Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Early?
89. Re: Half-Life 2 release time Nov 12, 2004, 14:17 Evil Timmy

Release time is midnight PST (GMT-8). Have a look at this ( http://www.hlfallout.net/comments.php?id=7556 ) for that time in your local time zone. It's a simultaneous worldwide release.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Ban Comic Sans Nov 11, 2004, 01:16 Evil Timmy

I've felt that way about Comic Sans (or Jester, its bastard cousin) for a long time. They're cute in very limited contexts, but when everyone and their grandmother thinks it's just the best font ever, it makes me want to start up a website like that. Thankfully, someone's saved me the trouble. The anti-Comic-Sans party has my vote in '08.

News Comments > NFS: Underground 2 Patch
1. I smell anti-piracy measures Nov 11, 2004, 01:12 Evil Timmy

So, the game's almost a week away from street, yet they release a patch less than a day after the warez release. Seems a bit suspicious to me, especially coupled with the lack of info about what it does. Maybe they're blocking all the keys that end in -RLD0?

News Comments > Vampire Next Week
66. Re: Another stupid RPG... Nov 9, 2004, 22:29 Evil Timmy

First of all, I'm quite happy to see this finally being released. HL2 still takes precedence (I'm a mod @ HLFallout.net, and I've already paid for it), but this is definitely on my to-play list. I also manage to have time because I'm doing my uni studies online. Most of my assignments are on a 3-6 week timeframe, so I'll slave to either get them done early or finish them off in the last few days, and alternate between that and game binges, depending on those releases. Between HL2, V:TMB, NFSU2, and EVE' Shiva/Exodus content patch, I'll have plenty to keep me busy, so these next couple of days involve a lot of slaving over schoolwork.

As for the text-menu thing, why not just have it action-based (at least, for the simple go-or-don't actions)? The guy talks to you, says "If you're interested, follow me" or "Meet me in the alley behind the bar in a few minutes. You leave first." If you go along, it starts the mission, if you don't, you stay in the world like normal, and there's no dialogue needed. Of course, this doesn't really work for cutscenes with dialog, but there's not much you can do about that. At least, not until games and quality voice recognition software collide.

News Comments > Source SDK Tools & More H-L2 Preloads
15. Re: Made myself a little room.. Nov 6, 2004, 10:16 Evil Timmy

Don't worry, Waachi. Top warez scientists across the globe are hard at work on HL2 as we speak.

News Comments > Metalheart: Replicants Rampage Demo
26. Re: Well.. Nov 1, 2004, 13:45 Evil Timmy

I'm inclined to agree with Paranoid, after about an hour of messing with it. You'd think that, given seven years and massive advances in computer technology, they'd be able to pull off something that even comes close to Fallout. Instead, the interface is big, clunky, and ugly, and the graphics are bland and under-detailed (FOT looks better than this). The gameplay mechanics are awful, especially the way combat works. Also, the dialogue is clearly translated and not translated all that well; a few bits are confusing and it all sounds like it was written by a pre-teen kid. I hadn't heard of this game before today, and with this pile of steaming sorry-excuse-for-a-demo, I'm not going to bother keeping up with it. I guess I'm stuck waiting for Bethesda.

News Comments > Rebel without a Pulse Announced
9. Re: No subject Oct 29, 2004, 05:54 Evil Timmy

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/rebelwithoutapulse/screens.html?page=3

"...remove the head, or destroy the brain."

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Flash click to view Oct 27, 2004, 14:04 Evil Timmy

More off topic than OOTB posts usually are, but I think I've fallen in love with Flash click to view, a great extension for Firefox. Basically, before any Flash/Shockwave movie will play, you have to click on it to start it. This means no sounds, no animations, nothing. Makes the pages here and everywhere load faster and scroll without the slightest hint of lag. Get it here: http://flashblock.mozdev.org/

complicity: Yeah, I've listened to it. And, while it's not as good as their previous albums, mostly because it's inconsistent, the high points are very, very high. I think Imagine ranks up there with Magdalena, The Noose, and The Outsider as one of my favorite APC tracks.
This comment was edited on Oct 27, 14:07.

News Comments > C-S: Source Content Plans
5. Hammer time Oct 27, 2004, 06:04 Evil Timmy

Them porting over classic maps is good and all, and it's nice to hear there's something new in the pipeline, but...officially release the editor already, FFS! I don't care so much about the same old maps as seeing what Source can really do for a MP FPS. However, I suspect they're holding it back until HL2 comes out, as they share a lot of the same resources, some of which Valve may be reluctant to release in advance. Aah well...

News Comments > NFS Underground 2 Demo
17. NSIS, Wise, or InstallShield, not WinZip Oct 27, 2004, 00:25 Evil Timmy

When will professional game developers realize that WinZip SFX EXEs suck? Use a proper install system, or fix your own installer, so that you can put out a single EXE file that uses internal compression, contains all you need for the setup, and that cleans up the temp installer files after it's done. Don't make me extract THEN run the setup, and leave me to delete the useless installer files on my own.

Curse the fact that I can't *PROPER* a crap EA demo release.

As for the actual game, I really enjoyed Outrun mode, and it seems like it'd be awesome for LAN games. Your knowledge of the maps and quick reaction time can turn a huge lead into a neck-and-neck race, or vice versa. My only issue with it is that the radius around a car you have to be in is pretty small, and when using a keyboard and trying to drive and set yourself up at the same time, it can be annoying trying to get the outrun race actually started. The new downhill drift is absolutely insane, and takes a bit of getting used to when you're more familiar with NFSU's track-based drifting. Regular circuit racing is alright, but the perpetual twilight combined with the often rainy conditions, the overall busy brightness of the city, and more than a few nasty sharp corners, can make seeing precisely where you want to go difficult at times. Graphics-wise, most of the improvement seems to be in the lighting, and there's a number of new effects over NFSU, but I'm not really impressed by any of them. It's defintely an upgrade over NFSU, but I doubt I'll pay $50 for it, especially with enough other stuff (especially HL2) out around the same time to keep me occupied.
This comment was edited on Oct 27, 01:13.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. Those crazy kids at GSC... Oct 26, 2004, 06:44 Evil Timmy

TBH, I can't remember seeing so many Q&As about a single game, ever. Oleg must have a Q&A session fetish, as you'd think he'd get tired of them after the first hundred or so. It is nice, however, to see devs that actually bother to communicate with their fans, rather than sending out press releases every few months.

News Comments > NFSU2 Movie
1. Nice to see the new nitrous system Oct 21, 2004, 06:47 Evil Timmy

I like the way the new nitrous system works. Seems like it should give a boost (tee-hee) to an often-insane driver such as myself. And, for only being a PS2 version, the video looks pretty good...can't wait to see the PC version in action. Now I'm gonna be playing NFSU2 on the 15th, HL2 on the 16th, and EVE Online's big new content patch (Shiva) on the 17th. While HL2 takes precedence, if I want a breather, it appears I'll have plenty to keep me occupied.

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Source Update
7. Re: CS:S Updates Oct 20, 2004, 04:46 Evil Timmy

I like how Valve's idea of a QA department is myg0t.

News Comments > VU Sells Knowledge Adventure
3. Re: waiting.... Oct 5, 2004, 13:11 Evil Timmy

So, they have no trouble haemorraging money and divisions, but when it comes to games (you all know what I'm talking about) they flow like a corpse...thanks, VU.

News Comments > Universal Combat: Hostile Intent
47. Re: No subject Oct 5, 2004, 07:26 Evil Timmy

You are good at throwing insults at devs... why dont you do better?

My living doesn't depend on making games and getting them sold. When you do something as a profession, the standards are a bit higher. Saying we should make our own games is like telling Pavoratti to make a better sandwich if he gets a poor quality BLT at a restaurant and complains about it. It's not a standard he's expected to be held to, while it is expected of a 'fine dining establishment', and since he is their customer, he's perfectly just in complaining. In the same way, a short-order cook isn't expected to be an exceptional tenor. So, Internet (yes, all of you), can we not ever use this stupid argument again?
This comment was edited on Oct 5, 07:27.

News Comments > Universal Combat: Hostile Intent
27. Re: very pretty Oct 5, 2004, 01:35 Evil Timmy

I think you've spent too much time staring at Michael Bolton's hair (and/or hope you're being sarcastic). There's dozens of games out with graphics that are head, shoulders, torso, waist, and legs above those. It doesn't look like Mr. Smart has seen any games released in the past four years or so, or he'd see how horribly outdated (and flat-out ugly) those graphics look. 3dMark01 looks significantly better than that. But it's alright, we all know he's off in his own little world anyways.

If you're going to sacrifice graphics for gameplay, I'm all for it. If you're going to sacrifice gameplay too, to appeal to a hardcore niche market, I don't think it's wise from an early retirement standpoint, but then again, it's your choice. However, if you're going to sacrifice any semblance of playability for any sane person, because you've got unrealistic dreams, little sense of proper game design and what makes games worth buying and playing, and a talent pool that's a bit too shallow, I think you're a fucking moron.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Release Dates?
30. omg shiny Oct 1, 2004, 11:13 Evil Timmy

If you want to see how HL2 is looking these days, I suggest you take a look here:
http://www.fastuploads.info/hl2/

News Comments > 3DMark05 Released
33. Re: Hah!!!! Sep 29, 2004, 16:01 Evil Timmy

Shataan, your score's pretty abnormally low. I'm running an Athlon XP 2800+ (no OC), 1GB DDR (dual stick, single channel) and a R9700 Pro, and scored a bit over 2800. If the shader performance in the GFFX series of cards really makes that big of a difference...wow, I'm glad I went ATi 18 months ago

And, ehh, yeah...with the system configuration above, I'm just starting to see games that are pushing my vidcard towards retirement to a non-gaming PC. Oddly enough, it's been an RTS, WH40k: Dawn of War, that's made me realize it. With the huge number of units and effects that you'll often see and all the geometry that's pushing, it's stretching my card a bit past its limits. Doom 3 didn't bug me because, at 1024x768 med. detail, you're not missing out on much, and I rarely dropped below 40fps. Far Cry always ran perfectly. Hopefully, I can get a new Athlon FX/shiny new generation PEG card/dual-channel DDR2 setup around Christmas, so my system won't get the crap kicked out of it by some of the upcoming games (Unreal 3, TESIV, I'm looking at you). I'm personally surprised it's lasted this long...shows how great the Radeon 9700s really were.

News Comments > Racing Q&As
1. Rubber-banding Sep 18, 2004, 07:21 Evil Timmy

Hopefully they'll do away with, or at least give you more control over, the rubber-banding in NFSU2. Even if you drive exceptionally well, you're never more than a few seconds ahead of your opponents, and the game likes to throw more stuff in your way when you're in first place, so 59 seconds of perfection can be thrown down the drain by one second of driving a little off. Also, the multiple-cars-in-drift-mode thing just sounds stupid. It's already hard enough to get a 100K+ Drift King drift, but running into other morons while attempting to do so...bleh. Sounds like they're taking an even more arcadey-action direction with a game that used to be about pure, fun, speedy driving.

I think I'm going to go reinstall NFS:SE...

News Comments > GTA: San Andreas PC
3. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2004, 23:24 Evil Timmy

Sounds like the May-after release the last two GTA PC games have gotten. Not really surprising, though, as their success on PS2 has been stunning, while PC sales haven't been anything spectacular. And there's no reason you have to buy it twice; rent it for a week for PS2, and 100% it with the PC version a few months later, when guides will be available if you need help (and, of course, summer won't be far away).

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo