Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2613 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 23, 2012, 10:32 wtf_man

ibm wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 09:56:
I've never stayed long enough to bother registering.

Doctors have pills for that sort of thing, nowadays.

(Sorry, couldn't resist that little jab! )

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups
34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups Feb 23, 2012, 09:17 wtf_man

I would sign up, but I beta'd Guild Wars 1 for so long that I was burned out by the time it launched.

I don't want that to happen again. I'm still looking forward to this game, though.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
19. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 22, 2012, 10:18 wtf_man

Beamer wrote on Feb 22, 2012, 09:50:
But yeah, the amount of changes we've seen to how our CEOs operate ever since the top tax bracket dropped from >70% to <40% is insane.

I'm sorry, but NOBODY should be in a 70% tax bracket. That's fuckin' insane.

At the same time... these asshats that are in the 35%-40% brackets shouldn't be able to CHEAT their way down to 15%, either.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 22, 2012, 09:09 wtf_man

jimnms wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 22:48:
I prefer Xfce these days. Both Gnome and KDE are turning into turds.

I used to prefer XFCE, but switched to LXDE.
Unfortunately, even XFCE is fairly bloated, that is, if you are into lightweight, yet functional desktops.

Xubuntu can't come close to Lubuntu nor Linux Mint LXDE, as far as resource usage savings.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
6. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 21, 2012, 22:19 wtf_man

SirKnight wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 22:07:
There is no way him or any other exec deserves this kind of money. Very few people anywhere, if any at all, do not deserve to be paid like that.

Including asshat celebrities and sports players with 'da double digit IQs'.

At least most high paid CEOs are IN CHARGE of a multi-billion-dollar company... the problem is, they don't really seem to be held accountable, to earn all that pay.

News Comments > New WHQL-Certified GeForce Drivers
10. Re: New WHQL-Certified GeForce Drivers Feb 21, 2012, 20:53 wtf_man

Between 1.4 and these drivers, I'm running Skyrim on Ultra settings on an 8800GTX without issue.  

News Comments > Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M
31. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M Feb 21, 2012, 09:54 wtf_man

Prez wrote on Feb 21, 2012, 00:32:
At what point does this game need to be completely redefined because it got TOO MUCH money?

It can't have too much... two things that constantly are "short" due to funding are amount of content and polish. Since oldschool adventures are fairly straight-forward... they are easy to polish (may add a little more graphical detail here and there)... so that leaves extending the content... whether it's adding more plot-twists, more side-plots, more puzzles, or hopefully - more humor.

18. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M Feb 20, 2012, 19:37 wtf_man

Dev wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 19:21:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 20, 2012, 19:09:
If they can make something on par with Grim Fandango, or the Monkey Island 1 & 2 remakes... I'll be very happy.
Tim has already talked about it in answering questions about it. Lucasarts never ever sells any IP's so they can't do anything with that. Lucasarts would rather the IP's rot away.

I think you misunderstood me.

I said if they can make something "on par" with those games. (Not, continue those series)

The remakes of MI 1 & 2 are a good example of how an oldschool adventure can be modernized (increased to modern resolutions, voice-acting, and improved interface), yet still retain it's oldschool charm.

15. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M Feb 20, 2012, 19:09 wtf_man

If they can make something on par with Grim Fandango, or the Monkey Island 1 & 2 remakes... I'll be very happy.  

1. Re: Double Fine Kickstart Hits $2M Feb 20, 2012, 10:35 wtf_man

5x their initial goal!

Bitchin'

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 20:34 wtf_man

Metro will not catch on the desktop, especially in the enterprise. So he is absolutely right about Windows 7 being the "biggest enemy". (Which is weird, coming from a Linux columnist)

If Windows 8 gets deployed at all... it will be with Metro disabled via group policy. However, probably most IT shops will just skip it, like they did with Vista.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 09:17 wtf_man

Julio wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 04:26:
Only $8? Way too much, what about the cost of the nets so they workers don't kill themselves? Shouldn't they take that out of the $8?

Don't worry, Apple will squeeze the suppliers so the workers make $1 per iPad. Can't have the workers making any money can we?

Buying apple products = supporting slavery

Not exactly trying to defend any company that does business with Foxconn, but this view is so fuckin' out there.

1. There are several tech companies that do business with Foxconn, including HP and Dell.
2. These comapanies have no control over how Foxconn treats their employees.
3. Even if they (ALL) dumped Foxconn and went somewhere else it would be a sweat shop too. Foxconn isn;t the only sweat shop out there.
4. We live in a fucking GLOBAL economy, now. ANY company that doesn't seek the lowest bidder for manufacturing is going to get UNDERCUT, and won't be in business very long.
5. It's up to the CHINESE to put an end to the sweat shops... BUT THEY WON'T. The government WANTS the rest of the world to be undercut.

It sucks... but it is what it is. I don't see anyone up in arms about Dell or HP using Foxconn, which is utter BS. Just about any electronics that are manufactured in China or Taiwan, comes from a sweat shop. Period. So, please get off your high horse if you own just about ANY electronics... because you are so full of shit, with your bleeding heart crap.

You are just picking on the most profitable company, and not looking at the whole picture.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2012, 09:26.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 21:47 wtf_man

Yeah... after reading that Ars Technica bit... I guess I could upgrade if I wanted to.

But I don't.

Snow Leopard is fine, until I buy a new iMac.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 15:34 wtf_man

Jim wrote on Feb 16, 2012, 13:16:
I'm still on Snow Leopard. I haven't really seen the need to upgrade yet.

Ditto.

Technically, I don't think I can upgrade to Lion, even if I wanted to. I have a 2007 iMac... and I read somewhere something about Lion doesn't support the older Core 2 Duos. I'm pretty sure Mountain Lion will definitely out of reach. (Not that I care)

News Comments > Double Fine Adventure Platforms & More Details Revealed
5. Re: Double Fine Adventure Platforms & More Details Revealed Feb 15, 2012, 22:36 wtf_man

reisub wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 21:56:
Can I travel back in time and visit Ion Storm? That would be fun.

Looking Glass, would be my studio / time travel choice.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 in September
3. Re: Far Cry 3 in September Feb 15, 2012, 22:33 wtf_man

Wildone wrote on Feb 15, 2012, 21:13:
Looks like a reboot for teenagers, completely yuck.

And it will most likely have Ubi's lovely always-on DRM.

No Thanks.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 10:19 wtf_man

Yeah... the only difference is up close objects. Which is fine... but hardly worth it to me... especially since I have an old video card and I'm not running even ultra settings yet (or whatever it is above high).

When I get a new video card... I'll download this... get all my mods working... and start the game over with a new character.

News Comments > Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
45. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 09:13 wtf_man

panbient wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 08:18:
Obsidian doesn't sound like it has a project in mind, it's just seeing $$$EASY FUNDING!!!$$$ and trolling for dollars and design documents. Or at least that's the impression these kind of press releases all over the net imply in my eyes.

While that may be so (about the Easy Funding)... they aren't asking for money nor starting a kickstarter until they have a project in mind.

They are asking the community what THEY want... then, I guess they'll try to make whatever turns out to be a popular and feasible request. In that context, I think it's kind of a cool opportunity to get a bigger named studio to make something that the community wants instead of something they wanted to make.

We'll just have to see what, if anything, they kickstart. If it's something cool... I'll throw in some cash. Although their games have been buggy... I've enjoyed them for the most part.

News Comments > Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
20. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 13, 2012, 23:18 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 22:10:
Amen to your rules, but IS it a pre-purchase? I wasn't under the impression that paying to the kickstart project gave you a copy once said game was finished?

Creston

In Double-Fine's case... the "rewards" for a $15 pledge is the game from STEAM, access to beta, and access to backer's forums. For a $30 pledge, the reward is the $15 rewards plus an HD copy of the documentary of making the game, for $100 pledge the reward is the the$15 and $30 rewards, and a signed poster by Schafer and crew.... and it goes up from there.

So, to recap... in Double Fine's case... yes, for $15 or more of a pledge, you get the game. Think of it as a fully paid pre-order. You also won't get charged until March 13th (when the fund raising deadline has ended)

That said, that doesn't mean all who try kickstarter would also give the game away to their backers. (well, not for $15)

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2012, 23:30.

News Comments > Tim Schafer Interviews
1. Re: Tim Schaefer Interviews Feb 13, 2012, 20:35 wtf_man

I pledged $30 yesterday. I don't think it was that big of a risk, given the talent that is involved.  

2613 Comments. 131 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo