Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Evil Timmy

Real Name Evil Timmy   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 109217332
Description I'm an electro/glitch/bmore/breaks DJ and long-time avid gamer from Hong Kong. BitTorrent is another one of my hobbies, and I've been an active part of the community since early 2003.
Homepage None given.
Signed On Nov 22, 2003, 10:24
Total Comments 426 (Amateur)
User ID 19465

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex Clothing Line
12. Re: Deus Ex Clothing Line Aug 23, 2011, 03:36 Evil Timmy

That trench coat looks pretty decent, but I was disappointed to see they didn't make it with the textured/embroidered design panels like, say, everyone in the game is wearing. They're a cool touch that really sets the clothing apart, and makes it feel like it's a style trend from a different era. Sure, it might look a little funny in real life, but you're already paying $200 for game-inspired clothing, might as well go all out and actually get something that'll be eye-catching and maybe even conversation-starting.

Really wish I didn't have an early/long day tomorrow, otherwise I'd most definitely be marathoning through the game as we speak. The original gets a replay every other year and it's still great, if this game is half as fun and involving I'll be overjoyed.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 23, 2011, 00:19 Evil Timmy

Also, how useless is it to run the game at 1680x1050, especially when that'll result in framerates well over what any consumer-grade display will be able to output? They're benchmarks the old-school way: numbers that are useless except for the online equivalent of comparing sizes at the gym. That's why [H]ardOCP (BTW, thanks for the review link, Calwen) is always my choice for hardware reviews, due to their benchmarking methodology. What matters is what settings you can run on various hardware configs, not "This card gets 45FPS, whereas the other card gets 48FPS!" The former you'll notice most if not all of the time, the latter you'd be hard pressed to see without an FPS counter. Yet, the [H] is still the only place I know of using that far more reasonable performance metric.  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
57. Re: Gone Gold - Deus Ex: Human Revolution Jul 27, 2011, 18:52 Evil Timmy

GMG = Green Man Gaming. They had DX:HR for $35 plus 15% off about a week ago. Probably worth waiting for the weekend and a similar sale. Here's a Refer-a-friend link, if you sign up through that and spend more than $5 we both get $5 credit, so feel free to post yours afterwards and keep the chain going.  

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Battlelog Battleblog
9. Re: Battlefield 3 Battlelog Battleblog Jul 21, 2011, 14:24 Evil Timmy

Heh, the title of this post is starting to remind me of all the Bat-accessories and their ridiculousness, especially the Adam-West-starring 60's tv show. Let's see how far EA might take it...

Guns? Nope, it's a Battleshooter.
Servers? Battlehost.
Players? Try Battlefriends.
Tank? Cruise around in your Battlehopper.
Money? Browse the EA Store and spend Battlecash.
Girlfriend? Battlestopper.
Chat? It's now Battletalk.
Monitor? Battlescreen.
Internet? Battletubes.
Finally, it's not called war anymore...it's the battlefight!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 20, 2011, 04:41 Evil Timmy

value for the consumer in micro-transactions and social experiences

So now you can tell all your FB friends you paid $5 for a shiny new Breastplate of Noobdom from a convenient button in-game? Hurrah!

I agree that the draw of the graphics is fading; if the next generation of consoles can live up to what's promised in Epic's Samaritan demo, especially if they can pull that off at launch and squeeze more out of the hardware as years progress, visual fidelity won't be an issue. The depth of play, however, is what they really need to catch up on, and that may suffer even further.

Yes, having 8GB of RAM and a quad-core CPU and other shiny silicon may lead to bigger levels and crisper textures, but it'll also lead to more artists, designers, coders, scripters, testers, etc who have to put more work into creating that same space. Choice has already been restricted sharply by the cost of covering multiple dialogue choices, branched storylines, the sort of real choice and change that games are uniquely able to offer among entertainment media, so what happens when it costs twice as much to enable each divergent path? Even the upcoming DX:HR, which isn't pushing current-gen consoles visually, is rare in having reasonably-complex dialogue trees that really effect story. Maybe the still-theoretical omni-platform game is the only way we'll truly see progress, interacting with a greater whole via the way in which each device is uniquely suited, offering targeted slices of a large world. By focusing on different methods of interaction (TV, PC, phone, tablet, ARG) we might get more than a fleeting taste of the uber-game many of us have been dreaming of since the earliest inception of gaming.

News Comments > Call of Duty Convention in September
9. Re: Call of Duty Convention in September Jun 30, 2011, 13:33 Evil Timmy

A few years back it was plastic guitars and playing songs your parents listened to...what'll be the next new thing that's huge for a few years before it'sunceremoniously run into the ground? The Valhalla-like modern military shooter will officially be horse jerky by this fall's new releases. So...will it be wildlife preserve simulators? First person Peggle? Extreme pennyfarthing stunt battles (Sir Anthony Gyrfalcon's Amusmodrome)? Taking all bets! I also have video poker!  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Trailer
14. Re: BioShock Infinite Trailer Jun 25, 2011, 02:59 Evil Timmy

I swear, I've heard someone speaking in that same big-thoughts conversational style...

*imagines Ken Levine over at his buddy's house, joint in one hand, beer in the other*

Ohh, yeah, that completes the picture. I mean that in a complimentary way, too, I think most people have had that friend whose mind just seems to be going on a whole different plane, where one spark of an idea sets off wheels within wheels. Ken's definitely there, except instead of using it for idle stoner chatter, he's using it to shape a really unique game world, and I'm really curious to see how it turns out. The first Bioshock seemed to nail the atmosphere and engaging story, the second locked down the gameplay...as long as the team's learned their lessons from both, and if the world turns out as truly fantastic as it looks so far, this could really be a great game.

Now pass that thing, Ken...

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play
2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Goes Free-to-Play Jun 23, 2011, 22:07 Evil Timmy

Ehh, the microtransactions are for aesthetic items only, aka no gameplay difference. How is that pay to win?

Also, this is clearly a ploy to get new users hooked before they release TF3. In 2019.

News Comments > Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus
32. Re: Skyrim Map as Preorder Bonus Jun 23, 2011, 22:03 Evil Timmy

jimnms wrote on Jun 23, 2011, 20:38:
Not when I can get it for $20-$30 6 months later and after most of the bugs have been patched out.

And, of course, the best thing about Bethesda games on PC: by that time, the mod community will have really had a crack at it. By the six month mark, some of the first TCs or big content additions should be out, and all the balance and UI mods (which are undoubtedly necessary) will have been fine tuned and tested. In other words, the game's truly playable at that point.

News Comments > PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend
8. Re: PC Lead Platform on Tribes Ascend Jun 21, 2011, 21:21 Evil Timmy

Great...the thing that made Tribes enjoyable (and I was a T2 fan first and foremost) was the combination of smoothness and speed. If you played well, you'd be moving at incredible speeds but actually aiming slowly, as each motion was carefully planned and targets were more allowed to drift in front of you than aimed at. The kind of motion needed really is only possible with the speed and precision of a mouse; a controller may be a hindrance in a standard FPS but this would humble even the most skilled twinstick user. Let's hope this really is true and they set it up for the skilled PC user, then just slow everything down for console peasants.  

News Comments > GRID Off the Grid
18. Re: GRID Off the Grid Jun 21, 2011, 01:52 Evil Timmy

GRID is still one of the few examples of games with an online competitive drift mode, and in any case it's the drift mode I've had the most fun with. NFSU2 was the last game I can think of that had a drift mode worth mentioning (fun, challenging, and competitive), although I've played little of the newer NFS games due to a general dislike of their look and feel. Dirt 3, while otherwise excellent, kinda fails in the drift department. So, yeah, this is a pretty crappy move on Codemasters' part...letting consumers host their own servers would be a great way to keep the community alive.  

News Comments > New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers
8. Re: New AMD/ATI Reference Drivers Jun 15, 2011, 21:15 Evil Timmy

I've run both Ati and Nvidia (sometimes both, between the gaming and office PCs), and there really is a trade-off for each. Currently my biggest deciding factor is overscan support for connecting to an HDTV or projector. Nvidia completely lacks any support for overscan/underscan, and the custom resolution/resize options reduce resolution and result in hard-to-read text, which is a real killer when trying to play anything that requires reading, or just browsing the web. AMD has those settings as a simple slider that works perfectly. In general, though, I've been happier with nVidia's drivers in terms of stability and not messing up new games, where AMD/ATi have always been a little shaky (see the 99%-use-on-idle bug that was in six months of releases late last/earlier this year, and having to wipe the drivers every time if you want CCC to work). The limited market tends to mean that you'll get very similar performance at most every price point, so if you're buying based on big-screen gaming or HTPC use, go AMD, otherwise just see whose cards have better rebates/deals when you're ready to buy.  

News Comments > BF3 Preorder Backlash
56. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 18:13 Evil Timmy

DangerDog: Well, it certainly appears I was wrong about that one...thought I read that it was just going to be out sooner for pre-orders, not a whole separate paid DLC. They gave away a set of remade maps with a BC2 patch, so I assumed they'd be doing the same this time around, just giving a little extra nudge for rabid fans to pre-order. I guess nobody ever went broke betting that game publishers would stoop even lower to scare up a few sales.  

News Comments > BF3 Preorder Backlash
42. Re: BF3 Preorder Backlash Jun 13, 2011, 15:17 Evil Timmy

Wowbagger_TIP: The map pack (Back to Karkand or something) will be released a month after BF3 for everyone, likely with the first major patch, preorders just get it on day one. It's just ported versions of BF2/BC2 maps (like BC2 got in later patches), not exclusive new content.

These preorder bonuses are yet another dumb way for paying customers to get screwed with. At least for SP games, pirates get a better deal again, as warez groups will just toss in ALL the pre-order DLC, and often any later DLC items that come out, because it's so easy to do it's just an afterthought. I bought DA:O but it's still in shrinkwrap, because I didn't think pre-ordering and even then being limited to one set of shinies that are already in the game is anywhere near a reasonable expectation.

The last game I pre-ordered was Borderlands on Steam, and that was just for the discount. The only game I can see pre-ordering (from Amazon) on the upcoming release calendar is Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which absolutely won me over with the press demo and generally very favorable impressions from journos I trust, RPS being at the forefront.

News Comments > Need for Speed: The Run Trailer
5. Re: Need for Speed: The Run Trailer Jun 7, 2011, 00:28 Evil Timmy

I believe "The Run" they're talking about is how far EA can run this once-proud series into the ground, by diluting the name with whatever inane concept happened to seem good to the board of directors this year. They've clearly forgotten it, but the first game in the series was actually pre-titled "Road and Track presents", and it had videos of the cars, detailed info, and while having an arcadey physics model (because detailed real-time vehicle simulations were a ways off) it attempted to show the love people had for driving these vehicles in something approaching real-world scenarios. At least the games were about driving.

While the addition of Autolog is a nice feature, it seems like the developers are more focused on getting CoD-style RPG-lite addictiveness in every aspect, as opposed to providing a variety of tracks and improved driving feel. The QTEs...while I'm not a fan in general, at least games like Crysis 2 and The Witcher 2 make sense, in that the action you're performing matches what you're used to doing and is visually cued as such (ie it's clear you have to walk forward even without the blinking alert, so you use the walk control, or it's stabbity-time, so you use your normal attack key/button).

Not only do the controls in the QTEs have nothing to do with your normal racing, but the sequences themselves seem so over the top ridiculous that they must have come from the brain of Michael Bay in the midst of a multi-day coke-fueled rager. Even The Matrix didn't have Neo dropping seventy feet to a rooftop without slowing down, yet our purportedly-human protagonist does it without thinking and while dodging chaingun fire from a helicopter. The highly linear escape sequence (really? no choice of how to run?) certainly isn't about to change my impressions about the almost-criminal level of over-the-top dudebro action movie stupidity found in this trailer.

News Comments > The Witcher 2 Workarounds
7. Re: The Witcher 2 Workarounds May 21, 2011, 00:18 Evil Timmy

I'm running a newish-midrange 1GB Radeon 5850 (backed up by an i7 930 and 6GB DDR3) and the game runs great, solidly 40+ FPS on Ultra and just gorgeous. It's not just the technical aspect of the graphics, though, it's the overarching art style and the shocking lack of glitches. That last point is really a big one: there's no textures sticking through other textures, flashing, weird field effects, obvious banding or grandients, or any of the other things I'd just come to accept as part and parcel of current graphics, and that consistency combined with high-quality assets and overall direction make amazing graphics unobtrusive. Unobtrusive is really the ultimate goal in visual fidelity: make the imagery so good that it's the character, story, plot, game mechanics, and everything else that draw you in, and that's because what you're seeing isn't constantly jolting your brain with "This is fake!" warnings. Not to say that they always get away with it, but it's a big enough leap that everything else will look that bit duller.  

News Comments > LucasArts Signs Unreal Engine 3 Deal
2. Re: LucasArts Sign Unreal Engine 3 Deal Apr 26, 2011, 13:53 Evil Timmy

Bulletstormtroopers.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2011, 16:38 Evil Timmy

There's a great, experimentally-based how-to-perfectly-cook-meat guide from Serious Eats. They even tackle the myth of the sear: basically, you're just cooking extra moisture off the outside while overcooking the meat, and you end up with less juice overall.  

News Comments > Humble Bundle Investment
5. Re: Humble Bundle Investment Apr 23, 2011, 22:44 Evil Timmy

I LIKED YUO BETTAR BEFOAR U SOLD OUT!!!!1  

News Comments > Portal 2 Nears
137. Re: Portal 2 Nears Apr 19, 2011, 01:52 Evil Timmy

Buzz on the Steam forums seems to be that those who got all the regular potatoes (35-ish) and the golden potato from the ARG just got gifted the Valve Complete Pack including Portal 2. However, only HL2+EP1 are re-giftable, so there's a lot of people that just found out they won...a bunch of stuff they already had. Kinda seems dumb to give away a prize to the group of people most likely to have already purchased that prize, but then again, episodic gaming seemed like the savior of the gaming industry at one point. To repurpose the immortal words of William Goldman, the games industry is clearly just like Hollywood, "nobody knows anything."  

426 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo