Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John

Real Name John   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname wtf_man
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Nov 26, 2003, 02:14
Total Comments 2723 (Senior)
User ID 19499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
19. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 30, 2015, 13:32 wtf_man

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 12:20:
The only fact you need for not installing windows 10 is that microsoft isn't a charity. Everything you need to know about windows 10 can be derived from that statement.

Very true.

Bard wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 12:13:
IT security professionals know that these 'features' are simply more hooks for surveillance, which will be used on everyone.

Also very true.

Krowen wrote on Aug 29, 2015, 23:29:
Don't ask me to care about people who can't be bothered to simply read some text either. They were already going to hop on instagram or facebook and share all of that info willingly. People have been idiots about privacy since the dawn of the internet and they will continue to be no matter what. If Edward Snowden's revelations couldn't make people care then nothing can.

Very true as well.

Look, I'm not saying don't install 10. I'm saying that those of us that care about our privacy have a ton of work to do to make sure the crap we don't want is off or blocked. The same goes for my phone. I don't Facebook, twitter, or social network on any level because I'm not willing to give up my privacy, nor do I want to "publish my life". I only post on a handful of forums (3.. and one I privately own among friends... no public access). I take extreme extra measures to make sure marketers can't track me (as best as I possibly can).

That said... what pisses me off about all this shit is that it's all "opt out" and even then, sometimes you can't opt out.

An OS is a NECESSITY. Facebook is not. I turn all the shit off in 10 and cortana still tries to phone home to MS as soon as I click the start menu icon... and I have to block it at a software or perimeter firewall level. There's something definitely wrong with that.

/shrug

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 29, 2015, 14:49 wtf_man

Well... if they are doing that with family accounts... that's pretty much a good example of why NOT to make a live account for the OS... your "dossier" will go straight to the NSA and marketers, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
26. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 28, 2015, 15:04 wtf_man

Simon Says wrote on Aug 28, 2015, 14:49:
Seems like this "fix" doesn't cover everything. Disable everything in win 10's privacy settings, then download shutup10 and disable what you want in there too. And if you're still feeling twitchy and paranoid about it, then block every IP that Horrorscope suggested in a previous comment on this post.

The only way to be sure any of these quick GUI "solutions" completely work is to monitor with wireshark or content filter and firewall logs.

It's also the only way to find out if you aren't trading one vendor's spyware for another.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. Aug 21, 2015, 09:35 wtf_man

It's another Ewe Boll film.

WTF do you expect?

One of these days... there's is going to be a show like Mystery Science Theater 3000, that's going to do adlibs on Ewe Boll movies.

THEN they might be good.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled
21. Re: Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled Aug 19, 2015, 15:24 wtf_man

mystery8 wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 14:18:
PHJF wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 10:19:
You realize nobody actually said that and it is just Blue making a joke?

Well yes, but I can see that actually happen, given the parties involved

Ditto.

Just like the battle between Interplay and Zenimax over Fallout Licensing. 3D Realms and Interplay both got to keep the old shit... but can't make anything new (Interplay was trying to make that FallOut MMO)

News Comments > Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled
3. Re: Duke Nukem Lawsuits Settled Aug 19, 2015, 09:59 wtf_man

3D Realms saying they didn't realize they weren't entitled to license an IP after selling it off

Inquisitive Wtf

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 13, 2015, 21:35 wtf_man

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 20:01:
From what I understand Ars Technica overlooked a huge part of the spying though, which triggers once your PC goes into idle. (no user action for X minutes) and does NOT trigger when you have wireshark capturing data (since that ain't exactly idle anything, Wireshark has a huge footprint). This idle period is when it sends the most "mysterious" data, encrypted, but surely not just cat pictures, to the domain I posted amongst others. Quick whois revealed who owns it. Do you want anything and everything on your PC sent to an Anti-Piracy/DRM outfit?

Proving anything would be nice though, currently and I freely admit, this is speculations, one can see the connection, but one can not prove what exactly is sent, you'd have to crack the encryption first and trick the idle services to trigger even when capturing (so you have to do it outside the box, by running W10 in a VM) and wireshark outside the VM

Actually one can.
Enterprise NG Firewalls with web content filtering that requires a custom certificate installed on the endpoint so the device can do a man in the middle attack to decrypt https traffic. These enterprise web filters and firewalls use this technique all the time for their company owned machines. It's the only way to stop malware that goes over https. It also stops folks from being able to use a proxy to bypass the content filter. Of course, Financial and Health categories are set not to be decrypted.

Anyway... one can set a machine up as a proxy, put wireshark on it, and use the same decryption technique.

I really don't care what the payload is, though. Theoretically... An easier method is to just have a NG firewall / web filter block everything from the Windows 10 IP, and look at all the denied traffic in the logs on where it's trying to go (better yet, import the logs into Splunk and get the pertinent data out in seconds)... then subsequently block all the domains / ips except windows updates.

/shrug

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 13, 2015, 17:51 wtf_man

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 15:29:
John, do you have a blog or a newsletter. I just looked at the intro video for wireshark and that is something that I am not going to learn in this lifetime. I am interested in what you find. But then again all I have is W10 Pro on an unused laptop , so if Enterprise is necessary to turn off all the phone home stuff then I am out of luck. If I could pm you I would but alas, this ain't the hardforum.

I don't blog nor social network. I post on about 3 forums... this being one of them. I maintain as much privacy as I possibly can in this age of clandestine data mining... on all of my devices, including my phone. I have a very big tinfoil hat and I'm proud of it. Shit is way too Orwellian these days, for my tastes.

That said... I'm sure more articles, utilities, and documentation will become available as more obscure communications from this new OS is uncovered.

I would just wait a while before upgrading, if I were you. Armed with knowledge, as it becomes available, is your best way to fight this stuff.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 13, 2015, 15:05 wtf_man

So far, the Enterprise version is pretty much the only way to turn all the phone home shit off, and you still have to do it via local or group policy.

I haven't taken wireshark to it yet, to see if I got it all, though.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 7, 2015, 14:46 wtf_man

The Swindle Is Now Available For Xbox One

Huh? That's always been available for the 720p-900p xbone!

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 6, 2015, 09:35 wtf_man

Microsoft releases Windows DVD Player for Windows 10 -- free for some, but not for others.

Windows N + VLC.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
13. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 20:26 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 17:49:
I'm pretty confident that [none of the backers want] some small limited scope game.

I am pretty confident that a fairly large contingent of your backers want just a reboot of Wing Commander / Privateer. You know, the thing you originally promised them.

+1

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Trailer
16. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 15:29 wtf_man

Too bad I won't buy an EA game.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
47. Re: I had privacy once... Aug 5, 2015, 09:39 wtf_man

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 23:13:
Some of you guys crack me up.

We want our privacy! Sure, but you'll get shittier services in return.

A lot of us don't WANT the services, though.
Just a platform to launch our locally run applications. No cloud, no social networking, no anything else.

So, yes, we have a right to bitch about privacy when unwanted "services" are bundled into the platform with no choice to completely opt out. Obviously running something like Linux isn't an option either, since that doesn't run our software investment.

So, either sticking with an old OS that will go end of life and eventually be a security nightmare... or hacking out the crap in the new OS and bitching about the lack of choice of what is bundled in / privacy concerns... are the only two viable options.

As far as that being backwards thinking... something being rammed down your throat is never pleasant... therefore there is resistance to your interpretation of so-called "progress" will always be apparent. Deal with it.

Since I do have an extensive security background, if anyone here is being Naive, it's you.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 4, 2015, 13:11 wtf_man

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 4, 2015, 10:40:
I wonder what the enterprise versions does here?

Enterprise has most of the crap turned off by default. There's still stuff to turn off / lock down.... but it's nowhere near as bad as Home and Pro.

If you want totally clean out of the box... you will probably need to get a Server version, install the "Server GUI Shell" (Yes it's a separate install now... core is the default), but don't install "Desktop Experience".

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
21. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 3, 2015, 13:01 wtf_man

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 22:03:
Now all those people complaining about privacy concerns raise your hands since you likely use a iphone and it does the same thing.

My iphone is jailbroken and runs firewall ip. Pretty much nothing is transmitted without my permission, other than the typical carrier crap that would be on a dumb phone too.

Are these measures fullproof?

Nope.

But I'll minimize my footprint and make it as difficult as possible for marketers to track me.

This marketing spy shit should be illegal to begin with. They're WORSE than the NSA.

/shrug

9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 2, 2015, 15:15 wtf_man

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 2, 2015, 15:02:
OneDrive is a legitimate cloud backup service that a lot of people should actually use.

I don't want any of my data on someone else's servers. I have a little NAS at home that I back up important info to. Granted, I also have an Enterprise NG firewall too... so I won't suffer the typical home router attacks.

That said... Everything I posted is optional... If you want one drive, or cortana... skip the steps that disable them.

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 2, 2015, 14:08 wtf_man

Rid yourself of Windows 10 metro annoyances and Spyware:

Phase 1, The Obvious:
Don't sign in with a microsoft account. Better yet... don't even create one. When installing, keep the network adapter unplugged or turn off your wifi. this will allow you to make a local account. If you already created a microsoft account... go into settings and accounts... create a local account then delete the microsoft one after you login with the local account.
If you are going to use IE, set it not to search bing, store form completion / passwords, suggest shit in the address bar, etc. etc.

Go into settings and privacy. Turn EVERYTHING off.
Go in your system tray and turn off One Drive.
Go in the Search on the task bar and click the gear... turn off Cortana.

Phase 2, Uninstall ALL the Bundled Metro Apps:
Open Powershell as Administrator... type powershell in the task bar search and right-click the top entry, select run as administrator.

Type:
Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

After that runs, Type:
Get-AppXPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

Then for extra measure:
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

Don't worry about the errors in Red... those are core components that can't be uninstalled

Phase 3, Lock Settings Down via Policy:
Right-Click Start Menu and choose run
Type: MMC
File -> Add/Remove Snapin
Choose Group Policy Object Editor -> ADD -> Local Machine -> OK
Expand Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components ->

OneDrive: Prevent the Usage of One Drive - Enabled
Search: Allow Cortana - Disabled
. Allow Cortana and Search to use Location - Disabled
. Don't Search the Web or display web results in Search - Enabled
. Don't Search the Web or display web results in Search over metered connections - Enabled

(Optional) Go down to Windows Calendar and disable if you wish... same for anything else like Mail.

Close the snap-in and reboot.
Right-click search task bar and set search to hidden (It's busted at this point, but search still works in the explorer)

Enjoy your spyware-free Windows 10!

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2015, 15:10.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 31, 2015, 08:52 wtf_man

Well... The store and a few other things are probably still there, but hidden / off by default.

There is no browser until you manually search "Internet Explorer" by the start button and manually pin it.

If you try to turn on Cortana... It says it is unavailable for this version.

I'll search for some other things like the store when I get to work today. I'll probably disable them in policy anyway.... but that's beside the point that Enterprise N gives you a fairly clean slate to work with. Typical stuff is still there like accessories, notepad, snipping tool, etc.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 2015, 09:20.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 31, 2015, 00:42 wtf_man

Enterprise N

No store, no metro apps other than search and feedback, no cortana, search is local to machine only.... And of course no media player.

I don't know about Home N or Pro N.

2723 Comments. 137 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo