Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Direct2Drive Game Rentals
2. Re: Direct2Drive Game Rentals Jan 22, 2011, 15:27 Evil Timmy

That...actually doesn't sound too insane. Five dollars is cheap enough to make it a spur-of-the-moment purchase, and five hours is certainly enough time to get a good feel for a game. However, I suspect the games for rental and games on steep discounts are and will remain mutually exclusive categories. Also, is that five hours of gameplay, or simply a rental for the next five hour period? I'd hate to be the support department that has to deal with all the "My wife got sick so I had to pick up the kids" excuses, legitimate or otherwise, for people demanding their five dollars back. On the flipside, I'd also hate to be the developer with a five-to-seven hour campaign, or a certain powergamer demographic might be blasting through a lot of new shiny titles in just a hair under five hours, for a single Lincoln.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA's Campaign for PC Gaming?
11. Re: EA's Campaign for PC Gaming? Jan 20, 2011, 15:55 Evil Timmy

IT'S A TRAP  

News Comments > No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
49. Re: No Dynamic Difficulty in Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jan 18, 2011, 18:08 Evil Timmy

Wow, Dr. D, I was reading this thread thinking of my response and you pretty much nailed it. The tech for the first game didn't exist in 2000 to pull off some of the cool things characters can do in HR, and I'm sure they would have liked to be able to do such things.

As far as in-game, Gunther and Anna were portrayed as, and in combat were, supremely badass, far surpassing your abilities. They were also supposed to be some of the earliest and most eager users of implants, and had severe side effects because of it. Combined with the obvious social issues, nanotech would be preferred except in the most extreme combat situations with devoted soldiers. So DxHr's level of tech, while maybe not an exacting fit to the lore, isn't as insane as some are making it out to be. I'll reserve final judgment until the game's released, but so far my impressions have been fairly good.

And for people that have apparently been under attack for more than a decade, we PC gamers sure can be a thin-skinned bunch with a persecution complex. Some of you sound like Glenn Beck or televangelists, needing a 'wartime' situation to justify your extreme viewpoints. You've got the man's choice of platform, man up and tone down the whining.

News Comments > Bulletstorm Trailers
7. Re: Bulletstorm Trailers Jan 16, 2011, 18:12 Evil Timmy

Err, seriously, I know we're all supposed to only support old-school RPGs, exacting military sims, and turn-based tactical games here on this bastion of PC-ness, but this looks to me like something in the vein of Serious Sam rather than CoD, which I can only see as a good thing. I'm tired of cower shooters (yes, cower, cause that's all you do), and this looks like a refreshingly frenetic change of pace. Yes, CliffyB needs to keep his smug oh-so-punchable mug to himself, but look past the hair gel and stubble and realize that the dev who popularized the cover shooter is taking a step beyond them. I'd rather have badass weapons and usable environments than grey-brown-tan worlds filled with a suspicious number of waist-height barricades, aka the new 'room filled with crates' of the shooter world.

And...since when have FPSes had good lead characters? Deus Ex and Duke Nukem, who is composed of Ash's one-liners said by Guile from SF2. And, uhh....

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Irreversible Consequences Jan 13, 2011, 19:41 Evil Timmy

The GameFront article reminded me of another post (which also references Louis CK) from TechDirt. Read the full thing here, but the important TL;DR point is this:
I believe, quite strongly, that you cannot stop innovation -- but you absolutely can hinder it. So any "anger" that people feel, which may give them a sense of frustration and pessimism is my frustration about the roadblocks and barriers and hurdles that people throw in the way of this innovation -- either due to a misunderstanding of innovation, or through laziness and an unwillingness to change to take advantage of those new opportunities.

So much of what we deal with on an everyday basis is truly fantastic. I'm glad I'm just old enough (25) to really appreciate how far computers and technology have come, from being rare, shaky, isolated, expensive, and slow, to, well, the opposite. I also think that this pace of innovation is what makes the frustrating, backwards holdouts that much more apparent. This is at the heart of most of the complaints gamers bring up.

* Graphics keep getting better and more outstanding, and that's enough to enchant newer gamers, but the only real innovation in FPSes since Half-Life is the ability to cower (aka shields/regen and cover).
* Dedicated servers allow each gamer to connect to the fastest server available to them, with no advantage given to a "host".
* Over-use of scripting and set-pieces means lessened replayability or emergent gameplay/storytelling, coupled with shorter gametimes.
* Overblown (and entirely ineffectual) fear of piracy means that SP fans have fewer options that aren't just a warm-up for oft-repetitive MP.

So, we do get plenty of new little trinkets, but it can feel like the focus on cool frenetic trailer fodder robs the game of subtle touches that we already know about or that are yet to be discovered, which actually add to the gameplay experience. To use an analogy near and dear to my stomach, it's like we've given up on great home-cooked food (which does require more effort) for TV dinners that look great on the outside but lack substance when it comes down to real nutritional (entertainment) value.

News Comments > New Natural Selection 2 Beta
1. Re: New Natural Selection 2 Beta Jan 12, 2011, 17:22 Evil Timmy

I'm happy to be supporting the further development of this game, but...I went on a couple nights ago, and there was one solitary server that had more than a single person on it, and it had an unplayable 275ms ping. I hope that doesn't reflect poorly on how well supported this game will be by the community at large.  

News Comments > JoWooD Insolvent
12. Re: JoWooD Insolvent Jan 7, 2011, 18:52 Evil Timmy

JoWood is one of those companies that I wanted to like, but who kept up a strong, proud tradition of rushing out games just as they started to coalesce then cutting post-release support almost completely. It's a shame so many good developers had to suffer through their mis-management over the years, and that so many diamonds were left in way too much rough.  

News Comments > DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting "Special Effort"
62. Re: DICE: PC Battlefield 3 Getting Jan 6, 2011, 04:58 Evil Timmy

Despite the somewhat awkward phrasing at a few points, this article does a good job at describing exactly where TV resolutions make a difference. To quote their conclusion (based on standards of 20/20 vision)...

In other words, you would not enjoy any benefit from the higher pixel count associated with a 1080p HDTV if you were to sit further away than 1.8 times the TV screen width; your 1080p HDTV and a cheaper 720p TV of the same screen size will both appear just the same!

What that means is, for 1080p, if you have a 42" screen, sitting further away than 42"x1.8=75.6", your vision is no longer good enough to differentiate an individual pixel, and the screen's resolution starts to be wasted on you. The multiplier for 720p is 2.7, and SD is 5.37.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
5. Re: Quote of the Day Jan 5, 2011, 21:32 Evil Timmy

Quboid wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 21:26:
[VG]Reagle wrote on Jan 5, 2011, 21:16:
WTF GABE?

Seriously, WTF GABE?

Amen, sirs. Amen.

Gabe...stop selling out for long enough to put out Ep3. kthx

News Comments > PC Leading BC2: Vietnam Battle for Hastings
31. Re: PC Leading BC2: Vietnam Battle for Hastings Dec 29, 2010, 20:52 Evil Timmy

SpectralMeat: Watch, and be informed. (Whole sketch on Hulu.)

News Comments > Windows 8 and Gaming
23. Re: Windows 8 and Gaming Dec 23, 2010, 01:07 Evil Timmy

Well, if developers want to keep pushing the new shiny, they're really running out of headroom to do so on consoles. Microsoft has said that the 360 will have a roughly ten-year lifespan, Win8 is supposed to be out in 2012, so that's three years for them to pretend they give half a squirt about PC before their new hardware comes out and make their money that way.

They're closer to the Wii than the PS3 in lifetime sales and trending well, so all they have to do is follow not far behind Wii price drops till they hit $99. Which, coincidentally, will likely be around the time Windows 8 is out. Capable gaming PCs keep getting cheaper and staying viable longer, so they switch their revenue stream to the $300-400 omniboxes that some smart PC maker will sell as the "Hey, your TV should do more!" solution with wireless m+k, and far more potent hardware than the aging consoles. Big OEM buys of Windows 8 infuse hundreds of millions in their R+D department just as they need it to really begin work on the Xbox 720.

Not announced yet, but yes, I will be taking Ballmer's place next year.

News Comments > Alganon Interview
6. Re: Alganon Interview Dec 21, 2010, 22:14 Evil Timmy

Derek Smart, in the article wrote:
a largely incomplete and shoddy mish-mash of features with no discernable cohesion or direction

Hmm, I could have sworn I've heard this phrase used to describe some other games in the past...can't put my finger on which ones in specific, though. A series, maybe? Oh well, it'll come to me eventually.

*coughs*

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Patched
1. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Patched Dec 13, 2010, 21:11 Evil Timmy

Yeah...as huge of a fan I am of the Fallout series (1+2 more than 3 or FO:T), I also know Obsidian. I think the earliest I'll pick up New Vegas is at the Christmas sale, and even then, I'm prepared for a rocky experience. I get the feeling that they could use an experienced project lead from some other company, have them come in and observe one game's development cycle then step in on the next one and keep Obsidian on track. Their games are some of my favorites, but I hate having to dig through so much rough to get to the diamond, especially when they seem to screw up the same way every time.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced
34. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Announced Dec 12, 2010, 20:36 Evil Timmy

osage no onna wrote on Dec 12, 2010, 19:53:
start breeding cliffracers?

Oh please god no. I hated those cliffracers in Morrowind so very, very much. What they can take from Morrowind is the sense of adventure and discovery that I felt was a bit missing from Oblivion. I loved wandering around and finding unique dungeons and villages that I never would have spotted otherwise, that feeling of wondering what's over the next hill, and then being rewarded for finding out. The insane levels of repetition and too-rubberbanded scaling made me feel like it didn't matter where I went, it was all the same. The Oblivion gates suffered from the same fate...it felt like I was running the same gate from a dozen different angles. The main reason I like single-player RPGs is the sense of open-ended choice and player agency, like I'm battling my way through someone else's dream, and that certainly shouldn't be repetitious and grindy.

News Comments > Dragon Gaming Speech Pack
5. Re: Cheating? Dec 8, 2010, 22:58 Evil Timmy

Shoot! Shoot! Shoot! Jump! Crouch! Reload! Shoot! Shoot! Grenade! Shoot! Shoot! Shoot!

(Your roommates will kill you if you buy this.)

News Comments > Steam Treasure Hunt Continues
3. Re: Steam Treasure Hunt Continues Dec 8, 2010, 21:59 Evil Timmy

Same here... profile away!  

News Comments > Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview
8. Re: Minecraft Sales Milestone, Interview Dec 5, 2010, 17:47 Evil Timmy

Minecraft is the sort of game where you get as much as you want to put in, with little to no overlying structure. If you try and play it like a traditional RPG, you'll be disappointed because there's no quest structure or overarching story.

However, try and come at it from the perspective of a child, or a lucid dream. You've been given this whole world to play around in, by yourself or with others, and you don't have to do anything in particular. Want to see what's on the other side of that mountain? Go for it, that's just as valid a goal as building a house or starting a farm. You could make a replica of the Battlestar Galactica or a four-hundred-foot-tall penis statue, with a waterfall perpetually pouring from the tip. You could purely go spelunking, risking life, limb, and loot for huge ore veins and valuable drops which you hoard in your castle made of sand. Build a pig farm with a mob spawner and complex set of traps and eat nothing but pork. Redirect rivers. Strip-mine mountains so you can make a house out of gold bricks.

That's the fun of it: whatever you want.

News Comments > Bad Company 2 Maps Tomorrow
2. Re: Bad Company 2 Maps Tomorrow Nov 30, 2010, 23:44 Evil Timmy

So, the huge patch they just released, which only added scopes for the m14 and g3 (on PC), plus a few menu options...does that include this content and it's waiting to unlock, or will I be downloading another 2GB+ of BC2 this week?  

News Comments > Crytek on PCs versus Consoles
11. Re: Crytek on PCs versus Consoles Nov 25, 2010, 14:26 Evil Timmy

It may output at 1080p, but it's getting upscaled from a lower resolution, and it's generally as bad on Xbox 360. CoD Black Ops runs at 1040x600 on 360 and 960x544 on PS3 (link and link), or less than I used to run games on my 3dfx Voodoo2 on a 15" CRT, 13+ years ago. And even at that pathetically low resolution, framerates can't keep up with PC.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
18. Re: Ships Ahoy - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II Oct 27, 2010, 03:51 Evil Timmy

Tumbler wrote on Oct 26, 2010, 20:10:
(SW FU, SW FU Sith, SW FU2)

Don't know why, must have hit an untapped juvenile streak hidden in some recess of my mind, but that line just made me laugh as read aloud ("Eff You!") in my head. Maybe 'cause I just read a fanboy response to rumors of Lucas doing a new Star Wars trilogy, and such terminology was thrown around like a baby "competing" in a pro wrestling match.

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo