Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2790 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights
1. Re: Epic Wins Case Versus Silicon Knights May 30, 2012, 20:15 wtf_man

yay?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced
19. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 30, 2012, 12:37 wtf_man

Iurand wrote on May 30, 2012, 12:18:
But they are PC, PS and X360 boxes in last couple seconds of that video.

Yeah, I see them now. I was definitely focused on the bottom looking at logos... and since there isn't a PC-CDROM logo, and the trailer only mentioned 360 and PS3... it is easy to assume that there wasn't going to be a PC version.

Maybe... technically they didn't "remaster" the game for the PC, but added the new levels and the flashlight. (Which is stupid, but who knows what the marketing monkey was thinking)

12. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 30, 2012, 11:50 wtf_man

Classic Doom for Doom 3 - E1M1

Yeah... that definitely makes me want to re-install Doom 3.

10. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 30, 2012, 11:23 wtf_man

DrClown wrote on May 30, 2012, 11:12:
Oh sorry. It's in the press release, not the video. My bad.

Ah.

There's supposed to be some DOOM 1 mod out there that uses DOOM 3... I might break out my old optical media and install it for that.

But re-purchase... not a chance. I can get a flashlight mod for free.

4. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition Announced May 30, 2012, 10:45 wtf_man

MajorD wrote on May 30, 2012, 10:37:
How about DOOM BFD Edition? Wink

Since it was remastered only for the 360 and PS3... it IS the BFD Edition.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Announced
14. Re: matthew@welchkin.net May 29, 2012, 14:35 wtf_man

Slashman wrote on May 29, 2012, 14:08:
Hmmmm...OK, who started the top down rumor?

If you watch the video on the official web site, the devs themselves say it's top down.

Technically, from what I can tell after looking at examples from other games... it's neither top down nor isometric... it's more of a frontal 3/4 view.

Full isometric is not only 3/4 view, but view is also tilted at a certain angle.... like two converging hallways would make an upside down 'V'... whereas this game is more of a straight frontal angle, and two converging hallways would make an upside down 'L'.

It's semantics... but the bottom line is that it is NOT 2D, which is the first thing that pops into one's head when "Top Down" is mentioned.

EDIT: I take it back after looking at more screenshots... it looks like there are isometric angles in there as well. It appears you can spin the camera around like NWN... so yeah... I'd have to say it is isometric.

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 14:53.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin Announced
10. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Announced May 29, 2012, 13:19 wtf_man

Yeah... that looks isometric to me... not top-down.  

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed May 27, 2012, 12:24 wtf_man

Sepharo wrote on May 26, 2012, 14:43:
xXBatmanXx wrote on May 26, 2012, 14:41:
Wasn't part of the downfall of 38 that they had way to many employees? Thought I read somewhere they had close to 400!? Seems high.

They had to create a specific amount of jobs to receive all that tax payer money.

And THAT is the problem with government "creating jobs". Let's say the average salary was 75k. Obviously there are some who made more and some who made less, but 75k for the east coast isn't a stupid high number for a professional position. With 379 employees that's 28.5 million in one year, out of the 75 million borrowed. That doesn't include overhead of office space, utilities, computers, software, etc. etc.

The mandate to employ that many people is what killed the company. The resulting game could have been easily built with probably 1/3rd that number, so there was a ton of unneeded redundancy of people.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 26, 2012, 19:13 wtf_man

Silicon Avatar wrote on May 26, 2012, 18:09:
I doubt Ghostery would help much if Facebook actually bought the browser. Besides, Ghostery has a giant "Friend us on Facebook" button right on their front page. That's not exactly inspiring for a company that's supposedly dedicated to privacy.

I run chrome permanently in icognito mode, with adblock plus, not scripts, referer control, flash cookies off, and albine's Do Not Track Plus (Formerly Chrome block, and basically the same thing as ghostery). I also dumped Google for Duck Duck Go for my search engine. I have never had a Google account nor a social networking account on anything (My Space, Twitter, Facebook, Digg, etc. etc. etc.) and I almost never visit those sites.

Now while that's not full-proof... I'm definitely more "off the grid" than the average joe.

I don't go to extreme lengths either, like using TOR, because I'm not really looking to duck law enforcement... I have nothing to hide.

But I definitely am telling the ad trackers to "Fuck Off", in my own little way.

EDIT: Since the topic made me go look at Chrome extensions... I just replaced Not Scripts and Referer Control with ScriptNo. That works much better for script blocking, and spoofs the referrer and User Agent more easily.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2012, 20:18.

News Comments > Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat
15. Re: Skyrim to Add Mounted Combat May 26, 2012, 11:44 wtf_man

Well... Since Horses seem to get 1-shotted, so I quit buying them... the only way I'd try this is with the invincible horse mod (which I haven't bothered getting yet).  

News Comments > 38 Studios Closed?
20. Re: 38 Studios Closed? May 24, 2012, 20:33 wtf_man

Ranger55 wrote on May 24, 2012, 20:19:
Looked like a single-player WoW knock-off and played like the crappy console to PC port that it was. Reminded me too much of Daggerfall to even consider buying it.

Wait... How can A single player WoW clone that suffers from consolitus remind you of Daggerfall??!!?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs May 24, 2012, 18:20 wtf_man

It's supposed to protect pussies from being "bullied", which is the new over-sensitivity rage fad topic this year.

That, and it's supposed to protect against Defamation / Libel stuff.

I'm not exactly sure how they are going to enforce it, though. Anyone can use fake names, throwaway e-mail addresses, proxy systems like TOR, and public wi-fi to thwart being tracked, for the most part. Of, course if one is stupid enough to be repetitive, they will eventually track you anyway.

News Comments > DARK Trailer
5. Re: DARK Trailer May 24, 2012, 17:24 wtf_man

ItBurn wrote on May 24, 2012, 17:02:
The game is third person. Only the trailer is first person. Which is very ironic.
RPS says different:
Described I can only assume erroneously as an “action-RPG”, DARK is seemingly actually a first-person RPG, in a horror setting. Focusing on stealth, you’ll be playing as a vampire fighting against the GeoForge Corporation, using all your vampiric specialities to uncover their evil.
Rock Paper Shotgun

Of course, they may have gotten it wrong too... I don't know.

News Comments > DARK Trailer
2. Re: DARK Trailer May 24, 2012, 16:58 wtf_man

Fletch wrote on May 24, 2012, 14:47:
Looks first-person to me.

It is.

I'd buy it if you could turn the cel shading crap off.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts
94. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 24, 2012, 11:47 wtf_man

StingingVelvet wrote on May 24, 2012, 10:48:
I don't really know enough about the TOR numbers and MMO history to argue that aspect. It makes sense to me that you cut people once the game launches and have a smaller maintenance team, but you could be right in saying the opposite.

MMOs are huge beasts to develop and maintain. 99 out of 100 times, they run out of money and launch incomplete (beta level at best), and frantically try to fix the game before they lose all the subscribers. This is why we get flop after flop. That... and mostly it is the same old shit with different paint... which people get bored with rather quickly.

When you start small, have something decent to launch, and grow the game... there seems to be a better chance for success (Eve online for example). Most of these publishers and studios are playing the "WOW lotto", though... and losing bad.

If they'd stop focusing on the "WoW lotto", and actually build MMOs that have plenty of diversity in the gameplay (Like EQ vs. Asheron's call... completely different gameplay), instead of trying to ride the "that was successful... let's build a clone" ticket... we might see less flops. Unfortunately, publishers, especially, feel that there is "less risk" by cloning "what has proven to work". The problem is, that just doesn't work in an over-saturated market, that costs big to develop and maintain, that charges a fee, and that people are getting easily bored with. It's a recipe for disaster... and we've seen train wreck after train wreck in the last few years. (Vanguard, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Etc. etc.)

So, back to what I was saying about starting small... the formula in the early days... like EQ was a long term investment. They grew the game with an expansion around every 8-10 months. They grew their development team as well. Now, granted, at some point there was a peak, and they started reducing developers... but that was years later. And because of the age of the engine and all of the tools built... it has taken less and less people to maintain the game and still create expansions.

That seems like the proper development formula to me. TOR basically blew their wad on "being fully voiced over"... which was a good enough gimmick to get people to like the game... but not keep them around. Now they are in a catch-22... they can't add content fast enough, especially because of the voice-overs... plus they have reduced staff. The lack of end game is the biggest complaint... and they can't fix it fast enough, as they bled subscriptions since Late January. When your playerbase can reach the end of the game before the subscription kicks in... and there is no end game... and you can't add content in a timely fashion... and you are losing staff... you have a VERY serious problem. (aka train wreck in the waiting)

Bioware studio in Texas was built for TOR and is not really going to be considered a failing of the brand if the game tanks. That's my main point.

Well, I'm not exactly trying to say the sky is falling for Bioware, either. A 300 million dollar flop, most certainly hurts the name, IMO. And if DA3 were to fail, there would be even more damage to the name. AND... EA is ruthless with studios. That was my point.

As for DA2, Bioware employees have been surprisingly blunt on their forums about having a mandate to shit out a sequel in record time to capitalize on the release of the original.

If that is true, and not just an excuse (I haven't been following DA2), that is actually another (albiet different) example of EA destroying Bioware.

DA2 was a special case and I don't think EA will repeat that mistake.

Well, I hope not. We'll see if DA3 has the DA:O magic or not.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse May 24, 2012, 10:52 wtf_man

eRe4s3r wrote on May 24, 2012, 09:06:
far scarier what this means for security, seeing that flash and anything from Adobe is like the Nr.2 point of attack for nearly every worm trojan and virus

Ayup. We're supposed to be dumping Flash for HTML5... not sticking with a targeted technology that is impossible to secure, and requires an install (for most platforms).

eRe4s3r wrote on May 24, 2012, 09:06:
at least not until there is a way to use it without ANY live ID

well... I haven't been following Win8 that closely... but a work around might be setting up a linux box as a samba DC (or setting up Server 2008-R2 as a DC, downloaded from an MSDN or TechNet Account). I'm pretty sure enterprise logons to company domains won't be live IDs.

That said... I wouldn't get Windows 8 anyway. I fricken hate Metro.

91. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 24, 2012, 10:04 wtf_man

Not meeting expectations by a longshot, EA would most likely consider DA2 a failure. But since it managed to make a little money... the impact isn't as bad.

I disagree with you about TOR, especially if the $300 million investment number is correct... between that and maintaining it, they'll probably never get ROI.

I just read somewhere that the layoffs are 40% of Bioware Austin. That's nearly half the studio, and I believe larger than Mythic's first round of layoffs. Also some are saying the patch notes for 1.3 are very underwhelming, implying that the staff cut is hurting the development speed (which is already a huge problem). The Warhammer pattern is repeating itself. Another couple rounds of layoffs and server merges, then Bioware Austin will be insignificant.

Now, granted that isn't all of Bioware. But if DA3 flops, that will be another taint on the "branding", because EA uses famous studio names to tout their AAA games. If there is enough tainting to the brand, they won't hesitate to rename. They've done it plenty of times in the past, so there is a track record there.

Will a spiraling TOR (like Warhammer), and a failed DA3 be enough to kill Bioware's name? I doubt it... but it will be well on its way.

As for TOR being turned around... I highly doubt that will happen... especially when they are laying off instead of hiring. In the early days of MMOs... you never heard of staff being laid off after launch... if anything they increased the team and split them into live vs. expansion pack teams. One doesn't build an MMO, then fire 40%, if they are going to truly support the game. We're not talking the coffee gophers and receptionists here... we're talking practically the whole QA team, the community managers, coders, and artists, etc. (from what I've heard).

In other words... EA has already started putting this game into "slum-lord mode". We saw how well that worked for Warhammer. If that $300 milllion investment number is true (not to mention what it's cost to launch and manage the game for the last 5 months) , EA seems to be cutting their losses early, on a game that underperformed BADLY (compared to investment). Meaning, they probably don't have faith that it can be turned around either, and they are seeking the easiest path to get most of their money back. (by cutting Staff and milking what they got until it's dead - just like Warhammer).

This comment was edited on May 24, 2012, 10:21.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 23, 2012, 14:36 wtf_man

Best Buy the authority in electronics- 'Not anymore,' says CEO

Heh... that's what you get when your company has a reputation for ripping people off with rebates that are nearly impossible to collect on, bait and switch with online prices vs. store prices (and store computers showing a different price on the BestBuy site, since it's not really going out to the Internet), pushy tactics to buy worthless extended warranties, and prices that don't even reflect the current worth of an item (example: 2 year old video card still selling for full retail price, when you can get it for a fraction of the cost at Newegg or Amazon.)

Being a bunch of thieves, the marketplace has spoken... and the route of Circuit City and Good Guys looks like the current route for "Worst Buy".

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
17. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 12:23 wtf_man

Bhruic wrote on May 23, 2012, 11:19:
Everyone is going to look at those sales numbers as a validation of the always on connection. I'd have much rather seen the game completely tank than pulling record sales like this.

I gotta agree with Bhruic on this.

But then again, I've never been a Diablo fan, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it tanked.
I've never really liked "Action" RPGs... at least not in the sense of Isometric click fests. /shrug

84. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Cuts May 23, 2012, 10:48 wtf_man

sauron wrote on May 23, 2012, 10:29:
The one thing that bugs me about LOTRO is that it caters to soloing almost too well. MMOs really start to rock when they encourage (but don't force) well-coordinated group play, and LOTRO just doesn't do that early enough. Apparently it finally gets going at endgame, which is supposedly a lot of fun.

With most MMO's design... you can't have one without the other...that is "encouraging grouping without forcing it". The way they do this is by creating content that you can't possibly solo and HAVE TO "Look For Group". That, my friend, is STILL forced grouping... it's just limited to certain content instead of majority of the content like old-school MMO's were.

Guild Wars 2 is the first MMO that I've seen turn this mechanic on it's head. Most of the Content is Coop only (like oldschool), but they've removed the need to "Look For Group", because the overal design promotes coop, instead of making PVE competitive (No Kill Stealing, No Loot Stealing, No having to form a group first, Etc. etc. Just help kill the shit!!!)

This is a fresh approach to a stale genre, IMO, and I enjoy it immensely. Once one has played a "coop approached" MMO instead of the traditional "solo vs. grouping" MMO, I don't think they'll ever go back.

2790 Comments. 140 pages. Viewing page 66.
< Newer [ 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo