Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 425 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Demo
121. Cutscene? Aug 21, 2007, 10:16 Evil Timmy

Heh, here's the trifecta. A few friends were over and we were all watching as it was first played through. We made it to the surface and sat there for ~10 seconds before I said 'Move...' questioningly, and...well, it turned out it wasn't a video. Got some dropped jaws and 'Oh sweet' from the group. Six hours 'till Steam unlocks this beast. Can't wait.

I'd strongly encourage everyone to actually get a chance to play this, not just the demo. It's obviously a very tiny slice of the actual game and features. You don't properly encounter little sisters/big daddies, who are a big part of the game, obviously; not to mention physics (beyond materials) haven't come in at all, no new ammo types, no good way to spend money, all of two enemies, two guns, and two plasmids, and the antagonist only makes a brief cameo (if you could even call it that) right at the end. For a game that's so much about freedom of choice and exploration, they gave a pretty straightforward and limited slice of the whole pie.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Depths of Peril Demo
5. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2007, 18:57 Evil Timmy

Actually not bad...graphics are godawful, decade-old 3d even with everything maxed, and limited to 1280x___ res, but the rest of the game is actually decent. Combat can be a bit dull, but if that's your focus, you're missing out on all the new ideas they've implemented, the most obvious being factions and lifestones. Factions are the clans in town, and you'll run into them constantly, whether jockeying for position, trading for alliances or various resources, looking for travel companions, or plotting another faction's downfall. Lifestones are pretty vital to your, well, life, as they're respawn points for you which can be attacked by rivals.

As the PR says, it's under 70MB, so if you're looking for some light RPG action that'll assuredly be <$20 when it comes out, it's worth a shot.

News Comments > BioShock Preorders Steaming Up
53. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2007, 17:37 Evil Timmy

I was already set to drop my dime on this, but the 360 demo confirmed it. Deus Ex is the last game to give me that sort of fun, mixed with excitement, terror, and (largely) anticipation. My PC's up to it so I've bought/pre'd on Steam, which I've had no issues with (other than HL2 preload caches, but I was a HLFallout forum mod at the time and was actually part of the solution), and which'll get me the game a week quicker than stores here. Won't be surprised if my friends pick it up on 360 as well...none of them had played SS much if at all, but loved the environments, tone, and gameplay of the whole thing.

/almost glad for the short demo, it means I've got more to discover

News Comments > Red Stone Beta
1. No subject Aug 9, 2007, 13:27 Evil Timmy

Looks like Diablo, with promo art from any generic anime RPG, and plays like Excel: The Action-Adventure-MMORPG. Coming soon, a store where you can buy items that're actually useful (aka a revenue stream).

Pass/Fail? It fails, I'll pass.

News Comments > C&C3 - The Revolution WILL be Televised
7. Re: No subject Aug 8, 2007, 01:15 Evil Timmy

Comrades, the revolution is here! Quickly, get your guns and torches, it's time for those bastards to pay for all th- huh?

Oh?

Okay, never mind, false alarm people, it's only a bullet point on patch release notes.

News Comments > Codemasters and GameTap
9. Re: It continues Aug 1, 2007, 23:59 Evil Timmy

Now if only GameTap was available outside the US o' A. For the price of Overlord I could have had it, and a huge back catalog, for five months, and I'm sure I could find plenty else to justify keeping up the subscription in that time.

Oh well though. Come September, the dam starts to break on the glut of releases for both 360 and PC which will all be fighting for my limited free time, all I need is 400 more games to tempt me.

News Comments > Overlord Movie
4. Re: No subject Jun 22, 2007, 22:36 Evil Timmy

Direct link for the Windows Media HD version (34MB):
ftp://downloads.codemasters.com/video/overlord_lifeforce_uk_wmv.zip

News Comments > F.E.A.R. S.E.Q.U.E.L. P.L.A.N.S.
50. Re: S.H.O.G.O 2 Jun 6, 2007, 05:07 Evil Timmy

I submitted 'Daikatana 2'. Who's with me?!

*runs off alone to the slaughter*

News Comments > Fallout 3 Teaser Movie
13. Vault Boy Rides Again! Jun 5, 2007, 20:20 Evil Timmy

I'm actually sorta encouraged by the 'Fall 2008' release date. That means they'll have had nearly two years working full steam with all of BethSoft's resources (and more with a smaller team before that. It'll all be running on an engine that's already had over a year of public release to get bugs worked out. If they can't pull out something that puts Oblivion to shame given the depth and variety present in the Fallouts and all the time they've had to work on it...I can only hope their offices, with all hands, end up in another dimension. With evil bees.

I'll believe this lives up to the series the moment I see the credits roll after blowing up the final boss. It won't, in many ways, but if it can keep me engaged and entertained not only the first time through but the sixth, like Fallout/2, I'm sold. Fallout 2 still holds my record for longest single gaming session (84 hours, set long, long ago), and if they top that, I'll tattoo their name on myself.

And, should worse really come to worse, we've always got the community to balm our collective wounds with their tweaks, mods, and TCs.

News Comments > More S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s Loom
2. Re: No subject May 16, 2007, 13:12 Evil Timmy

After ending up with not one, not two, but (somehow) 3 screwed-up saves, one with the game almost finished, I'll steer clear of anything these guys put out until at least the second patch. However, the fact that I was willing to endure the craptastic first bit three times shows how much I liked it. I just like it better when it doesn't repeatedly trash hours of work. Also...how can it be that hard to balance a shooter/psuedo-RPG with no stats? The money-sink armor they added in the patch screams MMO grind, not tight SP fun.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Teaser Tease
2. No subject May 2, 2007, 12:33 Evil Timmy

I'm looking forward to this more than just about any game, on any platform, and it's definitely palpably closer. If nothing else, we'll have a ridiculously moddable game set in the Fallout 'verse with Fallout assets to play with and a ravenous community of fans working on it. I'll leave the discussion on how BethSoft is going to behead and then defecate down the neck of the Vault Boy to everyone else who 'knows' better.

News Comments > Supreme Commander Preorders
38. Revisited Feb 15, 2007, 08:07 Evil Timmy

So, I broke down and did something I haven't done in a while (shut up, I showered yesterday): read the manual. There are two halves to this manual. The first half uselessly describes the same tiresome RTS mechanics that everyone knows (Move makes your units move! WOW! And Stop makes them stop! ASTOUNDING!) The second, equally useless half of the manual lists off _EVERY_ unit for each side with a generic, obvious description for each. Delicately sandwiched between these two halves is a single paragraph about formations (which, while concise and neat, suffers from being utterly wrong). So, after trying to divine what some technical writer meant, I've figured out how to work formations, which, surprisingly, are in the game, if they're a bit retarded. Here's how.

Select a group. Hold right-click on your destination until you see translucent copies of your units there. Keep holding and left-click until you get to the formation you want. Ctrl+right-click to get them to move in formation again. Note that I'm not sure exactly how the latter works (what happens when units die, what about other groups, which formation will it pick, etc) but that they do move in some sort of a group, rather than dead on individually to the destination.

So, my biggest gripe has been very roughly covered (for this game), but why is it so rare overall? I think my comments about the state of RTSes in general still hold up. Did any evolution in the genre stall with pantywaist RPG-lite character development? Or is there hope I'll really get to play something new before I'm sitting amidst a holographic 3d tank controlling near-human AI players by my voice and hearing them talk back, 40 years from now?

News Comments > Supreme Commander Preorders
26. Learning from past mistakes? Feb 14, 2007, 11:19 Evil Timmy

This game commits one unforgivable sin in the post-RoN world, and that's not having selected units move together when assigned to. The retardedness of this is apparent even in the very first mission for the UEF. You're tasked with taking out an enemy airbase, but you need AA units as well as your tanks. Right-click and watch as these new units quickly outpace your tanks and head out alone to face the enemy defenses, and get slaughtered, leaving your tanks adequate against their base but useless against their aircraft. (This in a game with radar and stealth playing a good part of the strategy, ie keeping troops together is essential)

The same happens in most every conflict: a wave of over-fast units precedes you, giving away your position, destroying the balance of mixed arms in your force, and just generally making things more annoying than they have to be. Rise of Nations had mousewheel control of the depth/width of your advancing formation, instantly and intuitively, plus the direction they should be facing, and constant protection for artillery (including an artillery attack), supply, and other vulnerable units. There's that, and half a dozen other things that RoN does that have become hard to live without, especially since they're simple, easy to grasp, and save immense amounts of headache and frustration. It came out in May, almost four years ago.

So why is it that now, I still have to micromanage my units because they're so retarded they'll happily walk into an enemy base without any effective weapons (I'm looking at you, mobile AA) while the bulk of the force is at least 30 seconds behind? Is it really going too far for my units to have some semblance of intelligence? Or have we not advanced beyond the days of Total Annihilation? I can't help but feel that, barring a very few exceptions, I'm just playing a genre that's entirely composed of the same game, reskinned, but never improved, because the same small issues with simple solutions, little problems that become big annoyances, that shit that was frustrating me 10 or even 15 years ago...is still frustrating me now.
This comment was edited on Feb 14, 11:22.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007
7. Re: What the... Feb 7, 2007, 18:54 Evil Timmy

Been playing this for a few weeks now (on 360; thanks importers), and while I've never been a big fan of sports games period, this game has been quite a lot of fun, both solo and, of course, against friends. The controls are fluid and easy to learn, and while a simple pickup game has a lot of enjoyment to it, there's also a ridiculous amount of depth and control that you can get into. Player substitutions and formations are the most game-changing aspects, and learning to make good choices there will affect how the rest of the game plays out. If you're a fan of the series or the genre, this game's definitely worth it, but if you're at all curious, it's at the very least worth a rental and a few hours of your time.

News Comments > Crysis and Older PCs
39. Re: No subject Feb 7, 2007, 18:43 Evil Timmy

Far Cry's most brilliant moment, the one that truly realized the potential of the game, was the level Rebellion. There were three distinct paths through the map, a few more secret ones, and many sub-variations on each. The open areas where pitched battles went on were awesome, and gave huge amounts of tactical freedom. The map itself was beautiful and varied, and much of that design is what lent itself to the myriad ways to play through the map and experiences to be had. Along with Half-Life (up until Xen), System Shock 2, and Deus Ex, it's on the shortlist of FPSes I happily and repeatedly replay.

As for that bit in Far Cry with the trigens and getting dumped with no ammo...ehh...it _was_ easy. All you had to do was walk along the river, ducking most of the way, and you'd make it to a downed helicopter with a chaingun turret and more supplies. If you wanted to take your time and plan out an attack with your limited ammo, it was doable with a bit of trial and error (that's what quickload is for), you just had to find one of a few nearby stashes of weapons quickly. They were trying to move away from the masses of firepower you could dish out and force somewhat different strategy for at least some of the game, and although it may have been questionable, it wasn't abysmal, just required you to adapt to changing circumstances for a bit.

News Comments > Ritual Ends SiNning Ways?
62. Episodes still coming Jan 26, 2007, 07:24 Evil Timmy

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3156717

We'll see how it pans out, but they're still planning on continuing the series. Maybe another dev that'll use mobile to fund their other, more expensive projects (John Carmack).

News Comments > Left 4 Dead Announced
39. Re: Co-op Nov 22, 2006, 16:56 Evil Timmy

I'd define co-op as humans vs an AI that couldn't be easily replaced by humans. This is because of a simple fact of gaming: nobody wants to play the weak opponent that gets mowed down in droves by the 'heroes', but everyone wants to mow down enemy hordes with friends. The BF series are Team games, not co-op, as are a few other examples that have been mentioned.

The lack of co-op games on PC isn't terribly surprising; the PC has always been a single-user experience, with few mechanisms to support multiple simultaneous users. Its strong networking and general growth pattern has tended to move the multiplayer experience to multiple locations connected through a server rather than a single big screen.

With each more appropriate, from a technical and practical sense, to their respective form of play, it's no wonder things evolved like they did. I'd love to see more co-op experiences for PC gamers, but there's a reason I've got a 360 as well.
This comment was edited on Nov 22, 16:57.

News Comments > Atriarch Status Report
6. Re: No subject Nov 14, 2006, 14:28 Evil Timmy

Ehh, isn't this the second or third time this has happened (news quiets down, then no news, then "We're sorry, but it's all okay, really!" months later)? I really don't know how they expect to keep up any semblance of a fanbase with such a ridiculously long dev time, nor how such a schedule even works. Their underlying tech was developed when Win98 SE was Microsoft's new OS (running DirectX 6), and by the time this game releases I'd expect to see Vista on SP1.

The concept behind the game sounds great, there's immense promise there...but at this point, I sincerely doubt that the WorldFusion team really has what it takes to execute their ideas successfully. And after eight years, with no end in sight, the situation at their offices can't be great. By that point, you've heard all the stories, all the jokes, all the anecdotes, discussed every aspect of life, it's just...stale. And, unfortunately for both the people who've spent so many man-hours working on it and the fans who've spent the whole time hoping the sweet nothings whispered in their ear by press releases and interviews are true, so are the games that emerge from such studios.

Oh well.

News Comments > NVIDIA G80 Launch
11. Re: wow.. Nov 9, 2006, 06:27 Evil Timmy

As always, the [H] review is excellent, and they really show you what sort of experience you'll have, rather than just giving you numbers. Oblivion, with everything maxed, at 2560x1600, just barely dips under 30FPS even with 2xAA/16xAF on. It's hard to pull that off with a pair of 7950GTXs, so to see that ridiculously much power (speaking of which, TWO power connectors?) in a single card is amazing. And we're going to see triple 16x PCIe slots in nVidia's new mobo lineup (they're saying dual cards + dedicated card for physics, but we'll see). Essentially, if you're buying a new system now, buy one of these cards. The $450 GTS version looks like it's nearly overclockable to GTX speeds even from the start, and I'm sure we'll see bigger and bigger leaps after more third parties put out their cards, but as the [H] said, the 8800 is looking to be this generation's 9700 Pro.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Too soon for irony? Sep 4, 2006, 16:50 Evil Timmy

It's sad to hear about Steve Irwin's death, as he did a huge amount to bring conservation and wildlife issues into the public eye, probably more so than anyone in our generation. That said, I couldn't help but chuckle a bit when I read his one and only personal quote from IMDB:

"If something ever happens to me, people are gonna be like 'we knew a croc would get him!'"

RIP Steve Irwin. You'll be missed.

425 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo