Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Beta Plans
9. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2004, 05:12 Evil Timmy

If they don't add co-op, pray they put out an SDK soon after release. Not adding co-op in the first place strikes me as rather stupid, however. The game is pretty ideally set up for it already...you just move the AI server-side and include HL-engine-style lag compensation for hitscan weapons, add a feature to save the state of the game, and you're set.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Chris Sawyer's Locomotion Demo
25. Re: No subject Sep 5, 2004, 05:06 Evil Timmy

While graphics aren't the most important part of a game, they're not something to be completely ignored, either. Better quality graphics and interface means being able to do what you want without having to go through a bunch of menus or zoom way in to see what something is, or wait for a tooltip to pop up. And, while I don't have a problem with bad graphics, interfaces that are slow, clunky, and tedious to use will rapidly turn me off to what may be an otherwise enjoyable game.

Remember also that most sales come from people walking into a retailer and looking at the box. Two games that seem similar from the promotional blurb will quickly be compared based on the little boxshots, and if one game looks (relatively) like ass even in a small space like that, it's going to look worse on-screen. And, while 3d is not a cure-all, decent 3d allows you to be more flexible with visual status, the entire interface, and how information is presented in the game view, a lot more so than having to draw static or animated 2d sprites.
This comment was edited on Sep 5, 05:07.

News Comments > MoH: Pacific Assault Demo
70. Re: blood Sep 4, 2004, 10:57 Evil Timmy

It's not an option to turn on blood, it just makes YOU bleed when you get hit enough, meaning you have to apply bandages, taking you out of combat for a few seconds.

My impression of this demo can be accurately summed up in one word: stupid. Throwing dozens of guys at you, and you seem to be the only one who can hit anything from more than six feet away? Stupid. Making a game that uses over 900MB of memory, no matter what your settings? Stupid. A smack with the butt of your rifle does more damage than a bullet to the head? Stupid. Sluggish controls despite v-sync being enabled and a high framerate? Stupid. Watching the medic inject a syringe into thin air like your body was actually there? Stupid. Shooting plane after plane with a mounted machine gun, with a lack of feedback sounds or visuals to tell you you've scored a hit (except the explosion when you've fired off enough rounds)? Stupid. EA? Stupid.

I think that just about covers it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. AvP? Bleh. Sep 2, 2004, 04:18 Evil Timmy

It's not really worth driving to see a free showing of AvP. It's a pretty awful movie, with very few redeeming factors. Go get the first and third books from the AvP series (second was from a different author and was pretty mediocre), they have the few interesting aspects of the movie in spades, with a far better plot.

Re: the Anna Nicole picture, I wonder...is there some mystical store that exclusively sells clear plastic stilettos, that every single whore on the planet (and nobody else) shops at? And she could have at least had a spray-on tan applied before the photoshoot...

News Comments > Morning Q&As
19. Re: Stalker / Evil Genius Sep 1, 2004, 00:55 Evil Timmy

You can assign all sorts of keys in the Options menu; by default, pause is assigned to 'p'.

Edit: And that is a very interesting article. Thanks for the link, Neko.

This comment was edited on Sep 1, 01:05.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
2. Re: STALKER interview Aug 31, 2004, 07:08 Evil Timmy

Stalker seems better with every update, and should be a great game. The fact that the devs have a good sense of humor and aren't promising the world, simply what they're sure they can deliver, is very reassuring. More updates, and the game itself, are eagerly anticipated here.

2. Re: McFly Aug 30, 2004, 02:38 Evil Timmy

Personally, I liked Microsoft's odd handling of dates and times when it came to installing a new computer. Within seconds, the Blaster worm had hit. So, I take the clock and set it back three years. The little RPC-has-failed-must-shutdown window then informed me of the dire state of my system, and told me I'd have to restart in 1094 days. Just might be enough time to install one patch.

//slipstreaming SP2 right now

News Comments > Half-Life 2 = Fool's Gold
24. Movie References... Aug 28, 2004, 13:47 Evil Timmy

That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!

/HL2 has been jammed.
//Suck suck suck.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: windows sp2 Aug 26, 2004, 10:29 Evil Timmy

I was runnning SP2 beta 2096, and upgraded to SP2 final from Windows Update with no problems. Give that a try; otherwise, you may be out of luck.

3. If only... Aug 25, 2004, 07:18 Evil Timmy

...the Steam forumers would actually watch that little informational video in the Media of the Day. To be honest, I have never seen a forum that's so full of repetitive threads, pointless posts, and sheer idiocy. The fact that constructive discussion does occasionally pop up makes it all the more frustrating, because if everyone really thought about what they were posting and followed basic forum etiquitte, the forums might be useful. They could be a place for intelligent and well-reasoned discussion of issues related to Valve's games and Steam, rather than a bunch of idiots blathering about how awful the AWP is (for the sixtieth time and without any defense) and why Steam sux!!!111four#

News Comments > Twilight War Declared
14. Re: No subject Aug 21, 2004, 13:19 Evil Timmy

Hooray, another heard-this-one-before MMORPG from a company nobody's heard of. This is certainly going to be a success.

What I would love to see is a bit more of the SP or even pen-and-paper RPG style integrated into MMORPGs. I love the player-driven economies and interaction inside guilds, but I sorely miss the incredibly detailed storyline and varying enviroments of a game like Fallout 2. The current missions in every MMOG I've played are one of two things: delivery boy or assassin. Why can't we have story missions that even approach the detail of the sidequests in most SP RPGs? Given all the different corporations/guilds/towns, there's got to be at least some material for some smaller storylines there.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Steam Preloads
55. Laugh with me, Jocko! Aug 19, 2004, 21:57 Evil Timmy

In terms of cracking Steam, it's been done already. There's a generic unprotect tool floating around the interweb.

And sponge, ehh, half of the games used for your comparison aren't even out yet. Before you make judgements like that, it may be worthwhile to, oh, I dunno, actually play them. kthxbye.

News Comments > X Xpansion
18. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2004, 21:39 Evil Timmy

Bleh...to be honest, I really disliked X2, largely because of the godawful interface. It felt like I had to wrestle the game to the ground, punch it in the face a few times, and choke it a bit before it'd do anything and that makes me cranky. From the interface and ease-of-use standpoint, EVE rips it to shreds (and looks prettier while doing so). X2 had potential, but a number of design issues and a horrid interface scared me away.

News Comments > New ATI Drivers
26. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2004, 19:23 Evil Timmy

They shut down WON to replace it with Steam
IF YOU DONT LIKE STEAM DONT USE IT!

Well now, I'm not the smartest person around, but...those two seem to be contradictory. You mention that their only other option for playing games they paid for and have a right to play is gone, but then say that if they don't like the new way they shouldn't use it. For people who have played these games for years, and know lots of people, or even play on a clan, what kind of an option is that? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for Steam, despite its occasional hiccups, but if someone is (at least nominally) on my side, I want them to make sense, rather than portray the perspective as a bunch of angry idiots.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source Beta Begins
29. Re: Huh? Aug 12, 2004, 03:35 Evil Timmy

CS is sort of like chess: a minute to learn, a lifetime to master. With an hour of personal tutoring from a friend, anyone can have the basics of the game down; learning and really knowing the maps, weapons, finer points of shooting and movement, those take much longer. CS on a public server and CS in a clan are very different games, and the levels of skill are hugely different. And yeah, getting accused of cheating is nothing. Depending on the server you play on, it's hard to make it through a single map without being accused of cheating by _someone_ who hasn't figured out what their right mouse button is yet. And, of course, there's no shortage of actual cheaters, which makes it even more insane.

As for why it's so popular...the netcode's excellent and includes lag compensation which makes it playable on dialup, the game runs on a computer that was mid-range three years ago, and you can pick up a copy of HL for $10 and play CS at no additional cost. Finally, everyone's tried it or knows about it, and many people have loads of friends who can or will only play CS.

News Comments > Fallout 3!
6. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2004, 17:21 Evil Timmy

Wow, this is great news. Bethesda's open-ended gameplay mixed with the rich atmosphere and backstory of Fallout should create a great game. I'll wait to see at least a bit of the game for further baseless opinions, but at this early stage, it sounds good. Very good.

News Comments > Universal Combat Expansion
76. X2, UC, and nephews Jul 8, 2004, 18:14 Evil Timmy

I sorta liked X2. The graphics were pretty good, the universe was expansive and detailed, the gameplay was open, and other than some incredibly silly names (Ban Danna?) the writing seemed decent. What turned me off to it was the complexity of the user interface, and how much you had to do to accomplish a simple action. Something along the lines of radial menus or other context-sensitive menus wouldn't have been amiss. After a few weeks of on-again, off-again play, I uninstalled it and haven't played it since. It may be a great game, but the learning curve was steep and the payoff seemed far away and rather minimal.

Now, I've co-GMed a number of games, writing loads of characters, backstory, and even custom rules. I've spent days of time getting prepared for a truly enjoyable experience. I've been into computer gaming for well over a decade, have a library of hundreds of games...but I don't have the patience to put up with a game that's more work than fun.

Enter UC. There's no tutorial, the manual is long and could use a much better writer, the graphics can't match up to most three-year-old games, and the game basically drops you in the deep end without a life preserver. After about fifteen minutes, it too was uninstalled. I unloaded it on an asshole acquaintance of mine for $5, and am surprised at the lack of death threats (although he did seem a bit more pissed off than usual).

Basically, Derek, get your ten-year-old newphew, or someone's kid from the office, to play your game. If they can't grasp at least the basic gameplay mechanics of your game within an hour or so, with no outside coaxing, then it's time to rethink how your gameplay works. I'm not saying they should understand the intricacies of politics or the economy, or all the twists and turns of the story, but they should be able to accomplish something in terms of the game and have some fun.

News Comments > Counter-Strike Updates
10. Re: No subject Jun 29, 2004, 17:26 Evil Timmy

-It is a bit slow, but that's because it has to log you in and scan for any updates in all of your games. You can make special shortcuts to make it faster, but even without them, it's not terribly long.
-This is part of the platform, but you could disable autoupdating for all your games and just wait for any updates to download whenever you want to play.
-Just take and copy or RAR up the whole game directory and burn it to as many CDs as you need, or copy it to another computer. Then, reinstall Steam, and copy/extract the files back.
-You can play for three days without authenticating if you don't have an internet connection available; after that, you have to verify via email to extend it by another three days. So, for games that have SP components, only a minimal connection is required.
-Apparently it's not implemented yet. But then, what's the point of it?
-There's some basic stuff that will always auto-update (HL Engine, Steam platform), but if you have a game set to 'Do not automatically update this game', it won't.

However, it looks like the 'You can just go back to 1.5 if you don't like the changes' argument is going to disappear pretty soon. Maybe everyone's forgetting, but WON wasn't exactly the best system either. The in-game server browser for HL-engine games was godawful, and there were fairly frequent outages. Steam's interface is much nicer, it's quite stable, and although it still seems incomplete, it's obviously still getting some love from Valve. Hopefully it'll see even more love when more of the HL2 team is finished, so it'll be pretty feature-complete and robust for The Big Launch.

News Comments > Help Wanted
11. Re: Let's Play A Game! Jun 28, 2004, 01:10 Evil Timmy

#4 seems most likely, to be honest.

(#1 won't matter because of nuclear winter, #2 because I wouldn't have time to play if it happened, #3 because they'll die overdosing on something within the next decade, #5 because the whole Middle East doesn't seem to want peace)

And maybe this means they'll be putting out DNF on the Unreal 3 engine. Whee!

News Comments > etc.
21. Stealth-type game? Jun 28, 2004, 00:49 Evil Timmy

Someone above mentioned the Thief games...assuming someone is actually backing the developer with a fair budget, they could probably pull off a decent sneaking-type game. You could be an early member of the church, sneaking around Roman cities at night and relaying information, or even helping to move copies of different books of the Bible. And, instead of offensive weapons, you'd be given a broader variety of traps and disabling tools. Moral dilemmas could also come in; you could rob someone for your own gain, but it may harm another character later on in the story. It'd have to be well pulled off, but with solid funding and a team that's actually committed to making a triple-A title, it could happen.

But then, a world leader 'could' admit they're wrong. Doesn't mean it's ever going to happen.

The difficult thing for any developer or publisher would be to overcome the stigma that Christian games have, to be honest, earned. It'd take a rather good game to make people realize that they're not trash, but very few publishers want to take a risk like that, and thus you're stuck in an endless cycle.
This comment was edited on Jun 28, 00:52.

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo