Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Too soon for irony? Sep 4, 2006, 16:50 Evil Timmy

It's sad to hear about Steve Irwin's death, as he did a huge amount to bring conservation and wildlife issues into the public eye, probably more so than anyone in our generation. That said, I couldn't help but chuckle a bit when I read his one and only personal quote from IMDB:

"If something ever happens to me, people are gonna be like 'we knew a croc would get him!'"

RIP Steve Irwin. You'll be missed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Need for Speed: Carbon Announced
11. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2006, 23:01 Evil Timmy

Umm, what catch-up feature? One of the things I liked about Most Wanted was that they removed the often ridiculous rubberbanding in the Underground games. When I drive well I'll often finish a quarter mile ahead of other racers, and leads can be established and lost. If anything, they've made it a bit easier, because if your opponent wipes out, they're stuck well behind you and can't respot like you, meaning a crash is more devastating. MW was a step in the right direction, IMO, as the police chases managed to take an old favorite feature, improve it, and integrate it into the entirety of the game, not just slap it on as a new feature. While this new 'canyon' thing sounds a bit gimmicky, if they do as good a job with it as they did the pursuits in MW, while getting a newer, better, wider selection of cars and parts (Veyron as the top car, please? ), I'll be happy.

News Comments > The Ship to Steam Soon
2. Re: No subject Jun 7, 2006, 22:46 Evil Timmy

This is one of those mods that could either fail horribly or succeed spectacularly, and I'm guessing a whole lot has to do with the players (I never played the original). Sadly, I know it'll never catch on in Hong Kong, so if I do play it'll have to be in the States.

News Comments > Snow Crash
15. Re: Snow Crash Jun 7, 2006, 01:08 Evil Timmy

First of all, Blue, kudos on the headline. Second, yes, the Baroque Cycle is excellent...one thing to be aware of, though, is Stephenson's tendency to take long asides to explain this or that about the world, or a character, or a place. If you consider the book to be a walk through a park, stopping frequently to smell roses, skip rocks, and so on, you'll enjoy it more. All the details are what makes his world so amazingly rich and vibrant. If you're expecting fast-paced action-movie plots that barrel along, you'll find yourself frustrated and disappointed. Your mindset and expectations coming into the books is important to your enjoyment.

Snow Crash is still my favorite

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2: Episode One
44. Re: ... Jun 1, 2006, 22:33 Evil Timmy

Took almost exactly four hours for me to finish...while it is a bit short overall, the fact that it's so densely filled with scripted sequences, dialogue, gorgeous maps, puzzles, and good combat makes it worthwhile. Most of the game feels like the 'fun bits'...the payoffs which in other games you get after half an hour of slogging through monotonous corridors shooting the same enemies over and over again come almost constantly and are integrated into the overall gameplay and keep things rewarding. In the GameInformer preview, they talk about the focus of Ep1 as being 'single-player co-op', and they really pulled it off well. Alyx is actually useful as an ally, the acting (voice and animation) are exceptionally well done, and her constant presence is well-executed as a way to give you regular feedback. I've spent $18 far, far worse than this.

News Comments > Gold - Half-Life 2: Episode One
140. Re: ... Jun 1, 2006, 18:12 Evil Timmy

Just finished it...glad Ep1 didn't pull an Episode One. While I finished it pretty quickly (4 hours), the game's so dense and consistently rewarding it felt like more, and it'll definitely be worth replaying. My $18 wasn't poorly spent.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
20. Re: No subject May 25, 2006, 19:26 Evil Timmy

American drinks at the lounge I DJ at in Hong Kong (he moved to one of the smaller islands in February and plans to stay for another few months), and it's been interesting talking to him about Bad Day LA. He's a really smart guy and has definitely got a distinct vision about the game, and it sounds like if he continues to get his way, it'll be a fantastic game. The issues he deals with are done in a really cool way; they're really choices in the game, not just sloppily inserting a moral to make the devs appear relatively human. Very much looking forward to seeing this game in a more complete state, as it's got a huge amount of potential.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
1. Rise of Legends Mar 16, 2006, 00:11 Evil Timmy

Rise of Nations is still the best RTS ever, from my perspective, so I'm looking forward to Rise of Legends more and more with each update. The real deciding factor will be the multiplayer balance, which was a bit rocky with the inital RoN release. Americans and Bantu had a distinct advantage and were easy to win with, and until they rebalanced the game with later patches, it took a fairly skilled player to beat the massive resource-producing infantry-fuelled Americans. Hopefully they'll have it pretty well nailed down by release.

News Comments > NFS: Most Wanted Support Crashes
4. Re: No subject Mar 16, 2006, 00:00 Evil Timmy

I picked up an X2 3800+ along with a bunch of other upgrades over Christmas and had the same problem myself. The easiest solution is to make a shortcut with CureROM. You don't need to set anything with disc images or hiding mounting apps, but there is an option to set the app to only use a single core, which I find useful for the games that aren't dual-core friendly. There's also instructions on permanently setting any exe to only use a single core here: http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php (thanks to TweakGuides for the link). That said, as all the high-end CPUs and next-gen consoles are running some sort of multi-core setup (afaik) games should increasingly start supporting it, or will at least play nicely with it. It'll be interesting to see the performance gain granted by games designed for multi-core setups, like the very-soon-upcoming Oblivion.

News Comments > X3 Patches
84. Re: No subject Mar 15, 2006, 20:27 Evil Timmy

First of all, 'casual copying' is, in my opinion, largely a myth. It's not some 12 year old thinking "ooh, I want my friend Jimmy to be able to play this too, I'll just copy it!" If Jimmy wants to play it, I'll let him borrow it after I'm finished. Oh dear sweet Jesus, that's a lost sale, I'm as bad as the pirates. Wait, no, I'm fully within my rights to do so (EULAs have never held up in court and probably never will). Even then, virtually everyone I've talked to has usually had a friend, coworker, or someone they knew who already had a cracked copy or fixed clone, and would sell or give it to you. So, in the two most common situations, copy protection is irrelevant.

Next, it's undeniable from the sheer volume of reports that StarForce does have some issues, and the scope of its control over your system is unknown. What really needs to happen is that StarForce needs to be as open as possible without compromising all their work. Let us know what hardware and other software may have issues with SF, so we can choose to avoid those games, or choose to play them anyways. Give developers as much access as possible, so any serious issues can be identified and fixed by the devs as quickly as possible, and definitely before the game's release. Developers, realize that without this, you'll always be scaring away part of your target audience, who have had problems with it in the past or are afraid they might.

And, finally, gamers. Quit bitching. We know StarForce sucks, and that it ran over your dog, stabbed your wife, impregnated your daughter, and said some very uncalled-for things about your pet ferret. Let the developers and StarForce know exactly what your problems are in as much detail as possible, and that these issues are scaring you away from the dev and anything associated with StarForce, and that you'll be ready to mention these issues to anyone who brings up either. Make StarForce realize that unless they clean up what they're doing, they'll be a pox on any game they 'protect', but you also need to realize that they're within their rights to do what they're doing. Tied to that, let the devs know that SF does cause issues, and it's become a dirty work among gamers. The devs are the ones that make the decisions and actually effect the bottom line of the people at SF, and they're the ones ideally suited to exert pressure on them to improve their product. Endless whining in forums doesn't help anyone, it just makes us gamers sound like we'd rather complain in forums about games than actually play them.

25. No subject Mar 5, 2006, 16:58 Evil Timmy

The snowmobile stunt is from an episode of Top Gear. If you're not familiar with it, it's the best car show around and one of the funniest things on television. It's also (AFAIK) the very first time that particular stunt has been done, ever, and it's performed by their anonymous official driver, The Stig. It's shown on BBC World and Prime, so try and catch it if you get either channel on satellite or cable.

News Comments > Urban Chaos: Riot Response & Tomb Raider Plans
5. Re: Hope it's a sequel to the first. Jan 24, 2006, 02:40 Evil Timmy

Wow...I haven't had Urban Chaos cross my mind for a very long time. I picked it up off a friend a few weeks after release, as he didn't like it all that much and had no desire to replay it. I always thought it was a lot of fun, as it's pretty unique as far as most PC games go (and I'm a PC gamer). Seeing a sequel should be interesting. With modern technology and design aesthetics, it should be interesting to see where they go with it.

30. Seahawks! Jan 23, 2006, 14:53 Evil Timmy

It's about time. I grew up in and around Seattle, and it's been a long time since any of Seattle's pro teams have even made it to the finals, much less won them. Sucks that because I'm now in Hong Kong, I'll have to watch it at 10am. That said, a few pints before I go to lunch might not be all bad...

News Comments > Star Wars: Empire at War Demo
58. Re: WOW Jan 22, 2006, 07:44 Evil Timmy

Flo: If you haven't figured it out yet, here's the strategy that worked well for me. First, I made sure I had a heavy factory so I could build artillery, which is pretty much essential. With two artillery pieces deployed together near the initial reinforcement point (with a few tanks and soldiers for cover), I brought in as many other troops as I could, and took over the other two. I dropped another squad of artillery at the left point, where the bulk of my force was, and went around the north side.

With enough troops, the single light turret was easily defeated, and I could bring the artillery inside the shield. Once planted, I just kept my forces close and slowly steamrolled the base. Move the troops forward a bit, pack and then redeploy the artillery close enough to hit the next round of targets, and repeat as necessary. Once the shield is down, use your bombing runs and the artillery still at your start point to crush the rest of their base.

News Comments > Stargate SG-1 Cancelled?
55. Re: No subject Jan 22, 2006, 07:29 Evil Timmy

So, how is the new Galactica a half-arsed remake? With great acting from a very well-put-together cast, to a constant developing storyline, to some of the best visual effects on TV...and you're going to compare that with a ridiculously annoying robot dog? If you've come in halfway through the series, you've missed a lot simply because of the format of the show; otherwise, I'd love to hear a solid reason for your dislike.

Red Dwarf was amusing while it was on (and is still great today), but the scifi aspects were light and really an excuse for absurdity. Not to say that I didn't like the series, but scifi was an explanation, not an exploration as it should be. Dr. Who, while occasionally brilliant, is largely mired in sheer mediocrity and fully encapsulated episodes which have no effect on the whole. The acting has, over the decades, been hammy and over-the-top, and occasional cleverness can't cover for the frequent weak dialogue and shaky plots.

I don't mean to make this a personal attack, merely an observation based on personal experience, but you seem like someone who was raised by, or is, a middle-aged British man who longs for the 'old days' of scifi so much that you're blinding yourself to what's actually available these days. Shockingly enough, over the span of the last 15 years, there have been a few good things to come out of some of the world's most creative writing minds.

News Comments > The Postal Man Returneth
22. Re: makes us look like dorks Dec 13, 2005, 07:29 Evil Timmy

Honestly, Postal 2 was rather weak. From the awkward weapons (visually and aurally), horrific load times, lobotomized AI, strange lack of damage areas (headshots have only been around for how long?), weak mishmash of a storyline, many many misfiring jokes...it felt like an FPS from 8-10 years in the past quickly ported to a modern engine. Considering that in the same year we also had SoF2, Elite Force 2, Wolf ET, Tron 2.0, Raven Shield, Call of Duty, and Vice City/Halo's PC ports all for competition in the shooter genre, the lack of many standard features for the time, and anything unique to distinguish it, gave the game a really dated feel.

If the people at Running With Scissors would take an honest look around at the state of the gaming industry and what advancements have been made and are willing to at least take inspiration from them, I think they'd have a much more playable game. The offensive aspects are all that will be brought up by anti-gamer types, but gamers will by and large ignore it if the gameplay isn't up to par and the visuals are at least decent (hint: good art direction can cover for many technical and budget shortcomings)
This comment was edited on Dec 13, 07:31.

News Comments > X3: Reunion Ships, Patched
12. Day-one patches Oct 28, 2005, 06:14 Evil Timmy

I remember back in the day, when we first started seeing day-one patches, that a lot of the hardcore gaming community was up in arms about the policy. "It'll be the end of the world," screamed the gamers, "we'll have to download 20MB patches just to be able to play our games. We must fight this, or every publisher will start doing it, and it'll be the bane of our existence."

Well, look where the industry stands today. As Elf mentioned, it seems that Quake IV is the only major release recently to not have required a day-one patch. You'd think that the publisher and developer could have worked something out, so that any serious known issues (which this patch seems to correct many of) would be fixed before they went to duplication. An unfortunate side effect of this is that games that don't sell well may never have some necessary patches released, which could have saved the game and fixed the issues that scared people away from it, and in turn brought in the financial outcome the game deserved. Home of the Underdogs, the abandonware site, has a whole section of 'Post-Patch Classics', dozens of games that were improved greatly by a patch. With the modern ethos, these games may have never gotten their major issues resolved and would be forgotten because the issues outweighed the good points. Bah, I say! Fix your games before you put them in a box, or I'll keep waiting for the prices to drop and the game to actually be finished, a few patches in.

33. Re: Staying Alive & 9 years... Oct 9, 2005, 16:32 Evil Timmy

Wow, truly amazing. Nine years, and a few more for the original, meaning that in some incarnation or other, Blue's has been around for over half my life (I remember seeing it the day after I unwrapped and made an all-night marathon session of Quake, looking for any info I could get my hands on). There's few sites that have had that level of staying power, and fewer still that I can honestly say have steadily improved over the years, even as I got older. From a misspent youth to a slightly-better-spent early adulthood, thanks for keeping me informed and entertained, Blue.

News Comments > AoE3 Demo Plans
23. I want RoN Sep 5, 2005, 02:46 Evil Timmy

It looks like it's the same engine, and I much preferred the things RoN added to and improved in the RTS genre. Borders in particular were nice, because there's no worries about the ridiculous single-unit harassment strategy, and it meant that you could win a battle by taking out their supply wagons and letting the troops fall apart on their own. Plus, the variety of troops available and the option of uneven development for a strategic purpose, and dozens of other smaller things. Made for some absolutely spectacular fights, and it's just generally a lot more fun, at whatever level you're playing at. I haven't been watching AoE3 all that closely, so I don't know if they've taken any cues from RoN, but I certainly hope they've learned a few things.

News Comments > JoWooD's Pulse
18. Re: No subject Sep 1, 2005, 13:04 Evil Timmy

...wanted the source...

That's standard practice in the gaming industry; the publisher is the one who owns their work at all points. If they're terminating a contract, they'll take the existing work and give that to another developer so they can actually make use of the license (which is generally given with an expiration date, so it's use it or lose it).

...and all the money back

That seems to contradict the story, which says 'JoWooD has already paid the undisputable amount of EUR 5.5 Mio'. That's not pocket change; in fact, that's not much below what you'd expect as a budget for an A-level title in the States, which is probably undoubtedly where this was headed. TV licenses and AAA games just don't seem to go together, but nor was this a straight-to-bargain-bin game.

So, if I'm wrong about this, please correct me (ie link me) and let me know why I shouldn't like or trust Jowood, as they still seem like a perfectly fine publisher.

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo