Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2522 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal?
6. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 15:35 wtf_man

creatorswhim wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 12:06:
Did you play any of these MMOs, or are you just good at reeling off lists of games considered declasse in the current market?

I beta'd a few and played/tried a few when they went Free2Play, or had free trials available... (And they were still garbage)

Almost every one of them had the same thing wrong... way to early too release, needed a lot more development time, although the small budget ones couldn't really help that. And because they flopped out the gate... even a year or two later after they went F2P, they unfortunately still hadn't got to a "launch worthy" product, in most people's opinion (which is why they continued to flop afterwards, or get shut down).

Anyway... the point is... InBlack stated about how something couldn't be any worse than WoW... and although I personally don't like WoW... it had a solid launch and has been a good MMO for most people. So, the games I pointed out are Definitely worse than WoW... whether you rely on the commercial success portion, or the just plain fact that these games were bad in most people's opinion.

So were talking about a company that has a small budget and (fairly accurate to say) a flopped post apocalyptic MMO already out there. I think it's fair to surmise that it will/would be worse than WoW.

/shrug

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal?
2. Re: Bethesda v. Interplay Dismissal? Jan 5, 2012, 10:24 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 10:21:
Im still interested in that Bulgarian Fallout MMO. I mean it cant be any worse than World of Warcraft can it?

It Can't???

Obviously you haven't played some of the flop MMO's that didn't even deserve a launch.
(Horizons, Alganon, Matrix Online, Darkfall, Vanguard, Dark and Light, Tabula Rasa... to name a few off the top of my head)

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 10:30.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 5, 2012, 09:25 wtf_man

Dades wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 07:16:
That rate hike had nothing to do with profit margins and everything to do with costs, their licensing costs are now over ten times higher than two years ago.

I understand that. That's why it pisses me off that they are spending the money on creating a series instead of buying content.

PHJF wrote on Jan 5, 2012, 02:29:
Any show on HBO is worth ten thousand shows on cable, so more power to Netflix.

Sorry... I couldn't care less about HBO's own content. I wouldn't pay a dime for their channel when I had Satellite. So if Netflix turns into an HBO... then yes, I will have to dump Netflix and look for a service that is similar to how is Netflix now.

4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 4, 2012, 22:47 wtf_man

Dades wrote on Jan 4, 2012, 21:27:
Netflix has several years of great decisions to offset a few bad ones they made last year. If you're so reactionary that you can't see the bigger picture then I suggest cancelling your account but I wouldn't hold out much hope of the studios or cable companies treating you any better.

How does making a series give them contract leverage?

If they are going to pay a billion dollars to the studios then they might as well make it themselves for their own service and retain the ability to license it out to others.

That doesn't explain it. Especially if the "series" is a flop.

I'm not paying them a fee to become their own Hollywood. I'm paying them a fee to stream content, at a time I choose, commercial free. That's what makes the service great.

So... they make their own series... and start buying less content... and end up with several series (Like an HBO)... and little to no mainstream content (which is what I'm paying them for in the first place).

Yeah... that makes a lot of sense.

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 4, 2012, 21:05 wtf_man

Netflix to Launch New Original Series

Oh for fuck's sake. Is that what they do with our rate hikes???

How about... you know.... licensing more content.

First the double rate hike by separating DVD and Streaming service.
The the attempted renaming of the DVD service to Quickster (to potentially sell or kill off that service).
Now this.

Fuckin' idiots.

News Comments > Firefly and Buffy MMOG Developer Closed
11. Re: Firefly and Buffy MMOG Developer Closed Jan 4, 2012, 09:52 wtf_man

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 23:01:
So what exactly was their business model anyhow..

is it like the meme?

1) Make MMO Engine
2) Hope developers use it for free
3) ....
4) Profit?

Like.. huh?

I think they sold the platform (cheap for the engine and building tools, like Garage Games) + was supposed to get royalties from completed projects. I think it was more than just an MMO engine and tools... it was also hosting the servers and a billing system, included.

That said... if nobody completed a project... there's no way they could get profits.

News Comments > Firefly and Buffy MMOG Developer Closed
1. Re: Firefly and Buffy MMOG Developer Closed Jan 3, 2012, 21:14 wtf_man

"Although thousands of developers showed interest in the Multiverse Platform, Multiverse wasn't able to achieve a profitable business model..."

Uh... I highly doubt that there were thousands of PROFESSIONAL developers interested in using a "canned MMO engine". More like a ton of Hobbyists that wanted to run their own MMO.

News Comments > Horizon on the Horizon
9. Re: Horizon on the Horizon Jan 3, 2012, 15:27 wtf_man

Cutter wrote on Jan 3, 2012, 13:30:
I remember the Horizons MMO. Man, it was bad.

It's still around... it's called Istaria or something, now... after changing companies 3-4 times and avoiding Bankruptcy shut downs.... some of the original Devs ended up buying it back, I think.

Oh, and I'm sure it still sucks!

News Comments > Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit?
2. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Settle Fallout Lawsuit? Jan 3, 2012, 10:27 wtf_man

Yeah... probably Bethesda paid Interplay off just to get rid of the "Abomination MMO" that they were sub-contracting out.

Heck.. they're swimming in funds from Skyrim, so it was probably a lot easier to just settle.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
51. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 2, 2012, 23:01 wtf_man

PHJF wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 18:46:
$1 for DNF?

Fine, Broussard; you win. For $1 I will buy Duke Nukem Forever. May god have mercy on my soul.

Uhh... unfortunately Broussard already got his money when Gearbox bought the franchise and the IP from 3DRealms. So, people not buying the game wasn't punishing him at all.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 2, 2012, 18:31 wtf_man

Krovven wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 16:57:
Invites privs are now locked to only Prez and myself. I'll open them up again next time or make a new group.

So how did that work in the first place?

Did you and Prez just start with people on your Steam Friends list?

I noticed a quite a few Blues regulars on the group list. Good Job! And cool idea.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 2, 2012, 13:01 wtf_man

linfosoma wrote on Jan 2, 2012, 12:54:
LA Noire is very fun, I hate the main character but looking for clues and interrogating people (provided that Phelps doesnt flip and starts randomly shouting) is entertaining.

I actually planned on getting that... then a friend gifted me "Fallout 3 GOTY" on Steam, and I also planned on getting "Fallout NV Ultimate" when it comes out.... so it may be a while before I can get to it.

6. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 2, 2012, 12:56 wtf_man

@Pankin

Well, yeah... it can't last forever.

9 weeks in a row at #1 is pretty awesome, though.

News Comments > Tech Bits
14. Re: Tech Bits Jan 1, 2012, 11:34 wtf_man

TurdFergasun wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 19:30:
i know you like meat and potatoes, but alot of ppl like change for the better and not just "what was good for muh pah is good fer me and everyone else" mentality.

I wasn't claiming to "speak for everyone". It just seems like an unnecessary fad, like 3D. Most people that I know can't stand 3D, and it isn't exactly flying off the shelves like the manufactures and content providers had hoped.

I suppose if things get cheap enough, like they have with Blu Ray, eventually this stuff will catch on... but I don't see a very quick transition.

11. Re: Tech Bits Dec 31, 2011, 11:24 wtf_man

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 31, 2011, 10:29:
First test broadcast of ultra definition scheduled for 2020? Uh, ok -- guess I'll wait until 2025 or so to buy a TV like this.

Right.

Also, Youtube and others can stream that resolution sooner?
Yeah, I want to hit my bandwidth cap after a few shows / movies.

I can already see the pot marks underneath the makeup on the actors faces at 1080p. Why the fuck would I want even more poor-skin revealing detail???

Seriously though... 1080p on a 60 inch TV is BEYOND clear. And more clarity than that seems kind like a fad... like 3D. Also... people are just now starting to rebuild their libraries with Blu Ray (Because it's cheap enough now) and HD formats on Hard Drives or Home Servers... So, with not that much need to gain clarity, do the content providers really think people will want to rebuild Yet AGAIN???

News Comments > Mobilization
9. Re: Mobilization Dec 30, 2011, 16:33 wtf_man

Halo wrote on Dec 30, 2011, 16:11:
Verizon backs down from fee.
that was quick...

They'll just end up jacking their rates, and everyone will have to pay regardless if they use Verizon's auto-billing vs. People that pay online, manually, every month.

Not that it really matters to me... I'm just saying if they can't get you one way, they'll get you another.

News Comments > Mobilization
4. Re: Mobilization Dec 30, 2011, 13:33 wtf_man

Unfortunately, the banks charge businesses for processing credit cards. As they raise rates, eventually it has to be passed on to the consumer.

Gas Stations like Arco - AM / PM already do it.
Grocery Stores charging a credit / debit fee will be next.

It's getting to the point that for non-online transactions... it's cheaper to pull out X amount of cash for the week from your bank, and pay for everything with cash. (Safer too, with all the asshats out there trying to scan your card with a portable scanner and steal your shit)

1. Re: Tech Bits Dec 30, 2011, 12:08 wtf_man

I don't get what these "ultra resolutions" for TV are for.

We barely have broadcast at 1080p. Blu Ray and Streaming only do 1080p.

So wtf content can you get at 4K, let alone some of the ones that are doing 2K???

News Comments > Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears?
29. Re: Bethesda & Interplay Fallout Settlement Nears? Dec 29, 2011, 20:09 wtf_man

Sorry, I don't think Valve is all that great. 2 games of Portal and 2 games of Left4Dead, and still no HL-EP-3 nor HL-3.

Fuck Valve.

Which brings us back to the original statement... "Most of our beloved developers id, Bioware, Blizzard, et al. are all long gone too."

/shrug

News Comments > A Vampyre Story 2 On Hold, Cancellation Possible
7. Re: A Vampyre Story 2 On Hold, Cancellation Possible Dec 29, 2011, 16:57 wtf_man

nin wrote on Dec 29, 2011, 13:58:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD6Efggk5s8

LOL

2522 Comments. 127 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo