Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 427 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 Nears
137. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 19, 2011, 01:52 Evil Timmy

Buzz on the Steam forums seems to be that those who got all the regular potatoes (35-ish) and the golden potato from the ARG just got gifted the Valve Complete Pack including Portal 2. However, only HL2+EP1 are re-giftable, so there's a lot of people that just found out they won...a bunch of stuff they already had. Kinda seems dumb to give away a prize to the group of people most likely to have already purchased that prize, but then again, episodic gaming seemed like the savior of the gaming industry at one point. To repurpose the immortal words of William Goldman, the games industry is clearly just like Hollywood, "nobody knows anything."  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Garry's Mod vs Pirates
34. Re: Garry's Mod vs Pirates Apr 13, 2011, 22:38 Evil Timmy

FreezeStrike wrote on Apr 13, 2011, 20:36:
by making it more tedious and cumbersome, we'd make it more convenient to just buy a legit copy.

The problem is, it's rarely tedious or cumbersome for the pirates. Crackers are some of the most skilled hyper-nerds out there, and they're not doing it to feed their kids, they're doing it because it's an ever-evolving challenge of their skills, and garners respect. Once it's cracked, it's as easy as a ten-second torrent search. And, to slightly misquote Iain M. Banks, "While the forces of repression need to win every time, the [crackers] need only triumph once." Even with little hidden piracy warnings or checks, you're much more likely to turn off a more casual pirate to your games/dev house/publishers NOT piracy in general, and a serious pirate just quits and fires up the next game in their download folder, with that same negative impression. In either case, they're out nothing except finishing a game that's now left a bad taste in their mouth. How this is suddenly going to drive up demand is beyond me, as you're dumping on what could and should be thought of as under-served customers.

The flip side of that is what happens when a legitimate customer has an issue with your DRM and assorted trickery. After handing over their hard-earned to purchase your product, they're suddenly given a degraded experience, or none at all. Now YOU have taken something from THEM. Any indignant rage they may have at the situation is justified, and they're likely to be some of the loudest voices speaking out against you and your product. Keeping any such situations under control means paying for fast, responsive support, on top of the added costs of licensing and implementing the DRM. It seems like a fatal mistake for small-budget developers, and at least harmful to large studios. Until we have a gland installed in our brain stem that causes pain any time we think of overstepping IP law (coming 2024, thanks Chris Dodd!), there will always be a way to get around any blockades of digital information. Rather than just doing something to say you're doing something, why not take a step back and see what really benefits your continued success?

News Comments > Mac Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor
1. Re: Mac Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor Apr 13, 2011, 20:42 Evil Timmy

So, the savior of PC gaming seems to be doing more for Mac gaming than anyone ever has, outside of id. Fascinating. I think Valve's figured out the ?? part of "underpants >> ?? >> profit".  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 12, 2011, 01:19 Evil Timmy

zirik: You might think so, but if they're squeezing every ounce of performance out of current hardware just to keep up in the eyes of their screenshot-nitpicking audience, that's where their focus will be. And since those visuals have been mostly stalled for well over a year, standards are high, and trading off graphical fidelity for something unproven in moving units (added dialogue, more complex rules and systems, in-depth story) in the home stretch of these consoles' lifespans is unlikely.

Even on the ever-shifting PC, with barriers of entry so minimal as to be virtually non-existent, it takes small European teams and random individuals to explore strange breakthroughs that don't precisely cleave to existing genre definitions (Space Rangers 2, Minecraft, Amnesia, Battle Slots, thousands more). The gaming industry doesn't seem to have an analogue to Fox Searchlight or Focus Features, that takes promising independent work and helps polish it up for a somewhat broader audience. Steam may let you earn money on those games once they're done, but they provide no support to get you to that point. The major publishers might be wise to fund something like that, where the successes can still be great but they can throw low six figures at an existing project and use their distribution network to bring it to a much wider audience. At worst, they hired new blood for an extended interview; at best, they've got a runaway hit and the start of a new development studio. It could even have more hidden benefits, like being able to retain more staff after a big project by shifting them to/between smaller teams as needed.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Baaaacon! Apr 10, 2011, 20:11 Evil Timmy

By far the best bacon-related novelty is Skillet's Bacon Jam (they're a constantly-moving burger "cart" here in Seattle). It's cooked down with onion and seasoning and ground only just smooth enough to be spreadable. It's like Vegemite/Marmite spreads in that it's an easy way to add a savory/umami flavor to anything, but infinitely better because the flavor is concentrated bacony goodness. Spread atop their magnificent burger, it's truly home, but it works on anything that would benefit from bacon flavor (read: anything). Bacon Salt is the only other product I've tried that's actually at all satisfying, especially on popcorn. Everything else, well...it has real bacon to measure up to, and that's no short order.

Ordering: http://www.skilletstreetfood.com/shop.php

News Comments > Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Patch
1. No subject Apr 3, 2011, 17:26 Evil Timmy

IS THIS THE PATCH THAT MAKES THE GAME <Insert useless snarky comment here>?!

Saved you all the trouble. Don't post, just imagine what you'd say.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Anti-Cheat Measures Live
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2011, 19:22 Evil Timmy

Necrosis: Yeah, in addition to the OMFG what were they thinking INI cheating, pirates could freely play online (with the 1.1 update)...I strongly suspect that's the real reason for this patch coming out so fast, as their online support in the past has been severely lacking.  

News Comments > DiRT 3 Group B Rally Trailer
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 31, 2011, 04:11 Evil Timmy

Ugh...truthfully, the thing that really gets me about the game is all the scripted lines the real drivers were given. I hope they were paid well for uttering such inane, pandering, modern-feel-good-everone-wins BS lines. If I just smashed into the side of your $300k-plus hyper-tuned rally car rather than braking through a corner, solely for the purpose of stealing first place, you're not going to be calmly asking after my well being. I'm not six years old and going to a Montessori school, I'm supposed to be competing against some of the best drivers in the world, and while I don't expect a tirade of profanity, at least let them get a little angry. Changing your driver call to "Captain Danger" does make everyone sound like a sarcastic asshole, so at least there's that consolation prize.

Second to that, though...I agree, the menus and everything were too much, and there really should have been a "I finished elementary school, let's just race" checkbox in the options, or a "Keep going" button that jumped to the closest race of the same type.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 2011, 04:40.

News Comments > Crysis 2 Cheating Patch This Week
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 30, 2011, 21:55 Evil Timmy

You don't even have to do that. It's just a little .ini tweaking, works on public servers, and basically lets you use all your powers at the same time with near-zero suit drain. Imagine facing off against a player with speed, nanovision, and armor all at the same time, forever.

Video (no instructions, kthx): watch at YouTube

News Comments > RPS on Crysis 2
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 29, 2011, 21:30 Evil Timmy

literally impossible to look at without feeling physically sick

Once I got done vomiting, I actually enjoyed the game. If it weren't named Crysis 2, and wasn't creaking under the strain of all the fanboy expectations, I think it wouldn't be getting nearly as much flak. Yes, it's a step closer to console FPSes and away from PC, but it still plays differently from pretty much everything else on the market, whatever the platform. Like every FPS, you're walking down a long hallway. This one's wider than most, just not as wide as its predecessor. And, really, PC gamers complaining about having to tweak their game? Isn't that supposed to be one of the things that sets us apart from the anima- err, console gamers?

Sure, it's not exactly what I and others may have expected or hoped for. Despite that, it's still an enjoyable romp through the shattered battlefield that is NYC, where the player isn't the biggest swinging dick on the battlefield but instead has to adapt tactics to a changing situation to make it through. I'm not shooting Nazis with a Thompson or green aliens with a Generic Space Marine(tm) Assault Rifle, I'm actually playing a polished game in a different manner and environment than Unreal-engine Coverfest 2011, and honestly, that's enough.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 27, 2011, 19:25 Evil Timmy

Yeah, this anti-Black Ops sentiment is ridiculously prevalent, and I wonder how much of it is really based on the game, and how much is just a categorical hatred (or WoW-esque hatred due to popularity). Sure, the single player is relentlessly linear, but they've at least moved towards Tom Clancy/Clive Cussler storytelling from a Michael Bay war-wank explosion-fest. The multiplayer is as boring and repetitive as every other MP game, except they've tuned the system of carrots very finely to keep people coming back. Most of my Xbox-owning friends have CoDBO in their tray more than everything else combined.

Sure, we may be able to rip into it due to any number of issues, but Treyarch did a solid job of putting out a game that appealed directly to its previous fanbase, and improved on the formula in a number of small but collectively important ways. It's what everyone keeps saying they want from developers, yet we get it and because it doesn't fit into what we, individually, think the whole game industry should be doing, then it's a hack cash-in that's destroying gaming as we know it. Cut down on the drama queen and maybe the "morons" who bought the game might be a little more willing to have their ear bent when it comes to the future of gaming.

News Comments > EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access?
86. Re: EA Forum Ban Prevents Game Access? Mar 11, 2011, 18:03 Evil Timmy

RPS is reporting that this ban was, in fact, handed down in error. They restored his account and apologized, saying that it was a glitch. CRISIS AVERTED!  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Release Details This Week
16. Re: Deus Ex: Human Release Details This Week Mar 7, 2011, 17:15 Evil Timmy

The more I see about DX:HR, the more impressed I get. The coverage is all about the intro and first proper level, but at least it's not strictly on rails. I loved that, on one playthrough, the journo decided to go check out every corner of the company office before actually getting around to his mission, and when he arrived, the SWAT team was pissed because the hostages were already dead. Others missed the room of hostages, other stuck around and hacked everything, but the emphasis seems to be choice, and that it's so well displayed in the first level is heartening. It's rare to see a game these days that really allows you to fail (without reloading), so having multiple objectives that won't wait around for you to blunder into them and instead actually require analysis of the situation and decision-making is a breath of fresh air. If it's half the game the original was, it'll be well worth my dime, but when expecting the games industry to find new ways to disappoint me, I'm rarely disappointed.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 6, 2011, 15:02 Evil Timmy

Yeah, agreed...I liked the original DA (Is that a pun? Judges?), but the demo completely soured me to this new game. It kinda felt like a prototype of Mass Effect's combat system, and a giant leap in the wrong direction. And seeing as there was nothing else to go on, that's a lost sale. Now I'm as bad as a pirate, right?

This comment was edited on Mar 6, 2011, 17:20.

News Comments > Gaikai Live
22. Re: Gaikai Live Feb 28, 2011, 01:35 Evil Timmy

I also recently read somewhere of an interesting mental distinction between most of these 'social' games and more traditional gaming experiences. Think about it this way: are the developers trying to give you something, or are they trying to take something from you? While, yes, nearly everyone's out to make a buck, most traditional game developers are trying to allow them to keep working at what they love. Most could have better paying jobs in business, IT, or media with their same skills, but instead choose to work on games because it's their passion. They're a talented group brimming with ideas, with whole worlds they want to create and allow you to poke around in. They're giving you something.

On the other hand, games on Facebook are almost always created and designed with the idea of taking something from you. Whether it's your personal data, posts, friends lists, or simply advertising views, you're human capital to be exploited in the most efficient way possible. There's a reason that Cow Clicker was both a great parody and the pinnacle for so long: people unfamiliar with games aren't used to something so keenly tuned to the human desire to watch numbers get bigger, and don't know to expect any deeper experience than a spreadsheet with shiny icons. Psychological buttons that they don't even know existed are expertly pressed by craven publishers clearly and simply looking to make a buck.

Jaded gamers spot a pointless grind from miles away and rightfully dismiss it, but we've grown up with devs discovering it for the first, and fifth, and fiftieth times. There's a huge divide between the two groups, not the smallest of which is one is infinitely easier to bilk for their money, time, and attention. Hey, at least Nintendo gamers have someone to look down on now.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Feb 27, 2011, 02:14 Evil Timmy

Cutter wrote on Feb 26, 2011, 19:19:
Why not just cut out the middlemen like Steam entirely and deliver content themselves? I can imagine that's what'll happen before too long.

Have you tried the rest of the DDL services? There's a reason Steam's so successful. It took them years to actually make it a positive mark rather than something you just put up with, but it's stable, sleek, and unobtrusive enough that it's a non-issue for the majority of gamers.

EA and others, in comparison, make it so painful that they wanted you to pay extra to be able to redownload the game, but even that was only available for a limited time. You'd also need a DDL client for each publisher, and even with a modern 4-6GB of RAM, I don't want half a dozen tray icons all scanning my HD and checking the 'Net for updates. It's also another expense to code, maintain, and support.

In any case, I'm sure publishers gave due consideration before releasing their catalogs on Steam. For the higher-ups, their jobs are at the mercy of the board, who represents the shareholders, so I doubt they lightly gave a competitor a 20-30% cut of their PC sales. However, with a huge bulk of their sales coming from consoles, maybe it's just not important enough to them given the technical and financial hurdles of getting such a system in place.

News Comments > Interstellar Marines Stock Offer
2. Re: Interstellar Marines Stock Offer Feb 26, 2011, 16:38 Evil Timmy

Yeah, but I think this one is more out there than usual. Ten support medals at $5 a pop means a $50 additional outlay to buy any piece of the company, and they'd already have to have $100 for the first twenty. While maybe not unusual for private companies, asking gamers for $150+ of support means you've gotta really justify it with what you're giving to your fans, throughout the development process. And with the rise of Steam/DDL sales and great, cheap indie titles, it's a tougher market. I'm glad they're doing something new, but I think it's gonna take a lot more failures before we really figure this out.  

News Comments > Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned
4. Re: Post-Release Bulletstorm PC Demo Planned Feb 19, 2011, 16:51 Evil Timmy

Mark Rein and CliffyB have this good cop/bad cop (or console bro/PC apologist) thing down pretty well. Stop lying, guys: WHEN WILL WE GET JAZZ JACKRABBIT 3?!  

News Comments > A Valley Without Wind Trailer
1. Re: A Valley Without Wind Trailer Feb 18, 2011, 22:29 Evil Timmy

This looks like another promising seriously-alpha game with good communication lines to/from the developer and rapid updates. As much as I love Minecraft, I love even more that it seems to have inspired a number of small developers to release their games to the public earlier. Then, rather than needing PR firms and the say-so of a publisher, they can experiment in public and take input from fans, and use word of mouth to steadily fund their progess, instead of needing to sell 90% of their lifetime sales in the two months after release to have a hope of getting out of the red. If that's where game development is heading, with small teams working in tandem with people who aren't buyers so much as patrons, and unique ideas being tested monthly with an audience, well then...bring on the future.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2: Security Patch Plans, No More DLC
3. Re: Modern Warfare 2: Security Patch Plans, No More DLC Feb 16, 2011, 14:44 Evil Timmy

As have the massive number of cheaters, on all platforms. It's always fun to get killed by the same person six times in a match, and for five of those, they stay locked on through multiple walls before putting a few rounds right in your skull. But, fixing goatse-size gaping holes isn't profitable, DLC is!  

427 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo