Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 428 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Crytek on PCs versus Consoles
11. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 25, 2010, 14:26 Evil Timmy

It may output at 1080p, but it's getting upscaled from a lower resolution, and it's generally as bad on Xbox 360. CoD Black Ops runs at 1040x600 on 360 and 960x544 on PS3 (link and link), or less than I used to run games on my 3dfx Voodoo2 on a 15" CRT, 13+ years ago. And even at that pathetically low resolution, framerates can't keep up with PC.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Oct 27, 2010, 03:51 Evil Timmy

Tumbler wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 20:10:
(SW FU, SW FU Sith, SW FU2)

Don't know why, must have hit an untapped juvenile streak hidden in some recess of my mind, but that line just made me laugh as read aloud ("Eff You!") in my head. Maybe 'cause I just read a fanboy response to rumors of Lucas doing a new Star Wars trilogy, and such terminology was thrown around like a baby "competing" in a pro wrestling match.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
12. Re: Quote of the Day Oct 27, 2010, 03:46 Evil Timmy

The online component in World at War was fine, but the single-player was abysmal. At some point they just gave up on any semblance of balance or testing and made the entire last third a never-ending stream of enemies that could only be stopped by walking to the next invisible trigger, and the next, and the next... Try sitting around a corner with a flamethrower, you can roast a steady stream of enemies to your heart's desire, and I've done it for over ten minutes just to demonstrate for others how ridiculous it was. I know MP is the main reason to buy, but if they're not even going to try, why bother?

Agreed about the perks too...since they have such a strong effect, they need to be a bit better balanced, rather than nearly everyone picking the exact same set.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 24, 2010, 00:04 Evil Timmy

Yeah, 3DTVs not selling because...they're a wasted investment. When a somewhat savvy consumer can get a decent 42" TV for under $500 online shipped, it's going to take a lot of convincing to get them to pay four or five times as much for a 3DTV of the same size, so they can watch half a dozen movies. Early adopters were recently burned on the HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray idiocy and are less likely to buy into a 'trend' like this, and in any case TVs are large purchases that are infrequently replaced. Finally and most damningly, 3DTVs with glasses will only be around for a few years before glasses-less tech takes over, and anything that doesn't require a $150-per-viewer investment in goofy-looking goggles will be much more readily accepted, which seems to be what the market is really waiting for.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 17, 2010, 16:21 Evil Timmy

I really don't see any reason to buy MoH. You can get Bad Company 2 for around $20 on sale, and that comes with a vastly better, longer SP campaign and real MP, not the hobbled crap that came with MoH. Even adding on the upcoming Vietnam expansion would be cheaper, and would solve the only possible complaint, which is that MoH has a larger playerbase due to just launching. What I'm saying is, having played it on both PC and 360, save your money and don't support a poorly-designed me-too cash in like the new Medal of Honor.

EDIT: My Eng101 teacher would be rolling over in his grave if (a) I left that many commas in a single sentence and (b) he were dead.

News Comments > Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies
6. Re: Activison Considering Selling Cut-Scene Movies Sep 16, 2010, 20:47 Evil Timmy

I can only assume that my good friend Pepe the Midget was called in for this conference, and that his burro's saddlebags were full to bursting with Columbia's finest export. I can only further assume that just seconds before such a delirious and cocksure assessment of the future was pronounced, Bobby had given up snorting with a paper towel roll and just shoved his face in, giving the speech with the manic twitchy fury of Steve Ballmer crossed with Charlie Chaplain.  

News Comments > ATI Catalyst Hotfix
7. Re: ATI Catalyst Hotfix Sep 10, 2010, 18:03 Evil Timmy

MCH: No, these drivers don't add depth to every PopCap game besides Plants and Zombies. Nor do they fix the HDMI overscan getting reset every time I restart my computer, resulting in an inch of black around the ugly stretched video before I have to reset it. Thx AMD!  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2010, 19:17 Evil Timmy

My favorite way to cook ribs, which also happens to be supremely easy because you finish it when your guests show up, is to do most of the cooking in the oven. I keep the temperature at 225F and let it cook low and slow, with the roasting pan covered in tinfoil to keep as much moisture as possible. If the temperature's under 305F or so the sauce won't burn, so slather it in as much as you want, and flip and reapply ever hour. It'll be ready in two hours or so, but it'll only get more tender if you let it cook low-and-slow for longer. Pull it out 15 minutes before you're ready to serve it, baste it again, and cook on your barbecue on high heat for 5, low heat for 5, then rest for 5 and serve. The oven will have cooked the meat, but the grilling dries out the sauce and makes it more of a glaze, and adds the perfect amount of crispy char to the whole affair. The five-minute resting period is vital...for all the science behind perfect barbecue, check out Serious Eats' Food Lab article on cooking a perfect prime rib. It's always nice when the cooking technique that consistently gives the best results also gives you the most flexibility in serving, and is easy to top it off.  

News Comments > More StarCraft II Sales Figures
28. Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 15:21 Evil Timmy

Steam seems to be the de facto standard for DD, but I think that as publishers start to put in place their competing systems, there will be increased pressure to separate Valve from Steam, to avoid any conflict of interest. These companies are giving money to their competition, and if Valve was doing more full-blown publishing rather than putting out a game every 18 months (and only entering the console market recently), this would probably have happened already. It may still be a smart move, although I don't know how interconnected their teams and business structure are.

Also, SC2 is pretty awesome. It's got more polish than the Turtle Wax factory, and my console-playing friends are just blown away by all the visuals, but the character models in particular. After years of staring at shiny shrink-wrapped Unreal engine faces, I'm inclined to agree.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 2, 2010, 01:48 Evil Timmy

BluesNews posters getting over COD is about as likely as sex after marriage.

Wait, are you talking about with the person we're married to?

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode Three Hints?
22. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode Three Hints? Jul 22, 2010, 17:29 Evil Timmy

Special collectors edition including Companion Cube Bobble Head, miniature crowbar and Infected christmas ornaments only $129.99!

WTB

Also, as a random aside, after HL2/Source's heavy use of physics, I never understood why L4D didn't have more in the way of environmental ways of killing zombies/area denial/player escape. Zombie movies are rife with examples of creative uses of the environment, and adding physics elements, especially if combined with the AI director, adds even further to the creativity and replayability present in the L4D series. Especially in the finales, being able to set traps and modify escape routes would really allow players to work out their own unique strategy. It wouldn't need to be Garry's Mod/The Incredible Machine/Rube Goldberg-level complex, but a few swinging logs, electrified light fixtures, and zombie-paults would be a fun addition in a future patch/level/L4D3.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 17, 2010, 14:11 Evil Timmy

Wow, that dual GTX 480 must need a nuclear plant to run: the reactor to give it enough power, and the cooling tower to deal with all that heat.  

News Comments > Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick
15. Re: Tim Schafer Blasts Bobby Kotick Jul 14, 2010, 13:31 Evil Timmy

Psychonauts sequel? Yes please! I showed up late to that party, only played it 2-3 years ago, and it was a brilliant gem of a game that without fail had friends ask me curious questions after witnessing 30 seconds of it. The art direction, writing, style, and creative gameplay challenges definitely give it classic status in my book. And, just to add to the chorus, Tim Schafer does rock.  

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
10. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch Jun 28, 2010, 00:26 Evil Timmy

At this point, I think more effort has been put into fixing and correcting the game than was initially put into the actual game. It's one of the few games I've played through more than twice, and each time it's been a better experience because of increasing computer power and these patches.

Still no cure for cancer...

News Comments > Command & Conquer Sale
8. Re: Command & Conquer Sale Jun 17, 2010, 04:46 Evil Timmy

Assuming last year's Christmas sale gets carried onto this year (which is a safe assumption, seeing as they managed to cripple their normally resilient servers with the sheer number of downloads), I think I'll just pick these, and another few dozen games up then.

Besides, I'm waiting for another RTS (other than the Rise of Nations series) to have the basic AI and grouping required to have a mass of units actually move together, rather than every unit proceeding at their own speed and having the light units massacred if not micromanaged. It's spoiled me on every other RTS out there, even the venerable Starcraft, and is one of those ideas that seems ridiculously obvious once out there. The fact that nobody's picked it up yet after seven years just shows how shamefully formulaic the RTS genre remains, and why nothing from the genre will get my wallet's vote, at least until I can pick them up for pocket change.

News Comments > Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced
6. Re: Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Announced Jun 15, 2010, 01:07 Evil Timmy

That's Marilyn Manson's cover of Tainted Love from early last decade.

As for this game...this doesn't tell me anything about the actual gameplay, but Criterion is probably the best dev out there to carry on the spirit of the NFS franchise. Considering their source material made for the best games in the series, this could be a match made in heaven.

Points for the Police Bugatti, though. The most hardened criminal in the world, driving anything but the Hennesey Venom GT, would pull over, smash his own face with a nightstick, and crawl into the back seat of a cruiser himself after seeing that in his rear-view.

News Comments > Just Cause 2 ATI Issue
14. Re: Just Cause 2 ATI Issue Jun 10, 2010, 16:07 Evil Timmy

If you've got the money for a monitor that actually runs at 2560x1600 (at least $800, occasionally a little lower on sale), you can probably afford a dual-GPU solution and the system to back that up. I just built a 1080p-Crysis-on-max SFF desktop for under $1500, but there's a big jump between that and playable on a 30" at 2560x1600, which is about double the number of pixels.  

News Comments > On Pro Gamer Fitness
12. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 15:22 Evil Timmy

Can't tell if it's overwhelming sarcasm or ridiculously obvious trolling, but whatever LittleMe's post was composed of, it's blinding.  

News Comments > Respawn News at E3
3. Re: Respawn News at E3 Jun 8, 2010, 11:41 Evil Timmy

Medal of Duty: Allied Warfare! The game we've all been waiting for!  

News Comments > On Pro Gamer Fitness
4. Re: On Pro Gamer Fitness Jun 8, 2010, 11:27 Evil Timmy

And even if gamers hate exercise, they can sneak it in. Keep weights by the computer, and do a quick set every time you die, while you wait to respawn (as 'punishment'). Or during commercial breaks while watching TV. I've added 15 pounds of muscle and lowered my body fat by 2% in the last year, largely courtesy of getting into that habit. Even with light weights, it'll ratchet up your metabolism if done regularly, meaning if you just sit on ass all day, you'll end up with less of it to sit on than you otherwise would.

InBlack: Indeed, the one game that's undeniably better in multiplayer.

428 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo