Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Crysis: No More Patches, Linux Server on Hold
15. Re: thats a bunch of bs! Jun 1, 2008, 19:21 Evil Timmy

Sorry, but what terribly important things is Crysis lacking that can be added in a patch? (And spare me the snide 'story/fun/real gameplay' comments). I've just played the SP, not MP (try getting a game in SE Asia), and really enjoyed it up until everything froze and every bit of tactics and choice went out the window in favor of 'sprint to cover-shoot alien-repeat'. While the performance may still be lacking, it's an incomparably pretty game, and I've run into virtually no bugs, in-game or in the editor.

That said, if they announce Crysis Episodes: Uno: The Were-Turtle Strikes, I might just choke a bitch. Valve showed the world how not to do 'episodes', and I've got far less faith in Crytek.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Mass Effect
73. Re: No subject May 31, 2008, 06:01 Evil Timmy

From what I've heard, the crack is working, but the game is buggy, and people with both legit and cracked versions have been running into problems with the galaxy map and saving. You'd think that with a port they could work their issues out with plenty of time, as they've made most of their money already and are now selling to a notoriously finicky and demanding PC gaming market, which will rip any game, dev, publisher, or passing moose a new asshole, just to prove that they have control.

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: In other news May 21, 2008, 03:42 Evil Timmy

If you want to be truly good, you have to sacrifice.
This should be a 'duh' statement, but sadly it's not. The choices aren't moral, it's more 'follows directions exactly' vs 'is a huge douchebag'. Being evil as most of the world defines it is being selfish and deceptive, which results in short-term rewards but long-term consequences. Being good is worrying about others first and being honest, which has an abstract reward (people like and trust you more) but less immediate payoff. Dialogue-wise, most games miss that an evil character should be a smoother talker, using lies to build up false trust and then exploiting that (only stupid evil characters need to threaten directly). Why threaten a farmer with a sword when you could pretend to be a celibate monk, gaining access to his house, his daughter, and his valuables. Conversely, a goodie two-shoes type who solidly sticks to their righteous path should occasionally be deceived into doing something other than intended, even evil, by someone who preys on naive types. As long as every good/evil decision plays by the rules above, it should be believable and meaningful, rather than clearly thoughtless and solely a means to a reward or alignment.

News Comments > Age of Conan DX10 Delay
14. Re: No subject May 19, 2008, 22:00 Evil Timmy

After a long while of putting it off, I may finally go the Vista/DX10 route when I upgrade my main PC this summer. Vista came preinstalled on my laptop, and while it's far from a hugely compelling upgrade, I've come to appreciate a few of the new features (the audio mixer is hugely better, for one, and Explorer has been tweaked in a lot of useful ways). After SP1 and driver updates, game performance seems to have leveled off with XP, keeping in mind I'm not talking about games that use DX10 stupidly for a big performance hit, as there's almost always a -dx9 switch to solve that (Extremetech has new benchmarks up: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2302500,00.asp). That, coupled with nVidia finally having hardware that'll truly surpass the 8800GTX on the horizon ( http://www.dvhardware.net/article27294.html ), and 4GB RAM being increasingly necessary for all the work I do, not just gaming, and its ability to run for more than two days without desperately needing a reboot, means Vista is finally starting to look like the right choice.
I run a DX10 card and am getting a kick out of these replys.
timesten, go back to Fark! This is not the place to get your kicks!
//or your slashies

This comment was edited on May 19, 22:02.

News Comments > Still No Fallout 3 Demo
45. Re: No subject May 15, 2008, 03:13 Evil Timmy

its the closest to an OFFLINE MMO you will ever get
This is really the worst thing about Oblivion, and absolutely what I don't want in an single-player RPG. The SP aspect should reward you for exploring every nook and cranny of the world, allow you to significantly shape the progress of the story, world, and characters therein, and eschew grinding in favor of a broad spectrum of varied and interesting quests. The MMO-ish aspect (minimally different dungeons, the boring Oblivion gates) took half the fun out of the game, because you were doing the exact same thing in the same Lego-set-piece areas for random loot in the same chest, aka grinding. It missed out on all the strengths an SP RPG has to offer. If an offline MMO is what you're after, set up your own UO shard and enjoy hours and hours of boring vanilla gameplay, and stay away from my unique and varied SP experience.

Although horribly buggy (but in a decent state now) Gothic 3 did a great job of playing to those strengths. There were loads of items scattered around the world, and you could brave some very tough enemies early on in exchange for some powerful items or stacks of loot. You could choose between a few distinct paths through the story, and they'd affect your whole experience. Certain characters could be killed or saved, with varying results. And there were moral choices, for you as a character and player, which I feel are necessary to keeping a level of immersion. Even Morrowind did a better job at utilizing SPs strengths, with the best example being the East Empire Company in Bloodmoon. As you completed quests, and based on a few decisions along the way, you watched an entire settlement being built, progressing along with you. It really showed how you could shape the world you were playing in, something that's sorely lacking in MMOs, EVE Online being the exception, and it's one of my favorite aspects of any game (hell, I wrote an EEC walkthrough, which is still up on GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/589642/23807 ).

I'd consider myself a fairly hardcore Fallout fan. By far my longest gaming session ever was a completist playthrough of Fallout 2, which clocked in at over 3 days, stopping to eat and use the bathroom (I was 13, I got the game for Christmas, and it was a boring holiday). I still play 1+2 every 18 months or so, and enjoy them every time. But I'm not stupid enough to expect the same experience I had almost a decade ago out of Fallout 3. Bethesda seems to have a lot of real fans on staff, and everything I've seen makes it look like they're focusing on a smaller, more detailed, more choice-driven world, which along with the serious setting that doesn't take itself too seriously, is exactly what the Fallouts were about. Mass Effect was a big step for Bioware compared to most of their previous games, but the shift in perspective and new take on dialogue worked to make a great game, and I think took certain aspects of the RPG experience to a new level. Bethesda looks to be doing the same thing, and in a setting I love, so I'm at least willing to give them the benefit of the doubt before I have a chance to play the game. And even if it doesn't recreate FO1+2 step for step, I'm certainly open to enjoying the world of Fallout in a way that was nigh inconceivable back when the original games were brand new.

News Comments > Gold - Bus Driver
46. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 03:44 Evil Timmy

This would be interesting if it were tied into a version of GTA4 perhaps
You could actually do this in GTA2 (or maybe GTA, it's been a while). Well, without routes, but if you jacked a bus and stopped at various stops marked on the pavement, you'd make a few bucks picking up passengers and dropping them off.

News Comments > Federal Video Game Bill
75. Re: No subject May 9, 2008, 03:14 Evil Timmy

As if we needed more to prove how foolish this attempt is, according to an article at Next-Gen.biz ( http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10376&Itemid=2 ), games are the most difficult rated-for-adults products for underage people to buy, even without any legal enforcement, as the numbers have steadily plummeted this decade. As usual, Bill Harris has an excellent wrap-up of the news at his blog ( http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2008/05/well-isnt-this-interesting.html ). Quoted:
The survey found that 20% of underage teenage shoppers were able to buy M-rated video games, a major improvement from all prior surveys, and down from 42% in 2006.

20%? What was that number in 2000? Oh, yeah--85%.

Here's the progression:
2000--85%
2001--76%
2003--69%
2006--42%
2008--20%
Dead in the water? I think so.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Announced
88. Re: DOOM3 May 9, 2008, 01:17 Evil Timmy

Yeah, I played The Club. It's vaguely amusing for a few minutes, but it's less the kinesthetic feast I'm hoping for and more a mediocre take on CoD4's arcade mode, with a bit of the annoying repetition of the Stuntman series thrown in. The bonuses are purely optional, and I mentioned them as a way of giving an alternative to the usual methods of health regeneration and easy respawning in games. The core of what I'm hoping for is to see a game that makes your character feel like they're in the world, and have that affect gameplay, rather than feeling like a floating gun with a life meter. When you consider most shooters, it's rare enough that you can even see your feet, much less getting a feel that you've got weight, inertia, and can interact with the world. Even an indie like Mount&Blade seems to understand this, although somewhat simply, by having your speed relative to your target increase the damage you do.

Middleware like Euphoria and Havok show off what I'm talking about, and maybe the upcoming Star Wars Force Unleashed makes a better case than anything I've mentioned before. In the same way that a crate hurled at high speeds does more damage than one slowly rolling on the ground, so should a sprinting player do more damage with a melee attack, or by simply bowling over enemies. FPSes have made a big deal about adding physics to the environment over the past few years, how about adding it to players? Seems like a logical next step, not to mention a lot of fun.

News Comments > DOOM 4 Announced
84. Re: DOOM3 May 8, 2008, 15:17 Evil Timmy

One thing I think most games truly fail in is really being 'movie-like', and it's a problem of focus. For whatever reason, most devs seem to think movie-like means cutscenes and dialogue, but what is it that everyone really wants? The goddamn ACTION. This is one thing the FEAR games have really done well, and games in the future would do well to copy. In action movies, how often does the hero cower behind a crate and poke out for headshots, or run back to regain health? There's few more satisfying experiences in gaming than tossing a grenade, rushing out just as it explodes, seeing a corpse ragdoll through the air as you jumpkick a second guy in the face, landing two feet in front of someone you hadn't spotted, and quickly dispatching him with a point-blank shotgun blast that sends him into a bloody backflip. This all in a heart-pounding four second span.

In fact, why not base a game, and especially its regeneration, around precisely that? If you hide behind boxes, snipe at an achingly slow pace, and are generally a coward, your health (and/or XP, damage bonus, whatever) ticks up slowly. On the flipside, reward actions like the story above (which brought a smile to my face in FEAR Perseus Mandate), take these games that are supposed to replicate the balls-out fury of a blockbuster action movie and actually reward people for acting like an over-the-top action hero. Give the option to replay particularly dynamic scenes (esp. with a well-tuned third person 'Action Replay') and share them with friends. And be sure the game itself is rewarding, by adding more moves coupled with satisfying effects and animations, increasing damage and carnage, having really usable and destructible environments, and by giving unique options and attack styles for jumping/running attacks, melee, and all the different weapons.

Mirror's Edge is a yet-to-be-released and somewhat extreme case of what I'm talking about, and there's a new trailer of it at GameTrailers ( http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33585.html ). Imagine that sense of weight and motion added to an FPS, and how that could change the current feeling of basically being an agile tank, a cylinder with a turret that rolls out, shoots, and rolls back, that seems to be the dominant paradigm in FPSes for the last, well, ever.

News Comments > MS on the State of PC Gaming
18. Re: Conflict of interest May 8, 2008, 14:33 Evil Timmy

Halo was a PC and Mac title at outset, I've still got an old Maximum PC with a preview of how features like multitexturing would show off new DirectX features and hardware. Pissed me off when MS bought Bungie and it became an Xbox exclusive.

News Comments > On Mass Effect & Spore Copy Protection
244. Re: Service Based May 7, 2008, 14:16 Evil Timmy

The only game I can think of where DRM/antipiracy measures actually worked was Splinter Cell Chaos Theory on PC. Without some insanely esoteric trickery, it took over a year for a working cracked version to be released. Very little else has lasted more than a week, and modern games are routinely available day-of-release if not earlier. But the whole purpose of DRM is to deter casual piracy. Nobody is (I hope) stupid enough to think that those dedicated to pirating software won't find a way. As I heard someone say in response to a pirated version of something or other not being available, "Top warez scientists are working on it right now." I would argue that with the prevalence of torrents, and the general worldwide increase in broadband speeds and availability, all piracy has become casual. And rather than punishing everyone but the pirates, there needs to be more incentive to purchase a game legitimately (since the IP infringement boogeyman, and simple morality, clearly aren't cutting it).

First, offer simple incentives (extra content, contests, online leaderboards, tags, whatever) for registering your product. In addition to increased sales, you also gain valuable marketing info. Second, for retail customers, put something useful in the box. I know I've still got quite a lot of cloth maps, beautiful and detailed manuals, coins, and other 'feelies' from many older games, but it's been a while since I've purchased a retail-boxed game that came with more than a DVD, a thin manual, and a registration postcard. This, along with nonfunctional, buggy, and/or performance-degrading DRM, has definitely pushed me to buying the majority of my PC games via online services, who have to make their systems work. Third, require some form of registration for ongoing online services. This could mean further content, forums, support, special websites with useful and interesting information, or whatever your heart may desire. Also, be innovative. There are certainly many other options than online keychecks or disc verification to keep your game from being pirated. Developers, take a more active stand, by either working with your publisher for a solution that's workable for you, them (meaning the stockholders) and your customers, or by ignoring DRM altogether.

And finally, and most importantly, be good. Produce games that are stable, polished, and enjoyable on day one, don't treat your customers like filth begging for your table scraps, treat them like what they are, people who love the same things you do and are eager to see what comes out of your hard work. Happy customers are loyal customers, and will support you with their time, effort, speech, and hard-earned cash, so that you both can continue to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
This comment was edited on May 7, 14:17.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: fastsilicon.com May 7, 2008, 10:37 Evil Timmy

These DRM systems are crap, and make it unnecessarily painful, especially when I've got a game on my desktop and want to play it on my laptop. I'm frequently gone for a week or more, with no chance of the game being played on both systems simultaneously, but many of these systems treat me like a pirate and require me to call support (on an expensive international call) to even play a game I've legitimately purchased.

Mass Effect looks great and from limited play on the 360 seems like a lot of fun. So I'll purchase it, leave it in the shrink-wrap, and download the inevitable cracked release within a few days. Why is it that the fictional horror stories from a few years ago, such as frequent day-one patches, crippling DRM, and spotty online activation, have all come true? Scientists have frequently mentioned Star Trek as an inspiration for their new technologies, but let's reverse that. Imagine if Data were ordered to go on an away mission, but refused to on the grounds he hadn't checked with his creator to see that his software was legitimate. "But Dr. Soong is dead!" "I'm sorry sir, please reactivate my nerual net." "Dammit Data!" *phaser blast*

News Comments > etc.
1. OMG! May 4, 2008, 18:41 Evil Timmy

The big bad Valve is out to get us! Their evil scheme this time: charging less money. Will their cruel tyranny ever end?!

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: No subject May 4, 2008, 10:12 Evil Timmy

From the Xbox360 manual, the PC version will be out on December 13, 2008. Source: http://gamesweasel.com/blog/news/gta-iv-pc-release-date/

Who could possibly imagine wanting to pirate a game - at least any decent game - over the Net with a 9600 or even 28.8 baud modem?
When I was dialing in to my local BBSes, and both my KB/s and age were in the single digits, even a game as large as a full 1.44MB floppy would take, at most, half an hour, whereas modern 6GB+ games would take three or four times that assuming you could saturate a 10Mbit connection. Yes, it was more difficult to acquire anything pirated, but computers were far more expensive and difficult as well, meaning that users had to be more technologically adept. The market was smaller, and anti-piracy measures amounted to 'quote word x from paragraph y on page z of the manual' if they existed at all. The only time in recent memory piracy was on a downturn was after the advent of CD drives in PCs; CD burners were well out of the reach of all but the most well-off home users and hard drives weren't big enough to store more than one or two games, again, except for those who had large amounts of disposable income and could easily afford the games. Pirating games has never been easier, I'm not contesting that, but relative to the times, it's never been that difficult.
This comment was edited on May 4, 10:26.

News Comments > Valve Q&A
7. Re: Valve is no longer in the game business May 3, 2008, 12:05 Evil Timmy

They are a for profit corporation now, not a game developer
I think you'll find that any team that isn't the former won't be the latter, at least not for long. Every developer I've met, talked to on the phone or online, or emailed, has been extremely passionate about their work. A game succeeding doesn't mean the devs immediately retire to their estate on the coast to count their money, it means they've got much more freedom to work on their next project, and in fact are less constrained by the corporate desire to make profit before all else. If anything, that's what motivates them: a quality game will sell, meaning they've got money to further refine and patch it, and can also work on their next project with less hanging over them. Nobody wants to see years of work destroyed because they don't have enough money to finish off a game (look at what happened to Gothic 3).

If you're going to be cynical about the games industry, there's far more worthy subjects and developers to be cynical about. With the general low standards and corporate-minded greed of publishers like EA and Ubisoft, and their frequent shafting of PC users, especially on console ports, Valve is a paragon of virtue in comparison. If any sort of corporate structure really chafes your balls that much, support IGDA winners and indie developers like TaleWords (Mount&Blade) with your hard-earned, but realize that without the money to support them, no developer can be focused and dedicated to providing you with enjoyable experiences in amazing worlds.

News Comments > Get a Life for Half-Life 2
1. Impressive May 1, 2008, 13:18 Evil Timmy

Downloaded this a few days ago, and it's really one of the most impressive SP mods I've ever seen. New, well, pretty much everything, including a Deus Ex-style damage system and pretty solid level design. If you're looking for something new to occupy the next couple hours, this will fit the bill well, and appears to be even longer than Ep2. And it's free!

News Comments > Mass Effect Preorders
29. Re: About pre-ordering... Apr 30, 2008, 09:54 Evil Timmy

First off, don't take this question the wrong way, Jerykk, it's purely one of curiosity, with no finger-pointing. I'm wondering at what point you consider a game 'evaluated'. Do you play for a certain time, or through the first act, or do you finish it and buy it only if you'd replay it? And how much does multiplayer factor in? Your issue seems to be how many cookies you eat before you determine the batch is good (sorry, just took some bourbon-walnut-chococolate-chip cookies out of the oven, they're invading my brain while still too hot to invade my stomach). The last game I pre-ordered was Doom 3, and felt pretty burned by that, at least until Doom Classic made it feel more worthwhile, courtesy of devoted fans and years later. Valve's frequent 10% discounts for the first week are appreciated, as that's enough time for both professional reviews and community feedback to accumulate.

And while I'm really looking forward to Mass Effect, PC ports are always on shaky ground (a middle finger in your direction, Gears of War, and everything that uses the shamefully bad Games for Windows Live API). I'll be on tour until a month or so after the game's release, so I'll have plenty of time to see opinions after the fact, but why not extend the question out to everyone. What does it usually take to convince you to buy a game? Solid previews, 80%+ on MetaCritic or GameRankings, a trusted reviewer's nod, community support, good multiplayer, a demo, or a run-through of the actual game via piracy?

News Comments > TF2 Update Next Week, No Portal 2 this Year
36. Re: Typical Valve Hubris Apr 27, 2008, 09:06 Evil Timmy

The only real difference over those previous games' portals is that Portal's are fired from a gun.

Aah, so you're saying the only real difference is the entire game? Look, I can understand the hate in general, but that's just a ridiculous statement. Prey's portals are at least visually similar, but the entire basis for Portal is that you solve various puzzles by careful timing and placement of multiple portals. In Prey, they exist to make me dizzy when I just want to be shooting stuff, and are little more than a gimmick. Serious Sam did a better job of integrating portals and reverse- (or perverse-) gravity sections, IMO.

News Comments > Saturday Q&As
7. Re: No subject Apr 27, 2008, 08:44 Evil Timmy

For those of you complaining about the homogenous nature of all these interviews, here's an excellent article by Leigh Alexander (who writes for GameSetWatch and The Escapist) at her blog ( http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.com/2008/04/aint-no-holiday.html )

All companies -- not just in the games industry, mind you -- need to decide on a consistent message to put out to the press. Their public relations teams are tasked with staying on top of the current issues in their given industry and preparing that consistent message on every issue under the sun. In other words, executives are largely scripted and have been prepped ahead of time when talking to the press.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: SP3 Apr 27, 2008, 08:37 Evil Timmy

If you really think you'll miss that (and I can confirm it's missing in SP3 RTM), try the new Windows Desktop Search ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 ). It lets you type in an address in a similar way (and will open in Firefox or your default browser), and is a vast improvement over the default search.

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo