Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Q&As
2. Re: Ishtan Sounds Scarily Amateurish Feb 2, 2005, 14:52 Evil Timmy

Isthan is basically an anachronism. When modern (successful) MMO games are moving towards less class restrictions and more freedom to develop, and balance between the races, they seem to want to pigeonhole you from the start. When they try to give players a flexible but overall friendly experience, Ishtan wants a system that gives more options but begs to have griefers exploit it. When they have pretty websites and detailed, creative artwork throughout the game, Ishtan apparently thinks that every graphical advancement past HW T&L and MS Paint is the work of Satan.

While they may have a sliver of a chance after much more development, this was very much the wrong time to show the game. It's fugly, a lot of the concepts feel like they're yet to encounter reality or sanity, and there's really not a lot to show. Maybe a year of solid development from now they would have attracted...well...anyone, but as it is, the first impression gamers and investors will have is 'bleh'.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Delayed Again
13. Re: I dont follow this game anymore.. Feb 2, 2005, 11:15 Evil Timmy

Maybe if the devs hadn't spent half their time giving interviews and telling us how great this game is going to be, we'd have it this May. My excitement for it has waned considerably after so many delays and the increasing number of features that are disappearing or being pared down.

News Comments > Overdose Announced
4. Re: No subject Jan 27, 2005, 11:08 Evil Timmy

Oh, look, yet another not-at-all-derivative action game, with a cop who gets involved with people selling drugs. The John Woo thing means plenty of slow-motion bits and unnecessary kung fu when a pistolwhip would do the trick. All they need to do is kill off the guy's family and start quoting Desiderius Erasmus, and they've got Max Pay- err, something new, exciting and original that represents a significant step forward in the gaming industry. And, of course, because it's multi-platform, all the assets will be made to look beautiful on a high-res PC monitor and will be scaled down for other platforms, rather than be targeted at the lowest common denominator and minimally retouched for PC.

*sigh*

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
26. Re: No subject Jan 26, 2005, 13:48 Evil Timmy

From what I understand, Rambus had already filed the patents, but they hadn't been approved yet. If Rambus didn't let the secret out, nobody would have known. They used this to their advantage, suggesting that some of their standards (which were patent pending) be used by everyone, and assuming they could bleed the companies for money later. It's like renting out a house you know will fall over, then suing the people when it does.

RDRAM did show a performance gap over DDR (at the time), but when it required a different motherboard and paired modules that were painfully expensive, the little bump it gave you in performance really wasn't worth it, and it was soon surpassed by DDR. This meant it showed up in only the highest-end systems, and only for a short while. I've found that most people who are paying more for the 'same' system components do so because it's a rock-solid product with good support. Corsair's memory won't give you a huge leap in performance over the competitors, but you can rely on it working, and having excellent support should you encounter any problems. RDRAM, on the other hand, was often a pain to deal with, and I shed no tears over its demise. These lawsuits seem to be little more than a corpse twitching.

News Comments > MMO Subscription Updates
3. Re: Good but proves something Jan 14, 2005, 14:33 Evil Timmy

Heh, the free AO deal reminds me of an old episode of Cheers, where they find out the bar's liquor license has expired.

"But we can give it away!"

News Comments > Universal Combat: A World Apart in May
9. Re: Not Again... Jan 14, 2005, 14:28 Evil Timmy

Sweet, another game where I can expect to take the length of an entire workday figuring out what's actaully going on, and the next 15 minutes cursing the psychoses that (a) brought about such bass-ackwards batshit insane design decisions, and (b) caused me to even think about playing another one of these overambitious-but-half-done steaming piles of s- ...oftware, and three minutes uninstalling it.

In other news, Derek Smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Demo
66. Re: No subject Dec 21, 2004, 02:42 Evil Timmy

owever, load times are very long, and increase with the number of save games you have (just as KOTOR did, if I recall). Half-Life 2 seems to archive them to keep only a certain number active, which helps for that game.

This is true of most RPGs. As you get further along in the game, there's much more state data to save. I would have hoped that they'd have figured out a way to optimize those saves, after decades of game programming. I guess having a simple check, 'Has the player been here since the last save? No? Then just use the old data', is entirely too much to ask from paid professionals. Since most FPSes don't care about what happened a map back, they only have to save info about the current scene, meaning (generally) smaller and faster saves.

And Steam isn't the Antichrist, no matter how much some of you want to think it is. Some of the early issues with HL2 were resolved in the first week, while, by comparison, Bloodlines is still waiting for patches for some very serious CTD and other issues. Steam's far from perfect, of course, but it's also the first popular venture of its kind, and runs reasonably well on all but a small handful of (generally older) systems. It's been continually improved for well over a year, and it'll continue to be refined and made more stable as time passes. I suspect its success will push more similar projects forward, or entice existing publishers and developers to sign up with Valve, so you might as well knuckle under and accept it now.

This comment was edited on Dec 21, 02:44.

News Comments > Gothic III
47. Re: Inventory Dec 18, 2004, 03:42 Evil Timmy

I loved the original Gothic. It's a big open world, plenty of choices, and if you're brave, you can do all sorts of things that may not have been intended. The world also felt very alive, with people going to bed, working, that sort of thing. I wasn't as fond of the second game, but my opinion of it mostly suffered as a comparision to the first game. The graphical improvements were nice, and the larger world was good. The depth of the gameplay and the many side quests and stories were what made both truly impressive, though. The keyboard-based controls did take a bit of getting used to, but after you get over that learning curve (which really isn't that hard), the combat is fun, challenging, and a lot more involving than in, say, Morrowind, or most any other RPG.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: oh no!!! Dec 12, 2004, 14:07 Evil Timmy

I set up a wireless network for the first time last night, for a friend-of-a-friend. It worked fine, but after rebooting, the system locked before even the first stage of Windows startup. Turned out there was an incombatibility, with no fix, for that particular combo of laptop and wireless NIC. Otherwise, though, it went just fine. If it weren't for the generally poor latencies I've been hearing about, I'd certainly be considering setting up a wireless network at home, after the relatively pain-free experience. But when I can manage 15ms pings to quite a few local servers, and my gaming box isn't the one directly hooked in to my modem, I'm not going to do anything to screw that up.

News Comments > Site Seeing
1. This the sequel that makes the game fun? Dec 10, 2004, 01:51 Evil Timmy

Seriously, X seemed like a game with a lot of potential, but it's also one of the most amazingly obtuse games I've ever played. Hopefully they can take cues from other space games that have succeeded and give it depth in the right places, and not just in terms of how many menus you have to go through to do many of the basic actions. While I'm sure there are fans of the original out there, they're more dedicated people than I. Even after about 90 minutes of reading, experimenting, tweaking, checking forums, and similar stuff, the game still felt like I was having to wrestle it to the ground to get it to do anything. I'm personally fond of the '8-year-old child' school of thought. If your game can't be figured out, to the point that it's fun, by an eight-year-old child given half an hour, then the interface needs to be redone.

Also...Ban Danna? Quite possibly the worst name ever. Even the stuff that comes out of http://www.cheekysquirrel.net/squirrelname/ is a better choice than that.

News Comments > Homebrew Vampire Patch
4. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2004, 11:29 Evil Timmy

Supposedly, a patch is on the way, but there's no ETA or any list of what fixes are included. Personally, I think it's sad that a new, non-budget game is to the point that the community is relied on for a smoothly working game. There's a number of rather severe issues in the game, not to mention the many places that could use a lot of polish. I'm inclined to agree with nin's idea: no more Troika games until they hit the bargain bin, by which time someone will have come up with a patch. Say what you will about Steam, but the ability to quickly and automatically deploy a small patch, like they did with Half-Life 2, is really nice when you consider the other way of doing things, with situations like this.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - PC Chronicles of Riddick
9. Re: Finally! Dec 8, 2004, 12:05 Evil Timmy

I played through HL2 in a marathon session (interruped only by lunch with friends), then went on to VTM Bloodlines. That got replayed quite quickly, and turned out to be a very different experience (went from a Ventrue to a Malkavian). After that, playing through HL2 again wasn't as stunning of an experience. Still, it was a great game, just because it's presented so stunningly well. The physics, while cool, weren't as terribly revolutionary as Valve seemed to be playing, but they're still fun to play around with (especially if you turn on sv_cheats and try host_timescale 0.4). Hopefully they'll push future FPSes towards the same thing (like the 'grass' and 'helmets you can shoot off' trends), and we'll see some truly interesting uses of physics in the next few years.

As for this game, while I can't say I've been eagerly anticipating it, the Xbox reviews were uniformly good, so hopefully it made the transition to a proper platform for FPSes well.

News Comments > The Mod Squads - Sven Coop 2 Details
1. I want it Dec 4, 2004, 14:03 Evil Timmy

Half-Life 2 will be great as an MP experience (just imagine a pair of airboats, with a driver and a gunner on each, cruising through the canals...), and I'm eagerly anticipating what mappers will do when let loose in the Source engine. Some of the most fun I've ever had with the original HL was in games of Sven Co-op, so the even more flexible and detailed nature of Source should lend itself well to all sorts of new maps and scenarios.

Only thing I want to see that's missing (although this is on Valve's shoulders) is a better editing tool. Hammer was based on a very old paradigm, and thankfully computing power has evolved since then. Let's see something like Far Cry's editing tool, where you pop into the game and can manipulate stuff as you run along. Of course, you'd have to do a final precision compile before distribution, but having to compile it each and every time you want to test something new gets annoying, especially with larger and more complex maps.

38. Con ay yo cona say, you bitch Dec 3, 2004, 12:55 Evil Timmy

For those of you whose game is too dark...try mat_monitorgamma 1.8. 2.2 is the default, and it seems much darker than anything else. 1.6 is as low as you can go (at least in the vgui), and it looks a bit washed out, while 1.8 allows you to see most of the darker areas just fine, without screwing up the colors.

Also, if you get my post title (and didn't look it up), you may just qualify for Coolest Person Ever(tm).

News Comments > Rainbow Six 4 Details Soon
11. Re: Thin Line Between Love & Hate Nov 30, 2004, 10:15 Evil Timmy

Reactor, just wait until they hit the ninth installment in the series...

While it's near impossible to find online games in Hong Kong, it's a lot of fun in LAN play. The only real annoyance was the CD key checks when playing LAN games; the only room big enough for everyone + tables + computers would have required 15m of CAT-5 to the nearest source of internet, meaning it took a while for us to get into a round waiting for it to time out. Hopefully they'll have a smarter LAN mode in this version.

3. Re: No subject Nov 20, 2004, 11:56 Evil Timmy

I've found that the experience at the DMV varies on who you get. I went in this summer to apply for my driver's test, and the woman who helped me seemed to not have much of a clue. She said I needed both a bill or something similar for proof of address, along with a certified birth certificate. So, I had to sort through my piles of mail for something with my exact name on it (I live out of the country, but am still legally a resident of Washington state), and send off a cashier's check and a form to California. Two weeks later, I finally got the certificate, and returned to the same DMV location. Asked to sign up for my driver's test, and all I had to have was the fee and my passport. Everything went through fine, too. So, how pleasant your experience turns out really depends on who ends up 'helping' you.

News Comments > DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil Details
22. Re: Double barreled shottie... Nov 20, 2004, 11:39 Evil Timmy

Dear id/Nerve,

We've got Half-Life 2 now. Please cease your pointless noisemaking and come back when you've got something new, and more importantly, fun. Oh, and make sure we can see it, too. Thank you.

-Gamers everywhere

News Comments > H-L 2 Start-up Bug?
5. Re: Gary McTaggart Nov 16, 2004, 09:54 Evil Timmy

I ran into another error, got frustrated, and played Bloodlines for a bit. Came back, noticed this fix mentioned at HLFallout, and moved/redownloaded (figured it couldn't hurt, I can't play at all as it is). Played a bit more Bloodlines. Finally got to play HL2, after six hours of waiting. I'm glad that there is a fix, but it was really frustrating, after all that ancicipation, and then not being able to play. Hopefully they'll find what's causing the error and put out a small patch, rather than making anyone else redownload.

News Comments > ATI PunkBuster Fix
5. Re: HL2 FPS boost Nov 14, 2004, 12:08 Evil Timmy

From the 4.11s, the jump is generally under 10fps, but it's a consistent increase. From 4.10s and earlier, the FPS jump has generally been 10-25fps (this based on reports @ HLFallout.net, from people running the CS Source Visual Stress Test). My R9700 Pro/AXP 2800+/1GB DDR went from ~84fps to 114fps, and CS:S is noticably smoother, so I'm happy with them.

News Comments > ATI PunkBuster Fix
1. HL2 FPS boost Nov 14, 2004, 11:07 Evil Timmy

If you're a regular CS:S player or plan to play HL2 in the next few days, you might want to check out this driver set. They seem to give pretty decent FPS boosts to everyone playing either game on the Source engine, and in my own personal use, I haven't run into any issues with them.

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo