Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 427 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > JoWooD's Pulse
18. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 13:04 Evil Timmy

...wanted the source...

That's standard practice in the gaming industry; the publisher is the one who owns their work at all points. If they're terminating a contract, they'll take the existing work and give that to another developer so they can actually make use of the license (which is generally given with an expiration date, so it's use it or lose it).

...and all the money back

That seems to contradict the story, which says 'JoWooD has already paid the undisputable amount of EUR 5.5 Mio'. That's not pocket change; in fact, that's not much below what you'd expect as a budget for an A-level title in the States, which is probably undoubtedly where this was headed. TV licenses and AAA games just don't seem to go together, but nor was this a straight-to-bargain-bin game.

So, if I'm wrong about this, please correct me (ie link me) and let me know why I shouldn't like or trust Jowood, as they still seem like a perfectly fine publisher.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > F.E.A.R. Director's Edition
13. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2005, 01:02 Evil Timmy

If only I could have made the demo run with sound enabled...aah well. I'll wait for a scene release, see if it actually works, then I'll consider picking this up. And to be honest, I'd pay $5 for the convenience of only having one disc and the higher transfer rates of a DVD, regardless of extras. I agree with releasing games that are more than two CDs on DVD, as any computer capable of playing modern games has a DVD drive, if not a DVD burner. A DVD-ROM drive is essentially the same price as a CD drive, so why not?

At the same time, bring on the online releases. Living in an Asian country, releases here are by and large behind those in the US, and Steam's HL2 release worked without a hitch for me. I think dropping the price, even by $5-10, will encourage more people to consider it, and then maybe we can see wider acceptance and better services. Ideally, an intrepid team of developers would write an open-source multiplatform distribution and update client...I'd love to be able to apt-get all the games on my system, and everything else for that matter.

News Comments > It Came from QuakeCon, Part 5
21. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2005, 14:50 Evil Timmy

It's really too bad there's not more emergence in FPS gameplay, and especially puzzles based on it. Let's say you walk onto a factory floor, and realize that you've gotta get through a door on the other side, but it's locked tight and there are two guards standing beside it. The rest of the factory is robots (Deus Ex-era), not guards but simply more versatile versions of modern-day construction robots. There's a number of possibilities, all of which, in an ideal game, would work. And, with features currently available in game engines, should be possible.

* Survey the ceiling for any precarious hanging objects that might destroy the door, taking the guards with it.
* Similarly, look for any explosives that might cause a chain reaction that results in destroying the door and/or killing the guards.
* Find a robot whose route takes it near the door, toss a remote explosive onto it, and set it off at the right time.
* Make your way to the control room, either avoiding the robots (so you don't have to deal with their mindless cycling through tasks, which may get you crushed) or using them as cover.
* Distract the guards by destroying something elsewhere in the map, that sends them in that direction rather than where you actually are. Use the opportunity to snipe them, or simply waltz up to the door and blast straight through it.

Now, all these require a decent level of physics and/or AI quality. For example, being able to use a physics event and have the AI take note requires the AI to be able to judge (a) what is normal in the world (b) what is abnormal but acceptable (c) what is abnormal and requires a response and (d) what response should that be. If the AI doesn't answer these questions in a reasonable and fast manner, you're pulled out of the illusion of a real, working world. The real issues are setting what the AI notices and how sensitive it is to those things (for example, a clank near a quiet guardpost is suspicious, a clank in the middle of a machine shop is not), and what reaction it should take given a certain level of a certain stimulus. Physics hardware is just now being talked about, so what about AI hardware? And how could improvements to gaming AI cross over into the AI of your web browser, office suite, and other software?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

News Comments > F.E.A.R. SP Demo
40. Re: It's a resource hog. Aug 5, 2005, 14:40 Evil Timmy

Screen bob has bugged me for a long time, but now I'm gaming on a projector...I really hope there's some way to shut it off, otherwise I won't be able to play this demo. In case anyone doesn't know, the reason that it causes the feelings of nausea in some people is that your body is perceiving motion but doesn't have the corresponding shifting of fluids in the inner ear that help you keep your balance. The combination of those two does weird things to your perception, and in many cases, causes feelings of nausea.

Those hardware specs are insane, though...at the same time, I'd imagine that people buying a brand-new gaming box this year would be shooting for something like that anyways (I know I am). Also, their definition of 'recommended' is very vague...it'd be a lot more understandable if they're talking about playing at 1600x1200 (or 1920x1200, for widescreen gamers) with full-res shader effects and dynamic lighting, but for a more mid-range 1024x768 display, much more sane system specs should be playable. Keep in mind, 1600x1200 is almost 2.5x the pixels to render as 1024x768.

Still waiting for the demo to download courtesy of FileRush's torrent...guess I'll have to see how it is tomorrow morning.

News Comments > Sam & Max May Yet Return
17. Re: Teaser Aug 2, 2005, 06:51 Evil Timmy

I want. I want so very very much. Sam and Max is still in my hallowed list of Early Adventure Games That Still Rock, and it's not a long list. While the mechanics of the game could use an update, that's by no means what made the game great. The characters, dialogue, and overall story were just this side of insane (with occasional bits over the line), and it made for some spectacularly funny gameplay. It's one of the few games that's actually more fun to watch than it is to play (in a good way, not a Battlecruiser Millennium way). With Purcell behind it, it's got to be at least good, and with a whole team of talented devs behind it, it could rank up there with modern-day games, but with the pervading sense of humor that most recent adventure games are lacking.

That said, a Sam and Max movie? Again, with Purcell at the helm...dear God, that could be excellent.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
5. Re: No subject Aug 1, 2005, 13:02 Evil Timmy

Gothic 3 is pretty certainly this year, and TES: Oblivion may be a Christmas release as well. Anachronox was a hell of a lot of fun, and unexpected, so I don't know if a sequel was ever destined to be. We can still sacrifice goats to the Dark Lord of PC RPGs and hope, I guess.

20. Re: Serious Sam Jul 21, 2005, 03:20 Evil Timmy

Oblivion, I want. I really hope it's spectacular, because it'll be the base of Fallout 3, which to be honest I'm anticipating even more, especially after seeing what the engine can do. Now, both being outstanding and true classics? A gamer can only dream. From the various interviews they've been doing, it seems they know exactly what the problems with Morrowind were, and they're doing their best to fix those problems (I remember an early interview where one of the devs specifically stated NO CLIFF RACERS!). I've been holding off on an upgrade to my gaming system until something came around that really justified an entire new system, and at the moment, it's looking like Oblivion will be it.

As for Serious Sam, playing it on the hardest difficulty with a few friends blasting away on co-op is one of my fondest LANning memories. It really never was about the graphics, it's just about having fun blasting away at armies of enemies, and having fun is exactly what I did. Bring on the sequel.

News Comments > Myst V: End of Ages Limited Edition
3. Re: Myst V Jul 10, 2005, 12:44 Evil Timmy

By the way, if you're a Myst fan and haven't read the trilogy of books that basically leads into the first game, you're doing yourself a great disservice. For that matter, if you're just interested in clever fantasy-meshed-with-technology literature, give them a look.

Amazon linky:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1401307817/qid=1121013797/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-8038012-7648639
This comment was edited on Jul 10, 12:48.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. It's personal Jul 8, 2005, 04:52 Evil Timmy

Really, though, it depends on how good your eyes are and how trained you are. I've been using computers for a very long time, and staring at a CRT set to 60Hz bugs the hell out of me (so do flourescent lights, if that's the only source of lighting). There's other people who don't even notice it. In my experience, 72Hz seems to be the 'magic number', in that even those with trained eyes can hardly detect a flicker. Of course, if you're really more sensitive than that, and it's not just your mind getting ahead of your senses, by all means use a higher refresh rate. Then again, with LCDs becoming more and more dominant, the refresh rate issue will be less significant, and current response times are plenty for every application I can think of. Keep in mind that even 12ms means it can display 83.3 full frames a second, beyond what all but a tiny fraction of humans can perceive as a jump between two still images.

News Comments > No Postal Movie Yet
14. Re: No subject Jun 15, 2005, 15:18 Evil Timmy

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed that Uwe Boll is sort of the Derek Smart of movies? Lots and lots of promises, good concepts, seems like with such a good premise it'd be hard to screw up. Yet, time and time again, it happens. And, despite this, their work gets released on a fairly regular basis. The only significant variation beyond the media is that DS shows how much he hates the world by explaining to everyone that they're inferior beings not gifted enough to understand, and UB shows it by continuing to make movies.

As for a Postal movie...the game itself was an amusing romp marred by long load times and an odd feel to the combat, but it wasn't anything spectacular. If they keep the sick sense of humor and general irrevrence intact while expanding it to the storyline of the movie, it could be entertaining. Given the history of game-to-movie conversions, and especially those done by UB, there's not a chance in hell this will happen. However, this seems to not be the case. Maybe someone will properly present it to a director who could pull it off. Tarantino, maybe?

News Comments > Prey to Stream Like Steam
47. Re: A few answers... May 21, 2005, 06:04 Evil Timmy

I'd rather deal with Steam than evil crap like Starforce. At least I can close Steam, and it runs fine on every system I've ever tried. The portability aspect is also nice when I head to a friend's house. Steam's also gotten much nicer on the memory drain in recent updates, from ~45MB to 9-10MB. And if you don't want to wait for HL2 to update, select 'Do not update this game' in the game's advanced settings. While this won't work for online play, you can still play SP games or against bots. You can also have Steam make a desktop shortcut to any game you want, so one double-click will get you to the game's main menu.

However, I think the lack of a standard for game updating is going to be resolved in the next few years, as broadband gets faster and more ubiquitous. If nothing else, each publisher will have their own framework for updating. It may even end up being an OSS project, which can scan your game files (even hash check them, if necessary), grab any updates, and otherwise keep your game running as well as it can. It will happen, but the when and how are a bit unclear.

News Comments > 3000AD vs. DC Rd 2
96. Re: No subject May 19, 2005, 14:20 Evil Timmy

Wow, two DS replies in one DS thread, and they're separated by scores of posts. Impressive. Most impressive. (Ep3 is awesome, btw).

The biggest problem I have with Derek, from the game developer standpoint, is the great promises that never really come through. If the entire promised feature list ended up in the final game, and working to some acceptable level, I'd be on it in an instant, and would buy copies for all my friends. However, time after time, despite the most grandiose promises, it never comes through. There are occasional sparkles of brilliance, but it's not worth digging through two tons of fecal matter to find one bag of M&Ms.

Personally, I'm sticking with Mount & Blade...despite being a beta, it runs smoothly, the gameplay is enjoyable, and overall it's a great game. And, oddly enough, the current features parallel many of those promised for the BC games (albeit in a very different setting), and they work, and are loads and loads of fun. This from a husband-and-wife team working out of their home and selling the game in its current form for $10 a pop. Amazing how DS and his PhD and his financial backing and his talented team couldn't pull off the same thing on a much longer time frame.

Really, Derek, figure out a timeline for the next 2-3 years, and properly put out one game, that has all the features you've been promising and works without intense tweaking and patching. Prove all the trash-talkers wrong, and give the community something they can really enjoy, something you can be proud of as a pinnacle of achievement not just for a small dedicated niche of gamers, but as a milestone for gaming in general. Please.

6. Re: HL2 May 18, 2005, 13:27 Evil Timmy

The most interesting thing in the HL2 Q&A is the fact that third-party games are hitting Steam in the next few weeks. After all the complaints and initial bugs (the HL2 preload-cache-screwup and merchant server issues being the biggest), hatred toward Steam has settled down and many of the outstanding issues have been fixed. Hopefully third party games will start to expand Steam's flexibility and feature set, and being able to get stuff at the same time as the rest of the world, without having to wait for local stores to pick it up or to pay Amazon's shipping rates, is a very well-recieved feature on my part. That, and the slick automatic patching.

Stalker is, well, Stalker. It'll be beautiful, mind-blowingly fun, and an experience like no other. It'll also hopefully be out some time this decade. It's odd that the industry seems to have shifted into two camps: the 'we didn't have enough time, and our publisher sucks' developers and the 'it'll be done when it's done, but until then, here's a few more screenshots' developers. I wish they'd keep silent until they're in beta stage and everything's actually in the game before publishing their amazing feature sets and ever-so-shiny screenshots, but that seems to be exceedingly rare these days.

Alan Wake just seems awesome. Not Bruce Lee-awesome (since he was pure, unadultered 5'7" of awesome), but it's nice to see the talent and creativity behind Max Payne put into a different sort of gaming experience. And 2km view distances? Niiiiiice.

X3 might actually succeed, if they can get some proper QA people to fix the interface, and they drop the incredibly goofy character names. The game was fun, but it took a lot of struggling with the interface, even when I knew exactly what I was supposed to do. For the last time, programmers should not be the ones designing the interfaces. Any middle school student should be able to sit down and perform a decent set of tasks with it (and even have fun), without having to refer to a manual to do so.

News Comments > CS: Source Maps Next Week
16. Re: No subject May 7, 2005, 11:18 Evil Timmy

Even in classic CS, I'd run with minmodels. Having two distinct shapes, one for each team and distinct, is definitely a tactical advantage. Personally, if they added a few minor variations, things like a stitched-on name, a few different faces/skin tones, and helmet art, all without changing the overall appearance/size/shape of the model, I'd be very happy. Glad to see inferno getting the proper Source treatment. I always liked it as a CS map, and while the fanmade conversions have been decent, I'm sure the Valve team will make it even better.

HL2:LC should be interesting as an 'omg pretty' demonstration, but I'm wondering how far ahead the next-gen consoles are going to be when compared to the current top-range PC graphics, and what that'll do to steal their thunder. Because it's the end of the current generation, PC graphics are so far ahead, but with the brand-new technology going into these beasts, I'm afraid it could strike a blow to PC gamers, although the effects of that would be uncertain. It may push more developers to consoles, while at the same time sparking the indie revolution that's been brewing for a long time. Or it could be a minor dip in a chart for someone in Accounting that'll get smoothed over and ignored. Time will tell.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
22. Re: Now, now, Blue Apr 15, 2005, 02:31 Evil Timmy

Xbox + modchip + BitTorrent is a better deal.

There's no reason they shouldn't put as much RAM as they can while keeping it around the normal $300US price point. When the overhead is very, very low, more RAM pretty directly translates to more. More sounds, bigger textures, bigger levels, more models, etc. And, if asset management is coded well, shorter loading times as well. The Xbox2 also has to support 720p (1280x720) resolutions, so more RAM is helpful there. And, of course, while the code is less efficient at first, later on the devs will figure out how to eke out every bit of performance from that RAM.

Freedom of choice has its ups and downs...my next system (this summer) will likely have 2GB of RAM, because I'm sure games like TES Oblivion (and Fallout 3 ) will eat up as much of that as they can, and benefit from it. The resolutions that current high-end monitors can pull off (1920x1200 for Dell's 2405FPW) will probably justify the 512MB cards that are just now hitting the market. PC gaming again stays ahead of consoles, but at the cost of a significantly thinner wallet.

News Comments > NFS: Most Wanted Announced
12. Re: No subject Apr 11, 2005, 13:20 Evil Timmy

Just wondering...is there any platform that EA *won't* port their current series too? With the next iteration, will they be adding C64 and OS/2 support?

As for the series...the first three games were great (I still play the original from time to time, 'cause I loves me some Dodge Viper), but the Underground games were IMO a step in the wrong direction. People love driving fast cars on nice stretches of road, not buying crappy cars, upgrading them, and dodging through crosstown traffic all the time. The drift mode, one of the few highlights of NFSU, also seemed to be bashed repeatedly with a suck hammer in NFSU2. The sad thing is, there's not really anything recent and comparable for PC, which could be a symptom of rehash-itis. Someone give me powerful cars, open road, and decent MP...give me back the fun.

/still holding out for a sequel to Big Red Racing

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Boomer's coming back! Feb 10, 2005, 11:59 Evil Timmy

Having seen all of Battlestar Galactica (thanks SkyOne and BTEFNet), I'm very glad it's been picked up for another season. It's been a joy to watch through the whole run so far, and there's so many ways they could proceed from the great season finale. The 'baroque dream' with Balthar and Six in the last episode is one of the best-done sequences I've ever seen ANYWHERE...it almost sent shivers down my spine. The fact that the viewership on SciFi (a cable channel) have been double that of Enterprise (on broadcast TV) should be a testament to the fact that (a) people want good scifi shows and (b) Enterprise isn't one of them.

However, even though this season's done, 24 and Lost are still around to keep me entertained, and they're doing a great job of it. The main thing I miss now is a good animated series. Simpsons has been pretty uniformly dull this season, American Dad felt like a cheap ripoff of Family Guy (which hasn't restarted yet), and South Park's also yet to start its ninth season.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 12:01.

News Comments > Help Wanted
5. Re: No subject Feb 9, 2005, 12:09 Evil Timmy

Hey, they could hire me. I've got no app programming experience, just PHP, and have never headed up a team project in a corporate environment before. However, I've got a sense of humor and I clean up nicely. And, with my complete lack of relevant skills, Diablo 3 would still sell five million copies with me at the helm. For that matter, a mangey overweight orangutan with a substance abuse problem as a project lead could still pull 3.5-4 mil in retail sales. Real talent's undervalued in the gaming industry these days...profit margin is more important than putting out a game anyone will remember a year from now. The almost cultish status games and developers had a decade or more ago was cool.

News Comments > The Matrix Online Movies
3. Re: 2 second combat my ass Feb 9, 2005, 10:32 Evil Timmy

While most rounds take a bit longer than that, in melee combat, you're along for the ride. Select your fighting style and watch as you smash yet another mob (only 600 more to go for the next level, whee!). However, there's all sorts of special moves that you buy like any other skill and your basic buffs/pots, but these are rarely needed unless you're going PvE against a much tougher opponent (e.g. you're lv21, they're lv26). And, of course PvP combat is much more challenging, and just sitting there is likely to get you killed (not a big deal) and humiliated (much worse).

News Comments > 3D Gamers and IGN/GameSpy
13. Mc3DGamers Feb 9, 2005, 10:27 Evil Timmy

I wonder how long it'll take until we see ads for McGriddles plastered all over the 3DGamers front page.

427 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo