Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Robert Martens

Real Name Robert Martens   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.gyroshot.com/
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 18:46
Total Comments 4 (Suspect)
User ID 19470

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Leaks Mar 2, 2004, 14:27 Robert Martens

Hate working on house plumbing, eh? Welcome to the club!

Even with over thirty years in the trade, I never understood why my father hated residential work. Then I started working for him. Two and a half years later, I could not sympathize more. Aside from having to deal with homeowners (no offense, Blue, I'm only speaking generally here), the ridiculous half-assed work you see done by previous "plumbers"--who don't deserve the title--makes you scratch your head. The only thing we do in the way of residential work is for family friends and coworkers; people we know and trust, who have some appreciation for what it takes to do a decent job.

But even THAT is appalling garbage, lemme tell ya. Pipes bent where there should be elbows, stretched out to fit together instead of couplings...unbelievable. Nobody has any respect for the trade anymore.

Commercial all the way!

An unrelated, yet still amusing thing my dad always tells me: "You can't tell the plumber your sh*t doesn't stink." :p
This comment was edited on Mar 2, 14:28.

"You can't tell the plumber your sh*t doesn't stink." - Bob Martens (my father)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Invisible War Demo
228. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2003, 17:51 Robert Martens

busted, I have to say, the demo is also starting to grow on me--once I solved the mouselag issue (why the hell such a setting exists is beyond me, but what the hell), turned off "bloom", and set the detail of lighting, shadows, and characters to "low", I'm getting decent performance at 800x600. Perhaps if I had a videocard more powerful than my Quadro DCC--a GeForce 3 as far as games are concerned--I'd be able to turn more stuff on, but this looks fine by me.

I must say, now that it runs acceptably, I'm having a lot of fun. I'm still VERY upset that the hacking feature has been so crippled (entering keycodes by hand with the keypad, typing in passwords and logins, worrying about logging off before being noticed, that stuff was exciting!), and the inventory management could be a bit smoother (drag-and-drop would be great, as would key toggles; be nice if I could just tap "V" again to close the inventory, instead of having to hit Escape), but the core game seems to be pretty fun.

And the sound you hear when you bop somebody in the head with an oil drum? Priceless.

I'm definitely gonna buy it now, but must nonetheless express my disdain for the rather unprofessional way this demo release was handled. Useless settings turned on, important ones turned off, read-only ini files, it's all disheartening.

Bad Ion Storm! :p

This comment was edited on Nov 23, 17:54.

101. Re: I'm a sad panda...:( Nov 22, 2003, 14:19 Robert Martens

Fair enough, though I wasn't directing my comments at you in particular.

I can see what you mean, though, in that the shortcuts taken for the XBox version, while acceptable for that platform, shouldn't exist in the PC version. A few adjustments here and there for the different systems the game runs on, and it might be easier to deal with.

I'm probably gonna buy the game anyway, and try to like it, but I fear I won't be ABLE to get to the actual game, if I'm constantly distracted by this awkward interface ("interface" meaning the way you interact with the world, not just that circular menu system).

And that new hacking setup....man, doubleyoo-tee-eff?
This comment was edited on Nov 22, 14:20.

92. I'm a sad panda...:( Nov 22, 2003, 13:51 Robert Martens

I have to say, I agree with the (negative) comments posted thusfar.

But I think people are being too critical of console gamers; I own a number of the things, and play the games on a regular basis. Personally, I think console gamers are JUST as discriminating as PC dudes, with standards just as high, if not higher. I mean, hell, if there's a problem with a console game, it's not like you can just apply a patch...

I can't blame the demo sucking on the mere existence of the XBox--as far as I'm concerned, it falls squarely on the developers. Sorta like saying Episode I sucked because of Jar Jar Binks; sure, he's annoying, but he's hardly the biggest reason for the movie's less-than-stellar quality.

4 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo