feb 13, 2012, 10:17 wtf_man

Can't wait for this game. I wish whomever has the Wizardry IP would contract these guys to remake those games.  

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2012, 09:03 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 02:25:
So while the absolute amount and the quickness in getting to it is in large part because of double fine's reputation, its possible to be unknown and still succeed on a kickstarter.

Oh, I'm sure there are other projects that get funded.

I'm just saying, with developing a game... a person that has zero games under their belts, would have a tough time raising money. They'd have to have a late alpha or early beta done, to convince most people.

But sight unseen... not even a concept outline... just "We want to make an oldschool adventure game"... The only way anyone would get funding that way, is people that are famous for doing it in the first place.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Feb 12, 2012, 21:27 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on Feb 12, 2012, 21:05:
I don't think indecisiveness is really an issue for Schafer. He's stated that he's wanted to make an old-school adventure game for quite some time and I don't see him suddenly changing his mind. Also, he hasn't promised anything more than that so it's not like he has to bow to the every whim of the contributors. All he has to do is deliver an old-school adventure game.

This.

And... the fact that Schafer and Gilbert are famous for this genre, which is what perpetuated the "faith" and the quickness of getting more funding than they originally targeted.

This would not happen with an "average joe" trying to fund an adventure game (or any other game). The reputation is what made Double Fine's "kickstarter experiment" such a success.

News Comments > Star Trek Game Next Year
34. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 12, 2012, 10:37 wtf_man

I like TOS better than the rest of the franchise... mainly because I'm an old fart and grew up on TOS. That doesn't mean I don't like TNG DS9, Voyager, etc... I just favor TOS.

That said... my two favorite episodes are Balance of Terror and Doomsday Machine... both of which involve heavy ship combat. Also ST-II is my favorite movie of the original cast. So, I enjoyed the 2008 reboot, and I actually appreciate the split timeline, so it doesn't step on the original stuff.

I still want a new Bridge Commander. I think a Simulation / RPG hybrid would be awesome. (Hybrid in the sense that Deus Ex as a Shooter / RPG hybrid). A pure simulation would most likely be boring. While the original Bridge Commander was Ok... I think it could have been much better with a lot more polish.

Anyway... that's all an opinion of a fairly avid TOS fan. Do I go to conventions and shit? No. But it's still one of my favorite shows, to this day.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Feb 11, 2012, 18:39 wtf_man

I switched to Chrome after Firefox 4 and 5 sucked so badly on OSX last year, and I haven't looked back. I use it on Windows and Linux, too.

One of the main reasons it took me so long to consider Chrome (from trying it before) was because there weren't equivalent extensions at the time. But when Firefox 4 came out, I looked at Chrome again, and there was pretty much everything I wanted, extension-wise.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2012, 19:40.

News Comments > Star Trek Game Next Year
9. Re: Star Trek Game Next Year Feb 11, 2012, 15:24 wtf_man

The only way I'll even consider this, is if it will be like Bridge Commander and possibly with "Away Missions".  

News Comments > Skyrim Sizzle Reel
24. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 15:30 wtf_man

Yeah... I'm not sure how Blue got that out of what I sent.

Definitely... this is about Bethesda doing "Let the devs create anything they want for a week" (for the game), POST LAUNCH.

As others have said... most of them were awesome.

I wish more companies would do this... you get a bunch of good, unrestricted, and creative submissions that can make the product even better.

I'm sure we will see a majority of these things in DLC, or even some inspired mods.

News Comments > Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2
3. Re: Notch Offers to Fund Psychonauts 2 Feb 7, 2012, 10:15 wtf_man

I don't think he's the anti-christ... but he has is moments.

As for this offer... that's cool I guess... but I wonder how Tim is taking it.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Press Beta
11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 7, 2012, 10:10 wtf_man

Turglar wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 09:35:
There's no way this game can live up to the hype fanbois are giving it. These same people on the GW2 train will be complaining about it a week after release, just before hopping on the next unreleased mmo's dick.

I think that depends on one's expectations.

At worst, the PVE will be WoW, totally designed around / for "public quests", plus some private story-line questing, with no subscription fee.

Although I'm hoping for better... I can live with that.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Press Beta
8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Press Beta Feb 7, 2012, 09:02 wtf_man

I'm looking forward to it as well... but I won't do beta. I beta'd GW1 so much (Like a year before it launched and up through launch) that I was fairly burned out on it by release time. So, this time I want to be surprised.

As for realeasing now... I'd rather they get it right than release another "MMO Turd", which a majority of them are.

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Kit & "Surprise" Tuesday
64. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 5, 2012, 11:42 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 06:46:
^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 03:20:
I, however, still take exception to your statement that the interface needs to be different between the PC and the 360; if you make it right, between the 4 triggers, d-pad, 2 thumbsticks, and A-B-X-Y, you have more than enough options to implement select/multi-select, page up/down, slider adjustment, and a few left over afterward.
With a mouse and keyboard, you can do things you just can't do with a gamepad. You can select things directly without needing to cycle or scroll. You can also drag and drop. And right-click. A keyboard also has significantly more keys than a gamepad has buttons, allowing for things like hotbars whereas console games rely on radial menus. The best PC UIs are the ones that take advantage of the features that can only be done with M/KB.

Also, one forgets that a UI designed for a gamepad is blatently obvious to a PC gamer that uses a mouse and keyboard... which is why they "Bitch so much" about a "Consolized UI". Jerykk is right... the UI really needs to be different for the PC version.

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2012, 11:48.

56. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 4, 2012, 20:58 wtf_man

Double post, sorry. My Internet connection is having issues today.

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2012, 21:05.

55. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 4, 2012, 20:57 wtf_man

Jerykk wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 19:41:
You can't design a UI that's optimized for both gamepad and M/KB because the two control schemes are so vastly different. It really is necessary to redesign the UI for PC ports, as Bioware has done with their games. It won't create support/debugging nightmare because even if the UI was exactly the same as the console version, it would still need to receive an equal amount of testing and debugging on the PC.

Clap

37. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 4, 2012, 12:38 wtf_man

Well, it's your prerogative to disagree, but I prefer more traditional RPG PC user interfaces.

/shrug

2597 Comments. 130 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo