Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 428 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > New Catalyst Drivers
2. Re: What? May 12, 2004, 22:51 Evil Timmy

Splinter Cell / Pandoras Box

Err, Pandora Tomorrow, maybe? Someone wrote this too early in the morning.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Alienware's Video Array
38. Re: No subject May 12, 2004, 19:58 Evil Timmy

As quite a few benchmarks of the high-end cards showed, most graphics cards today are being held back by the CPU, not their own processing power. Buying a system like this would be a monumental waste of money and graphics power. Save the $500 on an extra card, or put it into some other component (maybe a set of Logitech Z-680 speakers, and a Logitech Cordless Desktop MX? It's not that I'm Logitech's bitch, it's just they've put out so much good stuff). Maybe in a few months, when CPU speeds have continued to ramp up but graphics cards are still awaiting further updates, this will be a more attractive powergaming option. But, until then, don't bother.

News Comments > Morning Previews
13. cs_rubegoldberg will be > * May 11, 2004, 04:58 Evil Timmy

20 hours is pretty good for an FPS...10 hours has been the standard for a long while, with a few games (Max Payne 2) even going under that. It's largely because the same areas don't get reused, as in adventure games/RPGs...the whole similar hallway syndrome has dropped the reviewer's scores of FPSes for years. 20 hours was about what Far Cry took also, and that certainly felt like a long game for an FPS. Hopefully HL2 will be as or more replayable.

Scottish Martial Arts: The leaked copy had a demo level showing squad controls; basically, they'll follow you, but you can use a laser pointer-type thing to send them ahead or leave them behind, or do any number of context-appropriate actions. Hopefully it's been refined further from there, but even as it was it was pretty impressive and worked well.

Yes, co-op would be sweet. But, to be honest, I'd rather a mod team work on it with Valve's support, rather than Valve doing it themselves. They've done a great job with CS and DoD so far, in terms of removing some of the more strategic elements, and I'd prefer they not do the same for a co-op mod. I'm really looking forward to CS2, though. With a better interface and physics systems playing a real part in the gameplay, you could add both interesting physics-based portions of gameplay to serious maps, and have some obscenely enjoyable funmaps. I look forward to cs_rubegoldberg immensely.

News Comments > ATI/Counter-Strike 2 Bundle?
57. Re: No subject May 10, 2004, 20:15 Evil Timmy

"Which boggles my mind because as many comparisons have stated the shader engine on the 6800u is far superior to that of the x800, offering not only shader 3.0 support but DX9c support AND virtually unlimited shader programing." -Fion

http://www.nordichardware.se/Recensioner/?page=13&skrivelse=223

And you make a later point about the performance difference; the games have to be coded specifically to take advantage of these features. In just about every review out there, they mention that nV has the 3.0 shaders while ATi doesn't, but the only real difference is a performance one, and even that may not be realized significantly or any time soon.

"FYI for those having problems with the ATI-HL2 bundle deal, many companies have opted out of it in spite of some legal issue. I think only cards made by ATI specificly support the deal now." -Fion

"So I may not be getting a confirmation number cuz my activation code is no longer valid?" -Ironman

It's true that some companies have stopped offering the coupons; however, if you recieved a coupon, it is and will be valid. If you're dropping a few hundred dollars for a video card that's supposed to last you at least a year and may last much longer, a freebie game that may last a month should be a minor concern. I'd be doubtful of the whole thing; while it's pretty widely assumed that CS2 is in production, there'd probably have been an announcement followed by a boatload of promotion, rather than one article with no confirmation from an already unreliable news source.

News Comments > Monolith Screenshot
87. Re: No subject May 8, 2004, 21:09 Evil Timmy

Has anyone else noticed that strap-on spelled backwards is 'no parts'?

News Comments > Monolith Screenshot
70. Re: No subject May 8, 2004, 12:59 Evil Timmy

If this is a sequel to Contract JACK, heads will roll.

And, while this screenshot is pretty, screenshots stopped meaning much a long time ago. Videos give a better picture, and demos are actually useful. While it does look undeniably good, it also has a rather generic shooter feel to it. Great graphics and poor art direction make for rather dull games after the first two dozen rooms filled with crates, lockers, and steel-tubing crossbeams that look the same. The gun looks pretty ugly to me, but maybe I've just been spoiled by Far Cry's guns, with dappled shadowing, full lighting, and scopes that actually show a distorted but proper image. And, of course, the tagline is absolutely horrible. Their marketing department/agency needs to be locked up somewhere far, far away from any hope of working in product promotions ever again. The blurb, too, seems a bit weak, like they're dropping names of 'cool' stuff to increase interest in their product. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by this game, but I'd by no means pin my hopes on it being anything special.

News Comments > Thief: Deadly Shadows Gold
6. Re: PC Gamer May 5, 2004, 13:52 Evil Timmy

I've found gaming rags to be solidly untrustworthy over the years. Dunno if it's the long lead time or what, but they've generally had a higher margin of error than I find acceptable. Also, you don't see much in the way of post-patch updates from them. Give me a bevy of online articles and discussion that I can interact with, then I'll be willing to make my purchasing decision.

However, the Deus Ex 2-style small corridors style works rather well in the Thief universe...as long as they didn't screw the pooch with their implementation of gameplay (please tell me they got their performance problems ironed out, as Far Cry runs better than DX2 ever did). Eagerly awaiting the Game Reviews update with the Thief reviews @ Blues.

Edit: and graphics for which Ion Storm is famous for.
This makes me wonder who's writing their press releases these days...
This comment was edited on May 5, 13:54.

News Comments > It Came from E3, Part 0
68. Re: No subject May 4, 2004, 03:52 Evil Timmy

ID: Yep. We've been done with the game since February. We just wanted to go to E3 again. It's fun.

You owe me a mouthful of Pepsi over that line. Let's say, two ounces? Okay, good.

Personally, I stopped caring about game release dates and pre-release hype and all that a long time ago. For some of these people, it seems like they feel delaying, say, Half-Life 2, is equivalent to Gabe Newell personally running over their dog, then pissing on it and tossing it on their front porch. It's a reality of the gaming industry: things often take longer than was originally planned. And yes, Valve screwed up with their incredibly late delay announcement. However, if you weren't following it that closely, it wasn't anything to get upset about. It also leaves you more open to the option of other games; Halo, Etherlords II, Jedi Academy, Homeworld 2 and MOH:AA Breakthrough were all worthy of your time and came out in September 2003.

If you get your hopes up based on pre-release hype, there's little you can be but disappointed. However, if you stick largely to games that have garnered good feedback from reviewers and the gaming public, you're likely to have an overall much more enjoyable experience, and to play games that may not have huge marketing and PR teams, but that are more worth your time than half a dozen lame sequels.

Edit: Fixed formatting. Thanks for using completely non-standard tags, to mess with my php/webdesign habits and sensibilities!
This comment was edited on May 4, 03:53.

News Comments > City of Heroes Live
60. $15? Pocket change! Apr 28, 2004, 23:26 Evil Timmy

$15 really isn't all that much, unless you're on an allowance from your parents. For people actually working jobs, even a part-time job at a fast food place (not me, thankfully), it's rather minimal. However, I'm still reluctant to pay, because I haven't found the gameplay itself to be nearly as enjoyable as many of the single-player experiences you can get.

Far Cry was mentioned above...it was good for 25 hours of gameplay or so even a single time through, so playing 90 minutes a day Monday-Thursday (weekends are for friends and going out, not sitting in front of a computer getting a CRT tan) means it took me about a month to finish the game. And, if I want to stop playing and pick it up at any time, I can without having it cost me a dime. I don't have to wait for friends to come online, nor do I have to deal with other players exploiting, griefing, or making nuisances of themselves.

While I have no clue how well it'd work, I'd love to see a distributed-server-based MMO game, even as a limited experiment. Give individual admins the power to shape a part of the world, and should it be deemed a good-quality, consistent addition to the world, a master server would attach it to the network. The traffic of people to the server would determine the chunk of the subscription fee, which would cover the rising server costs and reward those who make an interesting part of the game world. Players also get the option of choice; if they don't like a section of the world, they don't go there, and it withers and dies, while those they enjoy grow and flourish.

There's also a much smaller outlay necessary for the initial developer. A few Lego-style set pieces and good terrain generation features, along with the ability to define more via a 3ds / Maya / Softimage / preferred modelling app plugin, would give those interested both a good starting point for continuity's sake and the ability to extend the world as far as their imagination and talent allow. Hopefully, these same creators would allow some of their art/models/terrains to be reused by others, and at the same time be allowed to suggest modifications to existing resources or rules. Think of it as a US-style representation scenario, except even more free. Imagine if the admins on your favorite multiplayer server could suggest additions and changes to the game overall, how much better it could be. Of course, this is all pure imagination, and I don't have the bursting-at-the-seams bank account to fund even the inital costs of a project like this. But I'd certainly be interested if anything resembling it popped up in the market.

News Comments > KOTOR 2 Details
39. My long lost fourth cousin, or something Apr 27, 2004, 19:56 Evil Timmy

my ancestor, Noah Webster

Wow, Blue, we're vaguely related. My great-grandmother's great uncle was Noah Webster. You're like a very distant relative I never knew I had, because you are! Weird how these things show up.

And the whole American vs British thing is something I have first-hand experience with. I lived largely in the States up until three years ago, when I moved to Hong Kong. It's still rather British (seeing as it was a British colony for a century and a half), so I've had to learn a fair few new terms for things so I'm not lost when locals (even those who speak English well) are talking. To be honest, I prefer the metric system and many of the expressions, and I've gotten used to cars driving on the other side of the road. Oh, and massive crowds of people who are 6 or more inches shorter than I am (I'm 6'3"...sorry, 1.1 BlueYards). I also weigh 1.25 BlueTons. All hail El Presidente!

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 19:59.

News Comments > Shellshock Nam '67 Movie
8. Dear sweet Jesus... Apr 25, 2004, 02:39 Evil Timmy

Learn from your mistakes, devs! Vietcong was nearly as painful as the war itself. Either you're making an accurate and terribly annoying game, or you've got a generic tropical game that you say is in Vietnam but could be in any tropical location, real or imagined. Why don't we get more moderately-in-the-future games in the style of Deus Ex? It gives you the freedom to add whatever you need for plot devices while still having a fairly firm grounding in reality. Old wars seen from a largely American perspective are overdone, so unless you're really doing something stunningly unique, you'll be drowned out by all the other games set in the same period (and you'll face the inevitable comparisons).

And, an appropriate joke...how many Vietnam vets does it take to change a lightbulb?
You don't know 'cause you weren't there man!

News Comments > DoJ Goes Pirate Hunting
95. Arrr... Apr 23, 2004, 05:00 Evil Timmy

Hi. My name's Timmy, and I pirate games.

Before you rip off my legs and beat me with them, hear me out. I pirate games so I ensure my money's going to the right place. I don't want to send money to a developer who produces a well-marked steaming pile of bits, when instead it could be going to another developer who's produced a game (or other software) that's genuinely worth my time. I don't really think my money will result in a lot of similar games, as most projects are in place for years before the end-users get their hands on them. However, I strongly believe in rewarding those who entertain me, and I do so by paying money for a product they've produced. If their projects sell, they stay employed and continue producing work I appreciate, and get to feed themselves and their family. (Or, put a different way, nobody buy Half-Life 2, please. Look at Gabe Newell!)

While I'm not a supporter of it, DRM is inevitable. However, as with everything else, as the protections get more complex, so will those trying to crack them. A piece of hardware protection for the PC? Well, they've managed just fine to bypass console protection. I'm sure that, while it may be fairly complex and a while in production, there will be a way to unprotect these systems. The only protection that's proved to work is requiring authentication from a server. There's been a growing trend towards online play in games, even ones that are generally biased towards single player (see Far Cry). Hopefully, with the power of computers (desktop and server) increasing fairly rapidly, and broadband penetration in all markets accelerating, more games will have truly useful online play. The killer game will be one that allows you to have a great single-player-style experience in a world filled with other people. Imagine a game with the beautiful graphics and enjoyable gameplay of Far Cry, but with other players on other islands doing missions that may help or hinder your progress. Imagine a turf war game like GTA:VC on the scale of a real city, with real people creating many of the character conflicts you encounter. That level of massively multiplayer gaming will be compelling enough to make the hardiest of single-player gamers a convert.
This comment was edited on Apr 23, 05:02.

News Comments > etc.
13. Someone close the Valve (tee-hee) Apr 21, 2004, 20:28 Evil Timmy

Valve was all that and a bag of chips back when Half-Life was first out. They were good about patching, and supportive of the mod community, and this allowed Half-Life to become the most popular multiplayer title ever (by that, I mean CS/DoD/NS too). But Valve steadily declined past the milennium, with misleading their customers apparently being their top priority. CS went retail, then DoD did, and both involved changes that were unpopular with their current support base (although they were apparently designed to bring new players in). Then the monumental messes that were the Steam launch and Half-Life 2's Sep 30th release came, and there was much uproar. And neither has really been dealt with; Steam's still had problems with all but the smallest updates, and there's been no apology or much in the way of new information about Half-Life 2.

While there's a lot of talent at work (at play?) in Valve, there's a real problem with their public face and project direction. I think it'd be better for the company if Gabe Newell and Doug Lombardi wrote up letters of resignation and left to piss off their fanbase with some other company. EA's hiring, right? I'm sure they'd fit right in.

News Comments > Beyond Divinity Gold
11. Choices Apr 21, 2004, 02:05 Evil Timmy

While it's not pure traditional RPG fare, STALKER is shaping up to be a great game. And it contains the element of RPGs that I actually care about: good interactive characters who can change the playing field depending on your conversations with them. If they pull this aspect off half as well as the Fallouts did, I'll fill my trousers from sheer joy.

To be honest, I got both bored and frustrated with Divine Divinity; I'm not sure what it was, precisely, but I could never be bothered to continue playing. Maybe the way the difficulty ramped up, because I missed a part of it...whatever it was, hopefully Beyond Divinity will avoid it and be a worthy addition to my game collection.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Box Art?
44. The cold, immovable love of steel Apr 19, 2004, 00:51 Evil Timmy

I pray that there's a metal-case DVD edition on the way. Preferrably, with an imprinted crowbar on the front, in the style of that magazine teaser ad we saw pre-E3 last year. That would be sublime, and I'd proudly display it over my desk.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 00:52.

News Comments > Interplay Eviction?
39. For Dogmeat! Apr 16, 2004, 05:05 Evil Timmy

I'd definitely go with Obsidian for Fallout 3; Troika's produced two enjoyable but very flawed RPGs so far, and I'm hesitant about buying any of their future products because of it. Arcanum was quirky and a bit unbalanced but rather enjoyable, and ToEE was quite simply frustrating, so unless they get some new project leads or others who can give a good sense of perspective on the game when necessary, I'd be very cautious. Troika, if you'd like to cover my plane ticket and spot me a bed somewhere in the office, I'd be happy to bitch about your games endlessly and gain 30 pounds on the 'Programmer's Diet'.

And, with Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 leaking, any chance we'll see a FO3 alpha? *nudges beta groups and shady Interplay employees*

News Comments > Painkiller Patch
18. Console piracy Apr 15, 2004, 00:15 Evil Timmy

The consoles aren't safe from piracy, they just require a bit more equipment and expertise to deal with. And, in the case of the Xbox, you can't play many games on Live, but that's like most PC games with MP. Once you're set up, however, it's almost easier to pirate console games. With a modchip (and the Dashboard for the Xbox), a DVD burner, and appropriate software, you can copy whatever you want, or download it from one of the release groups.

News Comments > Painkiller Patch
13. Re: pffft Apr 14, 2004, 22:50 Evil Timmy

"Nobody is twisting your arm to buy or even play Painkiller. Don't like the requirements or limitations, then don't buy it and stop your whining over something you havent even payed for."

With software like Alcohol 120%, you can make a perfect rip of a disc, then use the image without needing a no-cd crack (or, of course, the actual disc). This is especially useful for games that have many updates; the warez groups have to recheck, recrack, and rerelease the updated game files, and will only keep up with new patches for so long. Trying to keep up with that is missing the point of making your gaming experience hassle-free.

You're also missing the point that these people are making. They're trying to make their opinion heard, that stupid copy protection measures like this are frustrating and can scare people away from the game, people who may have bought it in the first place. Anyone determined to pirate it will, but for those sitting on the fence between warezing and purchasing, or those unsure about the game period may be pushed away by features like this.

I've been using virtual drives in Windows for a long time, because I do a lot of VCD/DVD authoring, and a virtual drive allows me to rather easily test how it turned out, without burning to physical media. And these game companies are telling me I have to disable it for a game I've purchased legitimately? To be perfectly honest, that's a load of crap and unacceptable policy.

(Edit: Clarified some wording)
This comment was edited on Apr 14, 22:54.

News Comments > Painkiller CD Woes
90. Copy Protection is EVIL Apr 10, 2004, 09:52 Evil Timmy

Mirsky: Keygens have been out for ages, but the fact that there are billions of possible keys (that the game will accept) that aren't listed in the database of actually sold keys (of which there are a few million) means that it's hard to actually get a working online key for it and many other games. This works because the server can require verification and can kick you off if you're not authenticated, and is why many games have tacked-on multiplayer: to some extent, it reduces piracy.

Jereco: This has happened, with the warez release of XIII. Multiple checks with TAGES protection meant it was over a week before a fully cracked proper version was released, when they're usually available online before you can get them in stores. There was a CD check partway through the game, which meant that the initial cracks failed to work, and a crackfix was necessary.

Personally, I find these CD checks to be stupid. Most 'casual' pirates will get a more experienced friend to burn the game for them, and maybe even install it, and that friend will likely have the warez group release. I've found this true in secondary school, in college, and even later in life. So what's the point? Well, the people behind these copy protections keep making money, and the publishers get a false sense of security, while the customers and developers get more headaches for their trouble.

Which brings me to another point: the publisher is nearly always the one to insert the copy protection, and that's after the game has gone gold. If you consider the limited time they have between the announcement of going gold and the time they have in stores, it'd be a fair bit of effort (and certainly cost) to test it on a large number of drives.

News Comments > Lineage II Open Beta
10. Reduces pressure to animal parts? Yes Mar 24, 2004, 22:07 Evil Timmy

If I really wanted to do something this boring, repetitive, and stupid, I'd just stay at work. Graphics are good, but the characters are quite generic-looking. The level treadmill is in full force in L2. The PvP is unique in the sheer annoyance factor; walking out of town can be deadly, especially if you're at all lagged. What's even worse is you lose experience (and potentially levels) when you get PKed, and it can happen rather rapidly. Quests are boring and generic. I feel they should have paid me for enduring their horrid beta. It's really nothing new, and without any shiny new features, they'll likely have trouble attracting much of a crowd. I'd advise you not waste your money, as this one's headed for the bin.

428 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo