Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 427 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: SP3 Apr 27, 2008, 08:37 Evil Timmy

If you really think you'll miss that (and I can confirm it's missing in SP3 RTM), try the new Windows Desktop Search ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 ). It lets you type in an address in a similar way (and will open in Firefox or your default browser), and is a vast improvement over the default search.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TF2 Update Next Week, No Portal 2 this Year
33. Re: Stalker Apr 27, 2008, 08:26 Evil Timmy

Let's play Six Degrees of Portal!

Portal is in Steam news this week. Steam is the exclusive DD service for Stalker Clear Sky. S:CS is a post-apocalyptic game. The post-apoc setting is the heart and soul of Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is developed by Bethesda. A BethSoft developer made one of my favorite (brutal) addon maps for Portal: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2007/11/01/developing-in-our-spare-time-too/

As Jerykk and NW said, there's loads of community-created Portal maps out there, and you can usually find something that suits the type of play you like (strategic, fast-reflex, or mind-bending puzzler). With as much as there is available, I'm glad they're not rushing to push out another Portal. Hey, maybe next year we'll get Ep3/Portal2/Hello Kitty Island Adventure 2: The Reckoning in the Burnt Sienna Box.

News Comments > Gothic 4 Subtitle, Details
11. Re: No subject Apr 26, 2008, 18:13 Evil Timmy

Spellbound's last two games, Desperados 2 and Chicago 1930, scored a 65% and 34% respectively (I couldn't find any reviews for Helldorado). Coupled with JoWood's consistent policy of shipping games when they're good and done and polished (hah!), I'm not full of hope regarding Gothic 4. Gothic 3, while bug-ridden and pushed out too early, was still an enjoyable game, and with the community patches it's reached a reasonable level of stability. It's also the only RPG I've played that actually made an archer class enjoyable, and the world they created was detailed, varied, and full of surprises (including occasionally falling through it). It's also rare to find a game where the faction you choose affects the game so much, and there's such a high level of replayability. Blame Piranha Bytes for overreaching, sure, but at least they were willing to try new things, outside of the Diablo/D&D realm.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: No subject Mar 23, 2008, 00:23 Evil Timmy

First of all, if you didn't read the little blurb at the bottom, and have been around gaming sites as long as most people here, you'll remember the author, shaithis from GameSpy, and that should explain a fair bit. Second, I'll preface this by saying that I actually count some of the same games my favorites (top: FO1/2 > Deus Ex > SS2 > BioShock, probably Mass Effect when I get a full playthrough).

I enjoyed Morrowind more than Oblivion, mostly because the former felt like exploring, and the latter grinding. But both games were an entirely different and better animal after the mod community had their way with 'em. And this is my hope for Fallout 3. The devs have already said 'We're going to scale back the size and bump up the detail', which I'm taking to mean fewer but more diverse encounters. Right off the bat, this means mod makers will have more to work with and more inspiration, as well as a detailed central world to extend out from, rather than 100 tombs with three layouts. What I've seen so far of the gameplay reminds me more of Mass Effect than Oblivion, with the addition of targeted shots aka VATS. Graphically I have no qualms, as the game looks great, although I do hope modders don't have to fix a broken, ugly console GUI.

My biggest concern, because it was such a big deal in the Fallouts and nonexistent in Oblivion (and, stupidly/scarily, most other RPGs), was the effect of your choices. In dialogue or by your actions, you could shape what happened to you, NPCs, or even entire towns, adding a sense that you were actually changing and shaping the story and world around you. This adds so much immersion and also serves to make the game more replayable. And I'm not just talking about alternate solutions to quests, ie your standard goodie-two-shoes vs total dickweed options, but a real choice that has merit on both sides, both for you as a player and your character, and lasting tangible effects.

In fact, I think it's one of the biggest problems (or biggest opportunities) in the gaming world today. You're given an amazing world to play in, weapons, items, technology/magic, a broad cast of characters...but at the end of the day, you're on a ride at Disneyland. You can't change anything, and freedom is just as much an illusion. You may be able to sit at the front or back of the ride, but it'll always play out the same way. Sandbox games are a step in the right direction, but also miss the point. If you talk to someone who's played the same game, the unique retelling of what happened is generally limited to feats pulled off in combat, not "I fought a tough battle, but managed to save the village, and they led me to a secret cache of supplies, as well as sending scouts to help me evade enemy patrols, or fight them if necessary" vs "I left the village to be slaughtered and wiped out the haggard and poorly supplied patrols after, picking up helpful information about my primary mission, as well as plenty of loot that happened to be lying around on all these fresh corpses..." That's real choice that affects the game world, your personal story in it, and how your next actions play out.

/also, inspired by my tendency to be rather verbose, is there any chance we could increase the size of the text box for posting? It takes up maybe 5% of my screen, and it'd be helpful to see more of my post, for formatting and to keep me from blathering on all day. Thanks.
This comment was edited on Mar 23, 00:26.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights 2 Patch
9. Re: Not BioWare's Mar 22, 2008, 23:40 Evil Timmy

Hahaha, I remember crapping myself with laughter the first time I ran into the familiar bug. An 8" tall ferret (almost said _my_ 8" tall ferret) was gallivanting through town carrying a glowing dwarven waraxe and beating the crap out of whoever he came across. Squeak softly and carry a big stick, I guess.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Patch
16. Re: ugh Mar 17, 2008, 20:52 Evil Timmy

straylight, was this the infamous crash when using the boat after the whole Society of Leopold monastery/cave thing? It was mostly fixed in the official 1.2 patch and totally fixed shortly after in a fanmade patch, but it was very common in the release version. Loved the game, played it through twice (release and on one of the earliest fan patches), and it'll probably get another run-through assuming I finish Deus Ex/IW before GTA IV comes out.

The fan patches have steadily improved the overall gameplay experience, making it far more balanced and enhancing/unlocking the existing content. Guns (which were as useful as a sock puppet with "scary teeth" sewed on in the original) actually became useful as primary or complementary weapons, and many bits of dialogue and story branches were unlocked and cleaned up. If you found yourself mildly disappointed by the promise of the original, or are looking for an excuse to replay it, go do so, as you'll have a fun and unique time.

News Comments > Requiem Bloodymare Beta
4. Re: No subject Mar 2, 2008, 19:31 Evil Timmy

On a semi-related note, has anyone been keeping up with CBC series jPod (check your local torrent for listings)? The main character is a gore artist, working in EA-alike Neotronic Arts in Vancouver. It started off interesting and has turned out to be both excellent and funny, and it's close to my favorite currently airing series. The cast has really come together in the latest two or three episodes, making the jokes that much funnier and buoying the somewhat outlandish but always unique storylines of each episode, and the overall arc is engaging and entertaining. If you haven't seen it, it's worth DVRing or acquiring by other means, especially being the only gamer-centric series out there.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: No subject Mar 2, 2008, 19:02 Evil Timmy

Sorry for distracting you from your normally scheduled Ancient Greek programming, but this is goddamned ridiculous. Has the US really become this weakened through Bushite politics and gutting of the Armed Services?

In a ceremony that received virtually no attention in the American media, the United States and Canada signed a military agreement Feb. 14 allowing the armed forces from one nation to support the armed forces of the other nation during a domestic civil emergency, even one that does not involve a cross-border crisis.

The agreement, defined as a Civil Assistance Plan, was not submitted to Congress for approval, nor did Congress pass any law or treaty specifically authorizing this military agreement to combine the operations of the armed forces of the United States and Canada in the event of a wide range of domestic civil disturbances ranging from violent storms, to health epidemics, to civil riots or terrorist attacks.
Read more: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=57228

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 19:03.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: No subject Feb 25, 2008, 05:24 Evil Timmy

I'm just about done playing Deus Ex (for the fourth or fifth time), and it's still great. This is my first playthrough with Shifter ( http://yukichigai.googlepages.com/shifter ) however, and it's certainly improved the overall experience. Combine that with Project HDTP (improves textures; http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/ ) and an updated renderer ( http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ ) and you've got a significantly tweaked and generally more enjoyable and better-looking game. IW is next, after my unrelenting addiction to SoaSE (verbed as Sinning, among my gamer friends) allows me a moment's peace.

News Comments > The Club Demo
19. Re: It's OK. Feb 11, 2008, 05:09 Evil Timmy

"Use bullet time". Doh. I think I used that three times during the whole game.

{ font: Impact; size: 18px; }
EPIC FAIL
*submit to http://failblog.wordpress.com/ *

Really, the whole point of the game was the slow-motion thing, especially the 'dive from behind cover and shoot three people in the head before landing' move. It's what set the Max Payne games apart and is yet to be pulled off as well (IMO). It was in every review, it was all the buzz about the game, hell, I think it was even a bullet point on the box. What did you think that hourglass was for, to turn over once an hour to remind you to do your homework? There were even some forced slomo bits throughout to make it painfully obvious.

...so, rubbed that in enough?

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire Patch
31. Re: No subject Feb 10, 2008, 11:21 Evil Timmy

Honestly, I grabbed the game off my favorite BitTorrent site, then sunk 6+ hours into a single (largely exploratory) 1v1 game, looked at the clock with surprise, and promptly went and bought it. (Btw, the scene will usually release cracked patches, but rarely near the initial release, and it's less likely for smaller games). Just slightly edges out World in Conflict and Company of Heroes, and I'd have to go back to Rise of Legends to top the fun factor (in short, 5/5, and if you hate clickspam RTSes, this will balm your wounds). I hate micromanagement (WC3 can lick my taint), love the actual strategy aspect of it, and SoaSE delivers in spades. I really get the feeling that I'm directing the course of an empire, not babysitting units who're theoretically trained and intelligent but seem unable to tie their shoes, much less tactically manage a space battle. The differing courses of tech development have already resulted in unique and interesting games, and I love that just about any focus or combination is viable if played decently well. I just realized that I'm wasting time typing when I could be feeding my new addiction (thanks IronClad!), so back to managing the fate of Galactus Timmacus.

News Comments > Mark Rein - Consoles "Stealing" Hardcore PC Gamers
111. Hi, I'm Evil Timmy, and I'm a convert Feb 1, 2008, 11:16 Evil Timmy

I've been gaming on PCs since I was a wee lad, on a Tandy TRS-80 (the CoCo) before an almost US$3,000 286 with a monochrome monitor, and then an ever-faster stream of x86 PCs. I hand-built my first PC at age six, bought parts on my own from lawn-mowing money and built a proper gaming PC at age 12. Most of my friends had consoles growing up, so I'd go play at their houses, but I was always satisfied with my PC. My current PC was bought a bit over two years ago for around a grand, and the dual-core proc and 7800GT still handle everything I throw at it fine (even Crysis is playable at 1680x1050 on med-low). But, since I've allocated cash for a new projector, the PC will likely need an upgrade as well to run everything at 1920x1200 acceptably. However, I'm buying an Xbox 360 first.

Why? Because I game for fun, and consoles seem to be where much of the fun is. Mass Effect and Burnout Paradise have pushed me over the edge, and there's a solid back library for me to get through. I've also had many great times playing with friends on their 360s, and the fun-on-the-couch factor can't be beat without a lady friend and a copy of The Illustrated Kama Sutra. The multiplayer is also stupidly easy to get in to, especially as PC gamers in SE Asia are rare and finding a populated server is difficult. Copy protection issues and horribly buggy games have dampened my PC gaming enthusiasm as well, and I find myself more and more often delving back into older games for a great experience (halfway through Deus Ex atm) and simply to have something to play. Last fall had a solid lineup of games, but very little that I'd want to replay.

So, while by no means am I abandoning my PC, it looks like 2008 will be the first year that a console is my primary gaming device. With more developers and more games, as well as an increasingly smooth overall experience as compared to PC (thanks Vista, now go sit in the corner), I've finally converted.

But you can have my mouse and keyboard when you pull them from my cold, dead, carpal-tunnel afflicted hands.

News Comments > PC Grand Theft Auto IV in October?
33. Re: No subject Jan 24, 2008, 23:11 Evil Timmy

At least this generation we've got consoles with 512MB of memory vs 64MB (Xbox) or 32MB (PS2, ie the main platform for GTA3/VC/SA). I suspect GTAIV will be pushing both consoles to their limit in terms of memory usage, and since there's that much more headroom, the experience should be a lot closer to what you'd expect out of a PC game. I'm just disappointed that there's very little that can rival GTA's depth and variety of gameplay on PC, which does seem like an ideal platform for it.

I'm really hoping, though, that Spore will get more developers interested in using procedural tech to create their worlds. While it'll be rocky at first, given enough time spent creating systems and tweaking algorithms I think we'll see worlds that have some carefully hand-crafted points of interest surrounded by a rich, changing, diverse backdrop generated by the game, rather than a flat unchanging world where goals are limited to 'kill x of y and I'll give you z'. In the RPG world, at least, this could be a huge boon to indie developers, who don't have the manpower to, say, place every rock and shrub in Oblivion, but who could certainly design a quality main plot and tweak the world-building algorithm to fill in the blank space. As long as everything was considered and built up from a ground level (models, terrain, quests, characters, AI) you could add massive replayability and give everyone a unique experience for just a base investment in time and resources. Each game would further inform your work on the next, and middleware developers who do nothing but make their code generate lush, detailed, intricate worlds would inevitably spring up. Toss in reasonable voice synthesis (only been waiting on that for two decades) and you could rival most of the games out there.

News Comments > Assault Heroes Demo
4. Re: No subject Jan 21, 2008, 20:07 Evil Timmy

Found this amusing, but even between a few friends, we never managed to get past the stupid timed end sequence. Tyrian is still my favorite shmup ever, with at least a decent attempt at story, upgradable ships and weapons, multiple level choices and secret levels, varied enemies, and excellent graphics for the time. It's been made free at http://www.freewebs.com/worldtreegames/ if you haven't played it or if you're nostalgic for the Epic Megagames logo.

News Comments > Codemasters Announcement Coming
8. Re: Yet another subpar MMO? Jan 14, 2008, 23:14 Evil Timmy

While I generally dislike MMOs, I'll save that for another thread (as if I hadn't made it clear enough already), but the glut of MMOs just strikes me as stupid. Because of their time-consuming nature and subscription basis, they tend to be mutually exclusive, so that (nearly) everyone playing one MMO is someone not playing everything else. The initial outlay is similar to a AAA title, but the expenses are perpetual until they close their doors, at which point the game's revenue has tapered off and the whole thing is now ready to be thrown out with the trash.

The mobile market is yet to have its WoW, and I'm surprised more companies aren't working that angle, because while PCs are tied to a desk or at least power/WiFi, everyone's got a mobile phone and they're with us constantly. The development costs would be significantly lower, the market ridiculously huge, billing simpler (with the telco's help), and there's all sorts of real-world/ARG tie-ins that have yet to see significant exploration. Sending a text or playing a Java game on my phone is far more appealing than grinding and hours-long raids, and while I'd love to see tie-ins, I suffer from a healthy social life and a good job. Having access to a world in my pocket rather than tied to a desk just works better.

News Comments > Depths of Peril Patch
3. Re: This is a VERY good game folks Jan 14, 2008, 22:59 Evil Timmy

Despite the fact that I've got so much else to play, I keep finding myself drawn back to this, even to the exclusion of Puzzle Quest. The factions are what really make this game shine, as you can approach them in different ways and the randomness keeps every game interesting and keeps you on your toes (a game with you and one other faction plays very differently from many weaker factions). Games like this make me wish the gaming industry would take one more cue from Hollywood and redevelop indies more or less straight up, but with a much bigger budget and more polish. Add multiplayer, more diverse content, and smooth out the rough edges and you'd have a classic that'd stay on hard drives and in disc trays for years.

News Comments > Requiem: Bloodymare Announced
8. Re: No subject Jan 4, 2008, 06:31 Evil Timmy

Bloodymare? I thought it might have been a Godfather game at first. Also, I'm pretty sure this is the most times I've seen the term 'hardcore' used in a press release since BootyliciousBitches.com announced their IPO.

News Comments > TRIBES-Like Movies
15. Re: Tribes 2 Dec 24, 2007, 00:21 Evil Timmy

carbon netarul vegain lesbin bi-currious

M-M-M-M-MONSTER TYPO-O-o!

Obviously everyone here thinks Tribes was absolutely the pinnacle of the multiplayer FPS (you're not wrong), and although this is just a few short clips, I'd say this definitely looks promising, so let's just keep the Blue's Clan on the back burner for a while. I've spent far, far more time skiing in Tribes than in real life, and a nice refresher like this would be awesome.

News Comments > The Witcher Patch
24. Re: lol Dec 20, 2007, 22:38 Evil Timmy

Maximum PC did a test a few years back showing that hard drive speed had very little effect on game load times, even using your specific configuration (2x74GB Raptors) vs a standard single 7200RPM drive. The bottleneck is almost entirely CPU-related, as most of the work is decompressing various assets into memory. Of course, a dead-slow 5400RPM drive with a small cache will hinder performance, as will slow system memory, but a faster CPU definitively improves performance everywhere, in-game and out.

Also, you'll get the biggest bump from this patch if you're running 2GB+ of RAM. Load times improved on my X2 3800+/1GB/RAID0 setup, but even more so on my Core 2 Duo 2.2/2GB/5400RPM laptop. Seems like they've basically added/fixed asset allocation, for example, entering a house and then backing out to the area map has seen the biggest improvement, along with loading save games in the same map.

I'll get back into this game at some point, but I ran into a random game-stopping bug (Leuvaarden didn't sell me the sephirot, and another quest killed the dialog...checked inventories and the monolith, no love, so I'm stuck). I was getting a bit bored with it anyways, so it'll be collecting dust for a while. This is why I think every RPG needs a console, as it would save me here and has saved me before, in Morrowind and other games.

News Comments > The Cake is a Lie
38. Re: No subject Dec 16, 2007, 20:16 Evil Timmy

MacD, with the way every datacenter works, you've always got the option of temporarily expanding your bandwidth, and generally hardware services as well, whether you're paying per TB transferred or just bumping up general capacity. It doesn't help that everyone's trying to download and authenticate in the same 5-15 minutes (and seeing those stats would be very interesting), but for such a huge event, you'd think they could cough up for extra capacity, even for 24 hours. The first experience people who've pre-paid and pre-loaded should have is clicking New Game and enjoying, not repeatedly authenticating.

Think about it like an RSVP-only birthday party: if you've got 30 people expected to show up, you don't say "Well, since some people will leave early, there'll only be an average of 20 people for the day, so I'll just get 20 chairs." That leaves people standing around, pissed off. No, you borrow chairs from your neighbors, or go buy some more. Valve is famous for their detailed stat tracking and insight into how people interact with their games, so why can't that apply to their service as well?

I was a moderator for the (then) HL2Fallout forums on launch day for HL2, and the whole staff went into crisis mode. Of course, people who were playing weren't on the forums complaining, but the authentication delays combined with the cache problems (I was part of that ~20% that had a screwy preload, ended up talking with Erik Johnson on the phone and sending a copy of my cache to help them fix it) meant that all the glowing reviews were posted right alongside tales of waiting hours or days to be able to play what was supposed to be available to the whole world in the same instant. They've improved their launches quite a bit since then, but I also don't think they've had that big of a launch since.

Also, I wanna plushie! I wish Valve had a physical store in Seattle, I'd get some relatives to send me one. Oh well, I guess my Fuzzy Companion Mammals (cats) will have to do for snuggling and puzzle-solving this Christmas.

427 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo